• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question: Is it Okay to order delivery in bad weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT:

I probably worded this incorrectly, or titled it incorrectly, or both.

My main question is not so much if it’s okay to order in bad weather, but more so rather how much additional tip is appropriate/standard for inclement weather deliveries.

———————————
Original post:

Where I live it’s a little below freezing currently and moisture isn’t coming down hard but flakes to make the roads pretty icy. I also live in these rural outskirts of a big county, usually the last area to get roads cleared/salted and all that.

Mondays are usually when I order delivery. Is it a dick move to order delivery in bad weather/potentially dangerous road conditions?

Is it okay, I just need to add to my normal tip? If so how much more should I tip?

Thanks for any input.

Your Friend,

Cult of Fartnoise/Chunk Loves Sloth/JareBear

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
what would you consider adequate tip compensation? Somewhere around 20 percent? More, less?

The last time we talked about this, the forum almost ripped itself apart. : P

I usually do 20 percent. Like, if it’s inclement weather outside, and they had difficulty driving and bringing it to the porch and such, I’d probably do a bit more..

Most people aren’t made of money, and would probably do something similar, I imagine.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That’s mainly what I’m trying to figure out though.

What is an appropriate bad weather tip?

If you normally tip two or three, tip at least five. If you’re talking a blizzard where it’s too dangerous for a lot of cars to even drive, go higher.

IJygCwM.jpg

this was my last order, in optimal conditions

I’ve been sitting here for the last hour not knowing how much I should add, another 5 bucks, double it

the reason I ask is because the last time I ordered something during bad weather, it was a pretty simple dominoes pizza delivery. It was a pretty modest order, like 18 bucks total. I tipped 6 bucks thinking that was fair but the driver looked at me like I was an asshole and said something under his breath as he walked away. I felt bad ever since. What seems generous in my mind could in fact be cheap in reality

I’m not a very socially adept/street smart kinda person.

Last edited:

greyshark

this was my last order, in optimal conditions

I’ve been sitting here for the last hour not knowing how much I should add, another 5 bucks, double it

the reason I ask is because the last time I ordered during bad weather was a pretty simple dominoes pizza delivery. It was a pretty modest order, like 18 bucks total. I tipped 6 bucks thinking that was fair but the driver looked at me like I was an asshole and said something under his breath as he walked away. I felt bad ever since. What seems generous in my mind could in fact be cheap in reality

If you consider the roads safe enough for you to drive, your normal tip is probably fine. $6 tip on an $18 order is more than enough IMO. I wouldn't sweat it too bad, just add a bit more to your normal tip if you feel like the roads are bad.

Paltheos

Yes. That's their job.
I definitely keep in mind when tipping. Even if it's their job, it can be dangerous. Usually there's a reason I'm not going out because I'm cheap and impatient.

It's their job too. It's one reason why delivery exists. We have bad weather today and no food in house. I'd order in a heartbeat if I could.

zeorhymer

I hate tipping culture in general. Especially going to a "fast casual" place and they have a dumb tip screen. Since I would be ordering food in a middle of a blizzard and they actually arrive, they're going above and beyond delivering items considering the hazardous conditions, I'm sure as hell going to tip their brains out. I'd probably tip them the price of the order or something.

Mihos

Gold Member
I make it worth their while. A few of our regular places even throw in some freebies for us at this point.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How dufuq that 70 bucks?
Don't worry, it was only $30

Last edited:

DESTROYA

the reason I ask is because the last time I ordered something during bad weather, it was a pretty simple dominoes pizza delivery. It was a pretty modest order, like 18 bucks total. I tipped 6 bucks thinking that was fair but the driver looked at me like I was an asshole and said something under his breath as he walked away. I felt bad ever since. What seems generous in my mind could in fact be cheap in reality

$6 dollar tip on a $18 dollar order is good, the delivery driver was just being a dick.
Food delivery drivers make good money .

manfestival

It is totally ok to order delivery during bad weather.
The problem is that you think you are wrong but the fact is that you are taking away a work opportunity from them by NOT ordering if you want to have such a view of such. Weather is a natural occurrence and it may be inconvenient but we are all aware but still got at least 1 mouth to feed at a bare minimum.
Tip the person more if it bothers you so much.

Last edited:
We don’t even have an option to tip through apps here, the only thing we could do is hand them some cash at the door (but who carries cash anymore?).

Well, yeah. It's their job. I don't think they'll think less of you if you order food on a bad day. Like I said, it's their job.
But since it's bad weather, I'd tip them a bit more then usual.

Then shouldn't their pay and that restaurant's menu prices be reflective of no tipping to begin with?
Probably is for all I know. we don’t tip here usually, unless you are at a restaurant with a bunch of people and everyone just rounds up their portion of the bill. If I’m paying a service in cash personally (like a taxi or barber) I’ll just round up my charge, but I’m usually withdrawing cash for those services, when I’m ordering take out, I normally don’t have cash.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

There is just something about a blizzard that makes pizza and/or kebabs taste better. Enjoyment is proportional per inch of un-shoveled side walk or driveway. I do tip appropriately though, make it worth their while if i want continued inclement weather deliveries.

Gargus

Banned
Are they open? Then the answer is yes it's ok to order delivery.

I hate tipping culture in general. Especially going to a "fast casual" place and they have a dumb tip screen. Since I would be ordering food in a middle of a blizzard and they actually arrive, they're going above and beyond delivering items considering the hazardous conditions, I'm sure as hell going to tip their brains out. I'd probably tip them the price of the order or something.

As do I and I dont tip. I am not going to pay full price for something and then pay even more on top of that. No, I paid for my food and that's the end of the fucking transaction. Everyone always wants a little more out of you. If the guy doesn't make enough money that he needs my tip then he needs to take it up with his boss or go find another job. The delivery person got paid by me when I paid for my food, I'm not paying for my food and paying his wages on top of it.

Besides why is it only some get tipped? What about the mailman? The ups man? A kid who goes and goes finds something for you in the back room at Walmart? Someone brings you food at Burger King? The guy who comes from true green to your house? There are tons of people in the service industry no one ever tips, but when it comes to food and even then that's circumstantial then you're expected to tip.

So no, I wont tip.

Are they open? Then the answer is yes it's ok to order delivery.

As do I and I dont tip. I am not going to pay full price for something and then pay even more on top of that. No, I paid for my food and that's the end of the fucking transaction. Everyone always wants a little more out of you. If the guy doesn't make enough money that he needs my tip then he needs to take it up with his boss or go find another job. The delivery person got paid by me when I paid for my food, I'm not paying for my food and paying his wages on top of it.

Besides why is it only some get tipped? What about the mailman? The ups man? A kid who goes and goes finds something for you in the back room at Walmart? Someone brings you food at Burger King? The guy who comes from true green to your house? There are tons of people in the service industry no one ever tips, but when it comes to food and even then that's circumstantial then you're expected to tip.

So no, I wont tip.
You didn't pay full price for the meal. If tipping didn't exist all food that have waiting or delivery services would be a bit more expensive. Personally, I'd rather it be done with but one of the key aspects of American cuisine is that you get so much more bang for your buck... because no one considers tipping as part of the cost.

It would be a silly precedent if you went to get your car repaired and you decided if the mechanic got paid for his labor or just purely the parts.

TUROK

There's no right answer, but if I wouldn't drive in said weather, then I wouldn't want anyone else to.

That said, the hypothetical delivery driver is prolly gonna have to drive anyway, cause if you don't order, someone else will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom