Question to those whose 360 has RROD'd:

#1
So, I turned on my Xbox last night, and to my surprise, it red ringed on me.

It's been little over a year since I bought it, and has the Falcon chip or whatever. So, I'm bummed out.

I am now considering, as soon as I get it back from Microsoft, selling it, because most of my friends who have had their system die on them have done so multiple times.

I don't want to deal with that hassle, and would just rather buy a new system.

So, the questions are:

For those who have had their a system die on them, has your system died only once or multiple times?


If the system has died multiple times, how long was it between console deaths?

Please specify what chipset was in each system (if it was refurbished also), and number of deaths you've experienced.

If you haven't experienced any deaths, you can also post that.

Death Tally of 360 Systems: # of people

None:
One: 18
Two: 11
Three: 3
Four: 2
Five: 0
Six: 0
Seven: 1
Eight: 0
Nine: 0
Ten: 1
Eleven: 0
Twelve: 1

---
As of post #94

I will begin tallying specific chipsets in a little bit.
 
#3
That sucks dude.
Mine RRoD'd on me, but if I left it alone for a few hours, it would work fine.
But this process became more and more frequent until it became virtually unplayable and I had to buy a new one (Resi 5 Elite) as the warranty had ended.
 
#6
First X Box? Four times. Bought it at launch. Gave it away, bought a 60 GB last August. No problems since.

With my first 360, it worked fine until a year and a half after launch. Was great for the first three, maybe four months of the red ring scare. I was one of those people who doubted the failure rate. Then bam, red rings, and it happened consistently every four to six months after that (though I often got non-permanent red ring errors in between bricking).
 
#9
10 broken 360:s? At what point do you say "to hell with it" and get something else? I'm still on my first 360 which is now out of warranty but I'd be hard pressed to pay for a new one if it broke.
 
#13
First one, RROD within a month. Returned it to BB and they gave me a new one
Second one, turned it on and had some JP error message. DEAD RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! Returned again.
Third one lasted a week and my disc drive wouldn't close unless I forced it shut. Returned to BB again!
Fourth one lasted for about a year and a half, but after about six months it wouldn't read games the first time, I usually had to open and close the drive about 10 times for any game to work and occasionally got the white JP screen telling me disc was dirty or something.

Eventually I got pissed and wasn't even playing my 360 after I beat NG2 so I sold it to some mexican kid for $250 with the HD DVD player. Will never buy another MS gaming system again.
 
#15
KilgoreTrout said:
So, I turned on my Xbox last night, and to my surprise, it red ringed on me.

It's been little over a year since I bought it, and has the Falcon chip or whatever. So, I'm bummed out.

I am now considering, as soon as I get it back from Microsoft, selling it, because most of my friends who have had their system die on them have done so multiple times.

I don't want to deal with that hassle, and would just rather buy a new system.

So, the question is for those who have had their Xbox die on them, has your system died only once or multiple times?

If the system has died multiple times, how long was it between deaths?
I'm on my third. The first one I got in Nov 06 and it RRoD on me late Dec 08. Got a replacement but that was actually broken. (Loads of graphic issues. Much worse when I first started using it but they never actually went away.) So I've had the current one since Feb 09 or about 2 months and it's working ok so far. (I know I've written this before but I hope the Vahalla revision fixes these issues.)

Honestly I hope the next generation is only a minor upgrade so they can spend more time on reducing power usage which would reduce heat issues too.
 
#16
My system RROD'd once. I received a refurbished system from MS in about a week. That was about three years ago and I haven't had any problems since (except for the very rare RROD, which goes away if I manually turn the system off and on... it happens once every few months).
 
#17
My launch 360 red ringed about two months before the warranty was up. In true xbox repair fashion, they sent me a different refurbished system with a brand new 1 year warranty. I suspect it will need to be repaired two months before the warranty is up.
*whistles and walks away*
 
#18
I had a pre-launch Pepsi contest one that lasted me over a year. I repaired it and got another 3-4 months out it. The current one I have now has been going strong for 2yrs solid.. although I did some hardware modification as soon as I got it.
 
#19
grap3fruitman said:
I'm on my twelfth 360. Yeah...
Don't forget your yearly live fee...

I mean seriously? This is what 2009 and 360's are still bricking and you guys run out and buy more because 2 games on 360 are exclusive[yeah I know there are a few more]. Just doesn't make any sense if you guys work for a living.

Not trollin just baffled. Anyway I dont want to derail op.
 

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
#20
dave_d said:
I'm on my third. The first one I got in Nov 06 and it RRoD on me late Dec 08. Got a replacement but that was actually broken. (Loads of graphic issues. Much worse when I first started using it but they never actually went away.) So I've had the current one since Feb 09 or about 2 months and it's working ok so far. (I know I've written this before but I hope the Vahalla revision fixes these issues.)

Honestly I hope the next generation is only a minor upgrade so they can spend more time on reducing power usage which would reduce heat issues too.
Yes, this is a huge issue that needs addressing. Hopefully MS and Sony will take the Wii approach next time out, and the next system won't require as much power...
 
#21
RavenFox said:
Don't forget your yearly live fee...

I mean seriously? This is what 2009 and 360's are still bricking and you guys run out and buy more because 2 games on 360 are exclusive[yeah I know there are a few more]. Just doesn't make any sense if you guys work for a living.

Not tollin just baffled. Anyway I dont want to derail op.
"It's not trolling if you don't admit it."
 
#23
Rarely played my 360 much after the first year of its release. Turned it on to play Braid, and the day after i beat it, it RRoDed. I sent it in, got it back and it collected dust until sf4 hit. Got it, played it, loved it, RRoDed.

So twice.
 
#24
RurouniZel said:
Yes, this is a huge issue that needs addressing. Hopefully MS and Sony will take the Wii approach next time out, and the next system won't require as much power...
Very true. I mean the Wii draws about 40W if I remember correctly and the PS2 was around 80W. (Not sure about the Xbox.) So I really hope they get these next gen systems drawing under 100W and not 150W+ like they currently do.
 
#25
RurouniZel said:
It's also not trolling if it's true...

Just sayin'. Threads like this wouldn't exist if it weren't.
Actually, you're right, I think it's silly to go out and buy a second one as well (read my initial post). However, the intent of his post is transparent. I just found it funny.
 
#26
1cesc said:
Actually, you're right, I think it's silly to go out and buy a second one as well (read my initial post). However, his intent in that post is transparent. I just found it funny.
12 360's?? Unless who I quoted was joking.
 
#27
RavenFox said:
Don't forget your yearly live fee...

I mean seriously? This is what 2009 and 360's are still bricking and you guys run out and buy more because 2 games on 360 are exclusive[yeah I know there are a few more]. Just doesn't make any sense if you guys work for a living.

Not trollin just baffled. Anyway I dont want to derail op.
I know, it's stupid but I already have so much invested in my 360 like Live, DLC, games and accessories. So I'm kind of stuck. Plus the PS3 has so few features in comparison and the online, while free, sucks.

P.S. To make something plural you add "s," not an apostrophe followed by "s."
 

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
#29
1cesc said:
Actually, you're right, I think it's silly to go out and buy a second one as well (read my initial post). However, the intent of his post is transparent. I just found it funny.
Meh, I just get tired of apologies after a while. I have no problem with 360 games or whatever, just the apologists.
 
#30
Two RRoDs here and have had it for about 2 1/2 years. I really don't consider it a big deal, especially since Microsoft will fix it for free and the turn around time is only a couple weeks. If you can't live without a console for 2 weeks then you have issues.
 
#31
I play my launch Xbox 360 a lot and it hasn't RROD'd yet. *knock on wood*

I must either be very lucky, very clean (dust, y'know) or have placed my console on a place that gets great airflow.
 
#32
RurouniZel said:
Yes, this is a huge issue that needs addressing. Hopefully MS will take the Wii approach next time out, and the next system won't require as much power...
fixed

Oh HELL NO!.... I hope Sir Howard lets Sony Engineers be Sony Engineers.... I want the latest technology dammit.
 
#33
I bought a 360 in May of 06. Three months later in August, it red ringed on me. I sent it in for repair and received a different one back (different serial #, manufacture date).

That one then lasted me till early 07. It was the dvd drive that went on that one. Sent that one in for repair, received a different model again.

By this time I was already tiring of this and gave the system to my nephew and got a PS3. The 360 I gave my nephew lasted maybe about half a year later till that one red ringed. Sent that one in, different model sent again, etc...

A shame really that this still happens to this day...
 
#34
All right, I think I'll just send it into Microsoft, and keep it. I agree with not awarding Microsoft for the poor hardware it gave me.

If it happens again, and it happens again quickly, I'll probably just be done with the Xbox for this generation.

EDIT:
Nevermind, thanks 1cesc for the answer.
 
#35
My first one lasted about 2 years, and that's with me taking manual precautions to ensure that the heatsinks weren't a problem anymore. I think something happened with my entire mobo warping in the end that was just beyond repair. Bought a new one on ebay about a year ago that had RROD and was gonna fix it myself...but realized it still had a warranty on it. Sent it in, got a new one from Microsoft in about a week. Been great ever since. I think RROd is bound to happen to everyone.
 
#36
KilgoreTrout said:
All right, I think I'll just send it into Microsoft, and keep it. I agree with not awarding Microsoft for the poor hardware it gave me.

If it happens again, and it happens again quickly, I'll probably just be done with the Xbox for this generation.

Another question:
Do they wipe your hard drive?
You don't send in your HD.
 
#37
SiegfriedFM said:
10 broken 360:s? At what point do you say "to hell with it" and get something else? I'm still on my first 360 which is now out of warranty but I'd be hard pressed to pay for a new one if it broke.
I also have a launch PS3 that is still going strong so there really isnt a "to hell with it" option, I still prefer playing on the 360 though (All my friends play on Live)
 
#38
Cdammen said:
I play my launch Xbox 360 a lot and it hasn't RROD'd yet. *knock on wood*

I must either be very lucky, very clean (dust, y'know) or have placed my console on a place that gets great airflow.
I bolded the correct answer for you.

As for me, I've had one RROD. I now have a first run Elite that's been going strong, but something tells me it's only a matter of time.
 
#40
My Euro launch 360 died on me last summer (DVD drive and RRoD). That's about it really. Got a US Falcon 60GB model which I use for most of my gaming now a days (the Euro one is used for arcade and the older PAL region locked games I own).

If I were you, I'd buy a Jasper or whatever they're called since they're supposed to use less power and hopefully have much lower failure rate.
 
#41
I had a launch console that died in January of 06, then that died in March of 07. That one lasted until March of 09. I'm still waiting for the replacement for that one.
 
#44
Wow, I thought I was bad being on my sixth system.

But TWELVE? Damn, man, thermal paste is neither a snack food nor cooling fluid. Stop pouring it into the system a gallon at a time! </badjoke>
 
#46
RavenFox said:
Don't forget your yearly live fee...

I mean seriously? This is what 2009 and 360's are still bricking and you guys run out and buy more because 2 games on 360 are exclusive[yeah I know there are a few more]. Just doesn't make any sense if you guys work for a living.

Not trollin just baffled. Anyway I dont want to derail op.
Says a lot about the 360 that people would keep coming back after it breaks, no?

:lol Backfire.