• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions call for Under Siege (RTS, PSN, Move) interview

ChryZ

How is it to work with the PhyreEngine?

Are you considering a multi platform release later on?

Will the Move controller only function as pointer or will there be gesture based commands?

Will you use voice recognition via the PSEye for command input?

Do you use the Move sub controller or is this a lollipop-only title?

How long is the single player mode?

Will this title be self published?

Are there any plans for post launch DLC?

spats

Sinatar said:
Will Ryback be able to cook? What recipes will be available?

Will the game feature a bonus mode where you can view still pictures of Steven Seagal?

ChryZ already asked all the good questions I might've come up with. :(

DiscoJer

spats said:
Will the game feature a bonus mode where you can view still pictures of Steven Seagal?

ChryZ already asked all the good questions I might've come up with. :(

Or better yet, pictures of Erika Eleniak. That movie catapulted her career into Baywatch. Or at least her new (at the time) implants did.

(And actually, probably the best looking implants in show business..)

- Does the game have enough content to compare to a full priced PS3 game?

- After Under Siege will you continue to launch games in PSN or will you try other formats? (PSP, PC, XBLA)

- Since you are from Portugal, any easter egg included relating to our country?

- Any fellow Portuguese discounts? (joke question)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
How did you approach making a console RTS differently than you might have if you were making a PC RTS?

Have there been any concessions made for players using gamepads instead of the Move?

What recent games have you taken inspiration from?

What do you think it will take to make the RTS genre mainstream on the consoles?

How did you make the game accessible without sacrificing the depth the genre is known for?

thcsquad

Have you seen the RTS demo given by the creaters of the Move controller? What do you think of it and how it compares to your Move control scheme?

Move feature set

1. Will they use the cam corder mode? when the controller becomes the camera.

2. Will they use the sphere color spectrum, if so for what type of events will activate the sphere, as a early warning system like def con 5 alert flashing red when you units are being abused.

3. Will multi touch libraries be used in some instances for reading manuals or mission briefings

4. Any motion gestures? or natural 1:1 movements to immerse or interact with the environment.

eznark

Banned
Can we make Honolulu glow in the dark? Also, how is the captain going to authorize a surprise birthday party for himself?

TTP said:
Thanks for the questions guys!

lol I asked that myself :D
well i have nothing else to add except since the editor they used to make the game is what we'll be using to make our game. will it have some sort of music/sound fx editor? and can we export images or anything to the game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ChryZ said:
You're welcome. When can we expect answers?

Probably early next week. Dev team is quite busy these days, not sure if they can answer the Qs during the week end.

Chris_C

I'm interested knowing why they decided to make a PSN exclusive, and what their relationship has been like with Sony as a publisher.

This next one isn't really a question, it's probably to minor to field, but the last trailer I saw I noticed all the unit animations were in sync... which kind of takes you out of it, I hope they can add some random timing to the animations.

EDIT: Does anyone have a link to the game's blog page? I remember running across it a few months back and it was great. Now all I can find is a static webpage.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kinan said:
Thanks for that TTP. The game looks very compelling, and with MLAA it is completely juggy-free, which is awesome.

I wonder how it looks at 1080p compared to 720p with MLAA. I mean, GOWIII IQ looks better than in any 1080p game I've ever seen.

Anyway, can't wait to see the new media later this month.

F-Pina

Thanks for the questions guys, everyone will probably have more questions next week when we release the website.
Cheers.

We made a comparison image for you guys to check the difference:

undersiege_resmodes.jpg

The lighting is slightly different because of the moving clouds, etc..

( And yes, the MLAA code comes from the nice people at Sony )

the image you posted is 720p + MLAA. in the interview mentions 1080p and MLAA. is there an image of that? ;o or does it just say it supports 1080p and MLAA but not together.

I can't wait for it! :D day 1.

thcsquad

DMPrince said:
the image you posted is 720p + MLAA. in the interview mentions 1080p and MLAA. is there an image of that? ;o or does it just say it supports 1080p and MLAA but not together.

I think its the latter. The resources for MLAA come from the cycles gained from using 720p vs 1080p.

No, MLAA is only supported in 720p mode. 1080p has no anti aliasing.

Originally 720p also had no AA, because we use a deferred renderer, like Killzone 2 or Starcraft 2, and getting any kind of standard AA is difficult and costly (the performance/quality ratio depends on the game but it ended being too much for us).

MLAA is a great solution as it works with deferred rendering and is essentially free because it runs exclusively on the SPUs (unless your SPUs are already packed with work, of course).

I have to say, while this game sounds badass, I'm definately not happy with the circular pad selection style which i believe Red Alert 3 incorporated.

In the RTS demo's, anton showed that the ps move controller could be used to select individual units the same way a shift-click works in a game like starcraft. For me, the biggest sticking point in console RTS' are the "select them all and zerg" mentality. In order for it to be a strategy, there needs to be more than just grabbing all the guys and running them forward. Please, please PLEASE impliment shift clicking, I dont want my ranged units anywhere near the front of the action.

edit: here is the actual quote

In our case, the cursor is not a pixel precise arrow like you would have on a PC. We use a circular cursor the size of an average unit. So to select a squad, the player moves the cursor near it, and presses X. By holding the button, the cursor expands and when you let go, it will select every squad within the circle. This makes the game easy to play with a pad because you don't need to make small adjustments with the sticks. Adding the Move is not a question of precision, but of quickly and easily moving the cursor around. Instead of moving an analog stick to move a cursor on screen, you simply point to where you want the cursor to be.

Making the default cursor size that of the average unit is fine.

Adding the Move is not a question of precision, but of quickly and easily moving the cursor around

I do not believe this. If the move is not about precision, then it is not something I would like to purchase.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Those are lots of features.
Will buy.

Cromulent_Word said:
Mark my words, this game has the potential to shame the shit out of a lot of AAA Retail console RTS's.
Feature wise is packed. (Even more than SCE First party titles :lol )

Onion_Relish said:
I have to say, while this game sounds badass, I'm definately not happy with the circular pad selection style which i believe Red Alert 3 incorporated.

In the RTS demo's, anton showed that the ps move controller could be used to select individual units the same way a shift-click works in a game like starcraft. For me, the biggest sticking point in console RTS' are the "select them all and zerg" mentality. In order for it to be a strategy, there needs to be more than just grabbing all the guys and running them forward. Please, please PLEASE impliment shift clicking, I dont want my ranged units anywhere near the front of the action.

I do not believe this. If the move is not about precision, then it is not something I would like to purchase.

We do have shift-click functionality, basically you use L2 as the shift key do add or remove units to the selection. You can also build custom groups and assign them to hot keys.

Regarding precision, yes, the Move is more precise than using the sticks, what we meant is that the main advantage we felt while playing is in terms of speed in both selection and orders, although precision never hurts.

Ploid 3.0

Playing this bad boy in 1080p, the 720p MLAA looks cool but the 1080p shot don't look bad at all. Also it has better texture detail. Can't wait!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nice interview. Sounds promising. A pointer toggle might be ideal but it sounds like laser-pointer-y for playing and 'drawing' pointing for the editor is the right choice.

Hopefully Sony will get it through certification etc. in time for Move's release.

Man

Appreciate the effort in bringing us the comparison images.

Also:
The lighting is slightly different because of the moving clouds, etc..

That's a nice detail for a game that focuses on the ground. ;)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man said:
Appreciate the effort in bringing us the comparison images.

Also:

That's a nice detail for a game that focuses on the ground. ;)
:lol
GAF surely love his comparison pics. (Specially with MLAA)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Onion_Relish said:

Blob select is pretty great addition to RTS games, IMO. Even on the PC.

jiggle

sounds pretty interesting

just occurred to me, while reading the interview, that a real Ogre Battle would work great with Move

TheGuardian said:
We do have shift-click functionality, basically you use L2 as the shift key do add or remove units to the selection. You can also build custom groups and assign them to hot keys.

Regarding precision, yes, the Move is more precise than using the sticks, what we meant is that the main advantage we felt while playing is in terms of speed in both selection and orders, although precision never hurts.

This is a good answer. And you get hot keys?
I am wholly satified.

PistolGrip said:
great interview.

TheGuardian,
Thanks for the extra info much appreciated. The game looks awesome. day 1 for me. How do you like working with the Move btw?

The tools are great, and we have all the data we need with a very small performance hit. Also the Move team has been very supportive and interested in both what we are doing and how we do it.

Top Bottom