• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R&C kinda broke my PS5 controller already....are new gen controllers having issues?

Finally beat R&C and I noticed that the right trigger felt different in the final fight. It seems like the spring resistance at the top of the stroke of the R2 button has gone completely slack...like there is almost no resistance there. Whats strange is it still seems to have resistance and active feedback in the lower half of the stroke. I'm not sure how these controllers are built inside so I'm not sure how this is even possible (also noticed that there are no screws to the dual sense so probably a significant risk of breaking it if you open it up.

This is pretty disappointing since I havent even been playing games that much since I got my PS5. Anyone have any luck filing a warranty claim for a controller? Or am I just boned?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finally beat R&C and I noticed that the right trigger felt different in the final fight. It seems like the spring resistance at the top of the stroke of the R2 button has gone completely slack...like there is almost no resistance there. Whats strange is it still seems to have resistance and active feedback in the lower half of the stroke. I'm not sure how these controllers are built inside so I'm not sure how this is even possible (also noticed that there are no screws to the dual sense so probably a significant risk of breaking it if you open it up.

This is pretty disappointing since I havent even been playing games that much since I got my PS5. Anyone have any luck filing a warranty claim for a controller? Or am I just boned?
All controllers and consoles have 1 year manufacturer's warranty. just call sony and you will get another controller.

that replacement controller will only have a 3 month warranty. so if that gives out, buy a new controller and buy 3 year warranty on it from the store.

I’m having some issue with stick drift on the left analog, but it’s mild; no other issues elsewhere. I have a second, unused controller ready to go, but the fact that everything is $70 MSRP is what makes it tough to swallow.

Hopefully sales come about and they drop to 40% levels like the DS4. I don’t recall paying more than $39.99 for any of my controllers post launch.

they all have cheapen out on that but you will find some people here to explain to you it was inevitable and not their fault !

I suppose I could have broken it somehow but I dont have a death grip on the controller when I play. Also, the last fight is completely nuts with switching between weapons and them all providing different trigger feedback.

All controllers and consoles have 1 year manufacturer's warranty. just call sony and you will get another controller.

that replacement controller will only have a 3 month warranty. so if that gives out, buy a new controller and buy 3 year warranty on it from the store.
I like the way you think! I can't buy anything in this world anymore without being offered a protection plan.

New controller technology in a high traffic device like a PS5 controller seems like it's bound to break sooner rather than later.

Any company offering a replacement plan on it is equally boned, OP.

Croga

Same thing happened to me, but it was after a week of light use playing Spiderman and using the haptic feedback for web slinging. R2 button just went loose. This was within a month of me getting the console, so I was a bit pissed tbh.

Shops were still shuttered at the time, so couldn't take it back for an over the counter replacement, so I called Sony Customer Support.
The rep was pretty straight forward and honest in fairness and said I could post it to them for it to be fixed, but the turnaround time would be a month minimum.

I just ended up buying a new controller online so I wouldn't be without my PS5 for a month, and kept the dodgy controller with the thought to return it when the shops opened.

Since then I bought replacement springs for it and have replaced the faulty spring myself, was quite easy to do, followed this video:

Good luck with it whether you decide to fix it yourself or get in touch with Sony!

R6Rider

Gold Member
The more physical features a piece of equipment has, the easier it is for something in it to break.
This ultimatum doesn't change, and its the reason i hate when companies start adding pointless stuff to their hardware.
While what you say is true, I disagree with the last part. The new features of the Dualsense are great and I'm glad they are there as an option.

martino

I suppose I could have broken it somehow but I dont have a death grip on the controller when I play. Also, the last fight is completely nuts with switching between weapons and them all providing different trigger feedback.
i feel for you and it's a real problem that need to be answered....
Money spent in r&d to produce their own more robust analog tech would have a better choice than on the multiple feedback gimmicks (sense, hd rumble or ms equivalent at the time) you can turn off that will never be used in a meaningful way in any game design for 99.9% of the games
but since you can market them for 6 month during marketing season here we are.

Last edited:

NEbeast

I’m having some issue with stick drift on the left analog, but it’s mild; no other issues elsewhere. I have a second, unused controller ready to go, but the fact that everything is $70 MSRP is what makes it tough to swallow.

Hopefully sales come about and they drop to 40% levels like the DS4. I don’t recall paying more than $39.99 for any of my controllers post launch.
Send the one with drift back, you get a year warranty with new products. I actually had problems with both analogues, for some reason the last controller update fixed it. The only thing I can think of is that it was a dead zone issue.

i feel for you and it's a real problem that need to be answered....
Money spent in r&d to produce they own more robust analog tech would have a better choice than on the multiple feedback gimmicks (sense, hd rumble or ms equivalent at the time) you can turn off that will never be used in a meaningful way in any game design for 99.9 of the games
but since you can market them for 6 month during marketing season here we are.
I like the way you think.

Kuranghi

I had the exact same problem on the one that came with my console, sent to Sony UK free of charge, got it back within 7 working days. I also had stick drift on my left analogue for one I bought separately from the console lol.

So I've not had a good time but the customer service was excellent and I didnt have to pay for anything at all, just took them to the post office round the corner, although luckily I have packaging/boxes so thats a cost factor ofc.

Next time I buy one (For using on the PC), I'm going to get it from John Lewis, they themselves offer a 2 year warranty on the original DS, instead of just the 1 year from Sony (It remains to be seen if they will honor it but that brings me to the next part...) but you can add on 2-year accidental damage for £10 quid, so overall you pay £7 over RRP with the "insurance".

If I have more problems with my current two I'll definitely do that to save the the minor hassle of going through Sony as knowing how JL does customer service they will probably just swap it for a new one instantly without even testing it, so you'd get a new controller the day after it broke down as long as they have stock in the store.

Imtjnotu

Things happen, call for a replacement. Simple.
Why do that when you can make a thread about it.

Call for a replacement or make drama

Choose Escape The Night GIF by Rosanna Pansino

TheMan

Bought a ps5 controller at launch, and within about 1-2 months the right stick already had some minor drift. enough to make FPS impossible. I couldn't believe it but I just lived with it since teh controller that came with the system works just fine. I'm loathe to pay another 70 dollars for a fucking controller

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
100 hours of coldwar caused drift on mine.
Yes next gen gamepads are wank.

it’s ok tho in europe..

imma keep swapping that gamepad for every 2 months or so. If it’s needed for the next 2 years.

sony can get fucked by EU-laws 😂

it’s the only reason i got two gamepads because i knew this shit would happen after the abysmall DS4

Why do that when you can make a thread about it.

Call for a replacement or make drama

Choose Escape The Night GIF by Rosanna Pansino
I think it's a fair enough issue to bring up to see solutions that people have. Croga Croga 's post being a prime example. It offers a solution rather than the douchey reply some here have chosen to respond with. If you don't like the thread, you don't have to post in it. If one doesn't want to call Sony or can't because a controller is out of warranty, there are solutions.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Things happen, call for a replacement. Simple.
True. But DS4 was a flaming pile of shit and I certainly hope the DS5 is higher quality than that.

Went through 3 DS4 controllers for almost no reason. A friend of mine had theirs start smoking when plugged in their system.

The spring resistance on the DS5 is also new, and seems like it could easily break.

Why should you open it up? Console and controller came out recently, just go through warranty. Don't open it up.

Send the one with drift back, you get a year warranty with new products. I actually had problems with both analogues, for some reason the last controller update fixed it. The only thing I can think of is that it was a dead zone issue.
I likely will once the issue becomes more pronounced as reports indicate it will. But it only arises sometimes and until I hit a game where it disrupts the experience in a meaningful way, I’d rather avoid dealing with Sony’s customer support.

Dodkrake

Banned
True. But DS4 was a flaming pile of shit and I certainly hope the DS5 is higher quality than that.

Went through 3 DS4 controllers for almost no reason. A friend of mine had theirs start smoking when plugged in their system.

The spring resistance on the DS5 is also new, and seems like it could easily break.
Damn! I have had my PS4 for 4 years and have 2 DS4 controllers that never broke. I have a fairly tight grip and the PS5 springs also seem to be ok so far.

MikeM

I have had to send in my controllers twice now already because of the spring in the trigger breaking (likely what you have here). Previous to this, I have NEVER sent in a controller for repair for any system.

Simple test- shake your controller around. Do you hear something moving/rattling? If so, that's a piece of the spring. Good thing is that its covered under warranty, but in Canada we need to pay for shipping each time. I'm already $30 in the hole for shipping. Two more times and that's basically a new controller. Annoying.

Is the best thing for longevity to disable the haptic triggers?
Well. Yeah, less use of moving parts in any equipment would likely extend it's longevity. That said, you shouldn't have to NOT use a key-selling point of a product to extend it's lifespan to an acceptable amount. Chances are people in this thread are experiencing outlying issues rather than an example of common equipment failure. That said, it's not like there isn't a precedent either for controller failure's from Sony in general so it's good to gauge a general audience to see if one having issues is a fluke or starting to become common.

DualShock 4 had pretty terrible build quality, I really only used my PS4 for exclusive games and overall, the system didn't get much use, but at a year into ownership and very little use, the rubber on the stick was crumbling off and the right stick was getting bad drift and it annoyed me so much as I never really used the thing to begin with.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
You broke your controller not R&C.
You were using it.

About the quality I found it better than DS4 and way better DS3.
Nah, that is how new devices are. His controller wasn't made in the correct way.

Usually, when items are in high demand, the are some issues doing it in the correct way.

Its why some Xbox/Ps5 consoles are bad. They haven't been tested in time.

Then you have to factor, the factories which make those devices. Not every factories does the same. Some factories just slack of their rules to meet the demand.

Yours was in good shape, but not his. And controllers need extensive time of testing to make sure its working. Well, controllers are high demand, so that is impossible.

GymWolf

Lol no shit, of course this stuff has a big risk of breaking apart, i disabled that shit after trying it 10 min with astro and a bit with morales, it's not worth it.

Sony was genius with this stuff, instead of putting something actually useful like back buttons they invented this stuff and they are gonna sell a fuckload of new controllers in a couple of years if not sooner.

Some responses are really weird in here. It's like they want OP to not talk about their broken controller publicly. Very weird.

I had to get my Xbox Elite 2 controller for my PC replaced one time, and repaired another time. Build quality is ass compared to the first Elite controller. I'd be a complete fool to be silent of these things, and even more foolish to try and silence others with similar issues.

If everyone is silent about their issues, the manufacturers aren't going to try and repair/fix a problem they aren't aware of. The moment people start speaking up, is the moment things change for the better. Anyone remember Xbox RROD or Sony YLOD or the Nintendo Drift? Well I guess Nintendo didn't really change, but you catch my drift.

Last edited:
4th dual sense replacement here…..Sony cheaped out on the parts….either see if you can get a free swap back at the retailer or pony up and buy another controller

Top Bottom