• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R* say they are not interested in simple ports (GTA V)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...tegy-says-its-not-interested-in-simple-ports/

On GTAV’s upcoming next-gen console version, Zelnick said he was confident the remaster would deliver a strong experience for players.

“We’ve done great with the Mafia series, for example, and Grand Theft Auto [V] is now heading into its third generation which is incredible, he said.

“It was a standard-bearer when it was launched, it continued to be the standard-bearer in the second generation, we’ll see how Grand Theft Auto does in the next generation. Obviously, I’m confident that Rockstar is going to deliver just a great experience, but you can’t do that if you’re just doing a simple port.”

“I’m not sure there’ll be a bigger part of the strategy,” he responded. “Remastering has always been a part of the strategy. We’ve done differently than the competition – we don’t just port titles over, we actually take the time to do the very best job we can making the title different for the new release, for the new technology that we’re launching it on.

Orta

Banned
tense.gif

Can't wait to play this again.

Cheeky bastards.

D3SCHA1N

Take-Two say, R*, as per usual, aren't actually saying anything. I do wonder if the re-release will be full price or if it will launch at a lower price point considering it's age. I do hope they're planning on a similar treatment for RDR2 as I would play that again on a ps5 (if i can get one by then) with haptic controller support & all that...

Last edited:

RPSleon

Hopefully this also means rdr2 as i never finished it on ps4. Would love to see what they could do with it.

But it also sounds a bit like gta6 is a fair distance away by their commitment to gta 5 still going stong enough to make this statement. Seeing as rockstar dont speak up too often.

Certinty

I don't know if i'm optimistic or not about the PS5/XSX version. On one hand I feel they haven't shown anything yet because it's hardly different but on the other hand I'm thinking they haven't shown anything because they want to surprise us all when the time is right.

ZywyPL

Banned
That's the correct approach. I mean, a remaster should stand for what it means, unlike many of the so-called "remasters" which are just straight ports from previous-gen with nothing but higher resolution, or 60FPS, and are being sold for 40-60$ like a new AA/AAA game made from scratch... GTA5 after all those years is still holding strong on sales charts, it has a ton of people playing it on a daily basis, so I cannot blame/hate R* for keeping supporting the game for as long as possible instead of making a new one (which they probably are working on as we speak anyway), so updating the visuals to more up-to-date state will be a welcome addition by many players.

Meicyn

Gold Member
They can keep GTA V, but I will pay full price for an updated RDR2. I got insane value for my buck in the first place, more than most other games in the precious gen. Still play RDO despite the clear need for growth.

Kokoloko85

Just give me RDR2 60fps as I left it on Ps4 lol
Would love a remaster to the old school GTA’s as ai hated the shooting and controls

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's not €70 either.
Well, it depends how long you keep PS Plus for. If you have PS Plus for 3 years, then you’re paying well over £100 to rent this game, and then you’d still need to buy it afterwards if you actually want to own it.

They probably are but if we get the multiplayer free they wouldn't want to charge too much for the single player otherwise we won't buy it.

I don't think that's sound logic. If history has taught us anything, it's people will happily buy R* games again and again and again.

killatopak

Gold Member
Well, it depends how long you keep PS Plus for. If you have PS Plus for 3 years, then you’re paying well over £100 to rent this game, and then you’d still need to buy it afterwards if you actually want to own it.
If you’re playing GTA for online then it’s practically free.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'm sure that a RDR remaster would sell a lot, specially on PC. They can't expect all their games to have GTAV like numbers... that was lighting in a bottle.

Birdo

Banned
Remastering your most current game is the most pointless thing I have seen in the industry.

Imagine if Nintendo's next big game was a remaster of BOTW. Or if Son'y next game was a remaster of TLOU2. It makes no sense. We literally just played these games.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yup.

9c109d0a699f4511dd50b46311e7a24c.jpg

Also, to put it into perspective:

241821288d879b0e61f2a575b1cb1701.jpg

The GTA Online addition was a bullseye for R*, I'm really curious to see how much longer it can still hold up, but if they'll keep supporting it and make a remaster on top of that, I can see the game still being alive when PS6/Nextbox show up.
Yeah lets just quickly forget that Gta 3,VC,SA are all built on the same engine. It took a long time for IV to come out and then they built on that engine.

Not to mention most R* studios went on to assist with RDR2, one of the biggest and most ambitious games R* ever created.

Now they are using RDR2 tech to make GTA 6. Yes Online has given them a lot of leeway, there is perhaps less incentive to move on from the ever popular GTA V but that doesnt mean they arent already making GTA 6.

Yall se crybabies, Id rather have them take their sweet time. We already lost Benzies, Lazlow and one of the housers. Chances are it wont be as good as V anyway.

TLZ

Banned
Grand Theft Auto [V] is now heading into its third generation which is incredible, he said.
That's incredibly bullshit. Just give us GTA 6 already fgs.

We've had 3 on the PS2, 2 on the PS360, nothing on the PS4/Xbone and nothing so far on PS5/XS. We better have something new this gen.

wipeout364

I still think it’s hilarious that Sony led off one of their PS5 events with a gta 5 trailer. I don’t think I ever felt as deflated watching an event. I was sure it was an announcement for GTA 6 when it started, then when reality set in I was in shock, GTA 5 a PS3 game is your lead in that speaks well of what is in the pipeline.

it was frankly one of the worst starts I could have imagined, especially for a company that “believes in generations” tm.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
the only possible game-changer is VR and you know it

Oh yes, GTA V: Vomit Edition

When does the remaster actually come out and why wasn't it ready for launch? Rockstar not have the resources or know when the machines would launch?

Last edited:
They were PSP games that were ported over
So? By that logic the PS4 has 0 GTAs. It has 2, SA and V (I'm not counting III or VC because they're emulation not native). By that same logic PS2 has 5 GTAs that all run natively, ports of PSP games or not.
Edit: Also it's still a bit different because LCS and VCS came to PS2 very shortly after their portable releases, only a few months, whereas GTA 5 came to PS4 a fair bit later...and PS5 7 YEARS later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom