• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R* say they are not interested in simple ports (GTA V)

BigBooper

The version of San Andreas on Xbox is a simple port of the android version. The pc ports have all had various levels of shittiness up until GTA5. Gta4 on pc is pretty good finally.

If that's their stance going forward, that's good, but it's weird to say it as if it's common knowledge and standard practice.

Kupfer

I played GTA IV again yesterday on the Ps3 to test my "newly" bought Fat Lady and it showed me once again how far the game had come in its time. Resolution and framerate aside, the physics are still ahead of many games, especially open world games, for a 13 year old game. Even GTA5 stinks against the driving behaviour of the cars and especially the damage model. After a minute-long car chase, when you're bobbing along in your completely crumpled car covered in blood splatters and bullet holes, there's just something satisfying about it. I assume that the dents and deformations are calculated in real time, which can sometimes produce bizarrely lumpy car wrecks, but I've never seen anything like it in a top-class open world title after that. GTA5 has massively slimmed down the damage model, probably in favour of accessibility, the whole game controls more directly and "arcadically" (influencing vehicle position in the jump etc.). I still remember how flashed I was by the visuals of the fifth part on the Ps3 in 2013, but how disappointed I was afterwards by the reduced physics gimmicks (pushing passers-by back and forth, causing them to trip, knocking coffee mugs out of their hands and throwing them behind them, the aforementioned damage model, the ragdoll effects and so on). Red Dead Redemption has adopted much of this, which is also so incredibly beneficial to this game that it still feels dynamic and fresh today - again, resolution and framerate aside. Staggering around drunk, lassoing NPC's and dragging them after you, reactions when hit etc. RDR2, unlike GTA5, has adopted this "principle" and also plays, I'll call it, delightfully physically correct. Unfortunately, the step back was a conscious design decision made for GTA5 and could not be "fixed" in the PS4 version either, as there is nothing to fix. The physics just aren't the focus anymore and I'm not sure if I'll still be able to marvel at the original GTA V in a few years like I do with GTA IV and RDR. Sure, the graphics get superficially better with every new edition, in terms of textures, lighting effects, tessellation, vegetation, etc., but at the core I miss the physics-based dynamics.

OrionNebula

I’m one of the remaining 28 people in the world who has never bought, never even played GTAV through the gens. I was waiting for the ultimate-ultimate-ultra version, ya know? I won’t be playing that cheap peasant version you guys played. And all I had to do is wait 9 years for it. Suckers!!!
🤣

Mr Branding

I played GTA IV again yesterday on the Ps3 to test my "newly" bought Fat Lady and it showed me once again how far the game had come in its time. Resolution and framerate aside, the physics are still ahead of many games, especially open world games, for a 13 year old game. Even GTA5 stinks against the driving behaviour of the cars and especially the damage model. After a minute-long car chase, when you're bobbing along in your completely crumpled car covered in blood splatters and bullet holes, there's just something satisfying about it. I assume that the dents and deformations are calculated in real time, which can sometimes produce bizarrely lumpy car wrecks, but I've never seen anything like it in a top-class open world title after that. GTA5 has massively slimmed down the damage model, probably in favour of accessibility, the whole game controls more directly and "arcadically" (influencing vehicle position in the jump etc.). I still remember how flashed I was by the visuals of the fifth part on the Ps3 in 2013, but how disappointed I was afterwards by the reduced physics gimmicks (pushing passers-by back and forth, causing them to trip, knocking coffee mugs out of their hands and throwing them behind them, the aforementioned damage model, the ragdoll effects and so on). Red Dead Redemption has adopted much of this, which is also so incredibly beneficial to this game that it still feels dynamic and fresh today - again, resolution and framerate aside. Staggering around drunk, lassoing NPC's and dragging them after you, reactions when hit etc. RDR2, unlike GTA5, has adopted this "principle" and also plays, I'll call it, delightfully physically correct. Unfortunately, the step back was a conscious design decision made for GTA5 and could not be "fixed" in the PS4 version either, as there is nothing to fix. The physics just aren't the focus anymore and I'm not sure if I'll still be able to marvel at the original GTA V in a few years like I do with GTA IV and RDR. Sure, the graphics get superficially better with every new edition, in terms of textures, lighting effects, tessellation, vegetation, etc., but at the core I miss the physics-based dynamics.
Is you I?
Feel the same way since I first played IV.
No sandbox felt as satisfying to play since and V, while a great game, didn’t feel as addictive to play for me.
Got into ps3 hard a week ago and nostalgia be damned, I started collecting again for the system but I can’t put Gta IV down.
We’ll never see the remake it deserves.

Top Bottom