• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R-Type Final 2 - Demo out now. Game releases 04/30/21. (PC, Switch, PS4, XOne)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone else hyped for this game? The last R-Type Final was on PS2. This game was always the rolls royce of shmups for me, with the best art style, the best lasers. Always seemed a step above the rest in terms of production value and slick design.

I tried the demo on Switch and it's pretty good for stage 1.

capsule_616x353.jpg

ghairat

Looks cool. Have great nostalgia for R-Type and will check it out. Thanks for the heads up. You have a link to the demo download?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Watch out for the boss' giant laser blast.
Thats every shump right??
You have a point lol. ... it's a very sneaky laser blast though and can one shot you :lollipop_anguish:

I want to make a Shmup thread now where we give "beginner tips" and it just things like:

* Avoid enemies projectiles!
* Use the fire button to shoot your own projectiles back at the enemies, use them to destroy the enemies!
* If a boss fires a giant laser, best practice is to avoid it.

Animagic

Banned
The demo was so promising I went and preordered a physical copy to ship to me on release day. I’m stoked.
The people I see complaining about it online are bullet-hell masochist types that only play those type of shooting games. The elitist bs is going to destroy this style of games, just like what happened to flying games and racing games.

Hopefully it does well and is a good follow up to the rest of the series. Maybe it will even bring about a resurgence of this style of shooter

edit: R-Type Delta the GOAT🔥🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Glad to hear it looks good, but I absolutely won’t watch this: I want to experience it all for myself the first time through with my speakers blasting, or if my kid is sleeping, playing portable with my cans on.

yeah, I watched the first level and realized it was a better idea to just download the demo

Kuranghi

Glad to hear it looks good, but I absolutely won’t watch this: I want to experience it all for myself the first time through with my speakers blasting, or if my kid is sleeping, playing portable with my cans on.

3rd option with step by step guide:

1) Buy some child sized wireless headphones and put them on your kid while they are sleeping
2) Boot the game and set SFX and Music volume to 11
3) Blow your sprog's tiny mind
4) ????
5) Profit*

*/divorce/life-time child counselling

Animagic

Banned
3rd option with step by step guide:

1) Buy some child sized wireless headphones and put them on your kid while they are sleeping
2) Boot the game and set SFX and Music volume to 11
3) Blow your sprog's tiny mind
4) ????
5) Profit*

*/divorce/life-time child counselling
LOL I would never! Those little eardrums can't handle that!

Omg GIF

somesang

Tried the demo on Switch. Not playing the game for the graphics but the stuttering turned me off. PC it is.

Kuranghi

I thought it looked pretty good on Switch. But it does look better on PS4, so that's what I ordered.

I'm downloading it on PS4 now, does that version have any egregious frame drops? I saw some in the video posted above but it was during a mega-splosion which I can handle, I'll just pretend I'm playing Ikaruga and I've just blown up a boss.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm downloading it on PS4 now, does that version have any egregious frame drops? I saw some in the video posted above but it was during a mega-splosion which I can handle, I'll just pretend I'm playing Ikaruga and I've just blown up a boss.
I honestly wasn't paying attention that much. I played it on PS5. I noticed some weird blocky black effect on the boss and wasn't sure if that was a glitch or not. Can't really say I noticed the framerate at all.

Kuranghi

I honestly wasn't paying attention that much. I played it on PS5. I noticed some weird blocky black effect on the boss and wasn't sure if that was a glitch or not. Can't really say I noticed the framerate at all.

Thats probably a good sign then, its quite smooth due to the constant lateral panning nature of the game, so you'd probably notice if it was really stuttery.

Noice, I can't wait to biff some space crates around and laser blast some space mecha-bads.

edit - Wait, I'm being a wally, if it has frame rate drops on the PS4 then PS5 should just power through them with brute force, yussss.

Last edited:

Miles708

I noticed only consistent slowdowns in the boss when there's a lot of smoke. Pretty fluid otherwise.
I suck at the genre so I welcome boss slowdowns with open arms.

Kuranghi

Weird, I couldn't find it on the PSN on my PS5 no matter what I searched for. I had to add it via the PS Store website just there. Back to the PS input I go!

The original on the Amiga was amazing, as was Chris "GOAT" Huelsbeck's theme.

Wow the height and width of the sound stage is so great with this track, even on my adequate soundbar, which only has 90cm between the left and right channels. Feels like there is a height channel ha.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Nice, looks decent. Feel like we haven’t had a good shmup since ZeroRanger. Though Rolling Gunner wasn’t bad either.
Yeah, I’ve been mostly playing weird indie shooters and ports of older games these days. Hopefully this does well and brings on a second renaissance for shoot-em-ups.

nerdface

Banned
Yeah, I had to pull the trigger on this. Should arrive on the fourth.

Just enough time to bang my head against MH:R2.0. Then I can wait out D2:R with GnG:R, and RTF2.

Wow, that’s a lot of accronyms. This year is already so full of games. It’s... ... it’s beautiful, man. 😢

Top Bottom