• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Driver GRID demo available on the MP

h3ro

Niks said:
Feared as much :/

I guess it all comes down to this...
sacrifice realistic physics for instant, more widely appealing fun??

Is GRID made for a different audience than GT or Forza??
I find it hard to believe that a person that enjoys grid, would enjoy driving a lap around Suzuka in the GT40 with professional physics and assists off on GT5???

Its more of a PGR competitor than anything even close to GT or Forza (hi che :p)

You can't apply using the GT/Forza sim driving method to this game, it just doesn't work. Being early on the brakes means stopping 100 yards from the apex. Complete dead stop.

Sure the presentation is nice and graphics are decent (you guys saying its the greatest ever need to check out GT and PGR first) but the handling model just isn't working for me. I wish they had adapted the Burnout or PGR model of arcade handling, instead of this straddling b/w realism and arcade that really didn't work out, for me anyway.

chubigans said:
Yeah, I don't get the graphics praise unless the PS3 version is super downgraded or something.

That said, the handling is fun and I enjoyed it, except for the drifting. Might pick it up.

LOVE the style and having the game say your name out loud is neat.

"Welcome David!"

:D

Oh come on, lets not start system warz until after we analyze grass textures. :p

They don't have Indian names in the game... so I went with Liam. :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
uh ...good demo i guess , not that big yet there is everything you want to know about the game , but i don't know , there is something wrong here , it feel too slow for me , driving is not that level of realistic i tried other setting for the control but it's still kinda not that solid , graphically it's AFW but cars model look kinda plasticy to me , maybe i should quite playing that other racing game for a little while before return to this demo again to adjust myself.

i will give another try later today .

Oneself

It looks good but not stellar. It looks a lot like Dirt. BTW I turned OFF all the assist options and
Twisted Metal
still feels more realistic.

:lol
I kid, I kid. It controls like Dirt but it's faster.

f@luS

More than a member.
just checked both demo one after the other

The 360 one is a bit cleaner , if its 4AA , i guess the ps3 one is 2xAA. But its still extra clean. I noticed a bit more tearing in the san francisco race on 360 (during the big hill) but beside that, its the same.

Same so-so game.

But at least , they tuned down that terrible HDR especially on Dirt 360

Niks said:
Is GRID made for a different audience than GT or Forza??
I find it hard to believe that a person that enjoys grid, would enjoy driving a lap around Suzuka in the GT40 with professional physics and assists off on GT5???

I'm one of those people who enjoys both design philosophies

....and yeah, people's reaction in here are a bit unwarranted, as this game was NEVER advertised/promoted as having a serious driving model ....once again, people should have known what to expect and not act suprised

Also, don't know what you guys are saying about issues with braking...I had to gradually slow down to hit the apexs in the SanFran track in order to come in at first

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AgentOtaku said:
....and yeah, people's reaction in here are a bit unwarranted, as this game was NEVER advertised/promoted as having a serious driving model ....once again, people should have known what to expect and not act suprised
What? you mean fans of the Toca Race Driver series (And personally a fan of the BTCC games that started it all) should bend over and accept a fantastic racing series being destroyed because the PR robots at Codemasters want it to be so?

Fuck off, I wanted a game that carried on the great legacy the RD series had created, the fact that Codies have even turned the Touring Cars (Their speciality) into a lifeless husk shows how far they have reversed the series, I feel I have every right to be exceptionally angry, and frankly, you haven't seen half of what I have wanted to say.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
f@luS said:

The 360 one is a bit cleaner , if its 4AA , i guess the ps3 one is 2xAA. But its still extra clean. I noticed a bit more tearing in the san francisco race on 360 (during the big hill) but beside that, its the same.

Same so-so game.

Quaz said 4xaa on 360 and 2xaa on PS3

Haunted

So it really seems to be Dirt 2, instead of Race Driver 4.

shit.

Well, not that I didn't like Dirt, but Race Driver is pretty much my favourite racing series, so I was really really looking forward to its next iteration in the vein of the previous games.

Ah well, will have to check it out for myself when the PC demo hits.

Stop It said:
What? you mean fans of the Toca Race Driver series (And personally a fan of the BTCC games that started it all) should bend over and accept a fantastic racing series being destroyed because the PR robots at Codemasters want it to be so?

Fuck off, I wanted a game that carried on the great legacy the RD series had created, the fact that Codies have even turned the Touring Cars (Their speciality) into a lifeless husk shows how far they have reversed the series, I feel I have every right to be exceptionally angry, and frankly, you haven't seen half of what I have wanted to say.
;_;

After seeing Blim drifting around on the track, I knew it wasn't to be. Race Driver never handled like that.

AgentOtaku said:

It's not about it not having a "serious" driving model, it's about the cars not having any weight to them. The PGR games are arcade racers but they still have weight to them.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wow, the PS3 version is quite noticeably worse than the 360 one. There is some tearing, even a few framedrops, the colors are also a lot more muted, and somehow the aliasing is much more noticeable.
gridps3360.jpg

It's smooth 95% of the time, where the 360 version is smooth 99% of the time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Blimblim said:
Wow, the PS3 version is quite noticeably worse than the 360 one. There is some tearing, even a few framedrops, and the colors are also a lot more muted:
gridps33360.jpg

Ah, that explains that then.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
f@luS said:

Same so-so game.

WTF? I've really looked for tearing on the 360 version and then on the PS3 one, and I didn't notice any at all on the 360 version.
What view were you using?

f@luS

More than a member.
Blimblim said:
Wow, the PS3 version is quite noticeably worse than the 360 one. There is some tearing, even a few framedrops, the colors are also a lot more muted, and somehow the aliasing is much more noticeable.
gridps3360.jpg

there is tearing on the 360 too , especially during the big "hill", and the aliasing isnt very noticeable....so far from "noticeably worse" imho even though its not as clean like i said before.

Blimblim said:
WTF? I've really looked for tearing on the 360 version and then on the PS3 one, and I didn't notice any at all on the 360 version.

I use cockpit or "far" 3rd one

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Its too bad they couldn't get the PS3 up to par, especially with the notable improvement they did on PS3 DiRt. :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
f@luS said:
there is tearing on the 360 too , especially during the big "hill", and the aliasing isnt very noticeable....so far from "noticeably worse" imho even though its not as clean like i said before.

I use cockpit or "far" 3rd one
I just looked at my footage frame by frame, not a single tear during the hill climb on the 360 version using the bonnet view.
I was using the out of car view on the PS3 version for that track and I wasn't in first place then, so the comparison is definitely invalid, but I got this:
gridps3tear.jpg

If I have time I'll try to do a better comparison. I definitely noticed a quite a lot of tearing while playing the PS3 version, even at the Yokohama track where I played with the same view on both versions and there is only one car visible.

Tomcat

Blimblim said:

There is no tearing on the 360 version. And i have been playing the demo for 3 hours now with my buddies. Great fun:D

Haunted

chubigans said:
Its too bad they couldn't get the PS3 up to par, especially with the notable improvement they did on PS3 DiRt. :(
Yeah, pretty much. Sounds like they needed some more time to get it up to snuff on the PS3 version, as they did with Dirt. A staggered PS3 release date might have been the way to go here.

Not that I care too much (60fps = PC version for me)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yep. PS3 clearly inferior to the 360 version as far as frame rate stability and image quality goes. Didn't pay too much attention to the textures but I'm sure there is a downgrade there as well.

StargazerXL

I've only played the 360 demo and I quite liked the San Francisco race. The SF graphics are amazing. Damage modeling was fun too. My car was beat to shit by the others and I hobbled over the finish line in very bad condition :lol .

The "rewind-to-fix-your-fuckup" feature is AWESOME. The only hitch I could see was some stuttering during portions of the SF race (but not in the BMW race).

I didn't like the drifting very much but admittedly I didn't have time to get the hang of it.

Strangely, the PS3 demo wasn't yet available from the Canadian version of the Playstation Store so I couldn't make the inevitable comparison.

I'm definitely interested in this game.

Thrakier

Oh, once again. Not that I care, this game is shit anyway, but why is PS3 inferior so often? I own both consoles and I play more with my PS3 (warhawk etc.) but I'm really starting to think that the PS3 is inferior. Maybe not with the potential but overall...

East Lake

SolidSnakex said:
It's not about it not having a "serious" driving model, it's about the cars not having any weight to them. The PGR games are arcade racers but they still have weight to them.
I wish they would have just made the handling as close to PGR as possible to be honest, I was really looking forward to this game but I hate the handling of the cars based on the demo, turning all assists off doesn't do enough to make up for it either.

Goldrusher

Impressions...

nice:
- menu
- graphics, but still too much bloom

not so nice:
- handling, (cars feel way too light and it's like they turn around a vertical axis in the middle of the car)
- controls (the PS3 face buttons are analog, why isn't the game ?)
- engine and tire sounds
- there's not enough damage after a high speed crash...especially when you can rewind the accident (lol, wtf ?)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Argh, pet peeve with the DiRT engine is back!

They have a gorgeous game so I want to check out replays but they never let me choose the camera angle I want in their "cinematic" view. There are a couple views I really like; for instance, the over the shoulder driver cam with all the violent camera shakes. Why can't I just leave the replay camera in that view for the whole replay?

Retarded we couldn't do it in DiRT, and they brought that "feature" back to Grid.

Thrakier said:
Yes, that's true, also Uncharted looks unbelievable. But in multiplat games it's almost the same for every game...worse textures, worse fsaa, no 720p in gta...and and and. Why is it? They can do it on 360, it should also work on PS3, shouldn't it?

Burnout Paradise says Hi.

jee

basically dirt/grid is an arcade racer which still requires driving skills. so here is a breakdown why some people don't like it.

simulator guys: they are only good at tuning and all that boring stuff in racing games so its probably way too fast for them.

arcade fans: well, it requires skills, i guess thats enough said.

then theres the group of people who like racing games, and dirt/grid is an awesome racing game for them.

Sinnoch

Banned
jee said:
basically dirt/grid is an arcade racer which still requires driving skills. so here is a breakdown why some people don't like it.

simulator guys: they are only good at tuning and all that boring stuff in racing games so its probably way too fast for them.

arcade fans: well, it requires skills, i guess thats enough said.

then theres the group of people who like racing games, and dirt/grid is an awesome racing game for them.

You're going to get a ton of flak, but I think you have it nailed. It felt really twitchy and light at first, but after 4 races I felt dialed in and it's fun (manual, all assists off except ABS). Any real sim fan will quickly realize if you take the racing line and brake properly you'll lay down faster laps. The cars have a lot of grip so those without proper racing skills won't get completely abused in the corners, but they also won't be nearly as fast. I think its a pretty good balance actually. I think its best viewed as a slightly more forgiving PGR with nice damage modeling and clean graphics.

I love how visceral it feels compared to Forza/GT5.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Thrakier said:
Yes, that's true, also Uncharted looks unbelievable. But in multiplat games it's almost the same for every game...worse textures, worse fsaa, no 720p in gta...and and and. Why is it? They can do it on 360, it should also work on PS3, shouldn't it?

Ask the devs. Burnout turned out fine. Discrepancies are on the devs head not the hardware's.

sinnergy

Well to be perfectly honest, I saw 1 tear in the X360 version :lol

Than I played the PS3 version which even stuttered in the intro of the track (San Fran) and when racing has lots more tearing. I also could tell in the menu's that it has less AA.

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's a jaggie land in the demo (Ps3 here).

Graphics aren't impressive at all(crappy colors or something). The game is fast, responsive and controls smooth though, even though i hate the R2/L2 triggers.

More arcadey than i expected, it's fun.

hgplayer1

chespace said:
Argh, pet peeve with the DiRT engine is back!

They have a gorgeous game so I want to check out replays but they never let me choose the camera angle I want in their "cinematic" view. There are a couple views I really like; for instance, the over the shoulder driver cam with all the violent camera shakes. Why can't I just leave the replay camera in that view for the whole replay?

Retarded we couldn't do it in DiRT, and they brought that "feature" back to Grid.

I feel your pain Che, I really do! I had this same issue with another racing game when it launched a while back. I couldnt for the life of me understand why the replay function was so limited. Can you guess which game Im referring to? :lol

FrankT

TTP said:
Yep. PS3 clearly inferior to the 360 version as far as frame rate stability and image quality goes. Didn't pay too much attention to the textures but I'm sure there is a downgrade there as well.

Ahh, explains much.

painey

obviously the lead platform was the 360, thus why the PS3 version isnt as good. Burnout was created with PS3 as lead platform, thus why it was nigh perfect on PS3.

sinnergy said:
Wasn't this engine co-developed with Sony? What went wrong?
I think by now, other than those delusional, most would have figured out that it's much easier to make the same game run better on 360 than PS3. 95% of the multiplatform games have shown this, over and over and over.

2real4tv

Thrakier said:

Iam in the same boat I like booting up my ps3 more but it look like Iam going to start to buy most of the multiplats on my 360...still got to get it fixed :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Shogmaster said:
I think by now, other than those delusional, most would have figured out that it's much easier to make the same game run better on 360 than PS3. 95% of the multiplatform games have shown this, over and over and over.

Eh, not quite. It's not a matter of "we can make this game look even better on the 360" but more "what do we need to cut from the PS3 to get this game running on par with the 360?"

Top Bottom