• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racial punishment in America. My trouble with the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konka

Banned
I managed to get myself in trouble with the law quite a few times while I was in college and I managed to get out of all of it. I am white and I was a college student when all of this happened.

1.) I got an underage at 19. This one I wouldn't imagine would cause much for anyone, I was 19 and got an underage. I was offered the opportunity to do 30 hours of community service and it was dropped.

2.) Possession of Marijuana. This is a good one. I got caught buying half an ounce of weed and the officers detained me for a few minutes and then let me walk home telling me I'd get a letter in the mail. My state has no decriminalized marijuana. I went to my preliminary hearing and they dropped the possession charge for summary disorderly conduct. $130 fine and I was done.
-There was a black man at the same hearing as me with the same charge who was told it would be brought to trial. I don't know what happened to him later.

3.) Reckless endangerment. I got myself into a situation while drunk that required me to call 911 to help me. I appeared at the hearing and it was summary trespassing. $100 and I was free.

4.) Theft & Transport of stolen goods. I worked for a company and took an old laptop that was going to be trashed and sold it on craigslist. I had no lawyer and the DA told me I needed to get one. Two weeks later the DA calls me and tells me they are putting me into a deferment program. I go onto the program and just need to pay restitution and update the court on my current situation. This ends in May 2012 and all charges against me are dropped.

I am now older and realize how much trouble I put myself into. Shockingly, none of these things have affected my ability to get a job or live a good life. The trespassing and disorderly conduct charge have been expunged. All of these charges have had literally no effect on my professional life.

My point is that I don't understand how I got off so easily. I hear news stories every day here of people doing the same thing and they are often black and charged to the full extent of the law. I was basically given slaps on the wrist over and over.

Law enforcement in this country is ridiculously unequal.

Jeels

Glad it hasn't affected your professional life and you've mostly suffered little consequence. You are right though that the system treats minorities different. Why? I don't really understand, at all.

Would you rather you get the same punishment as some of the other folks you knew were in the same situation as you, or they get less harsh ones like you did?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You are right though that the system treats minorities different. Why? I don't really understand, at all.

We have a word for a system treating people differently because of the color of their skin, but the moment you use that word the defense force rolls out.

Anonumos

Banned
Glad it hasn't affected your professional life and you've mostly suffered little consequence. You are right though that the system treats minorities different. Why? I don't really understand, at all.

Would you rather you get the same punishment as some of the other folks you knew were in the same situation as you, or they get less harsh ones like you did?

You REALLY don't understand why? Serious?

JohnDoe

Banned

Holy shit, not even a minute after your post that happened. I can't.

Edit:

OP, it's good you realize you done fucked up. And kudos to you for putting your situation in context and showing empathy towards other races, a lot people don't seem to be able to do that.

Enzom21

Shouldn't things be equal?
What if the black man had a history and that's the reason for going to trial?
Did you even read the OP?

OP got into some real mischief back in the day. Haha, kids will be kids.

Shame blacks don't get the same benefit of the doubt.

Anonumos

Banned
Explain it to me.

The fact that you are assume that the black man must have had a criminal history and so deserves harsher punishment in a thread about a white male with a criminal history getting slaps on the wrists suggests no amount of explanation will get through to you.

Of course! The black man must have had a history! If only he had a clear record like the OP...

EDIT:

Holy shit, good call. That was on point too. Literally seconds after your post.

Jesus, you people. I'm not saying "he was black, HE MUST HAVE HAD A HISTORY!!" I'm saying that the OP is implying that the black man's case went to trial solely because he was black, without knowing any of the facts behind the case.

glow

Banned
The black guy in court was arrested for buying a half oz of marijuana (exactly like you)? That's an odd coincidence.

Kwixotik

I had to go to court for possession of alcohol while underage one time and there was a black dude there being charged with going 5 mph over the speed limit.

Jesus, you people. I'm not saying "he was black, HE MUST HAVE HAD A HISTORY!!" I'm saying that the OP is implying that the black man's case went to trial solely because he was black, without knowing any of the facts behind the case.

Point is that even for their first offense they get the book thrown at them. Are you really this obtuse?

mr2xxx

Banned
Explain it to me.

Justice system is horribly biased. White people get lighter sentences compared to blacks/hispanic everything else being equal. Women get lighter sentences than men. Attractive people get lighter sentences than ugly people. Rich get lighter sentences than poor people.

Of course the justice system treats the races differently. Hell most of the time it isn't even overt racism, its just that it's easier for some people to identify with folks they think are like themselves.

Anonumos

Banned

You are missing the point. Had places been reversed, the chances of OP being arrested would still be much lower than the black man's. That's the point.

Point is that even for their first offense they get the book thrown at them. Are you really this obtuse?

How do you know it was this guy's first offense? I'm not talking about the OP as a whole (because the whole system is fucked up), I'm just criticizing his judgment of that black man going to trial solely because he was black, without knowing anything about the case or the history behind it.

How do you know it was this guy's first offense? I'm not talking about the OP as a whole (because the whole system is fucked up), I'm just criticizing his judgment of that black man going to trial solely because he was black, without knowing anything about the case or the history behind it.

You're nitpicking his example just to be obtuse. This is why we can't have fucking discussions about anything.

Anonumos

Banned

You are missing the point. Had places been reversed, the chances of OP being arrested would still be much lower than the black man's. That's the point.

There really is no way of knowing that in this case. There is obviously a huge bias against minorities in a lot of areas, but not every case is the same.

Anonumos

Banned
There really is no way of knowing that in this case. There is obviously a huge bias against minorities in a lot of areas, but not every case is the same.

fucking lol

EDIT: Listen, I understand what you are trying to say, and I don't think you are a troll or anything like that. You are just naive and/or ignorant about things like this.

Tenrius

I can actually side with The Mana Legend here — what you say is probably true, but we just don't know the details of this particular case, so it's not a really good illustration. It's fucked up either way, of course, because even if the man did have some prior stuff, so did the OP.

I can actually side with The Mana Legend here — what you say is probably true, but we just don't know the details of this particular case, so it's not a really good illustration. It's fucked up either way, of course, because even if the man did have some prior stuff, so did the OP.

Oh okay let's get hung up on a minor detail despite the entire fucking point of this thread.

Konka

Banned
I got off with shit after an underage, trespassing, disorderly conduct on a theft and transporting stolen good charge. This isn't a peanuts charge. It is beyond bogus that I get off and others go to jail for YEARS for the same charge. And I got off because I was white college student.

fucking lol

EDIT: Listen, I understand what you are trying to say, and I don't think you are a troll or anything like that. You are just naive and/or ignorant about things like this.

I'm not ignorant at all about things like this. I just like knowing shit before I start calling people racist.

Anonumos

Banned
I'm not ignorant at all about things like this. I just like knowing shit before I start calling people racist.

The fuck...who called you racist?

To clarify, I don't think you are racist. I just think you don't understand the degree to which things are utterly fucked up with respect to incarcerations for minorities

lexi

Banned
Justice system is horribly biased. White people get lighter sentences compared to blacks/hispanic everything else being equal. Women get lighter sentences than men. Attractive people get lighter sentences than ugly people. Rich get lighter sentences than poor people.

Which is why a poor, unattractive black man gets 25 to life for sneezing without covering out his mouth.

This is the problem. Racism doesn't mean you have to find a "who." We're talking about systematic and institutionalized racism when it comes to the justice system. We're talking about the same system that allowed the OP to go unpunished.

Anonumos

Banned
Damn, dat hammer.

I don't think he was a bad guy though. I think he was just trying to make a point; dude just didn't understand how systematic racism works.

Hopefully it's a short ban.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Racism is weird. Everybody knows it totally exists, but when you look at any specific situation, racism is never involved. You can know that it exists, but when you look for it, it turns into something else.

Don%27t_blink.jpg

Racism is quantum locked. It doesn't exist when it's being observed. The moment it is seen by any living creature, it freezes into a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom