• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Black History Month essay shocks school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

That's why I said not all, but you have to admit that certain areas have higher crime rates than others and thus, you will see more bad actions happen in those certain areas. Obviously it won't be all black or all any race. I live in Chicago and there are parts of the south side I'd rarely go to because of the higher possibility of crime. However if you grew up down in certain areas then you'd have an opinion formed about people because it is a problem.

Exactly. But yet it is only the blacks (and most likely other minorities) that she hates. Therefore the "bad neighborhood" excuse that you laid out holds no water whatsoever.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You think she would say Obama should be a slave?

I can't defend that one because that's the skeptical side of her. Let me put this in a perspective from a comic book: X-Men. If you grew up mainly seeing magneto and crew causing problems and then there was this guy called professor x on the TV promoting peace, she would still be skeptical of professor x.

Exactly. But yet it is only the blacks (and most likely other minorities) that she hates. Therefore the "bad neighborhood" excuse that you laid out holds no water whatsoever.

If she grew up in a bad neighborhood, it wouldn't help. Can you at least agree on this fact? The only other way to see this is that she grew up in a rich white family in a good neighborhood who talked crap about black people everyday and thus influenced her but it wouldn't line up with what she is claiming she sees and experiences in that essay.

theWB27

That's why I said not all, but you have to admit that certain areas have higher crime rates than others and thus, you will see more bad actions happen in those certain areas. Obviously it won't be all black or all any race. I live in Chicago and there are parts of the south side I'd rarely go to because of the higher possibility of crime. However if you grew up down in certain areas then you'd have an opinion formed about people because it is a problem.

As one black man to another... it's unfortunate you're trying to find some rational reason for her hating you.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
As one black man to another... it's unfortunate you're trying to find some rational reason for her hating you.

And now the spin happens. If you read my original post, I said she is ignorant and uneducated at her age. Then I said if she still stays the same way after growing up further and having more experiences in life, then whatever with her. I'd say the same for any person any race. People still have a chance to grow. There are thousands of kids and teenagers on Xbox live who yell racist profanities who don't know any better. Can they still grow to be better people? Yes. Will they? Not always the case but we can try.

Glix

If she grew up in a bad neighborhood, it wouldn't help. Can you at least agree on this fact? The only other way to see this is that she grew up in a rich white family in a good neighborhood who talked crap about black people everyday and thus influenced her but it wouldn't line up with what she is claiming she sees and experiences in that essay.

As has been said in this thread many times, conjecture about why she is this way with zero information is pointless.

She could have grown up in a situation like American History X.

Her family could be great but she could have a nasty group of friends.

She could have been indoctrinated by the internet.

She could have been raped mulitple times by a group of black men.

Which is why posts like your original one come off as suspect. Hence my reaction.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
As has been said in this thread many times, conjecture about why she is this way with zero information is pointless.

She could have grown up in a situation like American History X.

Her family could be great but she could have a nasty group of friends.

She could have been indoctrinated by the internet.

She could have been raped mulitple times by a group of black men.

Which is why posts like your original one come off as suspect. Hence my reaction.
I agree with you it could be anything, and I'm just making my own speculation based on her essay and what I've seen before in life.

Also that's understandable you saw my post as suspect but please from one good poster to another, cool off a bit before posting next time when disagreeing with someone and don't be too fast to make someone out to be a bad person. It happens a lot on this forum which is why I sometimes avoid topics like this one because the minute you have a different opinion than the pack, you are immediately dog piled by posters. That's not the way to go about things.

Anti black bias amongst blacks is a huge problem. Your small myopic "observations" are not excused by the color of your skin.

Nice anime avatar, btw.

That anti black bias is an assumption based on me saying "all blacks" which I never said and it isn't true. This is how misinformation spreads and someone is condemned to be what you've stated before that person gets to correct the other.

Thanks for the avatar compliment.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But if you lived in that part of South Side Chicago, you'd also know about enough black people that "aren't" dangerous that it wouldn't lead you to believe that black people were better off as slaves.

And lets not act as if she doesn't have TV or the internet also. Lets be for real here man.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
But if you lived in that part of South Side Chicago, you'd also know about enough black people that "aren't" dangerous that it wouldn't lead you to believe that black people were better off as slaves.

And lets not act as if she doesn't have TV or the internet also. Lets be for real here man.

I do know this as I grew up here. However, taking out the slave part of your argument you have to admit the opposite, that there is a higher crime rate in certain areas here than other parts of Chicago. And even south siders in decent neighborhoods will tell you where not to go. I'm not connecting bad neighborhoods with her comment on slavery obviously, which is an odd connection to make in the first place. Like me and glix said above, we don't know the full circumstances of her living and education, so we are all making assumptions and predictions of what we perceive to be her truth based on her essay.

You see me coming from an angle of her being ignorant and uneducated about the topic. I'm not defending her to death but just trying to understand. Also how many teenagers you know with internet and TV actually look at politics, history, and societal issues? Let's be real here. I'm pretty sure she gets that info from parents and teachers.

theWB27

And now the spin happens. If you read my original post, I said she is ignorant and uneducated at her age. Then I said if she still stays the same way after growing up further and having more experiences in life, then whatever with her. I'd say the same for any person any race. People still have a chance to grow. There are thousands of kids and teenagers on Xbox live who yell racist profanities who don't know any better. Can they still grow to be better people? Yes. Will they? Not always the case but we can try.

There is no spin. She's old enough to know she's racist and spouted some racist ish. She knows exactly what she wrote.

My biggest peeve about this growing up line is what age does that happen? She get to go around fucking over black people until she has her moment at 60- 70 years old? Waiting a week to see if she's changed is too long to allow overt racism to fester.

She's racist. She needs to be called out in the worst way possible. She needs to be shown there's a consequence and meeting half way isn't it.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
There is no spin. She's old enough to know she's racist and spouted some racist ish. She knows exactly what she wrote.

My biggest peeve about this growing up line is what age does that happen? She get to go around fucking over black people until she has her moment at 60- 70 years old? Waiting a week to see if she's changed is too long to allow overt racism to fester.

She's racist. She needs to be called out in the worst way possible. She needs to be shown there's a consequence and meeting half way isn't it.

If that change were to happen to someone late, it would usually happen around the college years of 18-24. If she is in her 20s still agreeing with an essay she wrote in her teens then obviously it's too late. I'm not saying people shouldn't call her out on it, but I'm saying it should be handled the right way. Bullying someone into a corner until they either break and agree or lash out even more, and being taught what's right from wrong from parents and peers are two different things.

I do know this as I grew up here. However, taking out the slave part of your argument you have to admit the opposite, that there is a higher crime rate in certain areas here than other parts of Chicago. And even south siders in decent neighborhoods will tell you where not to go. I'm not connecting bad neighborhoods with her comment on slavery obviously, which is an odd connection to make in the first place. Like me and glix said above, we don't know the full circumstances of her living and education, so we are all making assumptions and predictions of what we perceive to be her truth based on her essay.
Her truth right now is you'd be better off a slave based on your skin color. She doesn't need to know you. She knows your type.

I don't think you've let that sink in.

Further, she fairly clearly sites "the news" as the source for her growing bitterness. Like, she didn't say she had any bad experiences. She basically said, "I've seen enough of you brown skins on the 6 o'clock news to understand that you people are mostly bad people."

Stop trying to interject your life experience into her shoes to give her excuses. This shit is real simple: she's real dumb, her family is undoubtedly full of racists. She believes everyone in the Bible is white (everyone that matters) and that if black people were good, God would have made some of those characters black. She believes black people are criminals because look at the tv. All they do is commit crime and ruin things. On the evening news every night. If only they were still slaves, these wild animals would be under control and they'd be better off as would we good wholesome God-fearin white people whom God loves.

Hers couldn't be a more classic case. That you're trying to make it more is fascinating.

akira28

someone's trying to give her the benefit of doubt?

well, I guess we found one of those real life angels the people on the news are always talking about.

anyway, why is someone trying to use the "bad neighborhood" excuse for someone who goes to a private Catholic school in Louisiana?

theWB27

If that change were to happen to someone late, it would usually happen around the college years of 18-24. If she is in her 20s still agreeing with an essay she wrote in her teens then obviously it's too late. I'm not saying people shouldn't call her out on it, but I'm saying it should be handled the right way. Bullying someone into a corner until they either break and agree or lash out even more, and being taught what's right from wrong from parents and peers are two different things.

But what if that's what it takes?

mckmas8808

I can't defend that one because that's the skeptical side of her. Let me put this in a perspective from a comic book: X-Men. If you grew up mainly seeing magneto and crew causing problems and then there was this guy called professor x on the TV promoting peace, she would still be skeptical of professor x.

I like this example actually. And the response I have to you would be that, in your example I would be able to point to many "non-mutants" that are doing equally terrible things like Magneto and crew but she'd look past it.

That's the problem with you giving her this slack. She's looking past the "humans" that are causing problems and soley focusing on the mutants that cause problems. AND on top of that she's looking past the mutants that aren't causing any problems and she's looking past the mutants that's solved many problems.

well, I guess we found one of those real life angels the people on the news are always talking about.

anyway, why is someone trying to use the "bad neighborhood" excuse for someone who goes to a private Catholic school in Louisiana?
Because reasons.

Game recognize game and some in here are lookin hella unfamiliar. Feels real bad to see a black man doing the most stretching and contorting in an attempt to protect this special flower here.

I like this example actually. And the response I have to you would be that, in your example I would be able to point to many "non-mutants" that are doing equally terrible things like Magneto and crew but she'd look past it.

That's the problem with you giving her this slack. She's looking past the "humans" that are causing problems and soley focusing on the mutants that cause problems. AND on top of that she's looking past the mutants that aren't causing any problems and she's looking past the mutants that's solved many problems.
Yep.

Aselith

Her essay is hilarious because she describes getting side eyed by her own grandma for crossing the cart when a black man walked by.

Acinixys

Im more upset with the grammar and syntax usage!

Who the fuck writes like that! Is this truly the next generation, of school leavers.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
A lot to respond to here, I'll try my best.

All I'm saying is that she can be educated and helped into changing her ignorant opinion. If that helps make me an angel then I guess all teachers and counselors are angels.

Oh, and to answer your edited statement, a friend of mine went to a Catholic school a few blocks away from the public school I went to. We both had the same experiences since we both grew up on the south side of Chicago. The type of school doesn't matter when compared to the area it is in.

But what if that's what it takes?

A part of me says "well then it is what it is" but another part of me says "then we are not showing them that we are better"

Nothing wrong with this statement and you're right. From that standpoint though, it would take more than Obama existing for a person like her to change that opinion. She needs to be educated right.

Because reasons.

Game recognize game and some in here are lookin hella unfamiliar. Feels real bad to see a black man doing the most stretching and contorting in an attempt to protect this special flower here.

Yep.

If you read my posts, I didn't stretch. I didn't even defend. I didn't even call her a special flower. But, people want to throw labels and accusations my way. In response to your last post lashing out at me over issues I already answered, go read my previous ones. Game recognize game but you have to know the whole argument first before stepping in.

Edit: Have to go, but good conversation back and forth. I'll be back later to respond to people who I'm sure will find more issue with my positive approach to this situation. Just letting some here know so you don't think I'm avoiding rebuttals.

Amikami

Banned
I'm upset that people keep saying they're more upset with the syntax and grammar. I know you're playing off the whole grammar Nazi culture here on gaf but just no. We get it.

mckmas8808

Nothing wrong with this statement and you're right. From that standpoint though, it would take more than Obama existing for a person like her to change that opinion. She needs to be educated right.

I respect your ability to communicate your opinion here, but I still think you don't understand. We are trying to tell you that she doesn't/wouldn't care what Obama or any good black has/is/will do. There's no way in the world anybody should believe that Obama is the only non-threatening black person that she knows on planet Earth.

Racist don't care about facts. That's one of the main reason that allows them to be racist.

I respect your ability to communicate your opinion here, but I still think you don't understand. We are trying to tell you that she doesn't/wouldn't care what Obama or any good black has/is/will do. There's no way in the world anybody should believe that Obama is the only non-threatening black person that she knows on planet Earth.

Racist don't care about facts. That's one of the main reason that allows them to be racist.
Yes.

bengraven

When I was about her age I hated Mexicans. They were stealing our jobs, they would stare at me with snide little cocky grins like they were so much better than me or were about to rob me. I thought white people shouldn't breed with other races. I got sick to my stomach seeing people like my cousin dating Asian guys exclusively or my best friends sister and mother only dating Mexican men. I thought they were brain damaged - one bad relationship causing them to rebel against their race to get attention when in reality they needed therapy or God.

I got better.

It drove me insane with anger but my best friend started hanging out with other races. Our town was 30% Mexican so as a kid you were almost always going to have friends of another race or else you played alone (exceptions being th rich white neighborhoods or the farmer kids who only hung out with white kids and post ALM and pro-Trump bullshit on our 20th reunion Facebook group). I hated it and became more racist because he became closer to some of them than me, who had been around since he was 4. I thought he was just another white kid hanging out with minorities because it made them cool.

And some of those friends of friends became good friends. Best friends. I ended up falling for a Mexican girl. I would study the Asian kids art and they would give me pointers - or play Street Fighter with me. I got into a fight with a black/Hispanic kid (who stalked me through high school -that's another story) and when my stepdad called him a n***er I actually defended the sociopathic fuck - "it's not his race, it's that he's an asshole". I cried on election night for fear of my friend who's legality has been questioned and his two adorable kids with their chipmunk cheeks.

I am not perfect because that programming from childhood, put in my head by my parents, was pretty strong. But for at least 24 of my 37 years I have done my best to be a better person to the point where I literally do not care what your race is. I am not a white savior but I think I'm a good example of someone who can learn to be better.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm shocked mostly by the ignorance.

Should be pretty easy to poke some holes into her world view.
Fight back (strongly) with facts.

When I was about her age I hated Mexicans. They were stealing our jobs, they would stare at me with snide little cocky grins like they were so much better than me or were about to rob me. I thought white people shouldn't breed with other races. I got sick to my stomach seeing people like my cousin dating Asian guys exclusively or my best friends sister and mother only dating Mexican men. I thought they were brain damaged - one bad relationship causing them to rebel against their race to get attention when in reality they needed therapy or God.

I got better.

It drove me insane with anger but my best friend started hanging out with other races. Our town was 30% Mexican so as a kid you were almost always going to have friends of another race or else you played alone (exceptions being th rich white neighborhoods or the farmer kids who only hung out with white kids and post ALM and pro-Trump bullshit on our 20th reunion Facebook group). I hated it and became more racist because he became closer to some of them than me, who had been around since he was 4. I thought he was just another white kid hanging out with minorities because it made them cool.

And some of those friends of friends became good friends. Best friends. I ended up falling for a Mexican girl. I would study the Asian kids art and they would give me pointers - or play Street Fighter with me. I got into a fight with a black/Hispanic kid (who stalked me through high school -that's another story) and when my stepdad called him a n***er I actually defended the sociopathic fuck - "it's not his race, it's that he's an asshole". I cried on election night for fear of my friend who's legality has been questioned and his two adorable kids with their chipmunk cheeks.

I am not perfect because that programming from childhood, put in my head by my parents, was pretty strong. But for at least 24 of my 37 years I have done my best to be a better person to the point where I literally do not care what your race is. I am not a white savior but I think I'm a good example of someone who can learn to be better.

Mind Blowing. I take like MLK's thought on this. This might be a weird thing to say, but in some ways you are also a victim of living in a racist society. So much unnecessary hatred in your mind for no reason at all.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

I actually do understand and my response to your statement is in the very next sentence after the one you bolded. Racist opinions are not set in stone from someone's teenage years and if you truly do believe that then you might as well have lost all hope in our future as a society. There is still time for change and improvement during those years.

Also, Thank You to bengraven for providing your personal experience from the other side of this. What you have just told us is what this whole time I have been trying to say is possible.

People can change. Doesnt mean you have to excuse their behavior.

I had negative feelings towards gay people when I was younger. It was people I met in my life who called me out on my shit and people not tolerating my behavior that made me step back from myself and realize how wrong I was. Its not my fault for growing up in the environment I did but it doesnt mean it was OK for me to act the way I did.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
People can change. Doesnt mean you have to excuse their behavior.

I had negative feelings towards gay people when I was younger. It was people I met in my life who called me out on my shit and people not tolerating my behavior that made me step back from myself and realize how wrong I was. Its not my fault for growing up in the environment I did but it doesnt mean it was OK for me to act the way I did.

It is not excusing but finding a reason why. There is a reason why for every action, even hateful ones. I'm sure there was a reason why you had those negative feelings in the past. This doesn't excuse you for what you previously did but it helps provide context. Reactions can go either way. You happened to take a step back in a good way from those who didn't tolerate your opinions but I'm betting there was someone out there who was like you that did the opposite because coming at him or her like that wasn't the right method for that person.

C.Mongler

Holy shit, I find it amusing that she assumes Jesus and the Apostles were all white and not, ya know, brown Middle Eastern folk.

"she just doesn't know any better"....Always some fucking excuse. Always "what about Black on Black crime" or "they really didn't mean it".

It is not excusing but finding a reason why. There is a reason why for every action, even hateful ones. I'm sure there was a reason why you had those negative feelings in the past. This doesn't excuse you for what you previously did but it helps provide context. Reactions can go either way. You happened to take a step back in a good way from those who didn't tolerate your opinions but I'm betting there was someone out there who was like you that did the opposite because coming at him or her like that wasn't the right method for that person.
I can respect that approach if you feel that it will help to show tolerance and understanding. Maybe that approach will sway certain people. But there are other people who tired of being tolerant. There are also those unwilling to learn and listen.

You can try and understand where someone is coming from, but you must also understand that some behavior should be treated with punishment and not just letting things slide for whatever the reason may be. Some behavior and beliefs are dangerous to others and needs to be stamped out and not coddled. IMO anyway. A public shaming is not too heavy a punishment in this case if you ask me.

I got better.

damn fam. whew.

The Pope

This is 100% the parents influence

True but still god damn disgusting, sickening. Gonna go to bed now...need to calm myself.

The problem is this is more common than you think particularly among the less intelligent. I believe that in present times their is a strong correlation between racism and stupidity. Unfortunately there are a lot of stupid people.

mckmas8808

I got better.

This was an excellent thing to read as a black guy. Thanks for sharing.

Caelus

I'm all for rehabilitating, educating, guiding people away from stupid fucking bigoted beliefs, as long as those with privilege pick up the slack or do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Her truth right now is you'd be better off a slave based on your skin color. She doesn't need to know you. She knows your type.

I don't think you've let that sink in.

Further, she fairly clearly sites "the news" as the source for her growing bitterness. Like, she didn't say she had any bad experiences. She basically said, "I've seen enough of you brown skins on the 6 o'clock news to understand that you people are mostly bad people."

Stop trying to interject your life experience into her shoes to give her excuses. This shit is real simple: she's real dumb, her family is undoubtedly full of racists. She believes everyone in the Bible is white (everyone that matters) and that if black people were good, God would have made some of those characters black. She believes black people are criminals because look at the tv. All they do is commit crime and ruin things. On the evening news every night. If only they were still slaves, these wild animals would be under control and they'd be better off as would we good wholesome God-fearin white people whom God loves.

Hers couldn't be a more classic case. That you're trying to make it more is fascinating.

Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom