• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Investor Marc Faber:"Thank God white people populated America, not the blacks"

mavo

Banned
Saying America is what it is because is white is not only super racist but is also an insult to the people who made America what it is.

Sanojio

http://www.reuters.com/article/people-faber/dr-doom-commentator-marc-faber-faces-backlash-over-race-comments-idUSL2N1MS1IK

(Faber is a Swiss economist residing in Asia, he's not an American and he doesnt live in America, though he does contribute to American business channels like CNBC and Fox Business)

Ive seen many White supremacists on social media ask "well what's wrong with what he said? Pre-colonial Africa didnt contribute anything to the sciences and technologies!".
But anyone with an even basic understanding of African history knows thats false. It's interesting that the professor mentions modern Zimbabwe and the Mugabe era as his example of Black failure and intellectual incompetence. But the Shona people, who occupied ancient Zimbabwe were known for their feats of engineering and architectural skill.

Great Zimbabwe:For centuries, this ancient Shona city stood at the hub of a vast trade network.
White supremacists cant even get their own lies and fabrications right. Maybe they should spend less time disparaging other races and cultures and more time actually learning about them before they speak so arrogantly about what they have or havnt contributed to the world.

Faber confirmed to Business Insider that the report was authentic.

"I am naturally standing by this comment since this is an undisputable fact," Faber said in an email.

In a follow-up email, Faber further defended the note: "If stating some historical facts makes me a racist, then I suppose that I am a racist. For years, Japanese were condemned because they denied the Nanking massacre."

Even non-american white people are for confederate monuments. White supremacy is very much invested in statues and history books that uphold whites and denigrates black folks.

ShyMel

I'm not a racist but allow me to make a horribly racist remark that does not account for slavery and colonization, or that African cultures have made great efforts in science, tech, and much more. Hope he faces more consequences than just no TV appearances.

boingball

Yeah, taking Zimbabwe as an example is rich.

Obviously Zimbabwe today is a shit-show but Whites had a very very big hand in that. We don't know how Africa would have evolved without white interference.

Also claiming that America is prosperous could be disputed. The US cannot afford universal health care (at least according to their two leading parties) while a lot of other countries can afford it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
1.jpg

That wasn't even diet racism though. That was full cocaine coca-cola racism.

Lunar15

How is that literally anything but racism. It's the most basic textbook definition.

He keeps saying that he's stating facts, but I don't see any facts or figures listed anywhere. I can tell you, with substantial evidence, that the Nanking Massacre happened.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
this is what white systemic oppression looks like. When white people own all the capital and have no idea of the struggles of the people they have underfoot, claim they are not racists while still being racists full on.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This entire concept of "Africa is a shithole, hence blacks are uncivilized lololol" is one of the most disingenuous and fucked up arguments, that a person can make. That asshole is still trying to make that old argument of IQ difference between "races" isn't he?

Bad borders, civil unrest from post-colonization poverty, rampant diseases left untreated because of said poverty...The entire place was pillaged top to bottom. They have nothing left. These aren't facts for the guy?

When motherfuckers bring up Hong Kong (not him in particular but...) as an example of a post-colonial area that flourished I just want to bang my head on a wall.

Ac30

Did he also mention how white supremacy doesn't exist because of Asians' success?

OG Cane Sugar Slave Labor Coke

I find it saddening when people point to Asia's success as some sort of argument against colonialism ruining Africa - nevermind that most of its success stories (Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, China, Thailand) were never colonized by Western powers.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
When ever I hear insane shit like this, I really want to know their thoughts.

Like please explain.... So I can know just how stupid you really are.

Zukkoyaki

Isn't this the same Marc Faber who spent most of the past decade screaming about how liberal economic policies will trigger hyperinflation and predicting massive recessions basically every year with no accuracy (aka: Buy my newsletter!)?

Good to know he's a racist as well. Scumbag.

Is it even possible to start a sentence with "I'm not racist but" and have the result be anything other than racist? Even if it was something totally innocuous like "I'm not racist, but Bartlett is my favorite varietal of pear," I'm immediately thinking there has to be something racially charged about pears. Never mind that a Swiss investor apparently has absolutely no idea about the history of labor in America...

1781-1865: We're not going to pay for labor.
1865-1911: OK, we'll pay, but not much, and you have to work 18 hours a day, and that goes for women and children too.
1911-1945: Fine, we'll provide ACTUAL fire exits and you can work fewer hours per week, provided we can still pay immigrants less.
1945-1980: All these fucking labor laws that have resorted in the most prosperous economy the world has ever known are really cramping our vibe. Is there any way we can be obscenely rich through exploitative practices again?
1981-present: This rich actor guy has an idea; let's just stop taxing the rich. And now that we've got more money to invest in factories in America, did you know that over in Asia, they have basically no labor laws at all? Hmmmm, what to do....

Yeah, it's the "white people" who have made all the wealth. Stealing from the oppressed; what a good investment strategy.

It wasn't so long ago I genuinely thought the world was in a place that anybody saying something like this would be social and professional suicide, where people knew to keep their toxic views to themselves. The scary thing is how so many people think it's a perfectly reasonable and acceptable viewpoint these days that they're willing to come out publicly and say such heinous things and even worse that there are many that will also publicly support his statements.

It's funny how he talks about how he's glad white people populated America instead of blacks almost pretending as if it wasn't populated by it's own indigenous race in the first place. Just airbrush that out of history, it was either the whites or the blacks.

Sanojio

Conservativism is the demonic fear that somewhere, someone you consider to be your inferior is being treated as your equal. And liberalism is the eternal struggle to extend civil rights to every part of society.

jay

In this racist thought experiment, did the blacks who founded the country enslave white people to create a free labor force?

norinrad

Someone should tell him that if and when Africa decides to close the continent keeping everyone out, the West is in huge trouble. He also needs to be reminded that most companies listed on the stock exchange don't produce shit, but are as rich as hell because of resources they steal from Africa under the disguise of trade.

Laz-E-Boy

lmao, how much of a pathetic gutless coward are you that you say some full blown racist trash yet STILL are scared of being called a racist?

tbm24

Like Trump, he’s just saying what people think. I’ve heard shit like that before with regards to Africa. It’s the crux of whites being civilized and minorities being considered uncivilized animals.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I find it saddening when people point to Asia's success as some sort of argument against colonialism ruining Africa - nevermind that most of its success stories (Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, China, Thailand) were never colonized by Western powers.

China was conquered by nearly every major power at the time and divided up from the mid 19th century to after WWII. A lot of China's success came from managing to leverage their population into a manual labor force, then moving over to industrial and skill based as they are now.

Not saying I disagree, but China was the whipping boy in Asia for quite some time(Russia, Britain, French, Japan, and Germany all had parts). So saying they were never colonized is a lie. They basically got lucky the US pushed through the China Open Door policy(Only because they had no presence).

conpfreak

Between this and the Black Panther trailer thread where some people can't fathom a fictional African country being vastly more technologically advanced than the rest of it's fictional world...whew.

That statement really belies a lack of understanding of the historical and global forces that have influenced Zimbabwe as a nation to be economically less prosperous, relatively, to its European and North American peers.
Men like Faber believe people become victims of colonisation because they are inherently lesser peoples.
I will say,the one area where I agree Europeans have everyone else beat is in the science of warfare and organised violence.

matthewuk

It wasn't so long ago I genuinely thought the world was in a place that anybody saying something like this would be social and professional suicide, where people knew to keep their toxic views to themselves.

It wasn't so long ago I thought that too, it sucks to have that illusion shattered

Top Bottom