• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racists Getting Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

I'm morally conflicted. Slight upward tug of corners of the mouth seem unavoidable. Not convinced this is best approach to ending rascism though.

The problem is that this can easily backfire. They may not learn their lesson at all and may turn this into more hate.
They are already a bunch of unapologetic bigots, I don't see why they would change their opinions if no one would do anything about it.

I dont get why people are uncomfortable with this. If one of my employees posted stuff like this, I would want to know and I would discipline them or fire them.

Do people really think a racist would treat other employees, or customers of color as good as white employees or customers l? No employer in their right mind would want anyone that used speech like that working for them. Unless the employer share the same views.

No thing wrong with letting their employers what kind of asshole they've hired.

Lebron

The problem is that this can easily backfire. They may not learn their lesson at all and may turn this into more hate.
Who the hell cares

It's worse to sit by and let them keep doing it with this whole "boys will be boys" mindset.

Crisco

Banned
Is racism a genetic thing? They only time I think I'm better than someone is when it comes to morality, intellect or skill. I compare myself to them, if need be, as an individual in the aforementioned contexts, never because of their skin colour. I've never understood why it should matter. Like seriously, how does having a certain skin colour per se make one superior or inferior?

Nah, but stupidity is definitely a genetic thing, and most racists are just complete fucking heehaw morons.

tkscz

Who the hell cares

It's worse to sit by and let them keep doing it with this whole "boys will be boys" mindset.

The "Boys will be boys" mind set is ignoring them because of who they are. I'm not saying ignore them, I'm just saying other repercussions that can come up from doing something like this. Glad everyone assumed I meant do absolutely nothing.

Yes these people are definitly going to look into themselves and question their beliefs, not double down on them now that they've been fired, helping fuel a persecution complex.

Not my problem if they can't sort their shit out. Imagine one of these racist idiots in supervisory position? Imagine if they had a say in hiring or terminations.

No I have absolutely no issues with this.

Lebron

The "Boys will be boys" mind set is ignoring them because of who they are. I'm not saying ignore them, I'm just saying other repercussions that can come up from doing something like this. Glad everyone assumed I meant do absolutely nothing.

Yeah? There's always repercussions for actions. For example, them getting fired for their racist actions.

If they want to spiral downward from there, that's their problem. Not ours.

AMUSIX

I don't believe this will, in any way, help curb racism. However, it may suggest to some that racism is best kept around the kitchen table and not loudly broadcast over community forums.

It seems that in the past 10-15 years, racists have become more and more bold, and more and more vocal. I would attribute this largely to there being zero consequence for them spouting their BS. If five racists see VATRUCKDRIVER get suspended from work and decide to quiet down a bit, I'd say this is a good thing.

Oh, and any remedial business class will tell you: in the age of social media, your public expressions are of great interest to your employer, and how you conduct yourself outside of work can have a direct effect on your employment. I've no pity for someone having to deal with the consequences of their actions, and I can't agree with the playground/prison mentality that being a tattletale is a bad thing.

I find the racists to be despicable, but going so far as to get them fired? Step too far, in my opinion.

You don't think their racist attitudes that are being exposed don't extend to the work that they do? You think these racists treat black people equally in their line of work? They deserved to be fucking fired from any job.

Joni

This is censorship of free speech. Welcome to Obama's America!
I like this. Actions have consequences. I'm not happy about this being done by private citizens though. All other can of worms.

I think most people on GAF post anonymously.
Most of us have registered using accounts given to us by our ISP, University, ... It should be relatively easy to link everyone to their real life name if someone hacked the database. Even regular GAF detective work could expose a lot of us.

Like what? More circlejerking with their family and friends? One guy was waving Confederate flag, and someone thought it was a good idea and took a picture!

Hex

Banned
employers deserve to know what kind of people their employees are

No, they do not.
People deserve to have separation.
If it is not a business website, and they are not posting on their work time and the site does not have business logos on it then no they do not have any right to know.
This kind of thing is a Pandora's Box.

ivysaur12

Banned
If you are truly stupid enough to say something brazenly racist with your real name attached to said comment, my sympathy could not be lower.

No, they do not.
If it is not a business website, and they are not posting on their work time and the site does not have business logos on it then no they do not have any right to know.

People can get fired for things they do outside of work. For a lot of companies, they view their employees as a representative of the company's brand. Going to twitter and talking about how they want to shoot up Ferguson protestors or the necessity of the KKK in a public setting would usually end in a termination. The same thing would happen if you wrote the same statement to the local newspaper.

Slayven

No, they do not.

They posting on the modern equivalent of the street corner.

AMUSIX

No, they do not.

Sorry, but that is not how business operates anymore (or, really, ever). As a business owner, my employees are a reflection of my company. If I hire people who are on good behavior during work hours, but become absolute assholes when they go out for an evening, then that affects my company's reputation. Social media has just placed a megaphone in front of their thoughts so that it's not just the people at the bar hearing their BS, it's an entire community, or, in some cases, the world.

Again, every job out there has an explicitly stated rule that actions on social media can and will affect employment.

hohoXD123

No, they do not.

As another poster pointed out, what if these people are responsible for the hiring/firing of the working team? What if their job means that they have to interact with different customers? Their jobs give them certain responsibilities, their racist views can impact on these responsibilities so I would think an employer would want to know.

No, they do not.

Yes they do. If an employee is saying things publicly that will reflect negatively on the employer, they deserve to know. No one is sneaking into their homes and stealing diaries from up under a pillow. These idiots are expressing their shitty racism publicly. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence.

Devil

No, they do not.

They didn't tweet in an isolated box in private. They basically shouted it from the rooftop. That's not separated from anybody, it's public.

Hex

Banned
I honestly dont understand. You want these people to stay racist? Why wouldnt you want people to learn the error of their ways and you know stop hating people based on skin color?

This kind of thing will not change someone's mind, it will only make it worse.
Hate it or not people will have their opinions, let them die off and work harder to educate the younger generations

As far as what most seem to define as "public" we will agree to disagree.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm more worried on this being used to make people who didn't really post anything racist fired. Fake profiles are rampant and photoshopping tweets is easy

Hate it or not people will have their opinions, let them die off and work harder to educate the younger generations

I said this EXACT thing to friends and family a ways back..shit still hasn't changed. We must use another method, sadly.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is censorship of free speech. Welcome to Obama's America!
I like this. Actions have consequences. I'm not happy about this being done by private citizens though. All other can of worms.

Most of us have registered using accounts given to us by our ISP, University, ... It should be relatively easy to link everyone to their real life name if someone hacked the database. Even regular GAF detective work could expose a lot of us.

Except no one does, because no one posts under their real name and there's the assumption of anonymity, even if it's possible to figure out who a poster is. These people are posting under public accounts with their real names. It's not really a comparable situation.

Kater

Banned
It's good that these people who speak their thoughts so full of irrational hatred of other people on social media see some consequences for that. Maybe they learn from it, at least I hope so.

User 406

Banned
We currently have a terrible system where basic survival needs are contingent on employment, and where companies do everything possible to scrape up a penny for their shareholders at the expense of payroll and benefits. Hours are cut, wages stay stagnant, and jobs are eliminated. This system needs to change, and America needs to remember that a functioning social safety net is vital to our success. There won't be enough pressure to make this change until enough people are abandoned by this system, and sadly that means even more people are going to have to be struggling.

In light of this, I'm perfectly fucking fine with racist shitheads being at the bottom of that heap. I really do want a basic income for everyone so they can all get the fundamental things they need to live, but until then, if companies can just throw people to the wolves for any reason, being racist is a good one. Racism is the biggest political problem in our country, to the point where racist people are manipulated into voting against their own economic interests, which is the main reason why we've lost so much progress since the New Deal. If things are to change, then racist behavior and attitudes will need to change, and that requires the kind of social pressure we see here. It also requires a lot of repeated discussion and awareness of the unconscious and structural elements of racism, which is why there are so many threads on the subject.

So to those of you who are tired of hearing about it, tough shit. This is our problem, and we need to address it until it is fixed, and it's not going to be fixed for a long time. Racism needs to be pointed out and shamed wherever it occurs, and this is a good example. If capitalists can use racism to prevent us from using our collective governing power to ensure that the disadvantaged are taken care of, then we can use capitalism to make sure racists feel the consequences. Fuck 'em.

.GqueB.

Banned
No, they do not.
I can agree with that. Racism is one thing but I've heard stories of teachers being fired because there were pictures of them drinking on Facebook. Not getting shit faced mind you. Just drinking.

This is a slippery slope, I feel, because a line has to be drawn regarding what sort of behavior/opinions are a fireable offense. That's where it gets murky for me. I can imagine a situation where a christian boss fires an atheist for posting anti-religious views. At the end of the day, these are all just opinions.

I say all of this yet I completely agree with what's happening in this instance... So I don't know, lol.

Joni

Except no one does, because no one posts under their real name and there's the assumption of anonymity, even if it's possible to figure out who a poster is. These people are posting under public accounts with their real names. It's not really a comparable situation.
Redneck45Rem/VA Truck Driver seemed to post under a fake name. His Twitter seems to be gone so I can't be sure he didn't mention it somewhere else.

Devil

Following this we could abandon any sort of penalty for misbehaviour or crimes which is not just there to keep other people safe from the wrongdoer. Fines and other stuff might not change everyone's mind, but it certainly often helps preventing more wrongdoings. It's also quite pessimistic. People change all the time. There are great organisations which support people from fascist groups to exit or paedophiles to change. It may not be the same as fines or other penalties but still, of course people can change through help and/or punishment.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If the employee was tweeting about how terrible his company was and how no one should work there or do business with them most people saying this is wrong wouldn't care that they were fired. It wouldn't be news and no one would think twice. But when its negative about an entire race of people suddenly it's not okay.

M3d10n

Well, in this situation what options is there to do other than absolutely nothing?

It's not like these people got SWAT'ed or had bricks thrown at their houses. Their employer was simply notified of their public behavior online.

If the employee was tweeting about how terrible his company was and how no one should work there or do business with them most people saying this is wrong wouldn't care that they were fired. It wouldn't be news and no one would think twice. But when its negative about an entire race of people suddenly it's not okay.

Huh? What point are trying to make here? The later is significantly worse then the former...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Seems like this will create more problems than it will solve. I imagine most people would react to getting fired with more resentment towards whomever than start questioning themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom