• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia import impressions

Bebpo

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
So, would you say this has more or less RPG stuff than Sigma Harmonics?

Never got around to playing that so I can't compare. The most story heavy rpgs I've played have been Xenogears/Xenosaga, and what I've played of Sora no Kiseki series so far. RH definitely has more story than either so far. I'm still really early though. Haven't played it since Monday. Been focusing on Solatorobo so I can get back to RH.

Bebpo said:
Never got around to playing that so I can't compare. The most story heavy rpgs I've played have been Xenogears/Xenosaga, and what I've played of Sora no Kiseki series so far. RH definitely has more story than either so far. I'm still really early though. Haven't played it since Monday. Been focusing on Solatorobo so I can get back to RH.

More story than Xenogears/Saga!?

MlsEl.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
I'm not talking about overall story though, just the ratio to the gameplay. Like I said the first 4 hours was about 3 1/2 hours of watching scenes and 30 mins of gameplay. 1 mini-dungeon and maybe a dozen battles and 2 bosses so far.

Vamphuntr

This looks quite interesting. The time travel aspect looks really awesome even though the ''logic'' is somewhat screwed like you said. I really don't mind games with a lot of plot and story sequences as long as they are great. Hopefully I will get to play this in a language I understand one day.

Sinople

I bought it yesterday and received a nice piano arrange CD with it, certainly a left over of the pre-order bonus, confirming how much it bombed :(
I want to finish Dragon Quest VI before though, so no impressions for now.

Sinople

I'm still on DQVI but I took a break and tried it an hour or so.
So far so good, especially the music. The battle system has a lot a potential, a tremendously lot of potential should I say.
On the other hand, sound effects are really bad and I feel it lacks polish overall (in the way the characters move for example).

Sinople

I've played around 10 hours now and can confirm the game is definitely very good.

The story is captivating enough to make you want know what will happen next. You basically alternate between two time-lines created from one important decision you make at the beginning of the game. It's interesting to see how events happen drastically differently between the two. My only reserve is that the two time-lines sometimes influence each other when they should not.
As for the battle system, it's really fun. There are lots of skills that make it more and more engaging as you gain level, like aoe, traps and limits of a sort.
There is also a strong focus on gaining ability to open new paths or discover treasures in areas you already visited, like an action-adventure game a la Zelda.

J-Gaf seems to be more interested in Tactics Ogre and Golden Sun but I can safely recommend this one. Sales are desperately low but I really hope word of mouth will give it the legs it deserve, as reviews are pretty positive.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bebpo said:
I'm not talking about overall story though, just the ratio to the gameplay. Like I said the first 4 hours was about 3 1/2 hours of watching scenes and 30 mins of gameplay. 1 mini-dungeon and maybe a dozen battles and 2 bosses so far.
Wow, I wasn't expecting that at all from this. Makes me wonder if Atlus USA will even consider it at this point. :(

sundrenched

Neo Member
Sales seem terribly low, damn it's a case of good game coming at the end of a console life and getting ignored :(

All impressions are definitely welcome!

BluWacky

GhaleonQ said:
BWAHAHAHA.

Which bit? The likelihood of a US release is slim to none, but with the 3DS potentially bringing the twilight of the original DS era we may see more dedicated efforts to work on DS fan translations coming out of the woodwork.

matmanx1

BluWacky said:
Which bit? The likelihood of a US release is slim to none, but with the 3DS potentially bringing the twilight of the original DS era we may see more dedicated efforts to work on DS fan translations coming out of the woodwork.

So why wouldn't this one get a US release? Atlus has brought over far more niche games than this and I can see Atlus fans picking this one up just through exposure through Atlus emails and updates. I know it's the kind of game I would love to play.

ryan-ts

Awwww, Jeremy Parish made me excited for it and now I find out the game is a dialogue fest and has had poorer then expected sales? There's no chance of a NA release.

What is the playable character roster like in the game? For some reason I was under the impression that there were tons of characters in the vein of Radiata Stories/Suikoden, but maybe I was just mistaken or read something incorrect...

Sinople

25 hours in and the game is awesome.
There are only 7 playable characters as far as I know. Maybe some hidden later but I try to stay away from any spoiler.

Bebpo, are you still here or am I the only one playing it?

Bebpo

Banned
Sinople said:
25 hours in and the game is awesome.
There are only 7 playable characters as far as I know. Maybe some hidden later but I try to stay away from any spoiler.

Bebpo, are you still here or am I the only one playing it?

Sorta of. I'm checking the thread but I'm not playing it atm. Too many handheld games have been coming out this month so I backlogged it for the time being. Still plan to play it and Tactics Ogre by the end of the year.

Glad to hear it continues to be great. Really dug the early hours.

Ledsen

What the... I hadn't looked into this game as I for some reason thought it was a sequel to the (horrible) Radiata Stories, but it turns out it's basically my dream jrpg :O
Dark, adult story+2D graphics+great art+time travel+SMT team+Matsuno influences... holy Jesus Christ on a motherfucking motorbike, this is too good to be true :lol Let's just say some of my favourite jrpgs ever include Vagrant Story, FFXII, DDS and Chrono Trigger and you'll probably realize why I'm already in love with this game.

Sinople

Bebpo said:
Sorta of. I'm checking the thread but I'm not playing it atm. Too many handheld games have been coming out this month so I backlogged it for the time being. Still plan to play it and Tactics Ogre by the end of the year.

Glad to hear it continues to be great. Really dug the early hours.

Yeah, I see you're playing Criminal Girls now :lol

Glad to see the game will be localized, I hope it will manage to become profitable after all.

Sinople

I finished it yesterday, in 40 hours but with a good number of side quests I have yet to do.
It has some flaws but is overall very good and a strong addition to the DS RPG library.
I'll write more detailed impressions when I have some time later.

Top Bottom