• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Silvergun could come to Switch

El_Belmondo

So, uh... yeah, basically this came from Tresaure's Twitter account

We already have Ikaruga iirc. It would be neat, but nothing seems to be set in stone

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Give me this in cartridge form and I'll pay whatever you want Treasure but just give it to us.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That would be cool, I've never played this, for shame :(

Last edited:

AhmedGo

Neo Member
They should do a retail pack for this and ikaruga, in any case I'm buying if it's digital only

Kazza

Please, do PC as well!

Yes, please release this on steam too, Treasure (it's already on Xbox Live, for people with an Xbox).

Also, Guardian Heroes would be another good game to port. Since they already went to the trouble of porting the much inferior Code of Princess, I don't see why they shouldn't.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah boiiiii! Nicalis (the publisher who worked with Treasure recently to releas Ikaruga) was also teasing a physical version of Ikaruga. I'd love it of we got more of Treasure's catalogue.

Plus we got Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, and Dynamite Headdy all together on the recent SEGA Genesis collection.

A modern port of Treasure's Gradius V would be droolworthy...

Another port (or a port of a port) of Radiant Silvergun certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, but it's a shame Treasure has seemingly been unable to carve a profitable enough niche for itself in the current industry to sustain new game development.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Another port (or a port of a port) of Radiant Silvergun certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, but it's a shame Treasure has seemingly been unable to carve a profitable enough niche for itself in the current industry to sustain new game development.
Well if it somehow gains traction on Switch like other smaller games did, it could let them do a new game. Like Sin & Punishment 1's port on Wii VC let them get funded for 2 (doh, port this Nintendo!).

Last edited:
Well if it somehow gains traction on Switch like other smaller games did, it could let them do a new game. Like Sin & Punishment 1's port on Wii VC let them get funded for 2 (doh, port this Nintendo!).
The last console generation would suggest selling ports of old games isn't enough for Treasure to support the independent development of completely new content. While I'd definitely be pleased to see the company's fortune take a turn for the better, I'm not expecting any new games from them, even if they manage a port of Radiant Silvergun or some other classic titles.

Pachi72

Yeah boiiiii! Nicalis (the publisher who worked with Treasure recently to releas Ikaruga) was also teasing a physical version of Ikaruga. I'd love it of we got more of Treasure's catalogue.

Plus we got Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, and Dynamite Headdy all together on the recent SEGA Genesis collection.

A modern port of Treasure's Gradius V would be droolworthy...
That is up to Crapnami now

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
More or less a straight port of the XBLA version -- which is great, that version was excellent and packed some great enhancements, and it hasn't been released on anything since (also doesn't work in Xbox 360 emulators). Porting appears to be outsourced, if anyone was feeling like maybe Treasure still has in house staff.

There is a little bit of screen tearing in certain parts, so there might be a couple rough edges but I'm really happy to have access to this game, and playing it with an 8bitdo M30 is a joy.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Aaaaand got it. Ikaruga is the better game and RS isn't the easiest to get into, but it's been too long since the XBLA release.
Spent more than an hour already on the game. It's addictive. And still hard as nails even on normal.
I remember the XBLA version being very generous with continues? Infinite credits were the only way I could see the game's ending, and those cray cray final bosses.

Same. I know if its pedigree. But tbh i love ikaruga but I’m no good at it. I want to play this but if I suck at it I don’t want to shell out a lot.

I can't even recall the number of times i sucked hard at a game, but that never deterred me from getting good at them and eventually mastering them.

Radiant Silvergun is worth it because it's an excellent game. Outside the Saturn version, the XBLA version is the best way to play it, and if this is a port of the XBLA version, then it's worth it.

SF Kosmo

I've LONG wished that someone would come along and give them all the money they need to make a new game and a collection of all their previous games. Call it Treasure Chest. It would be amazing.
There was a collection on PS2 called Treasure Box.

I don't think Treasure still has in-house development staff, I think it's more or less a holding company to manage their existing IP.

That said, Hiroshi Iuchi, who directed RSG and Ikaruga, is working on a spiritual successor at his current employer, M2, which will be published as part of the Shot Triggers line.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Aaaaand got it. Ikaruga is the better game and RS isn't the easiest to get into, but it's been too long since the XBLA release.
Spent more than an hour already on the game. It's addictive. And still hard as nails even on normal.
I remember the XBLA version being very generous with continues? Infinite credits were the only way I could see the game's ending, and those cray cray final bosses.
XBLA version you unlock one credit per hour in arcade mode - and one life per hour in Saturn/Story mode.
Can anyone confirm the Switch version works this way too?
Saturn/Story mode is the full game with many more bosses and additional levels.
I actually somehow 1 credited the game in Arcade mode on Xbox Live. I used to know this game inside and out.

Story mode allows you to save the level of your weapons on each replay of the game. This is both good and bad.
-Good because you can progress quicker and easier and see more of the game on each playthru.
-Bad because with maxed out weapons earlier than you should, you are missing out on so many of the bullet patterns and transformations Treasure programmed into these bosses - playing a saved game with leveled up weapons, you wont see even a fraction of what each boss does.

The xbox port had two big 'flaws' in my opinion:
-First, it removed slowdown - which makes some bullet patterns (especially the last boss) very tough and tougher than it was intended and played on Saturn.
-Second, as mentioned you only got a single life per hour in Saturn/Story mode compared to a full credit on the Sega Saturn. So there's theoretically no way to unlock Free Play in Story mode. Free Play was a great reward after a large chunk of hours on the Sega Saturn because you could see the full game from level 1 and play stress free and see all the bosses and see all of their attack patterns. On the Xbox port you would have to play for 100 hours in story mode to unlock 99 lives.

Ikaruga and Silvergun are very different games. Ikaruga is more of a puzzle game where Silvergun is the ultimate skill based eye-hand coordination test. Not much memorization - just reflex skills and fair, and even slow, bullet patterns. RS has maybe 60 times more bosses than Ikaruga, seriously.
Radiant Silvergun is my favorite shmup and maybe favorite GAME of all time.
The Sega Saturn is still the best way to play but its awesome more people get a chance to play it.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Silvergun is the ultimate skill based eye-hand coordination test. Not much memorization - just reflex skills and fair, and even slow, bullet patterns.
The combo system and the bosses with multiple destroyable parts adding up to 100% still make this quite puzzle-y. There's also those hidden dogs.
RS absolutely requires memorization to play it as intended. If you want to level up those weapon faster, you have to learn the combos - therefore, the enemy patterns - very well. And there's plenty of shooters that test your eye-hand coordination much further than RS, Ikaruga included. Ikaruga is as barebones as they get - no different weapons, no levels, just pure shooting and bullet dodging, unless you want to delve into the insane chain system.
RS is a very unique shooter, but the only thing I think it excels in is boss design. It just gets crazy, in a totally good way. Xiga was mind-bending for a 1998 game.

SF Kosmo

XBLA version you unlock one credit per hour in arcade mode - and one life per hour in Saturn/Story mode.
Can anyone confirm the Switch version works this way too?
Saturn/Story mode is the full game with many more bosses and additional levels.
I actually somehow 1 credited the game in Arcade mode on Xbox Live. I used to know this game inside and out.

Story mode allows you to save the level of your weapons on each replay of the game. This is both good and bad.
-Good because you can progress quicker and easier and see more of the game on each playthru.
-Bad because with maxed out weapons earlier than you should, you are missing out on so many of the bullet patterns and transformations Treasure programmed into these bosses - playing a saved game with leveled up weapons, you wont see even a fraction of what each boss does.

The xbox port had two big 'flaws' in my opinion:
-First, it removed slowdown - which makes some bullet patterns (especially the last boss) very tough and tougher than it was intended and played on Saturn.
-Second, as mentioned you only got a single life per hour in Saturn/Story mode compared to a full credit on the Sega Saturn. So there's theoretically no way to unlock Free Play in Story mode. Free Play was a great reward after a large chunk of hours on the Sega Saturn because you could see the full game from level 1 and play stress free and see all the bosses and see all of their attack patterns. On the Xbox port you would have to play for 100 hours in story mode to unlock 99 lives.

Ikaruga and Silvergun are very different games. Ikaruga is more of a puzzle game where Silvergun is the ultimate skill based eye-hand coordination test. Not much memorization - just reflex skills and fair, and even slow, bullet patterns. RS has maybe 60 times more bosses than Ikaruga, seriously.
The Sega Saturn is still the best way to play but its awesome more people get a chance to play it.
Switch version unlocks lives faster than 1 per hour. Couldn't tell you exactly how much but noticeably.

Otherwise feels pretty identintical to the XBLA, although I notice some minor technical flaws, screen tearing and slowdown mostly in the level summary screens.

Naked Lunch

The combo system and the bosses with multiple destroyable parts adding up to 100% still make this quite puzzle-y. There's also those hidden dogs.
RS absolutely requires memorization to play it as intended. If you want to level up those weapon faster, you have to learn the combos - therefore, the enemy patterns - very well. And there's plenty of shooters that test your eye-hand coordination much further than RS, Ikaruga included. Ikaruga is as barebones as they get - no different weapons, no levels, just pure shooting and bullet dodging, unless you want to delve into the insane chain system.
RS is a very unique shooter, but the only thing I think it excels in is boss design. It just gets crazy, in a totally good way. Xiga was mind-bending for a 1998 game.
I hear you. In my case I never learned how to chain in RS - just goes beyond what my brain can handle. I was still able to manage a 1cc in RS without chaining. I did get good at 100% bosses in RS though. Ikaruga of course takes chaining to the stratosphere and the color switch gameplay is a brain fuck.

I think for me it comes down to how slow and methodical the bullets move in RS - compared to pretty much all other modern shmups. Its just more fair bullet patterns compared to Psikyo's or Caves games.

I love how RS is not just stock level>boss, level>boss like Ikaruga and all other shmups. RS is level>boss x10>level another 20 bosses. It makes other shmups seem lazy at the time and still today.

Naked Lunch

Switch version unlocks lives faster than 1 per hour. Couldn't tell you exactly how much but noticeably.

Otherwise feels pretty identintical to the XBLA, although I notice some minor technical flaws, screen tearing and slowdown mostly in the level summary screens.
If youre able on Switch - check to see if you unlock Credits/Continues - or Single Lives in Story/Saturn mode.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

This.

Can't help but think that Radiant is overhyped, and Gradius V is one of Treasure's best games.
Gradius V is a fine game but it literally rehashes some bosses from Silvergun, and some levels in GV are terrible like the Green Slime one - rarely say that about a Treasure game. GV is good but no where close to RS imo.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Dynamite Headdy clears both Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun

.... all jokes aside im glad switch owners get to experience this fuckin masterpiece, a graphical showcase for the Saturn and a godtier shmup in general.

SF Kosmo

This.

Can't help but think that Radiant is overhyped, and Gradius V is one of Treasure's best games.

Also, I wouldn't say no to a new Bangai-oh.
Even a port of the XBLA Bangai-O would be nice. Hell the XBLA Guardian Heroes too.

Gradius and Guardian Heroes are a little more complicated because Treasure doesn't own the IP, but a guy can dream, right?

SOME-MIST

I dunno if I understand the comparison because ikaruga and radiant silvergun have almost identical scoring systems. both are based around "chaining" but RSG requires you to score and gain enough experience for your weapons.
In both games the scoring system is: destroy 3 of the same color enemy in a row. But in RSG there are additional factors in how the score is calculated based on which type of enemy you destroy and special chains (such as 1x red, 1x blue, 1x yellow and then completing the 3x yellow chain), so it's really beneficial to memorize which types of enemies in which sections net you the most amount of points. the chaining in ikaruga isn't required to beat the game because you don't have to worry about leveling up weapons which is a lot more beginner friendly whereas if you don't level up your weapons in RSG you'll be basically smashing your head against a brick wall lol

SF Kosmo

Both Ikaruga and RSG are quite puzzle-like and reward strategy and memorization and reward riskier strategies for chaining more complex patterns.

Where I think they differ is that Ikaruga feels like a puzzle that has a correct solution and Radiant Silvergun feels like a puzzle with an ocean of solutions. The flexibility of the weapons system makes those problems so much more open ended.

They're both masterpieces in their own right but I get the argument that RSG is deeper.

Naked Lunch

I dunno if I understand the comparison because ikaruga and radiant silvergun have almost identical scoring systems. both are based around "chaining" but RSG requires you to score and gain enough experience for your weapons.
In both games the scoring system is: destroy 3 of the same color enemy in a row. But in RSG there are additional factors in how the score is calculated based on which type of enemy you destroy and special chains (such as 1x red, 1x blue, 1x yellow and then completing the 3x yellow chain), so it's really beneficial to memorize which types of enemies in which sections net you the most amount of points. the chaining in ikaruga isn't required to beat the game because you don't have to worry about leveling up weapons which is a lot more beginner friendly whereas if you don't level up your weapons in RSG you'll be basically smashing your head against a brick wall lol
Yeah I donno man - I always found the complaints about 'leveling up' Radiant Silvergun's weapons overblown. For one - you dont even have to chain anything to level up weapons in RS. If you just continually fire at one enemy for a set amount of time - the weapons level. Like towards the beginning of the game - the multi section blue boss - you can just hold C fire and get your C guns leveled up multiple times. Basically the weapons level up just by naturally playing the game - get them to lvl 10 and youre good. Theres only a handful of sections I shoot certain colors to level. Most of those sections I completely ignore.

For Ikaruga the chaining is just for score - but the color switch system? My only response is level 4. Thats not even a shmup level its one giant insane puzzle and im not convinced its made for humans :) RS has nothing so insane and unfun as Ikaruga's level 4.
Then Ikaruga's last boss before the yellow gem - the color switch every second during its homing lasers - I basically have to verbally say out loud which color I am to dodge all the other stuff on the screen. Its just too much. RS has nothing like that.
Where I think they differ is that Ikaruga feels like a puzzle that has a correct solution and Radiant Silvergun feels like a puzzle with an ocean of solutions. The flexibility of the weapons system makes those problems so much more open ended.

They're both masterpieces in their own right but I get the argument that RSG is deeper.
Yeah this is a good explanation. I can agree with that.
For me - the color switch gameplay of Ikaruga is just too much for my brain to comprehend in the later half of that game. I view it as 100% a puzzle.

AREYOUOKAY?

$19.99 €16.99 £15.49

For me it’s pricey so will wait for the drop.
For others it might not be.
I'll gladly pay $40-50 if they make a physical copy like Ikaruga for Switch... Which is now worth as much as the Gamecube version at around $90 or more.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

In that endless ocean of "grow vegetables and relax"-games, this was the highlight in the direct for me. Will definitly be my next SHMUP after Drainus. Never played it before, and the Switch is perfect for these games.

SOME-MIST

Yeah I donno man - I always found the complaints about 'leveling up' Radiant Silvergun's weapons overblown. For one - you dont even have to chain anything to level up weapons in RS. If you just continually fire at one enemy for a set amount of time - the weapons level. Like towards the beginning of the game - the multi section blue boss - you can just hold C fire and get your C guns leveled up multiple times. Basically the weapons level up just by naturally playing the game - get them to lvl 10 and youre good. Theres only a handful of sections I shoot certain colors to level. Most of those sections I completely ignore.

For Ikaruga the chaining is just for score - but the color switch system? My only response is level 4. Thats not even a shmup level its one giant insane puzzle and im not convinced its made for humans :) RS has nothing so insane and unfun as Ikaruga's level 4.
Then Ikaruga's last boss before the yellow gem - the color switch every second during its homing lasers - I basically have to verbally say out loud which color I am to dodge all the other stuff on the screen. Its just too much. RS has nothing like that.
yeah I guess I dunno either, I've been able to 1CC ikaruga on easy and stage 5 it on normal but I've never been able to achieve it in RSG with moderate effort and I always thought that scoring contributed to weapon level and chalked that up as the reason why. I've been able to ignore chaining in ikaruga even though my ratings are trash lmao. as a side note I generally despise rigid chaining for scoring systems, which is why I'm not the biggest fan of dodonpachi daioujou even though it's highly regarded (ddp and ddpdfk being outliers since they're a lot more lenient)

Naked Lunch

It seems they pulled this from the eshop in NA. Youtube video taken down.
Watching a stream and the sound effects are pretty crappy, theres screen tearing, the music doesnt loop correctly, and ikaruga mode doesnt work.
Hopefully these are all going to get patched.

Hardensoul

Watching a stream and the sound effects are pretty crappy, theres screen tearing, the music doesnt loop correctly, and ikaruga mode doesnt work.
Oh! Bad port? Was thinking about buying it.

Naked Lunch

Oh! Bad port? Was thinking about buying it.
Itll get fixed. This company did the same thing with a recent Cave shmup - pulled it from the shop for about a week or 2 - patched and re-released.

Seems a bit weird to announce it, release, and then take it down just hours later from shops - I guess they were under pressure to have it ready for the showcase?
I think its still up in the Japanese shop for some reason.

SF Kosmo

There's definitely some screen tearing and occasional choppiness although it oddly doesn't seem to happen at consequential times, more in the transitional moments, so it's not hugely game breaking.

What's Ikaruga mode?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
When you get to the 2-x stages the difficulty ramps up considerably. Enemy placement and fire patterns are very tricky, and chaining gets much more complicated.
Being fully powered up in Story mode doesn’t make things much shorter, too. The bosses are still pretty spongey even with weapons at level 10.

Top Bottom