• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

I am getting my ass HANDED to me in Pokemon TCG. I've lost every match since the tutorial+the one other pushover in Dr. Mason's lab. I chose the Charmander and Friends deck... should I be modding it immediately? I know how to play the game obviously, but I keep getting hit with bullshit RNG. The game doesn't really tell you where to go either, which at first I thought was fine, but maybe I've been going to clubs in the wrong order and that's why I'm hitting a wall so early? But again, since so much of this has been bad RNG maybe I AM playing it right and just getting screwed without any legitimate recourse.

I can definitely this is not a GameFreak product. The pacing, environments, dialogue and font so far all feel like a fanmade romhack.

I am getting my ass HANDED to me in Pokemon TCG. I've lost every match since the tutorial+the one other pushover in Dr. Mason's lab. I chose the Charmander and Friends deck... should I be modding it immediately? I know how to play the game obviously, but I keep getting hit with bullshit RNG. The game doesn't really tell you where to go either, which at first I thought was fine, but maybe I've been going to clubs in the wrong order and that's why I'm hitting a wall so early? But again, since so much of this has been bad RNG maybe I AM playing it right and just getting screwed without any legitimate recourse.

I can definitely this is not a GameFreak product. The pacing, environments, dialogue and font so far all feel like a fanmade romhack.
You need to mod your deck immediately and, for a while at least, grind some easy opponents for useful cards. With how much luck factors into the game, stacking the deck in your favour (so to speak) seems to be the most important thing you can do to influence the outcome.

Avoid depending too much on risky evolution chains and make sure at least some of your basic Pokémon are big damage sponges, ideally with good bang for buck in terms of attack and cheap retreat costs. From the NWR thread, people seem to recommend Chansey, Scyther, Electabuzz, Likitung, Kangaskhan, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan and Lapras.

As for others, I've found Articuno useful, as well as Gyarados, Rapidash and Golduck. Articuno and Gyarados are bruisers with huge HP pools (set them up on the bench if you can) whereas both Rapidash and Golduck have useful attacks, the former giving you immunity from attack 50% of the time and the latter forcing the defending Pokémon to discard an energy card of your choice.

You need to mod your deck immediately and, for a while at least, grind some easy opponents for useful cards. With how much luck factors into the game, stacking the deck in your favour (so to speak) seems to be the most important thing you can do to influence the outcome.

Avoid depending too much on risky evolution chains and make sure at least some of your basic Pokémon are big damage sponges, ideally with good bang for buck in terms of attack and cheap retreat costs. From the NWR thread, people seem to recommend Chansey, Scyther, Electabuzz, Likitung, Kangaskhan, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan and Lapras.

As for others, I've found Articuno useful, as well as Gyarados, Rapidash and Golduck. Articuno and Gyarados are bruisers with huge HP pools (set them up on the bench if you can) whereas both Rapidash and Golduck have useful attacks, the former giving you immunity from attack 50% of the time and the latter forcing the defending Pokémon to discard an energy card of your choice.
These seem like good strats - but where do I go to farm these cards? The game literally gives no indicator as to where to start off. I went to the first club on the map after leaving the lab (naturally), but the card master said I had to challenge three of his apprentices first... but didn't tell me where they were. I naturally went to the grass club because I was rocking the Charmander deck, and got my ass handed to me.

Where is the next logical progression for me to go to get the necessary cards to take on some of these opponents without having to rely on pure RNG luck?

These seem like good strats - but where do I go to farm these cards? The game literally gives no indicator as to where to start off. I went to the first club on the map after leaving the lab (naturally), but the card master said I had to challenge three of his apprentices first... but didn't tell me where they were. I naturally went to the grass club because I was rocking the Charmander deck, and got my ass handed to me.

Where is the next logical progression for me to go to get the necessary cards to take on some of these opponents without having to rely on pure RNG luck?
Grind the lab assistants you see in Prof Whatsisname's lab. The guy you practice with will give you energy cards. The guy in the second room gives you (I think) packs with basic Pokémon in them. Just challenge those guys over and over a few times to build up more cards.

To cut out the grinding, you can wait until you beat someone, then make a save state when the victory fanfare plays,but before you hit any other button. Apparently the RNG that decides which cards you get rerolls the moment the field music starts again. This way, you can build up stocks of Bill, Prof Oak, Switch, Energy Search and Energy Removal quickly.

One tip I haven't seen much yet is that Dr. Mason will send you free packs with his emails, and there's one sent out for each gym that you visit, even if you don't clear it. You might need to complete a battle in each one, I'm not sure, but you can suck it up and then check the PC for some more free cards.

One tip I haven't seen much yet is that Dr. Mason will send you free packs with his emails, and there's one sent out for each gym that you visit, even if you don't clear it. You might need to complete a battle in each one, I'm not sure, but you can suck it up and then check the PC for some more free cards.
Mind blown. Time to go collect like eight free packs.

I didn't even bother checking the PC.

Ondore

Technically, you need two for a streak.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/39686/episode-418-by-the-throat
Episode 418 "By The Throat" said:
The streak is still dead, as Jon had to miss this week (and we missed him too), but we were very fortunate to get Josh Hillyer back on the show. You know, it's not everyday that we get to talk about a brand new Nintendo system, and the new New 3DS XL is the newest New system of all. Three of us got a new New one at launch, and we have plenty to say about the bizarre and awful New setup process, new Super Stable 3D, and that weird little New C-stick. Jonny also reports on the excellent 3D remake of Majora's Mask with a new New camera, and he provides an update on Moon Chronicles with true new twin-stick New controls. Next up, Josh revisits those paid StreetPass mini-games, now super-charged on a fast new New processor. James follows with a new game that works just fine on old 3DS systems, except you should definitely never play it on any system, because it's Pokemon Shuffle and is of the devil. Guillaume finally puts this segment to bed with the Floridian group-napping documentary game, Siesta Fiesta, and he tacks on Kirby Star Stacker because why not.

There's still one big Listener Mail topic that has to wait for Jon's return, but we have plenty more where that came from. (It came from the email address that we say every week.) We start with a question about the best period of gaming in our lives, and this bit of background on the "Golden Age Theory" might be helpful. We also investigate what kind of company would release DSiWare games in 2015, and why the hell. And then, whaddya know, what goes around comes around as we take a deep look into Nintendo's recent system names and other crimes against human communication perpetrated by branding consultants. Light up the inbox with your own question or topic for the show, especially if it's going to piss off James!

We may do RetroActive as soon as next week, so hurry up and post your comments for Pokemon: The Trading Card Game in our official forum thread, where you'll also find loads of helpful tips and detailed techniques that will make you realize that you have no idea what's going on in this game. Oh, and while you're entrenched in the link-clicking business, check out the game Josh Hillyer is working on for Wii U! It's called Neon the Ninja, and you can play it and meet Josh at PAX East in Boston.

Time: 2'21"46
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Yes, DSiWare still exists: So do Wii releases, but at least NIS America has an excuse.

Negator

Great episode guys! Josh is an excellent guest and really added to the show. Also got a lot of James flying off the handle, which is one of my favorite parts of the show!

I beat the Pokémon TGC last night (I saw the credits at least). Some thoughts:

I liked that losing a duel attracted no penalty. It meant that you could take a hard look at what went wrong, readjust your strategy and just try again. If you figure you should have won but got a bad draw, then it's a simple matter of talking to the opponent again.

I didn't like that cards could really only be gotten via random chance. There was no way to buy cards, very few people you could actually trade cards with, and no mechanism, apart from the main story, for earning specific cards. If ever Gamefreak decide to make a new game in this series, I'd expect a whole series of side quests to allow this very thing. Oh, and card-based mini games.

This dragged the game out needlessly, I feel. However, since this was the Gameboy and the game is quite short anyway, perhaps that was the point. That would certainly explain the hunt for the fighting gym master's pupils. Apart from the card art, the game felt cheaply made, with NPCs and some sprites recycled directly from Pokémon RGBY. I spotted Red's baseball cap wearing sprite more than once.

Still, I am glad I played this and am very much looking forward to the discussion on the show. I was a little too old for the game when it came out and it's nice to be a part of a conversation about a Pokémon game where the mechanics are completely new to me.

Tom_Cody

Great Listener Mail topics this week. You guys approached the very conventional question about "best period of gaming in your lives" from very interesting angles. I kind of want to make my own post on the topic but I don't know if I could really add anything beyond what you said.

I loled at the extended discussion about Nintendo's obsession with 'New' during the listener mail segment. I would also like to add Animal Crossing: 'New' Leaf to the tally.

Also, 'A Link Between Worlds' was at one time known as 'New Zelda':

Iwata Asks said:
Iwata: This game borrows the world of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but it's a completely new game.

Aonuma: Yes, that's right.

Iwata: The subtitle in Japanese is Triforce of the Gods 2, but it's a completely different game, so they aren't using the "2" overseas.

Aonuma: Overseas, the subtitle for the earlier game was A Link to the Past.

Iwata: Now it will be A Link Between Worlds.

Aonuma: Yes. This time instead of "linking" to the past, the setting of the new game takes place far in the future, and the story passes between the two worlds of Hyrule and Lorule.

Iwata: So that's why it's called A Link Between Worlds.

Aonuma: Right. In Japan, though, it didn't feel out of place to add a "2" to Triforce of the Gods, so we decided on that. Some of the staff, however, thought that would encourage people to think it is a remake.

Shikata: There was even talk of calling it 'The New Legend of Zelda' like there's 'New Super Mario'! (laughs)

Everyone: (laughs)

Hmm, I didn't see the snowball this time, but maybe I had already rolled into it before walking back over to the frozen elder.

My biggest problem with that section is how fast the hot spring water cools off. By the time you explore and find anything to be melted (including the wolf-guarded grotto with the second source of hot water), your water has probably gone cold. This forces multiple trips up the wall of invisible ladders, which is only cool the first time you see it. The shortcut tunnel up to the top only opens after you finish Snowhead, so that's no help either. I'm really surprised that this section of the game wasn't altered more for 3DS. I would hate the entire snow section of Majora if rolling around as Goron Link wasn't so much damn fun.

Tom_Cody

And that's why that game sucks.

Anyway, the Goron Elder is still under a snowball, Metts. That section is still terrible.
I haven't played the remake yet but I didn't have a problem with that section the first time around. The rolling mechanic was one of my favorite elements of the game, so I naturally stumbled upon the Elder while gleefully rolling into all the snowballs in that area.

I finally finished it.

I went into the game with equal parts optimism and curiosity. Pokémon has been one of my favorite series for over 15 years, and I had often heard this particular spinoff mentioned in the same tier as Snap and Pinball.

The very first impression I got from the game was that it felt like a fanmade romhack. Everything about the structure is aped directly from Red/Blue (and all subsequent mainline titles), but is executed with far less competency. The most glaring issue in this vein is the world itself.

Pokémon TCG has no coherent sense of place. The main character starts in a lab with a professor, because hey you guys, remember when the REAL games did that? Maybe instead of a professor who studies biological species (something that, ya know, actually makes sense) you can meet a professor of PRINTED PIECES OF PAPER!

And then, after you venture outside for the first time...

island.png

Where the hell are you? Why is there an island filled with people whose entire existence revolves around a subpar card game?

It makes no sense, and it's a very crude way of trying to give the game some sense of scope. It falls completely flat, of course, because while in the mainline games you venture down paths and roads and trails in between visiting homes and shops and gyms in proper towns, here you just move a cursor over an icon and hit A. It's a menu masquerading as a world, and it's bullshit.

The buildings themselves are awful, too. Almost all of them have the same layout... The square room that you enter, the square lounge to the left, and the square club leader room in front of you.

image20.jpg

This is the lounge. This particular one wouldn't be offensive on its own, but all eight lounges are practically identical. There are a few random NPCs who either spout painfully dull flavor text or offer you a shitty trade deal, a card playing table, and a counter with attendants behind it who you can't even speak to or interact with.

And why does the table exist in the lounges and in the hall where the final battle takes place, but nowhere else? Does your character just... sit on the floor when he duels everyone else?

If you look at the top of that picture, you'll see the mentally ill NPC Imakuni. Imakuni is apparently a real-ass dude who, i don't know, helped with something, and convinced Hudson to make him a character in the game. If he's supposed to come across as charming or quirky, he doesn't - he seems mentally unwell and almost predatory in how he scampers around an island in a weird costume where 80% of the inhabitants are children.

At least the club master rooms themselves have some variety in decor and themes, though their still a far cry from any proper gym.

Running down the list of clubs is pretty standard. There's the Fire Club, the Water Club, the Psychic Club, the Science Club, the Figh... what, what the hell. The Science Club?

This was so baffling to me that I did some research to figure out what the deal was. Apparently there are only 7 elemental types in the game, and Hudson didn't want to theme a club around "colorless". Their brilliant solution was the Science Club, which is a counterpart to the Grass Club (in that decks are themed around Grass types) except - get this - the Grass Club is girls only and the Science Club is boys only. You know, because silly girls can't do science and that was a fine view to have all the way back in 1998.

The pacing of this game is terrible. The tutorial at the very beginning does a poor job of explaining how crucial it is to amass different types of cards early on to restructure your deck. I'm familiar with TCGs - I've played Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh! and Hearthstone - but I figured I would get some prompt later on to start tinkering with custom decks, so I tried sticking with the starter one I chose for a while. After getting curbstomped several times, I did some online digging and quickly farmed the proper cards to make a Haymaker deck.

From there, I save-scummed before every match and reloaded my restore point if I got a bad hand draw. The game was a breeze after that. My complaints with that playstyle are totally on me (since I'm the one who was gaming the system), but the proper way is just so damn painful. The RNG is a monster in this game, and there's no forfeit option while you're in a match. My playtime easily would have doubled if I had played through every single match in the game, from beginning to end, without reloading to compensate for bad draws or matches where it was clear halfway through that I had no chance of winning.

I can't fault the game for the mechanics of the TCG though, because Hudson of course had nothing to do with how the card game itself plays. But since that is the ONLY mechanic, and there is nothing else around supporting it, the title feels incredibly thin. There isn't even a freaking shop to, you know, buy cards. You get packs of cards after every match you win, of course, but the contents are all randomized and it's hard to know what type of pack you'll even get before you challenge an opponent.

After defeating the four grand masters and the champion, you then inherit the legendary cards. And the legendary cards talk to you. This goes back to my first point - what the hell kind of world is this? The cards talk to you, but it seems pretty clear you are in something akin to the real world, and NOT the pokemon world. If pokemon actually existed in the Pokemon TCG universe, people would be capturing and battling the real thing instead of the card knockoff.

All of that being said, I'm still very glad I played the game. I was curious about it, and now I know. And as a huge pokemon fan, the Science Club and Imakuni alone were both novel enough from a trivia perspective to justify my playthrough. The game has some good music too, particularly the awesome Grandmaster's Theme.

The funny thing is, I know I would have adored this game when it came out. I loved collecting the cards in real life, and I would have gladly devoted an entire summer to building an awesome deck and going about dominating the island's inhabitants the legitimate way. In that sense, I can absolutely see how people who grew up with the game look back on it fondly. That will never be me though, and I'm pretty confident in saying I will never boot this game up again.

Anyway, this was my first time being able to participate in a retroactive, and I'm very excited to hear the upcoming discussion!

I love your enthusiasm! We could just read your post and call that the entire feature, haha. But I'll definitely make sure your voice is represented on the show.

By the way, we are doing RetroActive NEXT WEEK -- to give Jon and Gui more time, as they've been busy playing some hot new releases for tonight's recording. I bet you can guess what those are.

To me, the game felt half-finished, as though they successfully implemented the card game itself but failed to do anything more with it before it had to be shipped. There were the germs of ideas there - trading, side quests and an actual story / sense of progression, but they just hang out there as a remnant of what might have been.

In they way it was implemented, they might have actually emulated the real life experience of playing this game on the playground and the frustration of building up a viable deck via booster packs. The experience of basically getting creamed by everyone you face right up until you have a proper deck in place (at which point you start beating everybody) is probably right on the money too.

I too was creeped out by that Inukami guy. I thought he might have been a Japanese comedian from that time or whatever, but it turns out he was just a person insert like Tingle was in Majora's Mask.

I love your enthusiasm! We could just read your post and call that the entire feature, haha. But I'll definitely make sure your voice is represented on the show.

By the way, we are doing RetroActive NEXT WEEK -- to give Jon and Gui more time, as they've been busy playing some hot new releases for tonight's recording. I bet you can guess what those are.
*Thumbs up*

I think next week is the sweet spot anyway as far as length from announcement to discussion for a retroactive goes, especially for this one, since the retroactive was announced in the throes of two of the biggest games of the year (Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter) for the system that most people would be playing this on. I knew it took a helluva lot of restraint on my part to move my cursor away form the beautiful MM icon over to the GB VC icon when I was doing my playthrough.

Also, Monster Hunter discussion for this upcoming episode?? Hype! The Bombcast sure isn't giving it any love since Jason isn't a regular, and you guys are the only other gaming cast worthy of being in my rotation.

I too was creeped out by that Inukami guy. I thought he might have been a Japanese comedian from that time or whatever, but it turns out he was just a person insert like Tingle was in Majora's Mask.
What the hell -- what?! Tingle is based on a real person? I've loved Majora's Mask since the year it came out, and have visited gaming website almost every damn day since 2006... how on Mephisto's scorched earth did I miss THAT nugget of info?

mrkgoo

*Thumbs up*

I think next week is the sweet spot anyway as far as length from announcement to discussion for a retroactive goes, especially for this one, since the retroactive was announced in the throes of two of the biggest games of the year (Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter) for the system that most people would be playing this on. I knew it took a helluva lot of restraint on my part to move my cursor away form the beautiful MM icon over to the GB VC icon when I was doing my playthrough.

Also, Monster Hunter discussion for this upcoming episode?? Hype! The Bombcast sure isn't giving it any love since Jason isn't a regular, and you guys are the only other gaming cast worthy of being in my rotation.

What the hell -- what?! Tingle is based on a real person? I've loved Majora's Mask since the year it came out, and have visited gaming website almost every damn day since 2006... how on Mephisto's scorched earth did I miss THAT nugget of info?

Isn't tingle shigeru miyamoto?

Isn't tingle shigeru miyamoto?
turn down for
whaaaaaaaaaaat??

You know... this is all too absurd. I'm going to forget all about this little indiscretion until I see some links.

Also, I just got to the break point in the most recent RFN... James is spitting some goddam hot fire. This is him at his best - fired up for god knows why, interjecting with biting comments that are sizzling with high-energy snark.

I've also matured enough as a human being to keep refining the sophistications of my tastes... and to that end, the "Now Playing" segment is one of my favorite pieces of each episode. Not only is the choice of the Hanafuda theme as background music simply inspired, but the comedy has recently reached Giantbomb Ads level of entertainment.

I'm not sure if it just takes this long to develop such a robust love and appreciation for a podcast (though many of my other weekly mainstays point to the answer being "yes"), but RFN is now officially one of only three in the myriad of podcasts I listen to that I'm convinced I'll listen to until either I die or the 'cast quits.

All four of you put out such a sterling product every damn week, for free, without any form of monetary recompense. It's just such an excellent public service for all of us here in this thread and beyond, and I hope none of you are close to burning out or hanging your hats. I certainly don't want to experience another Greg Lahey moment with any of the crew (even though I experienced that particular event... retroactively. Hah!)

I can imagine RFN is a thankless job from time to time, but I hope you four know how much we all really appreciate it every week!

Thank you so much for writing that. We are fortunate in that a huge percentage of our listeners have interacted with us in some way over the years, and of course it motivates us to keep going and keep getting better. We want to make the best show possible for you.

With that said... I think this next one is going to be extra popular. It's got a hot set of game impressions, and Listener Mail runs the gamut from extremely substantive (like 30+ minutes on a single topic) to completely goofy.

Decided to check this podcast out. Absolutely loving it. Great mix of personalities and the discussion on games and nostalgia was fun to hear. Definitely going to subscribe to this one.

matm666

You should listen to 8-4 play podcast, the lastest one has discussion on MH4 they worked on the localization they really like MH. And IMO is a better podcast than the GiantBomb

Ondore

Lindy is the one in 21-1.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/39722/episode-419-lincoln-loggo
Episode 419 "Lincoln Loggo" said:
Hooray, Jon Lindemann is back, and he's got a lot to say! But first, we've got your New Business, and it's a great crop of games this week. Gui opens with Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, which leads to a long dissection of the game's co-op multiplayer. That gives Jon time to prepare for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, which he thinks is by far the best game to introduce new players to this uninviting series. James continues his Sony adventures with the Zelda-inspired Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, while Jonny finally gets to blast through Star Fox 64 3D (thanks, Club Nintendo!).

In the Listener Mail segment, we finally get to open up the completionist topic, AND WE AREN'T STOPPING UNTIL IT'S 100% FINISHED. We also pick out the best Donkey Kong Country/Land games from the recent Virtual Console dumping, and we consider the resurgence of Abraham Lincoln as a video game hero. (So, real talk, there's no way we could cover every angle of the first discussion, and we would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for how to revisit the topic. Please send in your feedback on completing games or anything else from the world of video games!)

RetroActive is officially on for next episode, and by the time you read this, there's only a couple of days at most to get in your thoughts about Pokemon: The Trading Card Game. Hit up that official forum thread ASAP if you want a chance to be heard on the podcast! Oh hey, and you might also want to hear Jonny talk about movies or music with cool people on Crosstawk's Box Office Poison or Discover Music Project, respectively.

Time: 2'24'31
Rainbow Curse: Too long to be completionist with.

Tom_Cody

It was interesting to hear the Monster Hunter talk. MH4U is my first Monster Hunter title, but I feel like I'm already more invested in it than anyone on the crew.

My advice if you're thinking about getting into it game/series:

-This series of videos by ProJared does a good job of explaining what the game is and the core appeal of it. These were very useful to me when I first started looking into the series a few months ago, but this might not be relevant if you have already tried other installments of the game. Still, they serve as a useful primer.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO7ChEvlE6fd-IXgergMpFIpudooNepeP

-The MH4U demo is excellent. It's like an expanded version of the weapon tutorial quests Jon discussed. You have access to a pretty decent version of every weapon type and you are able to jump right into simplified hunts for three different monsters. I spent ten full hours on the demo getting used to the controls and trying different weapons before I settled on the Bow (the Great Sword was my runner up).

-Once you get a basic feel for one or more of the weapons, I would strongly recommend checking out Gaijin Hunter's weapon tutorial videos. In 10-15 minutes they show the basic controls, advanced techniques, and most importantly they explain what is fun about each of the weapons. The combat system in this series is not intuitive so these will serve you well to get to the next level of combat past what is presented to you in the in-game tutorials. These videos are truly excellent and they are considered essentially definitive. Both Capcom and Nintendo have linked to them on their twitter feeds.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDR3ta7VqKrwAHPSAudDagumWffFyHK6g

OMG Aero

It's funny how the Donkey Kong email came up after the 100% discussion (particularly with what Jonny said about not getting the Kong letters in Tropical Freeze) because in the first Donkey Kong Land the only way to save the game was to collect all the Kong letters in a level then you are given an option to save at the end of the level.
Granted that's fixed on the Virtual Console because of save states, but back on the Gameboy you were basically forced to 100% a level when you wanted to stop playing the game otherwise you would lose any progress you had made when you turned the game off.

Crimm

in the first Donkey Kong Land the only way to save the game was to collect all the Kong letters in a level then you are given an option to save at the end of the level.

WELL THEN...does that classify it as edutainment? I mean the Learn to Spell bit is a bid tenuous - it's just the non-word KONG, but it is an example of tedious, letter-based, objectives, and THAT is a hallmark of the genre.

Zornica

Banned
you guessed correctly John, the old guy who multiplies your items is indeed this games version of the farm.
btw: even though you might be a great sword veteran, you may wanna try the gs-tutorial, as it got a few enhancements with mh4. apparently there are a lot of new moves and actions you can perform now

speaking of humor... I'm not sure if you made it to "cat-island" yet Gui, but the "adventure-mini game" should be right up your alley humor-wise. I always found it to be charming as hell, especially the animation when they encounter zamtrios.

silks

you guessed correctly John, the old guy who multiplies your items is indeed this games version of the farm.
btw: even though you might be a great sword veteran, you may wanna try the gs-tutorial, as it got a few enhancements with mh4. apparently there are a lot of new moves and actions you can perform now

Interesting! I'll check out the tutorial then.

By the way, notice that even when I missed episodes, I missed two in a row. So even when I'm not streaking...I'm streaking.

Awwwww yeaaahh.

Zornica

Banned
Interesting! I'll check out the tutorial then.

By the way, notice that even when I missed episodes, I missed two in a row. So even when I'm not streaking...I'm streaking.

Awwwww yeaaahh.

correction: there should be a few new moves, but you probably wont find them within in the tutorials... I guess trial and error should do the trick though.

btw: I don't know about your schedule, but I wouldn't mind a few hunts with you and gui online some time.

entremet

Good discussion on being a completionist in games and its drawbacks.

I still have those tendencies, but much much less time as adult.

Negator

Sometimes all you have to do to break out of that is just know how long it takes to 100% something.

I once had this crazy idea to platinum Star Ocean 4. Once I found out it takes 900+ hours I was just like LOLOL fuck that.

PaulBizkit

Been catching up on pokemom tcg for this week's RetroActive. Can't wait!

Noob question ahead: What's the e-mail address for the show?

Ondore

Doing this mobile... Protip: Never move. Also, something something children's card game.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/39812/episode-420-professor-of-printed-pieces-of-paper
Episode 420: Professor of Printed Pieces of Paper said:
We're very excited to finally bring back RetroActive, but first we do New Business, and there's not much rhyme or reason to this week's set of games. As usual of late, Guillaume has the most on-topic material, so he goes first with a wrap-up on Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. He also goes back to Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary, the free multiplayer game released twice-upon-a-time for DSi and 3DS, maybe never to return. James "PlayStation" Jones shows up with something crazy called Soul Nomad, an obscure old PS2 strategy game from NIS that bears some resemblance to Ogre Battle. It sure sounds like a James game. Jonny talks about buying a new TV, a process that has changed a lot in the last six years, and he offers some thoughts on Titan Attacks. If you haven't already played it for free through PS Plus, it's worth checking out this retro-styled "shmup" on the 3DS eShop. Finally, Mr. Jon tries the free part of IronFall Invasion, that third-person shooter for 3DS that snuck out last week.

After a quick break, it's high time for a RetroActive! We've all been playing Pokemon: The Trading Card Game, learning the rules and basic strategies -- with or without the video game's help. This is a complicated package with several key points of reference, including the real card game, the mainline Pokemon RPGs, and of course... Magic: The Gathering. We sort through the sprawling discussion with help from many verbose listeners who played along and entered their comments in the official thread or on NeoGAF. Thanks so much to everyone who participated, and we promise it won't be too long before the next one!

We'll try to answer some Listener Mail on the next episode, so please send in whatever's on your mind!

Time: Forthcoming
Titan Attacks: But misses because the enemy's Flying-type

Symtendo

Do you guys plan on revisiting Majora's Mask at some point? I'd love to hear some more thoughts on what is slowly becoming my favourite Zelda game.

GuillaumeNWR

Neo Member
We did a live Retroactive game club about Majora's Mask, it's in episode 323.

Jonny and James talked about the 3DS update in 418.

If you mean "will we all replay it and discuss it", no, though it's possible it will come up if any one of us chooses to make it his New Business.

Symtendo

We did a live Retroactive game club about Majora's Mask, it's in episode 323.

Jonny and James talked about the 3DS update in 418.

If you mean "will we all replay it and discuss it", no, though it's possible it will come up if any one of us chooses to make it his New Business.

Excellent, forgot about that one. I forget sometimes that with Me having not played the game all the way through before that people first experienced this many years ago. I am assuming the retroactive is full of spoilers so might save that for when I'm done.

Top Bottom