• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

Ondore

92.jpg

Radio Free Nintendo began in 2006 as the official podcast of Planet Gamecube (now Nintendo World Report) and originally hosted by Mike Sklens and Evan Burchfield, later joined by Karl Castaneda and Jonathan Metts. In 2008, the podcast launched its "second season" under the direction of Metts, Greg Leahy, James Jones and Jon Lindemann and continued to refine its style into the best podcast you're probably not listening to.

Although it is a 4 guys over Skype podcast, the audio quality is amazing thanks to the 16-hour weekends of Greg and Guillaume. It's also one of the few gaming podcasts that uses the .aac format if getting it through iTunes, which means chapter art and (most importantly) easy skipping to particular segments.

The typical show will have at least of these segments:
New Business - Discussion of new games being played by the hosts. All major Nintendo releases are mentioned, as well as major releases on other consoles.

Now Playing - Quick rundown of NWR content. Or, random rap music.

Feature Discussion - A longer analysis of a major news story in gaming or a look back at a particular genre/system. Examples of the former include the Gaming Bucket List, the N64 at 15, the best of the SNES and Operation Rainfall.

Retroactive - The hosts and members of the NintendoWorldReport forums vote on and play through a game of Nintendo's past - or Sega/Hudson's, if it was released on Virtual Console. These discussions are long, informative, and usually end up coalescing around RPGs if given the option. This feature began in 2009.

The list of games previously discussed:
Dynamite Headdy (episode 131)
Luigi's Mansion (133/134)
Eternal Darkness (137)
Secret of Mana (140/141)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts (144/145)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (148/149)
Ninja Spirit (153)
Super Mario World (158/159)
Geist (163/165)
Shining Force (169)
Super Mario RPG (184)
Metroid II: Return of Samus (193)
Mother 3 (203/205)
Yoshi's Story (215)
The World Ends With You (221/224)
Ogre Battle 64 (230/232)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja (239)
Perfect Dark (245/248)
Killer 7 (256)
River City Ransom (266)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (278)
MotoHeroz (289)
Wario Land 4 (303)
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (309)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (323)
Ys Book I&II (330 / 332)
Mega Man 3 (336)
Pandora's Tower (349 / 352)
Goldeneye 007 (Wii) (381)
Pokemon Trading Card Game (420)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (431)
Blaster Master (439)

(There are also retrospective episodes for Ocarina of Time (non-numbered, available here) and Super Metroid (142, available here) but these fall outside of the Retroactive banner.)

Listener Mail - When in doubt, let the listeners decide your topics. These can range from "What game would you recommend" to "What's every Nintendo development studio doing" and everything in between. Even when questions about the perceived self-loathing and hatred of Nintendo by fans and media respectively comes up, it's handled with a quiet dignity and understanding of the situation.

---

THE HOSTS
James Jones (GAF: Crimm / @NWR_James)
- NWR reviewer and man about town, former podcast editor
- Turns the snark up to about 14 for the podcast, is the curmudgeon despite being the youngest of the regular 4
- Plays a lot of RPGs, on both sides of the West/East debate
- Most likely to declare someone wrong by default
- Dislikes: Everything. But especially rougelikes, King of Clubs, and competitive Smash.

Jon Lindemann (GAF: silks / @MrDiamondJ)
- NWR Director Emeritus (served as director from 2009 - 2011)
- More likely to play a shooter of the "dudebro" variety
- Expatriate Canadian, living in California by way of Boston
- Has an immense pile of games that are not only unplayed but unopened, frequently special editions. Led to the declaration of "Lindemann Syndrome" on a podcast late in 2010
- Likes: Busting James's balls, rapping, cat helmets, NHL '94
- Dislikes: Zelda II ("it can eat a dick")

Guillaume Veillette (GAF: GuillaumeNWR / @GuillaumeNWR)
- Editor from May 2012 onwards
- Previous experience hosting the NegativeWorld podcast
- Born and raised in Montreal, Canada and taught himself English with assistance of Final Fantasy Legend II and a French-English dictionary
- Likes: Platformers, retro games, poutine with bacon and onions
- Dislikes: US lockout on preorders, bad audio, Majora's Mask

Greg Leahy (Too many Twitters to list)
- Podcast editor 2009-2012, former NWR reviewer
- Despite being in the UK, prefers his football American style - specifically, the Buffalo Bills (the poor guy)
- Has access to a Japanese Wii and frequently imports, as well as providing a look as to what's on the Japanese Virtual Console on occasion
- Has no less than 5 Twitter accounts vying for supremacy, although none are legit
- Likes: Shooters of the R-Type/Treasure varieties, platformers
- Dislikes: Bill Belicheck, bad audio

Host Emeritus:
Dr. Jonathan Metts (GAF: Jonnyboy117 / @jonnymetts)
- Longtime Planet Gamecube site director/reviewer. Officially current site historian.
- Yes, he has a doctorate. No, he's not that kind of doctor (he's an aerospace engineer when he's not podcasting)
- Has all platforms in addition to his Nintendo hardware
- Dislikes: Super Ghouls and Ghosts ("This game can go f**k itself")

Frequent guest hosts:
- Michael "TYP" Cole - Host of Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition, most common fill-in, impression of Wario is frighteningly accurate
- Billy "Plan B" Berghammer - Founder of Planet N2000 -> Planet Gamecube -> NWR, now an employee of the Treehouse.
- Karl Castaneda - Former host of both RFN and Nintendo Pirate Radio, has to defend Killer 7 frequently, largely responsible for the infamous Episode 103 (see below)

---

RFN LIVE
It takes a rare event to get RFN off of Skype - but when they do, Penny Arcade is involved. A much-beloved tradition of PAX East, the yearly RFN live panels provide interesting conversation and live Listener Mail.

Audio downloads:
2010 - http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/22823
2011 - http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/25684
2012 - http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/29760
2013 - http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/33637/rfn-live-panel-at-pax-east-2013

The show also has an annual tradition of hosting a live podcast telethon with the funds going to Child's Play. Big names come out - 2011's featuring appearances from Jeff Cannata, Mark MacDonald and our own sprsk. And a few hours in, bombs start dropping - like when it was revealed that Battlefield was going to be a Gamecube game.

2010 - GAF thread | Telethon Recordings
2011 - GAF thread | Telethon Recordings
2012 - GAF thread | Telethon Recordings
2013 - GAF thread | Telethon Recordings
2014 - Telethon Recordings

---

WILDEST MOMENTS
Every podcast has its moments that live in (in)famy, and RFN is no exception.
Season 2 (80 - 292)
84: Intervention - Come for the discussion of the Power Glove. Stay for Jonny's Magic obsession.
97: Reimagining RFN - When Mario Kart Wii's online goes horribly awry with a little help from BJ. Also, James v. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
99: Beware Our Man Beams - With that title, you would think Cho Aniki. You would be right.
103: James Jones, Box Hunter - What happens when Jonny misses an episode? Well, the show goes off the rails inside of 5 minutes and stays off for the rest of a 2 and a half hour show. Not even the downloads are immune. It's so crazy that Jonny has to issue corrections in the next episode.
112: Afterglow - James. King of Clubs. That's all you need to know.
126: Force of Nature - The wild reimagining of Disaster: Day of Crisis. See, if Nintendo brought this version out in North America, it'd have cleared 10 million.
139: On the 859th Day, He Rested - The first post-GDC '09 episode features a religious revival in the first two minutes. Not making this up. Also, the joys of PAL gaming and the fastest return in RFN history.
181: March of the Muscles - Someone on the message board gifts the North American hosts Muscle March. Hilarity ensues.
Special: The Drunkcast - After the RFN panel at PAX East 2010, most of the hosts got drunk and turned on a recording device. This is the story. Spoilers: Something gets lit on fire.
226: In The Flesh - Instead of Now Playing for the first week of January... we get a rendition of Regulate, starring Jon Lindemann as Warren G and Jonathan Metts as Nate Dogg.
248: Perfect Agent Greganna - Greg's Oscar-winning impersonation of Joanna Dark.
287: Demolition Sherpa - "So I see you've selected Demolition Man..."
291: Good Night, Sweet Prince - Greg's farewell episode, beware of manly tears.

Season 3 (292 - 400)
362: The Day The Music Died - Just because it's a Nintendo podcast doesn't mean it's not realistic. In the wake of the November 2013 NPDs, a long, hard look at how bad the Wii U has it.
371: Ghost Commander - Hot off Weekend Confirmed, Garnett Lee appears. Awesomeness ensued.
372: Mystic Quest Is (Not) Okay - Some nutjob talks about Danganronpa, a live Twitch Plays Pokemon report, and James v Mystic Quest.
373: Death of a Soft Salesman - Billy Berghammer and RFN v Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

Season 4 (401 - 439)
407: Gullaume 'n Watch - Recorded live in the middle of a series of Smash Bros matches on Wii U.
414: Glitter Glory - Chris Kohler crashes the annual predictions show, but the big story? Glitter Metroid.
422: Alien Movement - The reaction episode to Nintendo and DeNA.
438: Spiritual Predecessor - James lays the smack down on a businessman (not a creator) and Jonny announces his farewell.
439: Grapple Dem Tears - Jonny says goodbye. For 3 hours.

You may also want to grab these milestone episodes:
100 (the early days of RFN, 3.5 hours)
150 (best of the first 150 mixed into a discussion of RFN history)
200 (massive DS retrospective)
250 (behind-the-scenes tales and a massive call-in segment.)
300 (Wii retrospective, 5+ hours)
350 (Includes a long set of tales from the editing room while Jonny's caught in a flash flood)
400 (Recorded live in Colorado. 3+ hours, lots of games.

---

SISTER SHOWS
The Famicast - Special bonus content on the RFN feeds, as NWR's Japanese correspondents bring knowledge on Nintendo and life in Japan.

Connectivity - Formerly known as the Newscast before a late 2011 reboot, covers news of the week and more featured topic discussion. Also known to randomly break into Jeopardy games on little provocation - such as in their 2012 PAX East panel.

Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition - For most of the early 2000s, a regular site feature of Planet Gamecube was Radio Trivia, in which site staff would play a few songs from a Nintendo game and challenge you to guess the game. In 2006, a podcast was kicked off that, like clockwork, discusses 5 games per episode. No prizes, but enlightening discussion of game music both classic and modern.

Box Office Poison - Four former RFN hosts (Jonny, Mike Sklens, Stan Ferguson and Karl Castenada) along with friend Jonathan Rind discuss films both quality and otherwise. For an example of the former .there's Contact and for the latter, well, they've talked about the Super Mario Bros movie and Caligula.

---

OTHER LINKS
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn - RFN main page
feed://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcast/mp3feed.xml - MP3 feed
feed://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcast/feed.xml - AAC feed
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=156274672 - iTunes
http://www.facebook.com/RadioFreeNintendo - RFN Facebook page
http://www.twitter.com/Nintendo_NWR - NWR Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rfnpodcast - RFN's official Twitter
http://ninwr.spreadshirt.com/ - The Radio Free Nintendo T-Shirt

HylianTom

Banned
Never listened to this before.

I have lots of time at work to listen, so (as soon as I'm done with my current playlist in a few months) I might start from the beginning and listen in the buildup to Launch Day. Sounds very promising.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well, I'll give it a shot. My hang-up is that I like Nintendo products but hate Nintendo fans.

Is it hate or apathy?

It's just different type of podcast. It's hard to describe. I mean it's the same type of stuff every other gaming podcast we normally listen to has, but this is different. Not sure if it's because it's a fan site, it's not tied to a this is my job site, it's kept a stable cast, it's a skype thing, or just the personalities in general. While it's not remotely the same the only podcast that comes to mind would be Retronauts in a weird roundabout way.

PS: There are backlogs, BACKLOGS, BACKLOGS, and then well there's Lindemann.

Radio Free Nintendo is hands down the best podcast for anyone interested in Nintendo games.

So indepth and professional while retaining the ability to be funny.

I can't give a high recommendation for a gaming podcast.

Great thread. Best podcast out there. The guys on the show are well-versed in all games (not just Nintendo), talk about everything, actually have good analysis and critiques of Nintendo (not just 'dooooooooomed' like everywhere else), and are just generally enthusiastic about gaming. Puts the podcasts from the more 'professional' sites to shame. I became very burnt out on other podcasts and their apathy/distaste/ignorance of Nintendo and this one saved me.

Well worth a listen if you like Nintendo even the least bit. Definitely subscribing, let's get this thread going!

Great OP.

zroid

Banned
Great OP! As I said in that other thread, I will most definitely be adding this to my regular podcast-listening schedule, which is already getting much too large.

I'll add my endorsement to RFN.

Even if the hosts of the other major podcasts weren't so dismissive and plain-old ignorant of Nintendo games generally, this one would still stand head and shoulders above the rest. I've had this scenario play out a few times:

- Playing a big new release on the DS or 3DS (occasionally the Wii, but I'm usually LttP on console games) or hear about big news pertaining to Nintendo systems and listen to podcasts hoping to hear it discussed.

- It usually gets ignored outright, but when it does get discussed, it's barely a two-minute discussion and the hosts don't even know what they're talking about, saying things that are factually wrong or just giving shallow, throwaway comments.

- I sigh, resigned to the fact that I'm in a tiny niche inasfar as the gaming media goes and stop listening to the podcast right around the time they spend a whole episode talking about some shooter I care little and less about.​

Seriously, I've tried out a bunch of gaming podcasts and this is the only one I still listen to every week (though that's partly a function of just how long they've been around). Also, it's by far the best Nintendo-related podcast by a good country mile and probably the best "single company centric" podcast around.

HylianTom

Banned
Even if the hosts of the other major podcasts weren't so dismissive and plain-old ignorant of Nintendo games generally, this one would still stand head and shoulders above the rest. I've had this scenario play out a few times:

- Playing a big new release on the DS or 3DS (occasionally the Wii, but I'm usually LttP on console games) or hear about big news pertaining to Nintendo systems and listen to podcasts hoping to hear it discussed.

- It usually gets ignored outright, but when it does get discussed, it's barely a two-minute discussion and the hosts don't even know what they're talking about, saying things that are factually wrong or just giving shallow, throwaway comments.

- I sigh, resigned to the fact that I'm in a tiny niche inasfar as the gaming media goes and stop listening to the podcast right around the time they spend a whole episode talking about some shooter I care little and less about.​

My god did you ever nail it.

I wondered for a long time if I was alone in sensing this. This topic (and the one that spurred it) have been a breath of fresh air.

(edit: I didn't thank Ondore earlier for this OP - Thank you much!)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is a good podcast. In some ways they seem more professional than a lot of the bigger sites. Their analysis is thoughtful.

Considering it's Nintendo focused, they often branch out into other non-Nintendo gaming offerings, and they're quite a well rounded bunch.

nron10

Neo Member
RFN is also doing a panel at PAX East this year for the third year in a row (Saturday at 11:30 AM in the Arachnid Theatre).

There's also three other podcasts (varying in regularity) at Nintendo World Report.

Connectivity - Used to be NWR Newscast, but evolved into a segment-based show featuring other staffers from NWR. Has done several Jeopardy-styled segments, and will be hosting a Jeopardy Live panel at PAX East (Friday at 10 AM in the Arachnid Theatre)

Radio Trivia - Used to be a live radio trivia contest, but now longtime PGC/NWR writer and game music aficionado Michael "TYP" Cole hosts a semi-regular podcast showcasing several games each show. You can play along. It's fun.

Famicast - NWR's Japanese contingent talks about Japan stuff, ranging from games to culture.

Mistle

Going to try this out. I've never really gotten into other popular podcasts as they rarely talk about Nintendo, and when they do, it's usually not nice.

Zornica

Banned
I know the exact feeling.

It's rare enough for general gaming podcasts to talk extensively about Nintendo console games, but Nintendo handheld games? It just doesn't happen.

RFN and 8-4 Play are really the only places I can turn to.

well it does happen, if the game is called zelda or mario... but as soon as you start talking about a minor 1st party game (like xenoblade, which hast been ignored since its announcment, and was quickly forgotten after it got good marks everywhere - I still wonder why it doesn't get the attention it deserves, while "hd" "rpgs" by bioware, bethesda and others get hyped beyond believe) or any 3rd party game (I'm not talking about "hyped" stuff like no more heroes or madworld, I'm talking more like Little Kings Story or Fragile) on a nintendo plattform in a typical forum you feel like you are living on a different planet.

Penguin

well it does happen, if the game is called zelda or mario... but as soon as you start talking about a minor 1st party game (like xenoblade, which hast been ignored since its announcment, and was quickly forgotten after it got good marks everywhere - I still wonder why it doesn't get the attention it deserves, while "hd" "rpgs" by bioware, bethesda and others get hyped beyond believe) or any 3rd party game (I'm not talking about "hyped" stuff like no more heroes or madworld, I'm talking more like Little Kings Story or Fragile) on a nintendo plattform in a typical forum you feel like you are living on a different planet.

To be fair, Xenoblade isn't out here yet so assume going to wait.

But I do agree with you on the rest, I remember wanting more impressions of No More Heroes, Madworld and The Conduit as they were coming out.

At best, someone would play it a few weeks later and mention in passing.

But guess also picks to how niche a lot of the major software on the Wii was.

Zornica

Banned
regarding xenoblade I was mainly talking about europe. It was rated high (some even called it the rebirth of the genre), but never mentioned again. since ~2006 I read dozens of columns about the downfall of rpgs and how jrpgs are sentenced to die because they weren't able to reinvent themselves. There were many pretty niche titles noone knows until finally 2010 Xenoblade came along, and noone gave a shit. A few days ago, XIII-2 came out, and with it, the "jrpg's will die" attitude came along. There was no mention of XB to be found, even though it was released here half a year ago. It simply doesn't seem to exist. So what makes it a niche title? No mentioning in the gaming press, that's what.

I could rant for hours about that stuff... but maybe it's better if I just stop here.

plufim

RFN is absolutely the best gaming podcast around. And yes, its nice to have someone cover Nintendo accurately - it doesn't have to be gushing positive coverage, just accurate. The major gaming podcasts just don't bother to keep up to date, most likely as they feel their audience don't care.

Also, it cannot be stressed just how professionally presented this podcast is. Very well edited, with chapters and chapter art. Greg has often mentioned he typically spends 8 hours editing a single episode.

As an aside, I have recently realized I too suffer from "Lindemann Syndrome". I think we need a support group.

Connectivity started off a bit rough, but it is getting better.

re: the multiple Greg accounts, I'm pretty sure none of them are real (maybe one is?), they encouraged the listeners to create fake ones a few months ago.

I love this podcast and listen to it every week. It's refreshing to listen to one where Nintendo is treated like the major player that they are in the industry.

Gomu Gomu

Awesome OP. Loved the podcast, but somehow I missed the last 20 episodes. Reading about it in this thread reminded me why I loved it. Also an OT for the podcast is going to be great for discussions. I guess I'm back on the wagon.

Also, it cannot be stressed just how professionally presented this podcast is. Very well edited, with chapters and chapter art. Greg has often mentioned he typically spends 8 hours editing a single episode.

YES, Absolutely this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Def gonna give this a look in. Recently started listening to 8-4 and loved it, Not big on the Bombcast tbh.

Just totally different types of podcasts when you compare say Bombcast verses 8-4 or RFN. I can see how one might appeal to some audiences and the others might appeal to something different.

On a side note, I can confirm Lindemann was playing Oblivion on Xbox 360 at about 1 a.m. EST.

OMFG?!?!?! For REALZ? I wonder which of his multiple copies he opene?!?! LOL

Ultima_5

Used to listen to this back in the day. I remember episode 103 haha. Highly recommend it, though I haven't listened in for the last few years.

LayLa

used to listen to this, but over time grew to dislike one of the hosts too much
someone (Tiny Cartridge?) should do a dedicated handheld gaming podcast

As the co-creator of this podcast (I'm Mike), I just wanted to say thanks for making this thread and to all the people that still listen to our stupid show. You guys rule. I feel like a proud father.

Also, if you guys like RFN you should check out our other show, Connectivity, which I am currently a panelist on. We break it up into random segments but there is usually a discussion of recent news (as the show used to be the Newscast) and then usually a segment on a game a few of us are currently playing, and we usually play video game jeopardy once a month. Good times are had by all.

Thanks to Ondore for a fantastic OP! That list of notable episodes could be very useful. By the way, the Ocarina of Time episode is what inspired RetroActive. And for the record, my favorite RetroActive editions are Eternal Darkness and Geist -- we even had the game's producer on for the latter, which led to some fascinating behind-the-scenes stories.

New episode should be going up in a few hours, by the way. ;-) I would love if people discussed it here, a la Weekend Confirmed.

I hope all our new listeners will come see us at PAX East for our third annual panel. We are usually the only Nintendo-themed panel, but this year our sister show, Connectivity, is also doing a live version of their Nintendo Jeopardy competition.

Penguin

Funny, heard of this podcast before but avoided it because didn't really want a single company podcast.

But just listening to some random ones, they talk about retro games, they talk about PC and HD twins games as well. While keeping a focus on Nintendo news, which is nice.

zroid

Banned
I just downloaded the Super Mario RPG episode -- excited to listen, it's quite possibly my favourite game ever.

SmithnCo

One of my favorite gaming podcasts, glad to see it finally got a thread.

lol at Greg's "too many twitters to list."

Top Bottom