• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

XCel1Vu.png

"Just when they think they got the answers, I change the questions."

It's a Rowdy Piper quote, yes. But it's an analogy that works for Radiohead too. Just when you you think you know what they're going to do next with the next thing they work on, they change the game in what to expect from this incredible band. Just look at what came next from OK Computer with Kid A. It's because of their constant evolution of musical styles and creating some of the best albums of all time that they are one of the most influential bands of all time.

They were also the first majorly successful act to drop a surprise album release and the first to give a pay-what-you-like model, including the option to let people get the album for £0, in 2007 with In Rainbows.

Since the band's last album The King of Limbs (and almost any Radiohead album since at least Kid A really), there has been rabid anticipation and speculation on what we could expect next from the band. It all kicked off into hyperdrive, following the surprise release of its rejected Bond theme Spectre (named after the movie of the same) in Christmas 2015, when the week before A Moon Shaped Pool dropped, leaflets containing lyrics for the song Burn the Witch were posted to fans. It then got weirder, yet even more exciting (if you're a 'Head fan), when the band (and Thom Yorke) wiped their digital footprints off Twitter, Facebook and their own website, leaving it in a blank space of white for a few days until the release of Burn the Witch soon after. The album's official release was confirmed alongside the release of the single Daydreaming, accompanied by a video directed by acclaimed director Paul Thomas Anderson, three days after Burn the Witch's release.

Needless to say, when it comes to Radiohead, expect the unexpected.

Radiohead are an English rock band from Abingdon, Oxfordshire, formed in 1985. The band consists of Thom Yorke (lead vocals, guitar, piano, keyboards), Jonny Greenwood (lead guitar, keyboards, other instruments), Colin Greenwood (bass), Phil Selway (drums, percussion, backing vocals) and Ed O’Brien (guitar, backing vocals). They have worked with producer Nigel Godrich and cover artist Stanley Donwood since 1994.

Radiohead released their debut single Creep in 1992. It became a worldwide hit after the release of the band's debut album, Pablo Honey (1993). Their popularity and critical standing rose in the United Kingdom with the release of their second album, The Bends (1995). Radiohead's third album, OK Computer (1997), propelled them to international fame; with an expansive sound and themes of modern alienation, it is often acclaimed as a landmark record of the 1990s and one of the best albums of all time.

Kid A (2000) and Amnesiac (2001) marked a dramatic evolution in Radiohead's style, as they incorporated influences from experimental electronic music, 20th-century classical music, krautrock, and jazz. Despite initially dividing fans and critics, Kid A was later named the best album of the decade by Rolling Stone, Pitchfork and the Times. Hail to the Thief(2003), a mix of rock and electronic music with lyrics inspired by the War on Terror, was the band's final album for their record label, EMI; their subsequent releases have been self-released. Radiohead released their seventh album, In Rainbows (2007), as a download for which customers could set their own price, to critical and chart success. Their eighth album, The King of Limbs (2011), was an exploration of rhythm and quieter textures.

Radiohead have sold more than 30 million albums worldwide. Their work places highly in both listener polls and critics' lists of the best music of the 1990s and 2000s. In 2005, they were ranked 73rd in Rolling Stone's list of "The Greatest Artists of All Time"; Jonny Greenwood (48th) and O'Brien were both included in Rolling Stone's list of greatest guitarists, and Yorke (66th) in their list of greatest singers. In 2009, Rolling Stone readers voted the group the second best artist of the 2000s.

pnngKt2.png

A Moon Shaped Pool
Digital download: Out now (links below)
Physical release: June 17
Special edition release: September

Tracklist

• 1 - Burn The Witch
  • 2 - Daydreaming
  • 3 - Decks Dark
  • 4 - Desert Island Disk
  • 5 - Ful Stop
  • 6 - Glass Eyes
  • 7 - Identikit
  • 8 - The Numbers
  • 9 - Present Tense
  • 10 - Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggars Man Thief
  • 11 - True Love Waits (Note: see below for a link to a live version of this from 2001)

Buy it on: iTunes|W.A.S.T.E|Google Play
Listen to it on: Apple Music|Spotify|Google Play

Videos:

DyktNva.gif

Burn The Witch: Directed by Chris Hopperwell

iHmaLe5.gif

Daydreaming: Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson

-----

Previous discography and certain song selections (all links lead to Spotify except when otherwise mentioned)

dpatPZh.png

Pablo Honey (1993)

Selections from the album:

- Creep

[Note: Pablo doesn’t stand up as well due to the band’s later work – only Creep holds up and is perhaps the only worthwhile recommendation from the album to newer fans, its success as a single aside]

qypOyvX.png

The Bends (1995)

- High & Dry
- Fake Plastic Trees
- Just
- My Iron Lung
- Street Spirit (Fade Out)

JxnZur8.png

OK Computer (1997)

- Paranoid Android
- Exit Music (For A Film)
- Karma Police
- No Surprises
- Lucky

Ky0Acmb.png

Kid A (2000)

- Everything in its Right Place
- The National Anthem
- How to Disappear Completely
- Optimistic
- Morning Bell

DonRPHY.png

Amnesiac (2001)

- Pyramid Song
- You & Whose Army
- I Might Be Wrong
- Knives Out
- Life in a Glasshouse

RS1Ggw1.png

Hail to the Thief (2003)

- 2+2=5
- Sail to the Moon
- Where I End and You Begin
- The Gloaming
- There, There

0CUVeEV.png

In Rainbows (2007)

- 15 Step
- Nude
- Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
- House of Cards
- Videotape

(Bonus - Discbox selections [links lead to YouTube as discbox songs aren't on Spotify]: Last Flowers, Up on the Ladder, Bangers + Mash)

VHaxoo4.png

The King of Limbs (2011)

- Bloom
- Morning Mr. Magpie
- Lotus Flower
- Codex
- Separator

Other non-album selections (half linked are to YouTube, the other Spotify except Spectre):

• Polyethylene Parts 1 and 2 (from How Am I Driving?)
  • Gagging Order (from Com Lag)
  • Talk Show Host (from Street Spirit’s single release)
  • Like Spinning Plates (from I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings)
  • True Love Waits (from I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings)
  • These Are My Twisted Words (a free download from Radiohead’s website from 2009 from the early King of Limbs sessions [no longer accessible thanks to band's website blackout])
  • Harry Patch (In Memory Of) (a charity single, recorded in the early King of Limbs sessions, in remembrance of the last living British soldier from the trenches of WW1 Harry Patch)
  • The Daily Mail/Staircase (standalone singles written during The King of Limbs sessions and recorded of their ‘From The Basement’ performance of King of Limbs)
  • Spectre (a free download from Radiohead’s Soundcloud from Christmas 2015, a rejected choice for the theme of James Bond film Spectre)

Select videos:

Links:

Thanks to:

- ElectricBlanketFire for the (original) OT subtitle suggestion (reference)
- All of Radiohead-GAF for the crazy ride this past year or so, especially since Spectre came out. It has been a ton of fun.

With that said... NEW ALBUM TIME!

ahieC49.gif

VrOEq3W.gif

fsHpwV1.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
punished google

2pm and still the album page on the store is not available.

RDreamer

Hope this goes up on spotify. I'm contemplating ordering the big special edition, but I wanna hear this shit first. I got burned on TKOL special edition and I'd rather not do that again.

Cheddahz

Banned
This might be my less favorite(?) Radiohead album by far, it sounds like a bunch of b-sides and finished songs that didn't belong anywhere else thrown together

Of course, I've only done one listen of the album so far, but I'm disappointed in it (as of right now)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This might be my less favorite(?) Radiohead album by far, it sounds like a bunch of b-sides and finished songs that didn't belong anywhere else thrown together

Of course, I've only done one listen of the album so far, but I'm disappointed in it (as of right now)

a lot people said the same thing about in rainbows.

Do you get the digital download for buying the physical edition (just standard CD, not special edition)? My order page says I'll receive an email with a link to my download shortly, but still no dice and it doesn't mention any digital edition on the store page.

Top Bottom