• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead Collaborates w/ Hans Zimmer on reworked "Bloom" for Blue Planet II

Called “(ocean) bloom”.

Radiohead have reinvented their King of Limbs song “Bloom” with composer Hans Zimmer for the BBC’s natural history series “Blue Planet II,” the BBC reports. The song, called “(ocean) bloom” and inspired by the sounds of the sea, was recorded by the BBC Concert Orchestra with Thom Yorke, who sings new vocals. The recording will feature in a five-minute prequel to the series released on September 27. In a press release, Yorke said, “‘Bloom’ was inspired by the original Blue Planet series so it’s great to be able to come full circle with the song and reimagine it for this incredible landmark's sequel.”

Yorke added, “Hans is a prodigious composer who effortlessly straddles several musical genres so it was liberating for us all to work with such a talent and see how he wove the sound of the series and Bloom together.” Sir David Attenborough will return to narrate the prequel as well as the series.

Didn't know that about the original. I'm hype (for the song and series).

N.A

Banned
Combining Radiohead, Sir David Attenborough & Hans Zimmer? Can't wait :D

The "From the Basement" version of Bloom might be my favourite Radiohead track.

Kers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_38JDGnr0vA

This world-exclusive introduction to the show is narrated by series presenter Sir David Attenborough and set to an exclusive track developed by Hans Zimmer and Radiohead. The prequel features an array of some of the most awe-inspiring shots and highlights from the new series, as well as several exclusive scenes that will not feature in any of the seven episodes which are set for UK broadcast on BBC One later this year.

No release date yet though...

see5harp

Yea love that basement version how everything is disorientating and out of sync and how it weaves in and out until the baseline hits and then it all makes sense. New version with the strings is very good.

cabot

Wasn't a big fan I say, it seems very standard considering the source.

Thanks for linking to all the different versions, that solo piano version is stunning.

see5harp

Yep.

The whole basement recording is insane, by the way. Amazing quality but it also becomes clear how crazy talented these guys are.

Niiiice

For sure. Basement version of that entire album made me appreciate it a lot more. I never hated the album outright though.

EVOL 100%

I've been saying over and over since TKOL first came out that Bloom is one of the best songs they've written. I feel vindicated

This version is a bit too bombastic for me, but then again I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the languid, subdued original studio version the most.

yepyepyep

Interesting that they decided to collaborate with Zimmer even though Jonny is an accomplished orchestral composer in his own right.

yepyepyep

The other way around, actually. This is Zimmer's production, and Radiohead is the guest.

Ah ok so he asked Radiohead to do it?

Listening to it I am not a fan but I am not a fan of Zimmer anyway. I actually wish there would be a Jonny version lol. Does anybody remember the original orchestral version of Arpeggi/Weird Fishes?

Slime

Banned
Whenever there's a new version of Bloom I'm like "oh, OK, whatever," and then I listen to it and I get chills and I'm like "OK, Thom, you win."

Top Bottom