• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage 2 is a fun game that makes me feel like garbage

Wink

This really is where participation trophies have led us huh. Everyone thinks their personal issues are most important despite almost all being poster worthy first world problems. Bunch of sheltered assholes, try and get some perspective from people who have to deal with real oppression or surviving the day.

mcz117chief

I think you guys are being way too harsh on him. His point is that all the good guys are perfect, angelic beings and all the bad guys are deformed monstrosities, as if the story teller is saying that a good guy can't be deformed and a bad guy can't look well in this game. I totally get him and I have no issue with him writing an article like this.

Skyfox

I think you guys are being way too harsh on him. His point is that all the good guys are perfect, angelic beings and all the bad guys are deformed monstrosities, as if the story teller is saying that a good guy can't be deformed and a bad guy can't look well in this game. I totally get him and I have no issue with him writing an article like this.
Got you covered bro:

Play another game!

Wink

The problem is he has to make everything about that revolve around himself. If he wasn't personally offended by it who knows if he'd make the point at all. Either you have a solid argument for criticism or you wanna clickbait with the victim card, can't be both for me.

mcz117chief

The problem is he has to make everything about that revolve around himself. If he wasn't personally offended by it who knows if he'd make the point at all. Either you have a solid argument for criticism or you wanna clickbait with the victim card, can't be both for me.
Well obviously if you have an issue yourself you will notice it more and thus make an observation. Like if people are discussing a problem and then one person says "yeah but what about people like me?", it is the same thing. He had a birth defect which he got fixed but he still remembers the discomfort and when he sees video game characters with the same defect being over-represented on the "evil" side I can definitely understand his discomfort.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'm gonna find something about myself that the other 99.9% of humans don't have and then I'm going to demand that the world change because of it.
Yourself, or someone very important to you, or someone you know, or a friend of a friend or someone you heard of. All valid options for gaming journalists.

Aintitcool

Banned
Why are the villians in games sometimes white men? I hate killing my own skin color. Gaming should have a toggle button so you can choose the race and skin and religion of all the enemies. /s

Why are the villians in games sometimes white men? I hate killing my own skin color. Gaming should have a toggle button so you can choose the race and skin and religion of all the enemies. /s
The only way is to make all the enemies gender nonspecific, transparent mannequins, just to be safe....oh and no blood to protect the squeemish.

Ar¢tos

Here is the perfect SJW cricism free cast for a game, arpg/RPG or fighting game:

Main character:
_104626111_rupaul1.jpg

NPCs/vendors:
gettyimages-1077961302.jpg

Enemies:
hf19fd0fya811.jpg

Main Boss:
Frankhd.jpg

I would actually play it! The dildo bat from Saint's Row would be the perfect weapon for this game.

Saber

Gold Member
That piece of crap stop being funny long ago.

They're the Ned Flanders of the internet, searching anything wrong with games but not playing any of them.

I'snt Rage 1 like that?

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I don't even see the guy's supposed birth defect. It reads like an onion article only it's not.

I swear sometimes I wish the government would just go and grab these people and throw them in the loony bin where they belong so we wouldn't have to ever deal with their bullshit again and live happier lives. I mean we really can't enjoy anything these days without some social rejects banding together on social media to tell us how offensive everything is and we're terrible people if we don't agree with them. They are delusional and down right insane.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I can’t wait for the day a “journalist” with balls does an exposé on a day in the office of a Kotaku or a Polygon.

Maybe they can do a Schreier and get disgruntled ex employees to lift the lid on the rampant autism that is the nucleus of these places.

Hell, I’ll fucking write it. Hit me up if you got any stories, lol.

mcz117chief

I'snt Rage 1 like that?
Could be, I dunno, I never played it.

They're the Ned Flanders of the internet, searching anything wrong with games but not playing any of them.

That isn't a fair assessment. He said that he did play the 1st one and enjoys the 2nd one as well and even went as far as to get a designer to talk with him. He probably did as much as he could in that regard.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah. It makes me a little uncomfortable when it’s always the bad guys that have the upper lip and nose removed, effectively.

Hasn't this been a basic device for centuries in narrative fictions? The antagonists are evil and therefore ugly and have birth defects whereas the heroes are good and therefore beautiful? It's occasionally subverted but generally that is pretty standard stuff is it not?

Fiction has long associated clefts with both villainy and mental health disorders, and it appeared the Rage franchise would perpetuate this cruel, damaging misrepresentation to a broad audience.

tenor.gif

Saber

Gold Member
Could be, I dunno, I never played it.

That isn't a fair assessment. He said that he did play the 1st one and enjoys the 2nd one as well and even went as far as to get a designer to talk with him. He probably did as much as he could in that regard.

Theres a mission in Rage 1 where you face hourdes of mutants in a tv series show, complete with traps and the announcer(which is the creator of the series).

Shifty

Holy friggin christ with these ME ME ME ME ME journalists. They did not put it in the game to personally sleight you, and expecting them to remove it specifically to please you is the height of unreasonable behaviour.

You know what games would look like if development studios capitulated to every tom dick and harry with basic writing ability and an entitlement complex? Something like this:

GreyBox_R_02.jpg

It floors me that they were able to generate that many paragraphs of tripe from this. Fuck sake.

Helios

Nothing wrong with bringing this to people's attention I don't think it's as big of a dilemma as he makes it to be but it's his article so whatever. The problem is when you go to the developer and want the game changed because of your issue.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

Isn't Rage set in a post-apoc radioactive wasteland, whereas your character is like from some hidden suspended animation pod or some such from centuries ago?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Where were this child's full-grown adult's parents?

I started teaching this lesson to both of my children (who are old enough to speak) when they hit about age 4 or 5.

"Mommy, you are making me so mad!"
"I hit him because he was making me annoyed"
"Well she was making me upset because she wasn't sharing".
"He wasn't giving me a turn which was making me sad".

The lesson was always the same: "No one makes you feel anything. It's your own choice. Your feelings are no excuse to hit, to snatch the toy, to yell, etc" (summed up and stripped of niceties)

Raven117

Look, it’s time we have a discussion.

That discussion being, do video games effect people’s behavior? We all believe that violence in video games has no effect on someone actually acting out. We have studies that back that up.

The question now is broader.... does any representation in video games from violence, to sex, to politics effect people’s behavior?

If it doesn’t effect people’s behavior (which it likely doesn’t), then are we really devolving into only how it makes you feel? Will games need to be designed to account for every possible contingency of offense?

Long and short of it.... I don’t care that this game made the author feel bad. Not one bit. And moreover, he shouldn’t care either. (This whole third rail of not being able to argue how someone feels is utter bullshit.. people can be unreasonable and We should be allowed to question their premise of what they are saying even if it’s “I feel this way.”)

I don’t care that you do. But thanks for vocing your opinion and I will put it where it belongs, in the garbage.

I love that design, it reminds me of some of the diformity and I feel bad for you if you're born like that.

This angle of "criticism" is getting old, I stopped paying attention to that kind of site a long time, and it wasn't that bad.

My guess is that this angle of attack is easy to write, read and repeat ad nauseam, once you saw an example, or two (if you're slow), along a list of the oppressed groups. You just have to look for a member of the group in a game, movie, book, look for something you find either stereotypical, or not representative of the group in the character and complain about it. It's even easier if there are none, or "not enough, in this case your job is cut out for you.

No, the game is about being the first to find the culprit and shame them to the other members of the cult, hope they are gullible enough to accept your authority on the matter.

Obviously sometimes it backfires, because the jealous in your team may call you out for doing white knighting... But silence is also a form of violence, so what are you to do?
His point is that all the good guys are perfect, angelic beings and all the bad guys are deformed monstrosities, as if the story teller is saying that a good guy can't be deformed and a bad guy can't look well in this game.
Ever heard of zombies? The issue is pretty similar... The monsters in this game are post apocalypse deformed humans, I think you're reading too much into this.

And for all we know the heroes end up with a major flaw somewhere along the story.

Last edited:

Fbh

Being born with a cleft lip is probably the best thing that has happened to this guy.

It probably has little (if any) effect on his quality of life but he can use it to see himself as disabled which he can then use to feel hurt and offended by any number of things.

Meanwhile people with real life altering disabilities are beating Sekiro instead of whining about everything

Thabass

Maybe don't play the game if you feel attack? I feel bad for him, but why keep playing a game that you feel bad about. Doesn't make sense to me.

Tako Ou

Banned
Holy friggin christ with these ME ME ME ME ME journalists. They did not put it in the game to personally sleight you, and expecting them to remove it specifically to please you is the height of unreasonable behaviour.

You know what games would look like if development studios capitulated to every tom dick and harry with basic writing ability and an entitlement complex? Something like this:

GreyBox_R_02.jpg

It floors me that they were able to generate that many paragraphs of tripe from this. Fuck sake.
There would still be room for complaints : why is it only white ?
It needs to be rainbow.

nkarafo

GreyBox_R_02.jpg

Those ramps look too steep, no way to climb with a wheelchair or those scooters for the obese. Ableism at it's finest. It's almost like Hitler got accepted to arts school, became a designer and made this shit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Aren't a lot of cleft lips corrected before the child can even talk? How did this guy play video games for so long? Mutants, freaks, outccasts, and ect. They aren't exactly going for a 1:1 comparison here.

Did polygonal shaped faces make people with round faces feel less important? Where did game journalist go after 20+ years? Its like some of these people were frozen in ice then thawed out in 2019 to write about games.

We should just ban such topics / articles / whatever dealing with those imbeciles.

Why giving them an echo chamber? It's like reasoning with flat earthers or some other dumb sect or cult.

Cosmogony

Yes, life is a grandiose story, at the centre of which lies a handicapped Polygon journalist.

The mental efforts required to sustain this worldview past puberty must be exhausting.

Top Bottom