• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage 2 is a fun game that makes me feel like garbage

mcz117chief

Yes, life is a grandiose story, at the centre of which lies a handicapped Polygon journalist.

The mental efforts required to sustain this worldview past puberty must be exhausting.
What makes you think that? His article is just one among thousands of others on that site, it isn't the only article in existence that everyone must read or face the death penalty. He felt like writing about his grievance an there is nothing wrong about that.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Eventually the world will swallow us whole.

When did we become such pansies? I used to admire the strength of people who would take their disabilities and otherwise and draw strength and character from it. Now all I see are people crying about things that clearly aren't meant to offend but is just an artistic style. If the full cleft lipped character was the hero of the story he's honestly telling us this would make him FEEL better?

Is that all it would take? Is that your pacifier? Fuck there's so much better shit to worry about...this is so frickin frustrating to me.

Cosmogony

What makes you think that? His article is just one among thousands of others on that site, it isn't the only article in existence that everyone must read or face the death penalty. He felt like writing about his grievance an there is nothing wrong about that.

You completely missed the point .

The title, my emphasis, "Rage 2 uses my birth defect as a crude shorthand for mutant freak", the tagline "Rage 2 is a fun game that makes me feel like garbage" and the fact he contacted devs all betray an adolescent worldview whereby life would be a story about him.

No.
A game is a piece of fiction.
Fiction is not reality.

No.
He is not owed anything just because he is handicapped. Others do not have to twist themselves into knots and cripple their own creativity just so his feelings are spared.

How about him coming to terms with his own limitations? How about him working on himself to the point of accepting life for what it is? But, no. He doesn't want to do the herd work. Instead he is placing the onus on the world. Let's have the world revolve around his psychological needs, let's have the world cater to him.

Sorry.
No can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outrunner

So he used his job as a "journalist" to try and get the devs to change the character design because he had a personal issue with it? He was also really expecting the dev to change the design because of what a Polygon "journalis" says?

These people give me cancer.

mcz117chief

You completely missed the point .

The title, my emphasis, "Rage 2 uses my birth defect as a crude shorthand for mutant freak", the tagline "Rage 2 is a fun game that makes me feel like garbage" and the fact he contacted devs all betray an adolescent worldview whereby life would be a story about him.

No.
A game is a piece of fiction.
Fiction is not reality.

No.
He is not owed anything just because he is handicapped. Others do not have to twist themselves into knots and cripple their own creativity just so his feelings are spared.

How about him coming to terms with his own limitations? How about him working on himself to the point of accepting life for what it is? But, no. He doesn't want to do the herd work. Instead he is placing the onus on the world. Let's have the world revolve around his psychological needs, let's have the world cater to him.

Sorry.
No can do.
This is just crazy. Are people not allowed to voice their concerns anymore? Can I never say "Hey, I lived through that, that shit sucks."? Well screw that, he can write whatever the hell he wants and I totally respect his opinion and understand the issue he has, because I have empathy. You take it like a personal insult that he made an article talking about *gasp* HIMSELF! THE HORROR!

So he used his job as a "journalist" to try and get the devs to change the character design because he had a personal issue with it? He was also really expecting the dev to change the design because of what a Polygon "journalis" says?

These people give me cancer.

He just asked the dev "hey, how come all the bad guys look like me? Isn't that weird?" how is that "giving you cancer"?

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I think you are being dishonest. If you were to go to the doctor and get yourself checked out. You will likely have cancer that can be drawn back exactly to this.
I'll go set up an appointment right away, thx, man :) Better start early on that chemo.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

This is just crazy.

What's crazy is thinking the world revolves around your navel and needs to pay homage and tribute to your circumstances.

That perspective is usually outgrown past puberty.
Unfortunately, that's not always the case,

Are people not allowed to voice their concerns anymore?

Of couse they are.
You'll never see me argue otherwise.

But whether their concerns hold any water or not, now that's an entirely different matter altogether.

Can I never say "Hey, I lived through that, that shit sucks."?

Of course you can.
Don't expect other people's fiction to bend to your psychological peculiarities though.
Instead, do the hard work.
Work on yourself.

But, of course, emailing people and crying Wolf is so much easier.

Well screw that, he can write whatever the hell he wants and I totally respect his opinion and understand the issue he has, because I have empathy.

Oh, look!
It's that last resort from those without arguments, the tiresome attempt to accuse your adversaries of lack of empathy. No, Sir. Fiction is not a manifesto. Fiction, especially the tongue-in-cheek kind Rage 2 went with, is not the vehicle for empathy. It is a vehicle to deliver a story.

You take it like a personal insult that he made an article talking about *gasp* HIMSELF! THE HORROR!

On the contrary.
He can write whatever he feels like writing about. And I, in turn, can comment on his terrible puerile arguments.

He just asked the dev "hey, how come all the bad guys look like me? Isn't that weird?" how is that "giving you cancer"?

Exactly. "look like me"?
Not ego-centric at all.

Did he happen to look into Rage 2 's dystopian lore? Did he not manage to find the explanation in there? Does the understand the conept of artistic freedom?

mcz117chief

So why is he not allowed to write this article again? You seem far more triggered about this than is healthy. He didn't do anything wrong and just said what he felt like saying, if somebody made a game where all enemies had my face on them I would be pretty bummed out too, wouldn't you?

Saber

Gold Member
This is just crazy. Are people not allowed to voice their concerns anymore? Can I never say "Hey, I lived through that, that shit sucks."? Well screw that, he can write whatever the hell he wants and I totally respect his opinion and understand the issue he has, because I have empathy. You take it like a personal insult that he made an article talking about *gasp* HIMSELF! THE HORROR!

I think you're trying way too hard to defend him. If it was so much of a bother he would be better not playing Rage at all. You know...since the first one, since its pratically is the same in terms of good looking heroes vs mutants.

mcz117chief

I think you're trying way too hard to defend him. If it was so much of a bother he would be better not playing Rage at all. You know...since the first one, since its pratically is the same in terms of good looking heroes vs mutants.
It isn't hard at all, all I am saying is that people are getting their knickers in a twist for something so mundane and inconsequential. A dude wrote an article where he comments about the fact that a large amount of enemies have a very specif defect that he himself had, that's it, and people blow it out of proportion thinking he is the reason for all the world's problems. He can play whatever, write whatever and say whatever and I will decide whether it is worth my time reading it, I don't need others to tell me "omg what a loser, just look at him", yeah, whatever.

Stuart360

So why is he not allowed to write this article again? You seem far more triggered about this than is healthy. He didn't do anything wrong and just said what he felt like saying, if somebody made a game where all enemies had my face on them I would be pretty bummed out too, wouldn't you?
He's a pussy, and if you think he's right that devs should change their game because its offended him, you're a pussy too.

Cosmogony

So why is he not allowed to write this article again?

I've already said - twice - he's allowed to write whatever he wants.
You're not making your case anys stronger by insinuating otherwise.

You seem far more triggered

Your assessment is immaterial to this discussion.

about this than is healthy.

Says the individual who thinks others should change fiction just so an individual won't feel bad about himself.

He didn't do anything wrong

Yes, he didn't do anything wrong.
His point is vacuous, immature and self-indulgent, though.

and just said what he felt like saying,

No one is arguing against him having the ability to write whatever he feels like writing about. This has been explained to you on several occasions, but for some reason it's not registering.

if somebody made a game where all enemies had my face on them I would be pretty bummed out too, wouldn't you?

Nothing comparable is happening here.
Another strawman.

Saber

Gold Member
It isn't hard at all, all I am saying is that people are getting their knickers in a twist for something so mundane and inconsequential. A dude wrote an article where he comments about the fact that a large amount of enemies have a very specif defect that he himself had, that's it, and people blow it out of proportion thinking he is the reason for all the world's problems. He can play whatever, write whatever and say whatever and I will decide whether it is worth my time reading it, I don't need others to tell me "omg what a loser, just look at him", yeah, whatever.

Thats a low effort argument right there. No one here thinks that hes not allowed to write an article. Just dont expect people to agree with him. If you write an article, you have expect criticism. And in a world every basically everything resolves in good looking vs ugly ones, this one has little to no impact. Even more if the game is not mean to support that, its just the story. If you look around outside his bubble you will see that just because someone writes something doesnt mean they're against it. And if he feels offended by a game like that, then he is pretty offended by basically everything: movies, series, books, you name it.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

I never said anybody should change anything. You are just triggered by someone voicing his opinion is all.

You've already made that claim three or four times and you have been explained an equal number of times why that's not the case. Criticizing someone's opinion is not the same thing as believing they don't have the right to express said opinion.

That you can't seem to understand this very basic distinction might help shed light on why you're here defending him with a never-ending stream of logical fallacies.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcz117chief

Thats a low effort argument right there. No one here thinks that hes not allowed to write an article. Just dont expect people to agree with him. If you write an article, you have expect criticism. And in a world every basically everything resolves in good looking vs ugly ones, this one has little to no impact. Even more if the game is not mean to support that, its just the story. If you look around outside the bubble you will see that just because someone writes something doesnt mean they're against it. And if he feels offended by a game like that, then he is pretty offended by basically everything: movies, series, books, you name it.
Some people stop or at least feel odd about playing/watching a piece of entertainment because of some reasons. Maybe the main character did something awful that they can't just wave their hand over or the characters behaves in some way that makes them uncomfortable so they go out and write about it or talk about it. This dude did just that, he isn't advocating that everybody should bow down to his whims, he never wrote an angry letter to the devs saying he will blow up their offices if they don't do what he asks, he simply made an observation, confronted the devs about it, they ignored him and so he just told his side of the story. There is nothing to discuss here, he just feels a certain way about a game and I get his point, that is it.

Cool.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Can I get a pie chart about this issue?

usb3LUl.jpg

Acidizer

Banned
Polygon and others are exploitative trash on multiple levels. This laughable and even sad I don't think even SJWs can fall for this, their dirty tactics are laid bare.

Saber

Gold Member
Some people stop or at least feel odd about playing/watching a piece of entertainment because of some reasons.

Is this a problem with the person or a problem with the game/movie/series?

Maybe the main character did something awful that they can't just wave their hand over or the characters behaves in some way that makes them uncomfortable so they go out and write about it or talk about it.

Again friend...you write something, you expect some feedback.

Normally when I feel uncomfortable with something, I usually avoid it.

This dude did just that, he isn't advocating that everybody should bow down to his whims, he never wrote an angry letter to the devs saying he will blow up their offices if they don't do what he asks, he simply made an observation, confronted the devs about it, they ignored him and so he just told his side of the story. There is nothing to discuss here, he just feels a certain way about a game and I get his point, that is it.

How a person just made an observation and confronts the dev about an observation?

mcz117chief

How a person just made an observation and confronts the dev about an observation?
And what about it? If I don't like something then it is not like the creators are immune from my observations, points of view or criticism. He respectfully and calmly told the dev about his view of the situation and the dev himself said that he understands him, he has absolutely no obligation at all to the person but talking with them doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
And what about it? If I don't like something then it is not like the creators are immune from my observations, points of view or criticism. He respectfully and calmly told the dev about his view of the situation and the dev himself said that he understands him, he has absolutely no obligation at all to the person but talking with them doesn't hurt.

An observation it's exactly what it says. Just an observation. It doesn't mean to be a big deal.
When you "confronts" a dev about an observation...it doesn't look so simple anymore.

mcz117chief

An observation it's exactly what it says. Just an observation. It doesn't mean to be a big deal.
When you "confronts" a dev about an observation...it doesn't look so simple anymore.
Are you arguing about the word now? They were at a convention to interact with people, he saw them, he told them his point of view, he left.

Saber

Gold Member
Are you arguing about the word now? They were at a convention to interact with people, he saw them, he told them his point of view, he left.

You should know by now that one word makes the difference. Even more one like confront, so yeah.
Anyway, so far what I can tell is that he got ignored out a silly thing(I mean, imagine making a big deal of Mad Max). And feel like should "tell his part of story"(as if I care). In the end all I can think this is nothing more than a "being mad cuz ignored" article. But again, you're free to agree with whatever you want. Doesnt mean his article is less trash/click bait, that sounds more like complaining but "nah, I played the game so it's cool ". Tbh I dunno why even make a big deal of this.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

You should know by now that one word makes the difference. Even more one like confront, so yeah.
Anyway, so far what I can tell is that he got ignored out a silly thing(I mean, imagine making a big deal of Mad Max). And feel like should "tell his part of story"(as if I care). In the end all I can think this is nothing more than a "being mad cuz ignored" article. But again, you're free to agree with whatever you want. Doesnt mean his article is less trash/click bait, that sounds more like complaining but "nah, I played the game so it's cool ". Tbh I dunno why even make a big deal of this.
Yeah, we can end it here.

Holy friggin christ with these ME ME ME ME ME journalists. They did not put it in the game to personally sleight you, and expecting them to remove it specifically to please you is the height of unreasonable behaviour.

You know what games would look like if development studios capitulated to every tom dick and harry with basic writing ability and an entitlement complex? Something like this:

GreyBox_R_02.jpg

It floors me that they were able to generate that many paragraphs of tripe from this. Fuck sake.

I've made some changes to your bigoted white-only game level design. In the future I would appreciate it if you would be more inclusive.

vFg2jKZ.jpg

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m convinced these articles are written so those of us that normally don’t read these shitty sites will click on their article.

They are mutants. I’m sure they weren’t specifically designed to mock people with particular deformities.

Petrae

The sooner “games journalism” goes the way of the dodo, the better. These attention whores don’t know when to fucking quit. It’s 60% slacktivism, 39% whining and drama, and 1% video games.

Neither Bethesda nor Avalanche should give even half a flying fuck about some whiny “journalist” who thinks a video game is somehow about him or that it makes light of some birth defect. If anything, the game’s PR team should take a shot at Plante like it did Paul Tassi.

When “game journalists” made their jobs about themselves and/or sociopolitical stuff instead of video games— y’know, the “game” that’s in their fucking job titles— what credibility there was for what they did was forever lost. And yet they find ways to double down on the bullshit every week.

In a perfect world, publishers would blacklist all of these sites that thrive on sociopolitical nonsense and drama. They’re not doing anything to help the games sell, and with the ability to run their own PR better than the media can, modern “games journalism” is essentially worthless. Cutting them off and moving to supply product to influencers and streamers who are enthusiastic about games and have solid audiences to spread the word to are a much better and productive use of resources. Then these sites will fold, the drama will collapse back of social media, and maybe the games themselves can retake center stage.

Halo0629

Jeez these whiny game journalist. He should be happy because at the end of the day he still can play videogames unlike a lot of poor folks who wants to play or enjoy videogames but they can't because they're physically disabled.

I got no problem with him writing an article if he feels butt hurt over certain characters in a game. He's a piece of shit for trying to use his position to try and influence a developer directly.

Xenon

I have asthma, why don’t out hero’s have asthma? Oh, because that’s fucking stupid.

Is it wrong that i think that asthma combined with a breather could make an interesting game mechanic for an adventure game?

Last edited:
Top Bottom