• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE 2 Official PC System Requirements Revealed

CyberPanda

Banned
Bethesda has revealed the official PC system requirements for RAGE 2. According to the specifications, PC gamers will at least need an Intel Core i5-3570 or an AMD Ryzen 3 1300X CPU with 8GB of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 780 3GB or an AMD R9 280 3GB.

Bethesda recommends an Intel Core i7-4770 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X CPU with 8GB of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB or AMD Vega 56 8GB graphics card. It’s also worth noting that the game will require 50GB of free hard-disk space.

Unfortunately, the publisher did not specify the graphics settings and framerate that these requirements target. Our guess is that the recommended specs are for gaming at 1080p on High settings with 60fps (do note that we are merely guessing here).

RAGE 2 releases on May 14th and you can find its full PC requirements below.

RAGE 2 Official PC System Requirements

Minimum System Requirements:
A 64-bit processor and operating system is required
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 3GB or AMD R9 280 3GB
Storage: 50 GB available space

Recommended System Requirements:
A 64-bit processor and operating system is required
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB or AMD Vega 56 8GB
Storage: 50 GB available space

Note: Persistent Broadband Internet Connection required to play and access certain features.

Gaf, is your PC capable of running this? :)

Varteras

Gold Member
Yep. My current CPU meets the minimum requirement. I'm running an i5-3570K. I have 16 GB of DDR3 and an RTX 2060 so my RAM and GPU are definitely good to go.

Armorian

Banned
Yep. My current CPU meets the minimum requirement. I'm running an i5-3570K. I have 16 GB of DDR3 and an RTX 2060 so my RAM and GPU are definitely good to go.

You can change that i5 for 2600k/3770k and boost your performance quite a bit without changing platforms.

amigastar

I have
I7 2600k
GTX 970
16GB Ram
that will do until the new consoles come out and then i upgrade my PC.

chigstoke

1800x and RTX 2080 here, think I'm gonna pick this one up for some 1440p goodness.

I really do need to go to 16GB Ram though, still on 2x4 HyperX Fury 2400 but OC'd to 2933. Amazon UK been discounting a lot recently...

Kenpachii

i7 870 4.3ghz
970 gtx
16gb ram
1tb ssd

Will be fine.

However port seems to be shitty optimized tho, recommend 1070 for a PS4 game is just lol worthy.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
You can change that i5 for 2600k/3770k and boost your performance quite a bit without changing platforms.

I probably could but I'm already grabbing parts for a new rig. The only reason I even have a 2060 in my current one is just because swapping GPUs is super easy.

Varteras

Gold Member
What are you planning to get? I'm waiting for Zen 2.

I snagged an Asus ROG Maximus XI Code motherboard, 16 GB of DDR4, and a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD. Will be picking up another 16 GB of RAM and probably a 2 TB HDD. The i9-9900K is dropping in price so I'm going to grab it. I was going to go with the i7-8700K but the 9900K will future proof my rig for longer. More cores/threads for when games start maxing out the 8700K. I was going to wait for what's next after the 9900K but the sockets could very well be different by then and I'd have to grab a new motherboard. So I'm just going to go with that for now until I need to upgrade again. Should probably have all that before the end of Summer. Going to pickup that stupidly expensive 27" Asus ROG 4K monitor as a Christmas gift to myself. Been running on this 23" 1080P HP monitor for eons now. Then I'll wait it out for the next line of GPUs. It didn't make any sense for me to go higher than the RTX 2060 when I only have a 1080P monitor and considering how long it will be until I upgrade from that I might as well not bother with the 2080 Ti and just wait it out.

Xdrive05

Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4Ghz on a MSI B450 Tomahawk
16GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
GTX 980 4GB @ +170 core / +200 mem

I'll probably hit VRAM limits pretty quickly at 1080p, and thus will have to do something like medium textures, even though the GPU processing muscle is there, in my system.

Hopefully there's a demo! (I think they offer demos typically, right?)

Last edited:
Kind of surprising to see a 4770 as recommened but a 780 as minimal. I wouldn't have thunk this 5 or so years ago.

Not with Moores's law slowing down.

Looks like both are listed at 3gb vram. I'm guessing it's that.

Last edited:

somerset

This is an *Avalanche* title (just cause 1-4, Mad Max, Zero Generation, that open world hunting game), not an iD game (tho Beth's iD team have worked on the 'shoot' elements). The Avalanche engine (for they are an engine company foremost, like Dice) is getting pretty ancient, as coporate lack of success means Avalanche have had to target a broad base for their titles.

Rage 2 began life as Mad Max 2, but then WB canceled that game, and Bethesda stepped in. Given Zenimax's love of legal action- most recently against a dev who dared to reuse some of their code from Fallout Shelter, I'd like to know how much Mad Max (the first) code is in Rage 2 - a lot of people here backed the Zenimax win over the Westworld, not understanding how important it is that devs can use their own code methods in multiple projects.

Rage 2 is to Mad Max as Westworld was to Fallout Shelter. Both games with massively derived code bases from the earlier title.

Anyway, Avalanche is not providing 'bleeding edge' examples of their engine, so honestly the required specs for good enough performance should be quite modest today. The real question is how good the game is going to be, given that Avalanche really hasn't done anything amazing since Just Cause 2 (and even Just Cause 2 was clearly inferior in many ways to Mercenaries 2 as a game- tho obviously JC2 had a far better engine at the time). Mad Max was OK, tho the melee combat was barely acceptable.

I really wish WB hadn't cancelled Mad Max 2. I think Avalanche had gained a lot of experience from the first one- and the lore of that IP is vastly better than Beth's Rage. Mad Max only gave us the one region. Even the (new) move had more than that. And we can see from what is now Rage 2 how Avalanche had moved forward to a far bigger world with far more regions for Mad Max 2.

Rage 2 reminds me of People can Fly's stinker, Bulletstorm. Another 'jokey' 'sadistic' shooter where 'mindless murder' was the name of the game rather than the standard 'good guys' vs 'bad guys' morality tale that makes this genre (film and game and novel) work.

And remember this, iD so lost its way with the original Rage, the company went down and had to sell itself to Bethesda (who eventually helped finish Rage, tho it was one of Beth's less successful games). Rage, across time, had the most outrageous dev budget- yet delivered a mediocre engine, a pointless texture management system, and a most unremarkable gameplay. But it *did* run 'well' on the Xbox360 which was Carmack's (insane) stated design goal.

Carmack had solved a *very* difficult texture algorithm problem that gave killer visual results on iPhones and very limited VRAM consoles of the day- at the cost of totally breaking the texture and model and level design artist part of the game development pipeline. And the pure irony of Rage megatexture was this. Most textures were just repeated anyway, cos the artists had neither the time nor the inclination to take advantage of the 'every pixel is unique' system.

But Megatexture is gone today- from a CS POV, when modern dev methods are considered, combined with increased texture resolution and increased VRAM resources, it is mathematically wrong-headed. Rage 2 uses modern JIT texture streaming.

Here's the funny thing. The original Rage went up against the original Borderlands family and lost badly, and the same seems set to repeat this year. But then Borderlands has a 'heart', which gimmick shooters like Rage and Bulletstorm lack.

Mind you, I used to think the one thing Beth published titles did have was 'polish'. But I've been trying 'The Evil Within 2', which is one of the most unpolished coding atrocities I've experienced in years. If Rage 2 turns around Beth's technical and quality control and game design decline (given that Beth has had a ton of input in *independent* dev Avalanche's project) it will be a genuine miracle.

Stuart360

Nice, it sounds more like Mad Max, than Just Cause 3 and 4, in terms of optimization.
My 980ti powered PC should be fine.

Mega Man

i7 8700
GTX 1070ti
16RAM DDR4-4000MHz

Should be good..
I hope I can still run streamlabs at 1080 x 60fps...

MadYarpen

You should be able to get console settings for 1080P/60. Close enough to it IMO. Depends on the game, however.

This gen, doe. :messenger_beaming: Not next.

Yeah, about next gen I will see. I will buy PS5 and will have to decide if I want to upgrade the PC.

Division 2 runs quite good, I think well above console settings (not 60 fps all the time though), that's why I asked.

Housh

6700k @ 4.4ghz
16GB @ 3200
1060 6 GB

Problem is I have a 1440 @ 165hz monitor and I want to hit that resolution. Time for a GPU upgrade?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
6700k @ 4.4ghz
16GB @ 3200
1060 6 GB

Problem is I have a 1440 @ 165hz monitor and I want to hit that resolution. Time for a GPU upgrade?
yeah 3440x1440 @120hz is already hard to hit with the best gpu

Evilms

Banned
i5-4690K
GTX 1070 Gaming X
16 GB

I think I'm fine.

1080p/60fps on Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
1080p/30fps on PS4
900p/30fps on Xbox one

Mithos

I can not really tell anymore... it's not as if they reference the CPU's of yesterday that might still cut it.

i7 930 @ 3.64Ghz
12 GB ram
GTX 1660 6GB

Top Bottom