• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE 2 Reviews thread

Skyr

No OT for the game?

It should be unlockable on steam in NZ or Australia in about 6 minutes.
Will try to VPN it when I'm home.

DanielsM

Banned
Cant wait to play it, watching Cohhcarnage currently and it looks realy good fun, i enjoy mindless action games with guns and vehicles, was hoping for 7/10 as an average score.

Most games are better than Days Gone, what a dull game.

On April 30th, you didn't state Days Gone as a game you are playing. I don't necessarily have an issue with your opinion, if you have one, but you act like you are playing the game. Which could be the case but I am very suspect.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Yep, will wait for Complete Edition with 65-75% Off (summer / autumn / winter sale next year).

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
This game looks very ugly to me. Watching Forsen play it on Twitch and the insane over-use of depth of field at times looks hilariously bad.

I don't know. The reviews all kind of come off like 'I don't like the developers anti game journalist tweets so I'm going to let it taint my review' kind of feeling. I'll wait and see what oneangrygamer has to say about it. If he says it's a 7 out of 10, then I'll know it really is.
You could tell this was going to be the outcome the second Jason Schreier took offense on Twitter. You could basically hear the wagons being circled.

Evilms

Banned

Starfield

Pre-loading on Bethesda.Net Launcher right now (I got it cheaper there), can't wait to try it out. I think in CEST it's unlocking at 1am

demigod

he said buy on PC,on consoles there are some issues from what he said in the review

The game went Gold a little over a week ago, that's a sign of trouble. I'm not surprised this game scored low since the first game didn't score high. I voted sub 80 btw in the other thread with the poll.

Mista

Banned
Jesus Christ, what are people freaking out for?

Scores are in the 7-8 range, which typically indicates that the game is decent. Some a little lower, some a little higher.

Looking at the comments you’d think it was scores in the 4-5.
I know right😂
Today it’s either a 9+ or now the game is “bad”

klosos

Well Mad Max another game from avalanche got similar scores and i loved that , i am defiantly going to pick this up at some point. Not day one for me but most games are not day one for me to be honest.

A good summer game when i get time off

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I don’t buy the reviews just yet. Especially when ubisoft releases a copy paste open world game every 3 months.

Oh shit, they made mad max? Reviewers were off the mark on that one too. If that’s the case their pedigree should guarantee a great game.

It must not hit all the ubisoft bullet points...

Last edited:

Stuart360

They might should have gone for a more linear and packed game over an empty open world.
Open world is always better. Linear is so old school and dated imo. I like to do what i want, when i want, and how i want.
Oh and 7's and 8's are not bad scores, ffs.

7 would have been my guess anyway. Only review I've read/watched so far is ACG. He usually matches my tastes and loved Mad Max as much as I did.

Plus, I just got my new GPU and monitor, so need something other than Division 2 to push it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They might should have gone for a more linear and packed game over an empty open world.
It’s feels like most western developers no longer care about putting proper level design in their games so they just go for “open world” instead.

I personally hope western developers obsession with making every game “open world” slow down a bit so we could see proper level design.

Last edited:
About what i expected. Good solid review scores for a good solid game.
People need to get out of this mindset that anything below a 9 means a game sucks.

What’s interesting to me is seeing some of the people who dogpiled Days Gone turn around and defend this game’s scores and critiques (which are similar).

People should just be consistent. That’s all I ask.

I’m buying this game, for sure, and just like I was certain I would enjoy Days Gone, I’m certain I’ll enjoy this.

I don’t buy into “repetitive empty open world” critiques. Frankly this line has become almost more cliche than the open world genre itself. Open world games are what you make of them, and I’m gonna all this a fun ass ride.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Gamespot have Days Gone a 5 and I love it

They gave this a 6 so it’s probably gonna be my GOTY

Agree, but how much did the purple Mohawks add to the score? :messenger_tears_of_joy: I wouldn't listen to any of what these big sites say anymore, one way or another. People really need to get out of these metascores as well. If they would have made Rage 1 + Mad Max I would have bought this day 1, but I feel like it shouldn't even be called Rage 2 at all. (I might be picking this up at some point)

We laugh about this now, and at the end of the year my bet is Days Gone wins some GOTY awards.

Last edited:

Stuart360

What’s interesting to me is seeing some of the people who dogpiled Days Gone turn around and defend this games scores and critiques (which are similar).

People should just be consistent. That’s all I ask.

I’m buying this game, for sure, and just like I was certain I would enjoy Days Gone, I’m certain I’ll enjoy this.

I don’t buy into “repetitive empty open world” critiques. Frankly this line has become almost more cliche than the open world genre itself. Open world games are what you make of them
I hope you dont mean me because i said in 2 seperate posts that the 7's and 8's were spot on with Days Gone, and that the 4's and 5's were ridiculous.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
These reviews seem super strange. Actually reading them seems like the consensus is that it feels really awesome to play but not everybody is convinced on the content to play through. Scores seem crazy low.

demigod

Agree, but how much did the purple Mohawks add to the score? :messenger_tears_of_joy: I wouldn't listen to any of what these big sites say anymore, one way or another. People really need to get out of these metascores as well. If they would have made Rage 1 + Mad Max I would have bought this day 1, but I feel like it shouldn't even be called Rage 2 at all. (I might be picking this up at some point)

We laugh about this now, and at the end of the year my bet is Days Gone wins some GOTY awards.

Wasn't Rage 1 a corridor shooter? Everyone trying the open world now it seems.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
About what i expected. Good solid review scores for a good solid game.
People need to get out of this mindset that anything below a 9 means a game sucks.
This why people should read actual reviews instead of just looking at the score. The issues might other reviewers had with the game might none issue for you or things reviewers personally do like but for you it might be negative.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Wasn't Rage 1 a corridor shooter? Everyone trying the open world now it seems.
It made sense doing a Rage 1 plus a Mad Max, what Mad Max did well, the cars/driving/day-night cycle/etc. Rage didn't do well, and what Rage did well... Mad Max didn't i.e. combat and story, cutscenes, etc.

Yes, Rage 1 was more of a hub world trying to convince people that it was an open world... the shooting was awesome as were the enemies. Just my take.

Stuart360

Speaking of Rage 1, i just finished a playthrough of it this week and man the graphics at times still look amazing, at least maxed out on PC. Good solid game as well, just like this one seems to be.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I dunno if I would recommend even read Gamespot review.

They said that the game lack...charisma? Hows that even a valid complain?

They also mention that some parts are technically easier with the tools you got(maybe hes playing on easier difficulties? Maybe someone can clarify this because he mentions that he likes missions on a higher difficulty). Also nitpicks everywhere, complaining that the "mission complete" announcement interupts the "flow of the game".

It really felts like the person who played is like this:

"Ah c'mon, do I have to play this game? But I'm bored of playing games...oh well its my job, I think I can say bad things and get this done already".

Last edited:

demigod

I dunno if I would recommend even read Gamespot review.

They said that the game lack...charisma? Hows that even a valid complain?

They also mention that some parts are technically easier with the tools you got(maybe hes playing on easier difficulties? Maybe someone can clarify this because he mentions that he likes missions on a higher difficulty). Also nitpicks everywhere, complaining that the "mission complete" announcement interupts the "flow of the game".

It really felts like the person who played is like this:

"Ah c'mon, do I have to play this game? But I'm bored of playing games...oh well its my job, I think I can say bad things and get this done already".

They're just in it for the clicks now. Fucking shit please stop linking Gamespot, just copy and paste their shit from now on so people don't have to visit them.

To be fair, the horrendeus art style killed the game long ago for me. A game needs to be pleasent to look at and this picture alone screams "please don't buy me" imo:

rage2-logo-header.jpg

The first rage was pretty flawed as well, but at least it looked nice. I could look past the 7/10 scores because I think the majority of the reviews mentioned that the gunplay is really solid, but not in purple and pink. I'm not 13 anymore.

At least looked nice? It was just brown-the game

Belmonte

It’s feels like most western developers no longer care about putting proper level design in their games so they just go for “open world” instead.

I personally hope western developers obsession with making every game “open world” slow down a bit so we could see proper level design.

I usually agree with the sentiment but Rage 1 was pratically begging to be open world! I'm playing it and many gameplay elements they added would make a lot more sense if the game wasn't linear.

Speaking of Rage 1, i just finished a playthrough of it this week and man the graphics at times still look amazing, at least maxed out on PC. Good solid game as well, just like this one seems to be.

It is insane! Not only graphics wise but the art is incredible also. Easily one of the best post apocalyptic concepts I ever saw. A thing which got my attention was how the stages are composed from many locations with very different assets. You start in one place at the beggining and in the end it doesn't even feel it is the same level.

Top Bottom