• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE 2 Reviews thread

Starfield

Here's my own short review of being 3-4 hours in:

The Good:
+obviously, gunplay and weapon design. Feels like DOOM in an open-world setting
+The performance (PC). gtx1080, i7 8700k, 16gb ram > about 80-100fps, smooth af
+The visuals.
+The voice acting
+ Funny and interesting NPC's that populate the world (with awesome names. Annie Hilator)

The Meh:
>Story. So far the story doesn't really strike me as being interesting, maybe it gets better though.
>Driving. It just doesn't feel as good as in, lets say Mad Max
>The World. The environment can look good and sometimes completely boring.

The Bad:
-
Driving controls (PC) - they just suck.
-Key binding
-the constant pauses because of tutorial pop-ups or some other information shit

I'd say for now it's a solid 7/10

It seems like everyone is comparing it to DOOM, but my experience so far is that it plays a lot more like Bulletstorm than DOOM. The only DOOM-specific aspect I see is the double jump, but the gunplay and power combos feel a lot more like Bulletstorm than any other FPS I can think of. I think it's a lot more like 'Mad Max + Bulletstorm' rather than 'Just Cause + DOOM'.

I agree, it doesn't really feel like DOOM to me at all, tbh. Much closer to something like Bulletstorm. However, I'd liken everything else to Just Cause instead of Mad Max. Driving in MM just felt so damn good.

Last edited:
I don't know if just the vehicles I have right now, but they are so slow compared to Mad Max.

Loved the feeling of hauling ass and getting pissed when I went off the side.

Anyway, I went back to M/KB. I just hate shooters with a gamepad. I use a G600, so I just set up a profile for it.

Driving isn't as nice, but I'll just switch to gamepad for the races if they're challenging.

Starfield

Can you elaborate?
inside the menus you have to hit Enter for most of the stuff you wanna do, at a vendor you have to do the same. Complete every action with ENTER. Its a huge deal for me cus u always haev to go across the keyboard with your hand which breaks the flow imo.

weapon wheel is on Q they could have made it on mwb instead.

you have to use your armour power with CTRL left...why?

drotahorror

inside the menus you have to hit Enter for most of the stuff you wanna do, at a vendor you have to do the same. Complete every action with ENTER. Its a huge deal for me cus u always haev to go across the keyboard with your hand which breaks the flow imo.

weapon wheel is on Q they could have made it on mwb instead.

you have to use your armour power with CTRL left...why?

Can definitely see the menu thing being annoying. I prefer E for those things. I also like Right Click for going backwards in menus, and wish it was standard in PC gaming.

Can you not rebind your abilities? If not that's a huge problem for me.

Starfield

Can definitely see the menu thing being annoying. I prefer E for those things. I also like Right Click for going backwards in menus, and wish it was standard in PC gaming.

Can you not rebind your abilities? If not that's a huge problem for me.
You can rebind it but it shouldn't be a problem in the first way. Whoever thought this was a great idea didn't think much into it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is it me or does this game look absolutely hideous on my Xbox One X? The resolution looks terrible and blurry as fuck.

I'm seriously wondering if their is a glitch in my copy and its only playing the game with base console specs.

Stuart360

Is it me or does this game look absolutely hideous on my Xbox One X? The resolution looks terrible and blurry as fuck.

I'm seriously wondering if their is a glitch in my copy and its only playing the game with base console specs.
I dont think its a glitch. PC users playing the game at 4k are saying it looks blurry, and the OneX only runs at 1080p because of the 60fps performence.
There is a way on PC of editing some stuff in the ini file to improve the blurryness, but obviously you cant do that on console.

I can't escape the feeling that I'm playing the unholy mashup of two different games. Joke's on me for playing so much Rage and Mad Max... It feels wrong.

Had a good laugh when some Quake 2 berserkers dropped out of a ship. I always felt that the Authority was store-brand Strogg and now it's pretty much confirmed!

I can't escape the feeling that I'm playing the unholy mashup of two different games. Joke's on me for playing so much Rage and Mad Max... It feels wrong.

Had a good laugh when some Quake 2 berserkers dropped out of a ship. I always felt that the Authority was store-brand Strogg and now it's pretty much confirmed!

Lol, my first thought on seeing the Authority cyber mutants was the Strogg.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Forgot I had this game pre-ordered from Amazon and it arrived today. Those reviews are fucking brutal, way worse than I expected from the gameplay I watched (which looked great).

Shame, but I’ll probably just eat the shipping cost and return this to Amazon

RPS37

I thought it looked cool from the previews but, embarrassingly enough, I have to admit it that after I saw the 6 from Gamespot all desire I had to play it is gone.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
7's and 8's are 'brutal reviews'?. How high did you think Rage 2 was going to go?
I honestly was hoping for and expecting an 85+ Meta quality game — most of the previews were glowingly positive. Goes to show you that pre-ordering never, ever pays.

GenericUser

Saw some gameplay on twitch,don't like it,looks boring
Yeah, I had the same experience yesterday. Everybody on twitch played it, so I gave it a look. It doesn't necessarily look bad or anything, but it's just that there are so many games that I think are more fun then this.

Stuart360

Man i love this game so far, i'm struggling to put it down but i have to go out now. Its a perfect game for me as i'm so anal with open world games and have to explore everywhere. Found tons of stuff hidden around that really come in useful with crafting and upgrading. I was checking a town out, a question mark popped up on my screen so i went to check it out, and it was a huge underground area where you had to fight a giant mutant boss at the end of it.
I kind of feel like a lot of Days Gone players must of felt after that game god middling reviews. It also makes me wonder just how much time and effort some of the reviewers put into the game.
If you like open world games, and like exploring and collecting, all with some pretty amazing gun play, this is the game (so far anyway, about 4 hours in).

Arun1910

Eh, not happy unfortunately, was looking forward to this.

Graphics aren't great even on Ultra which is surprising as the gameplay looked better than what I was seeing which was weird.

Gunplay is fun but that's literally about it. The world is so barren, the 2 hours I played was just drive here, kill people, drive here, kill people in a loop.

Thankful for Steam refunds, but disappointed as a whole.

Really interested in how the Metacritic is beating Days Gone though, that game is way better imo.

Skyr

Does anyone know if it takes hybrid controls (mouse and gamepad at the same time)

Yes it works. Driving is definitely more fun with a gamepad.

Is it just me or is the AA solution really bad here? The aliasing is still really bad even with the highest option.
Any method to improve this besides downsampling?

Ogbert

I don't know if just the vehicles I have right now, but they are so slow compared to Mad Max.

Loved the feeling of hauling ass and getting pissed when I went off the side.

Anyway, I went back to M/KB. I just hate shooters with a gamepad. I use a G600, so I just set up a profile for it.

Driving isn't as nice, but I'll just switch to gamepad for the races if they're challenging.

I’m actually the opposite 😀.

Almost always prefer Mouse and keyboard but this feels like the rare exception where gamepad works better. Too many buttons keyboard that are awkward under the hand.

Stuart360

Yes it works. Driving is definitely more fun with a gamepad.

Is it just me or is the AA solution really bad here? The aliasing is still really bad even with the highest option.
Any method to improve this besides downsampling?
AA seems fine for me, did you try just TAA, and not TAA + FXAA?. Stuff in the distance can be a bit aliased though, it still looks very sharp for me and that was a worry as a lot of people talked about how blurry it is. No blur for me thankfully, i was expecting the worst after 'Generation Zero'.

Yeah, I had the same experience yesterday. Everybody on twitch played it, so I gave it a look. It doesn't necessarily look bad or anything, but it's just that there are so many games that I think are more fun then this.
Same. I saw Days Gone getting bad critics reviews but great user reviews, checked on twitch and what I saw of people playing looked decent enough so checked it out. On this I saw it was actually getting even worse user reviews than critic reviews, so I did the same. Gameplay looks solid, but everything else didn't look that exciting.

Eh, not happy unfortunately, was looking forward to this.

Graphics aren't great even on Ultra which is surprising as the gameplay looked better than what I was seeing which was weird.

Gunplay is fun but that's literally about it. The world is so barren, the 2 hours I played was just drive here, kill people, drive here, kill people in a loop.

Thankful for Steam refunds, but disappointed as a whole.

Really interested in how the Metacritic is beating Days Gone though, that game is way better imo.
The user score for Days Gone is WAY higher.

Stuart360

Same. I saw Days Gone getting bad critics reviews but great user reviews, checked on twitch and what I saw of people playing looked decent enough so checked it out. On this I saw it was actually getting even worse user reviews than critic reviews, so I did the same. Gameplay looks solid, but everything else didn't look that exciting.

The user score for Days Gone is WAY higher.
Not saying Days Gone is better or worse than Rage 2, but Days Gone is a Sony exclusive, its hardly going to get bad user reviews. If you look at Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2, they probably have good user reviews as well.

Are they sites where 'none Xbox' players can vote though?, or can anyone vote?. Fair enough though if i'm wrong.
It's Metacritic since the guy was saying he doesn't understand how this has higher score than Days Gone (although it actually doesn't, same on PC, lower on PS4).

Masatshi

been playing on One X since before launch. without the day one patch it had performance issues, yes, but after that 14GB dayone patch it runs super-smooth now... so don't worry about the framerate.

To be fair, console fans can be a sensitive bunch. They do like to defend their exclusives.
True, but even with fanboy reviews it's not uncommon for those to still to be sub 70% (Killzone SF, The Order, Gran Turismo Sport, talking specifically Sony), so Days Gone with a 80% does make it seem people are legit enjoying the game. Not like I take stock in user reviews either, was just pointing that out to that guy.

I know, I just mean from critic standpoints, it's so weird to me how these 2 games are getting near similar scores.
It's game critics, they're basically a meme at this point.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Waiting for the game to finish installing however have done the intro and I'm impressed so far. Sure, it's a little blurry (one x) but it feels great, sounds good and im looking forward to getting out into the wasteland to serve more justice.

Not all games can and should be a total masterpiece. Some just allow you to sit back, let off steam, shoot some fools and have a good time. Glad I picked this up.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
There are a lot of faults with the game. A lot.

But nothing so far is fucking me right off more so than...... the god damn item crates. For some reason, your melee range is about 2 inches in front, so I keep missing bashing them with melee... ugh...

But nothing so far is fucking me right off more so than...... the god damn item crates. For some reason, your melee range is about 2 inches in front, so I keep missing bashing them with melee... ugh...

Lol. I stop meleeing and shoot them with my pistol.

Ulysses 31

I dont think its a glitch. PC users playing the game at 4k are saying it looks blurry, and the OneX only runs at 1080p because of the 60fps performence.
There is a way on PC of editing some stuff in the ini file to improve the blurryness, but obviously you cant do that on console.
Did those PC players disable dynamic resolution? 0o

Mista

Banned

It’s not worth the melee. Just shoot them

Ogbert

Dude! Just shoot them. It’s ace!

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah, I may have to start shooting haha, I keep playing it a bit more tactical thinking of saving ammo, when to be fair... why? Haha.

Top Bottom