• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE delayed until Oct. 4th

The official site gives Oct. 4th as a release date. Gamestop has already updated as well.

So more polishing time or did Gears 3 scare them off a bit?

Here's its new release position:

timetokill said:
September
06 Resistance 3 (PS3), Dead Island (360/PS3/PC)
11 Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
13 God of War Origins (PS3)
19 Kirby Mass Attack (NDS)
20 Gears of War 3 (360)
21 Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
27 Team ICO HD Collection (PS3), FIFA 12 (360/PS3)
?? Starfox 3DS (3DS), Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360/PS3/PC), Disgaea 4 (PS3), NHL 12 (360/PS3)

October
04 Dark Souls (360/PS3), Twisted Metal (PS3), The Darkness 2 (360/PS3/PC), Rage (360/PS3/PC)
11 Forza 4 (360), Ace Combat Assault Horizon (360/PS3)
18 Batman: Arkham City (360/PS3/PC), Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
25 Battlefield 3 (360/PS3/PC)
?? NBA 2K12 (360/PS3)

blake-griffin-sad-face-310x186.jpg

I'm probably gonna end up picking this up in a holiday sale on Steam with Batman anyways. October/November already has a few too many games that I preordered and exams are a bitch then too.

FrankT

Okay with a few weeks. Not going to change my mind on day 1 anyhow. A little close to Gears I'd say, but October is very busy as well. Hope it shines.

Ninja Scooter said:

Brilliant.

bengraven said:
They should release early and beat the Oct-Nov rush.

This. I was interested in this but pushing it further into the Oct/Nov glut isn't going to help. I'll probably end up putting it on the back burner now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So same day as The Cursed Crusade , Twisted Metal and Dark Souls ,well it's way better than releasing it in the same week with Gears 3.

Looking at the release schedule, I'm surprised so many games are staying put to weather the MW3/Halo Anniversary/Skyrim storm in November.

FrankT

Totobeni said:
So same day as The Cursed Crusade , Twisted Metal and Dark Souls ,well it's way better than releasing it in the same week with Gears 3.

DS the same day ehhh. Gonna be a hurt that day. Did they give final release for Forza? Sometime around then I believe too.

-PXG- said:
Weak marketing and competition from other shooters are gonna be the kiss of death. And honestly, this game never had a chance. No one cares about id anymore.

I care and I could give two craps for COD or Battlefield as well. Gears on the other hand.

-PXG-

jett said:
I think this game is gonna get lost this fall.

Weak marketing and competition from other shooters are gonna be the kiss of death. And honestly, this game never had a chance. No one cares about id anymore.

zychi

Banned
looks like its gonna bomba sadly. ill be getting it after i get tired of the other 6 shooters i'm buying this holiday and its sub-$30

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Haven't games found some decent success within the January/February time frame the last couple of years? Why not just hold off?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
timetokill said:
September
06 Resistance 3 (PS3), Dead Island (360/PS3/PC)
11 Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
13 God of War Origins (PS3)
19 Kirby Mass Attack (NDS)
20 Gears of War 3 (360)
21 Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
27 Team ICO HD Collection (PS3), FIFA 12 (360/PS3)
?? Starfox 3DS (3DS), Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360/PS3/PC), Disgaea 4 (PS3), NHL 12 (360/PS3)

October
04 Dark Souls (360/PS3), Twisted Metal (PS3), The Darkness 2 (360/PS3/PC), Rage (360/PS3/PC)
11 Forza 4 (360), Ace Combat Assault Horizon (360/PS3)
18 Batman: Arkham City (360/PS3/PC), Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
25 Battlefield 3 (360/PS3/PC)
?? NBA 2K12 (360/PS3)
Bold decision.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Jtyettis said:
DS the same day ehhh. Gonna be a hurt that day. Did they give final release for Forza? Sometime around then I believe too.

yeah, Forza 4 the next week, 11 Oct

it's this way

Gears od War 3 --one week--> Dark Souls, Rage,The Cursed Crusade,The Darkness II -one week--> Forza Motorsport 4 , Ace Combat: Assault Horizon --one week--> Batman: Arkham City

I think all games that between Gears and Batman AC are completely fucked.

FrankT

Just a theory here they set this in "stone" last time before MS had moved the date of Gears to fall then it was a nice surprise when they announced Sept 20th. Woops. heh

thuway

Most people here would disagree with me, but:

UC3 + Rage should both release Early 2012. Most people will be burnt out on their Battlefield, COD, and Arkham City by than. IT would be suicide to pile drive into them.

With that said, Rage and UC3 day 1.

StuBurns

Banned
Nirolak said:
Bold decision.
Yep, you bolded that decision.

Moving from the Gears window is wise, and they're far enough away from MW3. If BF3 gets insane launch hype they could be a little more dicey though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
Yep, you bolded that decision.

Moving from the Gears window is wise, and they're far enough away from MW3. If BF3 gets insane launch hype they could be a little more dicey though.
Har har har.

But seriously, I think this launch window is awful.

They're in the middle of prime marketing for Gears of War 3, the Battlefield beta will be going on, FIFA will be dominating a lot of Europe, Twisted Metal and Dark Souls will be eating notably sized niches on the PS3, and a lot of singleplayer gamers will be interested in Arkham two weeks later.

So far Bethesda has sent two games to die this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rage joins them. They really seem to be fine with everything but Bethesda's titles bombing.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
thuway said:

UC3 + Rage should both release Early 2012. Most people will be burnt out on their Battlefield, COD, and Arkham City by than. IT would be suicide to pile drive into them.

Shooters can handle themselves I guess ( unless the market is shifting), PS3 folks will support Uncharted 3.

Dark souls ( no Atlus Faithfuls support this time) , The Witcher 2 , Forza 4 and Twisted Metal need to go to 2012

FrankT

The only other real choice they could make is August or delay until 2012 putting the icing on a full 7 years.

thuway said:

I don't disagree. Seems perfectly reasonable.

Honestly, not sure why they just don't go head to head vs gears. 2 core games selling well in one month isn't abnormal or anything. 3 or 4 games like in october? ehh. now you're pushing it.

Besides Gears is 360 only. you got pc (shrug) and ps3 to conquer.

-PXG- said:

We shall see if anyone cares. I think it will easily do a couple of million because people love their shooters, and it's quite easy on the eyes.

This is one of two shooters I will be getting for the remainder of this year.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The more I think about it, the more I feel that this will get overshadowed. The hardcore will buy but I feel that it's bad timing to go any later.

FrankT

Forza/Gears combo almost reminds me of Halo 3/PGR4 fiasco. A bit close MS. Though there really isn't much to compete with that as far as that goes this fall and it is showing well.

Baloonatic said:
4 games I want to buy coming out on the same day :/

End of this year is completely packed.

I don't see this game doing well. They've taken way too long with it and the hype is minimal because of it.

I did my math earlier and I'm over $500 for wants on the retail side this fall. Something has got to give. Glad Bioshock, ME3, Lara, NG3, et al are next year.

FStop7

Banned
Rage kind of tumbled down my interest list when I learned that multiplayer was car combat rather than conventional deathmatch. I mean yeah, deathmatch is done to death, but... it's id! Deathmatch is their thing.

4 games I want to buy coming out on the same day :/

End of this year is completely packed.

I don't see this game doing well. They've taken way too long with it and the hype is minimal because of it.

daffy

Banned
Should've moved it up to Sunday so it could compete with Kirby. Now Mass Attack will dominate NPD with ease.

/salesanalyst

I actually didn't even know it had a release date.

Nizz

Dammit. I had a feeling something was up with the release date. They made a big deal out of the release date (was the same as id's Tim Willit I believe). But watching a CVG interview with him, when they asked him the release date he said "this Fall".

Top Bottom