• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis |OT| Dark Fantasy Anime Epic Funded By F2P Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

P7jcpXT.jpg

Title: Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
Genre: Fantasy Action
Length: 13 Episodes
Simulcast: http://www.funimation.com/shows/rage-of-bahamut-genesis/
Official Site: http://shingekinobahamut-genesis.jp/

5ngnfds.png

What's this about?

Two thousand years ago, the black-and-silver-winged dragon, Bahamut, terrorized the magical land of Mistarcia. The humans, god, and demons that inhabited the land united forces against the fiend and sealed its power into a key which was split in two, one half protected by gods and the other protected by demons. Now, Mistarcia is a peaceful realm – until a human woman steals the god’s half of the key. Based on the immensely popular digital card game, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is an exciting blend of action and fantasy.

H2STf0R.png

What so interesting about that?

Just watch the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-meX7dpotzA

b8lqVD0.png

Okay, who's making this?

Director: Keiichi Sato (Karas, Tiger & Bunny)
Assistant Director: Hiroshi Kobayashi (Tiger & Bunny, Yozakura Quartet Hoshi no Umi)
Series Composition/Script: Keiichi Hasegawa (Ultraman Nexus)
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Naoyuki Onda (Berserk: The Golden Age)
Music: Yoshihiro Ike (Karas, Tiger & Bunny)
Art Director: Goki Nakamura (Berserk: The Golden Age)
Effects Animation: Takashi Hashimoto (Yamato 2199, Aldnoah Zero)
Animation Production: MAPPA (Kids on the Slope, Terror in Resonance)

0niYmLn.png

Meh, I'll give a chance, where do I watch this?

FUNimation is streaming the series every Monday. Subscribers can watch it here: http://www.funimation.com/shows/rage-of-bahamut-genesis/

If you're in Japan it airs on Tokyo MX on Monday nights at midnight. Other Japanese territorial broadcast and streaming information can be found here: http://shingekinobahamut-genesis.jp/onair/
ridmDk8.png

Finalow

mc is rad

ok, ok. I guess that I'll watch this too, it looks quite interesting.

this OT will be dead in less than 2 episodes, sorry duckroll.

Moaradin

This shit looking fucking weird. I don't understand why it has such big production values lol. I'll watch it just for the animation even if I have no idea what the hell it's gonna be about.

duckroll

This shit looking fucking weird. I don't understand why it has such big production values lol. I'll watch it just for the animation even if I have no idea what the hell it's gonna be about.

The marketing for the show so far has basically been about emphasizing on the rivalry between the two main characters, especially on how they have very different and distinct hairstyles. AFRO vs POMPADOUR seems to be an actual in-joke they're playing up. It's really fucking weird. Lol.

ZoddGutts

This, Parasyte and Garo for me. First time in a long ass time I'm watching more than one anime in a season. Still not sure about Fate, hated the previous incarnation of F/SN mainly because of the MC sucked.

Pretty good animation.

Seems like it will be good. Seems like all the different summons will make it different week to week. It is better than most of the crap I've seen lately.

Rage of Bahamut 1

This is how you do a first episode of a fantasy show. The epic opening that comes straight from a heavy metal fantasy, the introduction of the protagonist and what I assume is the other lead, and the introduction of the third lead.

The animation and art style? Absolutely breathtaking. No joke I felt like I was watching The Road to El Dorado. It was that great in animation. The fantasy setting is fairly standard high fantasy, which isn't a bad thing. The action was great and awesome to look at, so smooth. The design for the leads was also something worth noting as a ginger afro lead with thick lips isn't something you see everyday.

I laughed my ass off in the opening with the two leads
running around in horses on rooftops
these are by far the bravest horses in the history of anime, they gave zero fucks.

The music? Fucking exquisite. The trailer had that part that it switched into that weird j-heavy pop rock that killed the mood, but there was none of that in here. The music was definitely a strong point as well.

The leads in particular made the show. Their dynamic will be probably be something similar to Samurai Champloo. We have the clown, the serious knight, and the lady who needs to go somewhere (who kicks ass as well).

I cannot recommend enough for everybody to watch this show. I think that outside of Fate Stay Night this was the strongest opening first episode.

I need moar. Nao.

Philippo

Rage of Bahamut 1

This is how you do a first episode of a fantasy show. The epic opening that comes straight from a heavy metal fantasy, the introduction of the protagonist and what I assume is the other lead, and the introduction of the third lead.

The animation and art style? Absolutely breathtaking. No joke I felt like I was watching The Road to El Dorado. It was that great in animation. The fantasy setting is fairly standard high fantasy, which isn't a bad thing. The action was great and awesome to look at, so smooth. The design for the leads was also something worth noting as a ginger afro lead with thick lips isn't something you see everyday.

these are by far the bravest horses in the history of anime, they gave zero fucks.

The music? Fucking exquisite. The trailer had that part that it switched into that weird j-heavy pop rock that killed the mood, but there was none of that in here. The music was definitely a strong point as well.

The leads in particular made the show. Their dynamic will be probably be something similar to Samurai Champloo. We have the clown, the serious knight, and the lady who needs to go somewhere (who kicks ass as well).

I cannot recommend enough for everybody to watch this show. I think that outside of Fate Stay Night this was the strongest opening first episode.

I need moar. Nao.

Whoa dude, you hypin' me quite a bit.
Gonna watch it nao.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rage of Bahamut 1

I need moar. Nao.
...oh alright, I'll check this out

duckroll

Episode 1

That was even better than I expected honestly. It wasn't just the production values which impressed, but how it was all put together. For fantasy animation is definitely felt inspired by films than by other anime, which is always refreshing for the medium. It's a very expressive show with minimal exposition, something I certainly hope continues.

It's really nice to see a story being told by what happens rather than people explaining what is supposed to be happening. The relationships between the characters, their motivations, and the general setting in the world can be derived by what the characters do and what they say to each other without anything feeling unnatural. The title cards for the character names are pretty hilarious too. For a show with a dark setting where people don't seem to mind killing each other, the tone is pretty whimsical. Pirates of the Caribbean comes to mind... for more than one reason (lol).

So yeah, the story seems interesting enough, the characters are better than expected, the animation is great, the action is great, the music is phenomenal. Unless they totally fuck it up, this could be a real winner.

I felt this episode was a really strong start.

Plenty of action and it introduces the three main characters. The animation was pretty good, and I didn't really mind the CGI that much.

So far (even though it's one episode) I feel like this is something I could recommend to someone who doesn't really like anime that much.

Mothman91

Copy pasting from the anime thread

bahamut 1

Oh me oh my, I'm loving this sweet animation. I don't mind the character designs either. Just hoping they don't rely on girl a lot for fights. Carrot top seems weak, but he has his upsides in mind games.

Awesome first episode, hopefully the show keeps up the quality.

Edit: where's that song from the pv(2? I think)?!

zonezeus

It's like Samurai Champloo mixed with Chaika, it might be a sleeper hit of the season.

The only thing not working for me so far is the Carrot Top's VA.

Episode 1

Other than those lips, everything seems perfect imo. Those animations, music, dialogues between characters are lovable.

Can't get it why in the world Favaro thought that summoned monster is tiny in the 1st place :lol

Teremap

Banned
Not got much to say that hasn't been already said. Just going to echo that I hope fanservice-armor-lady doesn't show up in fights too much. The other female characters do look sensibly dressed, so there's that.

They better keep up this momentum! I've seen far too many series that just blow all their animation budget on the first and last episodes. Really annoying when that happens.

Jarmel

Banned
Shingeki no Bahamut-1

I guess I liked this. It feels like a Western live action movie made into a fantasy anime rather than the reverse. The characters are fascinating and there is already a strong dynamic between the different parties. It feels like a mix of Tiger and Bunny with Samurai Champloo. I like Orange-kun much more than I thought I would.

There are a couple of things I want to note, the first of which is the sound direction. Really notable job especially when Orange-kun was in the chapel as due to the acoustics of the place, there was an echo effect. I can't remember the last time that somebody's voice changed due to the location being indoors. Expanding on that, I loved the soundtrack. Really big emphasis on trumpets, which is always nice.

I'm a bit more mixed on the art direction at times as I feel that there is too much CGI. That was more of an issue in the beginning than the later half. The whole thing is animated beautifully though.

duckroll

I think it's worth mentioning that FUNi's stream is only a standard stereo track, while the show is actually mastered in 5.1. It's pretty rare for a TV anime to have such high production values, but I guess they went all out. It'll be broadcast in 5.1 on Tokyo MX and BS11.

Shingeki no Bahamut - Genesis - 01

Why was everything I saw so enjoyable? Why was all the scenery and characters so awesome to watch? This shit is based on a fucking f2p Japanese cell phone game. Its not supposed to be this interesting and well made. I'm not supposed to be hype for the next episode of this show.

Damn you duckroll!!!!!

sonicmj1

Episode 1

That delivered on everything promised by the PV.

The opening historical flashback seems like the kind of thing a studio would blow a ton of money on before cheaping out with the rest of the season. But for this show, the flow of action rarely slows down. This is the most fun I've had with the first episode of a show since Samurai Champloo, which is pretty much as good as it gets.

iB2t2NtCDnP8x.jpg

The whole introduction of the male leads, with the spaghetti-western-tinged score and these great character titles, instantly hooked me.

As duckroll said, it's great how the show is willing to let the action set the plot. In terms of both setting and tone, there's a lot that reminds me of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Beyond specifics like the swordfight on a water-wheel, or the lively pubs and 17th century-esque town, the bounty hunters in this show feel like those pirates, or the stars of any sort of old-time adventure movie. They seek adventure, and adventure finds them. There's always the hint of darkness around the corner, but generally everyone's having a good time. The way the fight with the second brother played out, from the summoning of the demon to the foreboding dream, was a great example of balancing all those factors.

in7LAaQKqt0Y.jpg

Since when did anime studios do stuff like this?

The production values are off the charts, it's being used for a fun story, and even the elements that could have turned into really disgusting fanservice in theory wound up being largely inoffensive, some ass shots during the fight excepted. If they stick to this kind of storytelling and keep executing this well, it will be the best anime you can recommend to almost anyone in years.

The only fanservicey bits I saw were the
ass shots during that last fight where the girl was punching the crap out of that demon.

I only consider people
standing naked as fanservice if they specifically focus/zoom/highlight in on exposed body parts for arousing appeal. The two scenes shown with people being in the nude (one female, one male) didn't give me that vibe, second one was for comedy more than anything else.

Narag

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis 1

Well that lived up to the hype I'd heard all day today and then some. Usually you can point to one or two strengths of an episode (writing, animation, art, etc) but yeah, everything about this one was strong. I didn't even mind the CG dragon as it didn't move with that trademark jank that annoys the hell out of me.

If I had to pick any one thing that impressed me most, it'd be the exposition or rather the lack thereof, allowing the episode's story to unfold in a natural way all the while letting the viewer infer what's going on along with the other elements like the relationship between the two main characters, the big hook into the following episode, or even how the bounty system works. That's really refreshing.

Loved Favaro a lot too as he gave me goofyass Lupin/Cobra vibes. I expected dark fantasy but the humor injected into this is just so spot on. Can't wait for next week.

So, this show looks really good, and borrows a lot from all sorts of western animated movies, and the characters seem to pop out and draw you into the show, though I am not to keen on the female lead, though.

Though, I thought that the backdrops of the action scenes were interesting, I found the action itself to be standard anime cuts, that pretend that a lot is going on, but don't really show any of it. It my biggest problem with the show so far.

daveo42

Banned
Just finished up the first episode and this is way better than I was expecting. Very solid start to what I hope keeps up this level of animation and characterization going forward. It was fun, exciting, with just the right amount of mystery to hook the viewer without any kind of over-explanation.

Looking forward to next week to see where this show goes from here.

And yes, the animation budget for this was about the most insane I've ever seen in any broadcast show. The level of detail everywhere is just plain nuts. If this does keep up, even decent art and animation in other shows is going to look a bit "meh".

Yep, that was pretty good. Keiichi Satou wants to be a Hollywood blockbuster director, but you can't do that in Japanese live-action without looking exceedingly embarrassing, so I'm sure glad he's in the animation business! This premiere was a blockbuster in all the right ways - high production values, slick direction, a light pace continually being spurred forward by action, fun banter, interesting fantasy setting, the works. Favaro makes the perfect lead - he adds the right tone of whimsy to the whole affair. Looking forward to how he tries to extricate himself from the mess he's gotten himself into next week.

Bahamut 1

Hey, that was good (as basically everyone is saying). It looks as good or better* than Fate Stay Night, maintaining a great visual quality in not only the big action scenes but throughly all the episode. Even if the rest of episodes have half the budget we are for a treat.
*: at least I like more the character designs.

Just a note: dark fantasy? There are demons here, but it wasn't particularly "dark". More the opposite: a bright and bold swashbuckling adventure fantasy with larger than life characters and dangers. Even the music says swashbuckling adventure. And the shiny titles presenting the characters. It all together sets the tone perfectly.

TTGtLwc.jpg

Everyone has posted the horses on air, so I will post this one, I liked this moment.
dVVwZ9X.jpg

Cool.
What else to say. The whole "beating bad guys and taking them as cards" was silly, it seemed more taken from maybe the video game. Or is this Card Captor Sakura? lol. I suppose the same can be said from every bandit being a demon summoner. Is that a video game thing? Felt a bit weird.

Transformation moment was pretty dope. In this scene and in general all the episode they had great smoke effects. A bit silly to transform herself in a demoness... to just beat a big monster with kicks and punches, I expected magicks, but what you are gonna do, anime.
Her outfit is in the provocative side but ehh... somehow because she is a demon it feels less important. Do we expect demons to follow the same morals and fashion than humans? And in her human form she was clothed as a man.

The final tease at the end was interesting, even if at that point it was unneeded: the series had secured me as a viewer of the next episode long before.

Dark Fantasy doesn't necessarily have to be grimdark, usually just a world of fantasy that combines fantasy with some horror/dread. Think more grotesque creatures and horrifying dragons, less elves and dwarves and going on an adventure to find your wife. Obvious example is Berserk, think of all the grotesque creatures and battles it follows.

Dahbomb

This is based off of that card game on the phones? I actually used to play that shit (there goes my street gamer cred I guess).

This looks kinda legit, I thought this would be like a Yu-Gi-Oh type anime where kids just battled each other with cards and shit. Looks way better than I thought it would be.

Cwarrior

Shingeki no Bahamu ep 1

fedora_by_aims773-d81r6yv.gif

what on earth did I just watch, did I just witness fun in an original anime, the start of it felt like Disney’s road to el dorado....this had to be the best first episode of anime I've seen since tiger & bunny.

22mins episode that felt like an hour of entertainment, bahamut is getting so much right it's pretty scary and too long to list.

+fun main characters -omg a main character who isn't some over preachy loser & knows how to have fun & has some charisma to him.
+excellent character designs & art
+ Great BG soundtrack & sound direction
+Amazing production value & animation( that free2play money ain't no joke)
+fun script, set piece moments and interesting lore that's only been hinted on so far
+great direction...am talking actual great directing not that crap animegaf calls good directing from hacks

-put some clothes on morrigan & this would be a perfect first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom