• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Grayman

If I finish up my assignment tonight I should be playing. Hopefully all of yesterdays issues are ironed out.
~Kinggi~ said:
Yeah. Hard to explain why though. Think its more immersive when not concerned with performance.
Your mouse and maybe gamepad since id put a lot of effort into it is doubly connected to the action.

No_Style

EvilDick34 said:
Becuase PC's get fucked royally for console *peasants*. That is why, i'm of the belief that development of a game that is coming out for all 3 platforms needs to start on the PC and then down ported to consoles to avoid this problem.

Don't blame the other platforms for this. If id Software really cared about getting it right on PC, they would have put in the effort to do so.

I bought the PC version, but I'm returning it because id Software did a lousy job on this version. Simple as that.

garath

D6AMIA6N said:
Why is it that every multi-plat OT turns into a PC troubleshooting clinic? It brings nothing to the conversation about the actual game. If this is what it takes to be a part of the PC "master race" then thank god I gave up on PC gaming years ago.

Jeez. Relax. If it was the 360 version with problems it would be plastered all over the thread day 1 also. It'll calm down in a day or so. It already has quite a bit.

No_Style said:
Don't blame the other platforms for this. If id Software really cared about getting it right on PC, they would have put in the effort to do so.

I bought the PC version, but I'm returning it because id Software did a lousy job on this version. Simple as that.

I am blaming the consoles for this. id focused solely on making this game as solid as possible on the consoles and made Rage an afterthought on PC. If you start a game on PC first, you iron out tons of bugs for a million different hardware configs which means in theory it should make it that much easier to port over to the wonder twins.

epmode

Guy has a point though. There really should be a PC tech thread for nearly everything released on the platform. That stuff is meaningless to at least 50% of the people in official threads yet it overwhelms discussion about the game itself.

And no, it doesn't go away quickly. The Deus Ex thread was a mess for a long time.

(and yes, I have a gaming PC. Haven't installed Rage yet)

For what it's worth, I'm playing on PC and have had zero issues. I'm really absorbed in the world of the game, having fun with the car battles, loving the gunplay, and the wingstick is so much fun. A lot of the characters are likable and I actually care about them. Plus, John Goodman does a voice and that's just so awesome.

There's been a lot of negativity, and some is justifiable, but I thought I'd throw in some positive impressions.

aeolist

Banned
ValleyJoe said:
So after totally uninstalling the radeon drivers, running driver sweeper, and installing the newest drivers again, the game is now running beautifully. I've been lazy lately and just been overwriting ati drivers as they come out rather than fully uninstalling first. Guess I learned my lesson. Uninstall always. Massive improvement.
It's because when you have the latest driver and go to install the Rage update it doesn't see the display driver portion of the install as a newer version so it doesn't load. You have to start from a clean slate.

Nvidia or id or Bethesda needs to get a fucking update/driver out that nips this awful texture pop-in, in the ass, it is so goddamn awful that it is taking my enjoyment away from an other wise fun experience.

Derrick01

Banned
D6AMIA6N said:
Why is it that every multi-plat OT turns into a PC troubleshooting clinic? It brings nothing to the conversation about the actual game. If this is what it takes to be a part of the PC "master race" then thank god I gave up on PC gaming years ago.

I know the peasants don't usually care about the nobility's problems but unless the mods make a seperate thread for every game this is all we've got to share solutions to problems.

Basically what I'm saying is deal with it until most of the kinks get ironed out and we can all talk about the game. Because if we can't play it then we can't talk about it either.

D6AMIA6N

epmode said:
Guy has a point though. There really should be a PC tech thread for nearly everything released on the platform. That stuff is meaningless to at least 50% of the people in official threads yet it overwhelms discussion about the game itself.

And no, it doesn't go away quickly. The Deus Ex thread was a mess for a long time.

(and yes, I have a gaming PC. Haven't installed Rage yet)

YES

Seriously it's really not a big deal, but when you haven't played a game on a PC since Diablo released, yet can name several chip sets, processors, etc., it get's old fast. Especially when all you really want to know is what people think of the game. PC tech thread sounds like a good idea.

Derrick01 said:
I know the peasants don't usually care about the nobility's problems but unless the mods make a seperate thread for every game this is all we've got to share solutions to problems.

Basically what I'm saying is deal with it until most of the kinks get ironed out and we can all talk about the game. Because if we can't play it then we can't talk about it either.

Point taken.

Peterthumpa

D6AMIA6N said:
YES

Seriously it's really not a big deal, but when you haven't played a game on a PC since Diablo released, yet can name several chip sets, processors, etc., it get's old fast. Especially when all you really want to know is what people think of the game. PC tech thread sounds like a good idea.
Good idea. Will try to create one tonight.

D6AMIA6N said:
YES

Maybe we should make an OT for console and one OT for PC. How about that? Since you want these threads just to be about console.

felipepl said:
Ok, I'm about to hit the purchase button 'cause clusterfucked or not, this game look really fun and I really dig the settings.

Questions though:

I've got a GTX580 and the latest 285.38 "Battlefield" beta drivers. Am I good?

I see people from the red side claiming that after this latest driver update, they're running @ 60FPS now. Is this the case with NVIDIA too?

Is the texture loading problem bad on NVIDIA's hardware to hinder gameplay?

When the textures are correctly loaded... are they good enough? Saw some pictures which (supposedly) had their textures loaded in the right manner and they were kinda low res anyway.

Textures are crap, but it'll run good.

Accidentally shipped this to my parents house. Well, I guess there is a little time for smoke to clear. I got it on PC and planned to return it based off the early sky is falling stuff.

datamage

Played for about a good hour and a half. Running great on my setup (i7 2600k/GTX 580 BF3 beta drivers)- 1080p/4xAA 60fps without a single drop or stutter. Texture pop-in is there, but nowhere as bad as those videos posted earlier. They pop in very quick, almost like a quick flicker. Obviously, I'd prefer for it not to happen at all, but it's not horrible.

Here are a couple of shots:

JRW

felipepl said:
Ok, I'm about to hit the purchase button 'cause clusterfucked or not, this game look really fun and I really dig the settings.

Questions though:

I've got a GTX580 and the latest 285.38 "Battlefield" beta drivers. Am I good?

I see people from the red side claiming that after this latest driver update, they're running @ 60FPS now. Is this the case with NVIDIA too?

Is the texture loading problem bad on NVIDIA's hardware to hinder gameplay?

When the textures are correctly loaded... are they good enough? Saw some pictures which (supposedly) had their textures loaded in the right manner and they were kinda low res anyway.

Im running a single GTX 480 + 285.38 and the game runs at a solid 60fps @ 1920x1080, the texture loading is far less obvious on Nvidia you only get glimpses of it at the sides of the screen if you happen to move the mouse quickly.

I also recorded this video in Fraps @ 60fps if you (or anyone) wants to see how it runs on Nvidia Link (128mb .AVI)

P.S. I hate how Youtube re-encodes 60fps video to 30fps in case anyone is wondering why I didn't just upload it there.

mik83kuu

Banned
EvilDick34 said:
I am blaming the consoles for this. id focused solely on making this game as solid as possible on the consoles and made Rage an afterthought on PC.

So how is it the console's fault again? Does this make any more sense to you:

I am blaming the racing tracks for this. Ferrari focused solely on making this car as solid as possible on the tracks and made the car an afterthought on public roads.

I find it funny how even your own post explains how it's id's fault:

EvilDick34 said:
If you start a game on PC first, you iron out tons of bugs for a million different hardware configs which means in theory it should make it that much easier to port over to the wonder twins.

I mean, assuming the consoles didn't make this game, but id did.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
CrankyKong said:
I gotta wait til my copy ships from the UK which might be as long as two weeks
Hope you lucky bastards enjoy it

ATI users will be playing it around the same time you are at this rate.

Peterthumpa

JRW said:
Im running a single GTX 480 + 285.38 and the game runs at a solid 60fps @ 1920x1080, the texture loading is far less obvious on Nvidia you only get glimpses of it at the sides of the screen if you happen to move the mouse quickly.

I also recorded this video in Fraps @ 60fps if you (or anyone) wants to see how it runs on Nvidia Link (128mb .AVI)

P.S. I hate how Youtube re-encodes 60fps video to 30fps in case anyone is wondering why I didn't just upload it there.
Good enough, purchased :D
PS.: holy shit, forgot about the size of this thing. Megatextures indeed. My 2 MB connection shall suffer.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Stahsky said:
ATI users will be playing it around the same time you are at this rate.
no. ATI users are playing it right now at 60 fps. they would have been at midnight if ATI had uploaded the wrong drivers yesterday.

Got my 360 copy early this afternoon prior to go to work. Is there pop-in issues with the 360 version? any known issues outside of people crying over 3 disks that is.

highrider

Banned
just wanted to say, sucks for the pc guys. hope they get it sorted quickly. also thanks for the actual game impressions from those that posted them. bout to fire up the ps3 version. this thread makes it sound terribad, but i'm betting i'll be having fun. i'm going to force myself to just play it lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
D6AMIA6N said:

Every multi-plat OT does not get turned into a PC troubleshooting clinic. Any time there are major technical problems with a game, regardless of platform, it turns into a troubleshooting clinic and rightfully so.

delta25

Banned
The game is amazing thus far, I really hope id isn't discouraged by the general negative feed back from the PC community. There's a lot of potential to turn Rage into a great series.

I've got it, give us console folks Rage and let the PC folk have Doom.

Good deal?

GTX 560ti and it's running super smooth. I did force V-Sync and triple buffering in NvInspector. I can spin as fast as I can and I detect zero texture pop in. It's the most beautiful low-res game I've ever seen. I really hope we get a texture pack option someday (even if it's half a terabyte), but it definitely looks good enough to enjoy playing. You just can't torture yourself by staring at the walls.

OK. Uninstalled previous ATI drivers, restarted, installed the performance driver, restarted (so that damned AMD External events service could start). Configured CCC to force V-sync, enabled triple buffering and set texture filtering to high quality. Modified the launch options to remove the intro videos too, for the hell of it.

End result from 5 minutes in game? Flawless victory.

No tearing and solid 60fps. I do still see some texture loading, but its at about Gears 3 levels so no biggie.

Cyrillus

Just got an email from IntKeys that had the subject "RAGE !!", I open it thinking it is my key come early, and it reads "Rage and Fifa 2012 are available now! Order your copies today!"

RAGE !! indeed.

pa22word

kx11 said:
i'm going to be the only person here to say it

60fps + fps = disaster

2gu0b2c.jpg

And yeah, the new drivers worked for me on my rig (i7 960, 8GB DDR3, 5870 1GB). Played it for about an hour and had a blast.

ShdwDrake

Banned
pickle said:
just wanted to say, sucks for the pc guys. hope they get it sorted quickly. also thanks for the actual game impressions from those that posted them. bout to fire up the ps3 version. this thread makes it sound terribad, but i'm betting i'll be having fun. i'm going to force myself to just play it lol.
Read ^the thread... It's sorted.

JRW said:
Recorded this quick video with FRAPS using an i7 920 / GTX 480 w/ 285.38 drivers. Game runs great and is fun to play.

It's to bad Youtube re-encodes 60fps video down to 30fps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H9y6OhUKgQ&feature=channel_video_title&hd=1
Fuck me stupid and call me Bad Irene, that game looks great, hell the detail in looks amazing, and personally I don't mind if it's a shepherded expereience. That hotel room really looks like a hotel room and not just some rooms with chairs, talk about the detail.

So I'm confused, why are the reviews across the board? Is it a tech thing or mostly gameplay issues?

Now to find the cd key site with the lowest price! How big is the PC install?

epmode

Zefah said:
Every multi-plat OT does not get turned into a PC troubleshooting clinic. Any time there are major technical problems with a game, regardless of platform, it turns into a troubleshooting clinic and rightfully so.
Eh, it's different with PC stuff. Even when a game is working properly, the thread will be cluttered with people going on about different AA settings, forcing triple-buffering, getting rid of that intermittent stutter, complaining about mouse acceleration, et cetera.

We wouldn't lose anything by relegating that stuff to a separate thread.

Top Bottom