• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Gave the new AMD drivers a shot and they fixed most of my issues. Game runs very smooth now but I still get some texture lag. Not nearly as bad as it was before the drivers.

jett

D-Member
ShdwDrake said:
Read ^the thread... It's sorted.

It's sorted if you're on Nvidia or on a high-end ATI card. If you have an ATI card that meets id's recommended requirements it's not sorted at all.

kamspy

Well good on Ati's part for getting their shit together day 1.

Hopefully everyone can now start enjoy what is the most refreshing FPS I've played in years. I've never been so happy to do sidequests just because the combat is that frickin awesome.

Don't let the Debbie Downers get you down people. Buy this game and love it. It's awesome.

datamage said:
Played for about a good hour and a half. Running great on my setup (i7 2600k/GTX 580 BF3 beta drivers)- 1080p/4xAA 60fps without a single drop or stutter. Texture pop-in is there, but nowhere as bad as those videos posted earlier. They pop in very quick, almost like a quick flicker. Obviously, I'd prefer for it not to happen at all, but it's not horrible.

Go to your "base" folder.

Create a file named "rageconfig.cfg"

type inside:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart

save it and start rage

Carmack & Willits said they would do it before release; the console version uses 4k x 4k (loaded) textures, but the PC version should/would use 8k x 8k, and after release they would tweak it to use 16k x 16k - but no, the PC version shipped using 4k x 4k textures like on consoles thus it has the exact same (bad) pop in as on consoles.

But why wait for Carmack? Tweak it yourself now!

Note: you will likely need a lot of RAM (maybe VRAM as well), for example at least 4GBs.
If you have a significant amount of RAM you might even want to try to use 16384 (16k) values instead of 8192. However not everyone had a success doing that, while for most people 8192 worked fine.

Good luck, and anyone that tries it please report back your experience :)

edit: the post has been edited, I now suggest 8192 as the default value.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
epmode said:
Eh, it's different with PC stuff. Even when a game is working properly, the thread will be cluttered with people going on about different AA settings, forcing triple-buffering, getting rid of that intermittent stutter, complaining about mouse acceleration, et cetera.

We wouldn't lose anything by relegating that stuff to a separate thread.

I don't disagree! It's funny because we had a separate "performance" thread for The Witcher 2, which is still PC exclusive.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i installed ATIs new driver at great risk (6990M)

omg install worked

omg
omg

"Rage has stopped working"

fuck off

i don't even know what the menu looks like yet and i've owned the game for 22 hours

kamspy said:
Well good on Ati's part for getting their shit together day 1.

Hopefully everyone can now start enjoy what is the most refreshing FPS I've played in years. I've never been so happy to do sidequests just because the combat is that frickin awesome.

Don't let the Debbie Downers get you down people. Buy this game and love it. It's awesome.

It just crashed on me now but I was having a blast with the game.

Geoff9920

rage%202011-10-04%2021-53-03-89.jpg

Am I the only one getting this issue?

jett said:
It's sorted if you're on Nvidia or on a high-end ATI card. If you have an ATI card that meets id's recommended requirements it's not sorted at all.

Oh dear. I mean, BF3 runs very smoothly in the beta for me, but I was kind of hoping for Rage to be the one to showcase my little Radeon 5650 HD 1GB. A little disappointed to hear such a thing, especially as you said, Jett, with the released system requirements being quite humble.

GeoramA

2 hours in and I just got my buggy. Hope I'm not flying through this.

But goddamn if I'm not having a blast. The gunplay is just perfect.

Peterthumpa

Cyrillus said:
Just got an email from IntKeys that had the subject "RAGE !!", I open it thinking it is my key come early, and it reads "Rage and Fifa 2012 are available now! Order your copies today!"

RAGE !! indeed.
Well, doesn't that means that you should receive your key anytime now?

Wallach

angular graphics said:

type inside:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
vt_restart

save it and start rage

Carmack & Willits said they would do it before release; the console version uses 4k x 4k (loaded) textures, but the PC version should/would use 8k x 8k, and after release they would tweak it to use 16k x 16k - but no, the PC version shipped using 4k x 4k textures like on consoles thus it has the exact same (bad) pop in as on consoles.

Note: you will likely need a lot of RAM (maybe VRAM as well), for example more than 4GBs.
If you have just 4GBs of RAM, or if you notice that some parts aren't loading instead of 16384 use the value 8192. In fact if you have second thoughts, you might want to first test it with the value 8192, because it will definitely make a noticeable difference, and it should work on all modern gaming computers. And then see if you can handle 16384 as well.

Well, this didn't seem to do much to the texture quality but it sure as hell seemed to defeat most of my texture pop-in, as well as fix some stuttering I was getting when turning around in a few spots (like by where you start) that seemed to go away when I stopped turning. Using 8192 on 4GB of system RAM; I'm going to double it and try again.

Edit - Yeah, seemed choppy on 16384, sticking with 8192.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
angular graphics said:

type inside:

vt_restart

save it and start rage

Note: you will likely need a lot of RAM (maybe VRAM as well), for example more than 4GBs.
If you have just 4GBs of RAM, or if you notice that some parts aren't loading instead of 16384 use the value 8192. In fact if you have second thoughts, you might want to first test it with the value 8192, because it will definitely make a noticeable difference, and it should work on all modern gaming computers. And then see if you can handle 16384 as well.

This sounds awesome. I'm itching to get off work and install the new ATI drivers, try your tweak, and play meself some RAGE finally. I went to bed in a rather bitter mood last night, so I really hope everything goes well tonight.

I think I'll restart on Hard, actually, assuming everything works right.

george_us

In terms of gunplay this game absolutely SHAMES every first person shooter this generation has to offer. Absolutely shames them all.

Wallach said:
Well, this didn't seem to do much to the texture quality but it sure as hell seemed to defeat most of my texture pop-in, as well as fix some stuttering I was getting when turning around in a few spots (like by where you start) that seemed to go away when I stopped turning. Using 8192 on 4GB of system RAM.

So it works, as it does according to my tests. Awesome :)

And yes I should clarify this value is the size of the megatexture being loaded to memory, so it shouldn't affect the quality at all.

You just put a bigger chunk of megatexture loaded into the memory => far less likely to experience pop in.

Wallach said:
Well, this didn't seem to do much to the texture quality but it sure as hell seemed to defeat most of my texture pop-in, as well as fix some stuttering I was getting when turning around in a few spots (like by where you start) that seemed to go away when I stopped turning. Using 8192 on 4GB of system RAM; I'm going to double it and try again.
it's weird. i had stuttering like you described. i tweaked nothing. it went away by itself. i wonder if that's part of the auto benchmarking whatsit.

i've had a couple of crashes on loading in the next level, but nothing too annoying because it auto saves right before loading in. everything else was hunky dory until i got to wellspring.

the people flicker like crazy at times. i managed to get a snap of what they look like for very brief moments when they don't look like people.

something is wrong with the people of wellspring.

also, should i be able to get into the first sewer in Wellspring right when i first arrive? i have the sewer thing installed, but i did it after first starting the game. my kit showed up just fine... but i'm concerned i can't go sewer diving without starting a new game. which would suck.

so i'm hoping i have to get like, a sewer spanner or something.

x3sphere

angular graphics said:

type inside:

vt_restart

save it and start rage

Thanks dude, this works perfectly. I'm experiencing NO texture loading at all now.

x3sphere said:
Thanks dude, this works perfectly. I'm experiencing NO texture loading at all now.

And thank you for reporting back :)

If more people find it works, it should be put in the OP then!

It's what id said they would do with the PC version, but they didn't bother to actually do it *sigh*

Chiggs

Finally got it working properly. Required the use of Driver Cleaner.

Did I mention the double barrel shotgun is badass?

Hawk269

angular graphics said:
So it works, as it does according to my tests. Awesome :)

And yes I should clarify this value is the size of the megatexture being loaded to memory, so it shouldn't affect the quality at all.

You just put a bigger chunk of megatexture loaded into the memory => far less likely to experience pop in.

If you have 3gig Vram GPU's and 8gigs of regular ram, should I increase those value higher? And if so, what would that figure be?

pa22word

Wallach said:

Edit - Yeah, seemed choppy on 16384, sticking with 8192.

Just tried on a machine with 8 GB DDR3 and 1 GB dedicated VRAM (HD 5870); it crashed after about a min of gameplay.

eastmen

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Rage unless you're an ATI owner. Nvidia or consoles you're good though.

Runs fine on my system

5760x1080p 2x fsaa

radeon 6950 flashed to 6970 2GB , phenom II x6 1090T at 3.8ghz , 8 gigs of ram and its installed on a vertex 2 ssd .

ced

Holy shit @ 60 FPS, it took an hour to adjust but man is it awesome.

This game is pretty good actually about 2 hours in.

Uggg.

Cancelled my preorder today after reading about the length and the lack of openness. I think I was expecting too much. Ill save this game for when I upgrade my PC near the holiday season. Dark Souls, Batman, BF3, Uncharted and then Oblivion. I wish I had more spare time.

Hawk269 said:
If you have 3gig Vram GPU's and 8gigs of regular ram, should I increase those value higher? And if so, what would that figure be?

Actually I think you can set it to whatever value you want. Carmack talked about 8k and 16k and I happened to test these two values, but I don't think you can't use something like 6000 or 20000 to customize it for your PC's memory. But I could be wrong...

That being said, I don't think there's any practical improvement above 16k, so just leave it at that (if you can handle it, or put it to 8k otherwise) :p

Wallach

pa22word said:
Just tried on a machine with 8 GB DDR3 and 1 GB dedicated VRAM (HD 5870); it crashed after about a min of gameplay.

Fuck, it crashed on me too after loading a couple different saves to check different areas.

Postman

Banned
yeah I got the game running 60 fps with minimal texture pop in. but i get this weird like noise line when turning .. its like tearing but worse.

angular graphics said:
And thank you for reporting back :)

If more people find it works, it should be put in the OP then!

It's what id said they would do with the PC version, but they didn't bother to actually do it *sigh*
i only have four gigs of ram so i tried the 16k and the 8k setting. the 16k setting unsurprisingly didn't work so well at all, but the 8k setting gives me much less pop up with no performance hit. so thanks :)

butts

Everytime I start this it tries to install the "VC Redist Package", plus it just froze when trying to load a new area. What the christ

pakkit

Banned
I think what's going to split this game is the pacing. Despite id's pedigree, the game doesn't lead you from action sequence to action sequence.

The main story missions are damned good, and it's during these encounters that the game really clicks. But there is a lot more to do in RAGE, and most of these extras operate at a much more methodical pace.

Side missions are more like scenarios, usually in the overworld or fractions of main levels. A lot of the questing involves traveling from one area of the map to another. There is SPOILER LISTING THINGS YOU CAN DO IN GAME
gambling, card games, collectibles, customization, trading, checkpoint racing, racing, time trials, job boards for more side quests, crafting
...but all of these are more bite-sized snacks compared to the bigger missions. But RAGE doesn't adequately let you know which missions are the big ones and which ones are the gimmies, so you're often left to make your own fun while the game slowly builds up to the bigger levels. "Make your own fun," to me, is a sign of bad pacing or direction.

datamage

angular graphics said:

type inside:

vt_restart

save it and start rage

So I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but this seems to have made the pop-in even less noticeable. Thanks a ton!

I had to use 8192, 16384 made my performance crawl. (1.5GB VRAM / 8GB RAM)

On a side note, I had low expectations for this game, and so far I'm having fun. I'm digging the characters in the game, as well as the aesthetics. Music/sound is pretty nice as well.

angular graphics said:

type inside:

vt_restart

save it and start rage

This is what happens when I use 16384. I have 12 GB of DDR3 in my system. I'll try 8192 now.

EDIT: 8192 works great. Fixes the stuttering after the textures load. (The game will get some slight stutter when the texture's start loading.)

DopeyFish said:
i installed ATIs new driver at great risk (6990M)

omg install worked

omg
omg

"Rage has stopped working"

fuck off

i don't even know what the menu looks like yet and i've owned the game for 22 hours
make sure you either have forced vsync AND triple buffering on.

Top Bottom