• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Online II Open Beta and Information Thread

Xiaoki

Like other people, RO was my first MMO as well.

So, I do want to play this for a bit nostalgia and also a bit of curiosity.

I did like the original concept behind the first RO2, too bad the Korean RO players didnt like it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A little too late, ROII... a little too late :(

Arksy

The consensus among my guild who have played the previous beta is that it's pretty much a clone of Vanilla WoW without the polish.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The consensus among my guild who have played the previous beta is that it's pretty much a clone of Vanilla WoW without the polish.

So then it could be like "Vanilla" WoW when the game gets released?

Did any of your guildmates play WoW in Beta?

MrDaravon

Isn't part of the reason that this was delayed for years from the last beta to fix it up? It could potentially be better/different now.

I wish they kept the old artstyle... at least it's better than the first RO2 showing.

tumblr_lpnmxzvNqA1qkfrufo1_1280.jpg

WHAT'S THIS???

Totally not how I exactly what RO2 should be like. Even Gate of the World & Legend of the Second was a complete failure.

They really shouldn't have dwelled into the 3D/3D crossover like other typical MMO's out there.

Ragnarok Online was just - - golden.

I really agree with this. I spent 8 years in RO1, jumping from low rate private server to another low rate private server as they died. There was something about the gameplay that kept hooking me in.

This looks like every 3D MMO ever made. Nothing is distinguishing it from WoW, Warhammer, Age of Conan etc other than the graphics.

Piers

Awesome.

But won't bother because everyone will probably still solo and refuse to party unless you slaved away on good gear.

I really agree with this. I spent 8 years in RO1, jumping from low rate private server to another low rate private server as they died. There was something about the gameplay that kept hooking me in.

This looks like every 3D MMO ever made. Nothing is distinguishing it from WoW, Warhammer, Age of Conan etc other than the graphics.

I haven't seen much of RO2, but if they keeps the manual attribute allocation and the old skill tree system, that's what I really liked about RO's gameplay. Character building made the game so much more diverse.

Also, as opposed to the billions of quest in WoW, items were more valuable in RO. Getting that Poring Hat to look cute in an anime stylish game is such a draw =3. Everyone and their mom has every gear in WoW, and 99% of them don't even look good.

Midou

I had a friend I played RO with for years try it, he has played a ton of bad games online with friends, like White Knight Chronicles, but still hated this RO2.

Which, once again, is a pity. The original RO2 was on its way to being a great follow up, but they literally just stopped implementing features half way. Most skills didn't work for years. They could have had a chance if they continued with that instead of just making a generic trash MMO.

That project R1 looks amazing too. With sprites like that, they could have had a better chance at making a proper follow up as well. That was half the charm of the game.

Kitoro

Could've called this Free Realms 2 and fooled me from that trailer.

Crazy timing, however, because I ALMOST decided to check on whatever happened to this game a few days ago. I remember getting hyped of a screenshot of what was once RO2 with a girl wearing bunny ears way back in around 2007.

wrowa

Did this come out of nowhere? I was casually following the game, simply because I was curios when Gravity will finally be able to release it. I was aware that it's been in beta for Korea for awhile, but I completely missed fhe news that it was picked up for an English release. Let alone that the English version is already open beta ready.

When was this announced?

Could've called this Free Realms 2 and fooled me from that trailer.

Crazy timing, however, because I ALMOST decided to check on whatever happened to this game a few days ago. I remember getting hyped of a screenshot of what was once RO2 with a girl wearing bunny ears way back in around 2007.

The first showing of RO2 was very poor.

I remember seeing demos of it where one guy was stuck attacking a poring for what seems to be several hours before killing it. Then there was that horrid battle music that comes on when you fight. WHO THE FUCK PUTS BATTLE MUSIC IN MMOS?

Midou

Did this come out of nowhere? I was casually following the game, simply because I was curios when Gravity will finally be able to release it. I was aware that it's been in beta for Korea for awhile, but I completely missed fhe news that it was picked up for an English release. Let alone that the English version is already open beta ready.

When was this announced?

It's basically because it's an Asian version with english, not an actual north american release.

Sora_N

I'm gonna try this, but I start school in January again lol. Dammit! Wonder if they'll be F2P or P2P again.

Classes seem so bland, and hard to tell if they're the same or different from the original RO. Anyone know?

Haven't been able to find out any info on this but is this going to be F2P or will it be a monthly sub?

Just wondering since I've been thinking about dabbling into FFXIV, but now that this is coming I dunno.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I doubt this can survive as P2P, maybe an upfront cost with additional microtransactions.

Of course, ROII has been stuck in development hell specifically because of Gravity's shitty decisions so who knows.

I doubt this can survive as P2P, maybe an upfront cost with additional microtransactions.

Of course, ROII has been stuck in development hell specifically because of Gravity's shitty decisions so who knows.
That's what I figured, so here's hoping. It'd definitely save me money from having to commit to FFXIV's, what, $15 a month?

Raide

I'm gonna try this, but I start school in January again lol. Dammit! Wonder if they'll be F2P or P2P again.

Classes seem so bland, and hard to tell if they're the same or different from the original RO. Anyone know?

Not sure if they will do the same with the current RO. Free for everyone but if you pay you get increased XP, Drop rates on items etc.

Ezalc

How come, man? I thought every Brazilian and their dogs had played it, haha.

I don't know I just didn't play it. I think the original you had to pay to play, I was in the US at the time and didn't know about private servers and things like that. So I never had a chance to try it out.

Sora_N

Think I'm gonna try Aco -> Priest or Thief -> Assassin. Swordman -> (unsure which) sounds good too... It mainly depends on how the characters look though, haven't been able to find a lot of screens.

Platy

Playing MMORPG in closed betas is the perfect way to play .... when it becomes payed than you jump out.

No addiction .. no playing forever

How come, man? I thought every Brazilian and their dogs had played it, haha.

He is compensating for me .... I was in the beta iRO and in the payed iRO in the brazilian guild of most people that would be hired by Level Up to bring the game here ... that "lyra lug" or something like that (ragnarok's Reggie) was a close friend of mine xD

And I almost got second place for a "miss ragnarok" forum contest with my MALE CHAR ! eheh
...I was DQ when they noticed it was a male char =/

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You start of as one of the 5 main jobs: Acolyte, Archer, Swordman, Thief or Magician.
After that each main job can, at level 20, branch out to a 2nd job. Two for each.

At level 50 you can choose between staying Neutral, Light or Dark. And your job will be for instance Dark Warrior or Light Monk and you will have new skills unlocked dependant on your choice.

That last part is interesting

DJIzana

Man, RO2: Gate of the World sucked so bad it's almost unbelievable, I hated it so much that I stopped caring about the project at all.

Legend of the Second sounds (and looks) way better... I'll have to give it a try after my finals!

Oh. My. Fucking. God. Scrap RO2, I want this and I want it now

Too bad it's MIA for over a year now. =(

Top Bottom