• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raiders of the Broken Planet (MercurySteam, PC/XB1/PS4 - asymmetric adventure)

FelipeMGM

I worked on this.

I wish they showed more than this because I think people are definitely getting wrong impressions of what this really is.

From the concept art I was really hyped, but this reveal is a disaster.

Im still interested and will keep an eye on it, but I bet they lost a bunch of potential buyers with this weird reveal

I really don't know how to feel about this, I was so anticipating the next game from MercurySteam, after all I loved Castlevania Lords of Shadow Saga, and after hearing the rumors about them pitching a Metroid game and the older rumors about Contra reboot, I was even more excited for this, I thought to myself they may go Sci-Fi and that would be great.

And they did go Sci-fi, but I expected something heavy on Story and Single Player, I am not sure how I feel about it being MP focused, and I am not that assured by their word regarding the SP existing, I don't want a mesh mash campaign, I want a good SP campaign, but I'll keep an eye and see how things unfolds.

This reveal was so botched that I didn't even knew it happened until now out of sheer coincidence. What an underwhelming announcement this was. A game that's coming later this year with hardly a screenshot and no trailer or gameplay shown whatsoever. Also, it's multiplayer only but it really isn't. Hell they couldn't make the reveal without being confusing in the platforms it's being launched on!

And on a more personal thought: I'm not a fan of the art style, especially the character designs. But that's a different matter. I was a big fan of Lords of Shadow 1 so even after the flawed but okay LoS2 I'll keep an eye on this thing.

Better luck on the next reveal, MercurySteam. You blew this one.

Ashtar

Soooooo
Squad based ? Pve and pvp? Ugly characters
Looks interesting still not entirely sure of the premise
It definitely looked like shield guy could either by a player character or fought which makes me thing pvp
Combat looked cool, I hope they have a reasonable deep combo system

Alexious

Soooooo
Squad based ? Pve and pvp? Ugly characters
Looks interesting still not entirely sure of the premise
It definitely looked like shield guy could either by a player character or fought which makes me thing pvp
Combat looked cool, I hope they have a reasonable deep combo system

I played it at Gamescom 2016. It's essentially cooperative (up to four players), but anyone can opt to play against you as a Raider partnering with all the NPCs. Hence it becomes 4v1(+AI).

The gameplay felt satisfying already all those months ago, I'm just not sure how much content they'll have at launch.

ArjanN

I played it at Gamescom 2016. It's essentially cooperative (up to four players), but anyone can opt to play against you as a Raider partnering with all the NPCs. Hence it becomes 4v1(+AI).

The gameplay felt satisfying already all those months ago, I'm just not sure how much content they'll have at launch.

Sounds pretty interesting, there's only really been a few games that experimented with that like RE6 and Left 4 Dead. Oh, and Dark Souls I guess.

I also dig the 'ugly' character design.

EDIT: picked up a Steam beta key.

cuate

Banned
krang prime?

image_raiders_of_the_broken_planet-35286-3573_0007.jpg

Alexious

Sounds pretty interesting, there's only really been a few games that experimented with that like RE6 and Left 4 Dead. Oh, and Dark Souls I guess.

I also dig the 'ugly' character design.

EDIT: picked up a Steam beta key.

Yeah, the art style is pretty cool and the combat is fun. I don't quite understand why there's basically zero interest in this game so far.

Sounder2

Was going to give it a go, but seemingly requires giving access to a company to post to twitter on your behalf. Eeek.

Will keep an eye out though, enjoyed Clive Barker's Jericho and remember that Mercury Steam developed that one.

Just follow the instructions and then do the exact opposite when you are done. I did it then just went to twitter > settings > apps and revoked the access.

The way it seemingly works is you can queue for all of them at the same time. After about 2 minutes of having all three selected, it found a match. I'm on PC though.

Thats basically what i assumed was happening...im queued for all three with cross plat enabled but ive been waiting for a while with not much signs of life from the client :p it just says matchcmaking and from what i can tell im pretty sure im queued for all three because they all appear selected and i clicked on each once to queue up...but like i said...no signs of life. I actually went, grabbed my phone from the charger, went to gaf, found this thread browsing lol typed this msg....and yea im still the inly person in my party and the match is still matchmaking lol oh well, thats why we have betas lol

On xb1

Is anyone getting into any matches?

I'm playing on Xbox One and i played the intro part but now it's in matchmaking and not much is happening. :(

Xb1 as well...literally just popped for me but everyone queued needs to accept and since its long wait times i think ppl are idling... I just had 2 queues pop and accepted but players are "failing to confirm their precence" or it just says matchmaking halted and drops me from the queue before i can accept.

Hmmm...

I choose adventure and then I see Antagonist - Antagonist. 2017 season - Prologue and Alien myths. I choose all three and now it's showing Matchmaking and just now a match seemed to begin, I had to press ready but another player didn't confirm and the match was gone.

And again now and it said match was halted. And it just keeps doing this. It seems people just don't press ready or something.

luffeN

Sorry to bump this, but I have a beta key for an upcoming closed beta phase (Steam). Dates are TBD. First one to quote me can have the key.

Edit: Gone.

PrinceKee

Anyone recently get a key know when the next time you play are? I got a key and it said I'd get another email with times to play, but still don't know when I can play...

Weston

Played the beta for this for the first time this weekend. Here's what I thought:

Combat- The combat is definitely going to turn a lot of people off of the game, but I loved it. The walking speed is slow and the characters are tanky. Even more so than the Gears of War games. There are dodges and some characters have movement abilities, so the combat is still fast paced and hectic. The focus is on positioning, timing, and teamwork. There are swarms of enemies and they take a lot of damage so having good aim isn't enough to save you. A lot of the guns have small magazines and so you have to mix in melee between shooting. Melee is a huge part of the game. Some of the objectives require executing enemies to steal power. The rock, paper, scissors balance of the melee works well. Dodges beat strikes and cause you enemy to stagger. Strikes interrupt grapples. It takes a few strikes to kill an enemy, but you can chip them down with your gun and finish them with a single strike. Grapples cover a lot of ground and if you try to dodge them you'll get grabbed as soon as you come out of the dodge. Grapples are instant kill. The enemies will dodge, strike, and larger enemies have grapples. Melee combat is extremely punishing, but also really satisfying once you get the hang of it.

Solo Play- Playing this alone is a little rough in it's current form. It's definitely doable and can be pretty fun. The difficulty scales when playing solo. However, the game is definitely designed around coop. You are kind of limited in what characters to pick when you go solo. Picking the wrong character can make it pretty frustrating to play. For instance, one level has a giant flying enemy who never comes low to the ground so if you have a close-ranged character you do very little damage and it takes way too long to kill. Even more than that though, game is focused on dropping in and out of combat and covering you teammates. If you take too much damage you starting limping, at which point you can't use abilities, dodge, or grapple and you strikes are much slower. So you often need to take cover to allow you energy gauge to drain and heal up. If you playing solo being injured can often be death sentence. If you do manage to get away from the enemy and heal up, you may find yourself corned with no way to get past them and not enough DPS to finish them all off. It feels like they need to add some friendly bots in to occasionally take the agro off of you. Not a perfect solution, but I can't really recommend playing it solo right now.

Matchmaking- I don't typically don't like playing cooperatively, but I enjoyed it in Raiders. Finding matches works pretty well. You can queue for multiple missions and Antagonist mode at the same time and you'll just be put in the first available. Queue was typically under 5 minutes which isn't back considering the small population of the beta. There's really no insensitive to play selfishly. There's no XP or loot so finishing the mission is the only thing that matters. There's no scoreboard to tell everyone who is playing well and who's playing poorly. There's a simple little conversation wheel to say "need ammo" or "group up" if you don't like voice chat.

Antagonist Mode- This is the asymmetric multiplayer mode where you play as a dark version of one of the characters and try to force them to fail a mission. This adds a lot of fun to the missions. The antagonist can add a lot of pressure to the attacking team. You can choose between different points to try and flank the Raiders. Against newer players, rushing in and grapple spamming is way too effective. If the Raider team is organized you can really shut down the antagonist. Energy management is really important as an antagonist. If your energy raises too high you become visible through walls to all enemies. This is important for Raiders too, but they have teammates to back them up. Stealth is much more important when playing as an antagonist. The only rewards antagonists get is points that go onto a leader board. So if you want to grind towards new weapons you'll have to play coop.

Rewards- Not a big fan of how these are handled. Playing solo you only get a reward the first time you finish a mission. In coop you have to split the loot up. There's always three pools: Character points (used to draw cards to upgrade character you used for that mission), Faction points (draw cards for any character in your characters faction), Money (buy new guns you have blueprints for or unlock new characters). The players select which one they want and have to split them between them. So if someone else picks gold you get half as much. If two other people pick gold it's split three ways. If you're lucky there will be a fourth pool which is a weapon blueprint. If more than one person selects the blue print then the wheel spins and one person gets it while the others get nothing for completing the mission. Even if you get a blue print you still need a lot of money to make the gun. It's really interesting. You can play mind games with people and it's tricky to decide which is worth more to you, but grinding gold is slow and having to compete with coop partners to get more gold can be really frustrating.

Story- The story is dumb and fun. The characters all hate each other. If you like anti-heroes then there's a whole cast of them for you. I don't know how much I'll care about the overarching story, but I liked the characters. The story is broken into episodes, campaigns, and seasons. Unlocking characters is tied to the story. Save a character in an mission to unlock him. This character only cares about money so pay money to unlock him or he leaves the team after this mission.

Experien

Ugh, I really hate the Antagonist part. If you can’t do good (either by skill or the Raiders are a good team) then you better enjoy the starter weapons. You can’t get more unless you have a high enough Antagonist tank. The lowest rank for a weapon on two characters are 2 and you start at zero.

This is annoying cause I like Mikah but she needs a better weapon.

Skins are extra money which is a shame since the game costs $40. Kind of regretting it now since it is very hard to get in an antagonist match, let alone multiple ones to level up.

Top Bottom