• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raiders of the Broken Planet (MercurySteam, PC/XB1/PS4 - asymmetric adventure)

Alexious

Exactly, so much negativity these days. Doubt most of the people harping on about asymmetrical multiplayer being shit even bothered to play Evolve, Evolve's problems weren't in the premise of the game, it was a blast when it went smoothly.

Oh so the 3 v 1 shit is just made up? Good job guys.

And it's not going to be a shooter from what I can understand. They're talking about an "asymmetric multiplayer online adventure". From what I reckon, it might be more similar to Fable Legends (in terms of type of game, not specifics) than Evolve.

jonno394

CgF6wHzWQAELuux.jpg

https://twitter.com/mercurysteam/status/720992383400284160

Damn, the guy on the website hasn't translated all to well with the revealed artstyle in my opinion, much preferred the realistic/gritty looking representation that's still on www.mercurysteam.com

Exactly, so much negativity these days. Doubt most of the people harping on about asymmetrical multiplayer being shit even bothered to play Evolve, Evolve's problems weren't in the premise of the game, it was a blast when it went smoothly.

I'll confess that my bitterness stems from this not being Lords of Shadow 3. No, not a terribly popular opinion around these parts, but I loved the first one and thought aspects of the second were really good, just held back by some really bad decisions by the creative director. I was hoping we'd get a third one that would sort of make up for the second one and would look jaw dropping, but alas.

It may be an okay game on its own. I just can't really tell because I can't see shit due to Broken Links.

BiggNife

Yeah, no thanks.

After Evolve I'm pretty convinced there's no effective way to balance asymmetrical multiplayer with uneven teams.

bounchfx

evolve is obviously the first thing that comes to mind, but I dont think there's anything inherently wrong with uneven MP teams. Evolve just did it really, really poorly.

Mr. RHC

I'll confess that my bitterness stems from this not being Lords of Shadow 3. No, not a terribly popular opinion around these parts, but I loved the first one and thought aspects of the second were really good, just held back by some really bad decisions by the creative director. I was hoping we'd get a third one that would sort of make up for the second one and would look jaw dropping, but alas.

It may be an okay game on its own. I just can't really tell because I can't see shit due to Broken Links.

Same here. I was hoping for either that or a spiritual successor of sorts...

But I remember someone saying that MercurySteam was developing 2 games...

Arion

evolve is obviously the first thing that comes to mind, but I dont think there's anything inherently wrong with uneven MP teams. Evolve just did it really, really poorly.

I have never played Evolve but what is people's criticism of it? Was it inherent to the game design and balance? or was it all the dlc pressure before the game even came out?

I have never played Evolve but what is people's criticism of it? Was it inherent to the game design and balance? or was it all the dlc pressure before the game even came out?

All of the above.

Also the game just isn't fun to play after maybe a few matches.

Interested to see where things go.

I know people are not giving them the time of day due to their reputation, but I think they should at least be given a fair shot at this solo attempt.

If it bombs, it bombs. If it's good, then that's good.

MaLDo

3 vs 1.

3 customized players with loadouts.
1 fixed tech-vampire with a cigar that can control a bunch of robots. Those can be upgraded to the big kraken.

Am I right?

Cautiously interested. Loved the original Lords of Shadow game but the incredibly toxic reception the second game got left me avoiding it entirely. I hope MS can turn things around but a multiplayer focused game does not peak my interest so far.

bounchfx

are people already assuming this is a FPS? did they explicitly say what's planned yet?

what I would love to see is them taking their skills from CV and doing a multiplayer action adventure game where three heroes go kill shit and the v1 player is a DM of sorts controlling units like an RTS from above with a certain amount of resources trying to stop them

kadotsu

Banned
This will be an interesting one for science because they'll need to develop time measurement systems that can do femto seconds to measure the time this game has a playerbase.

Alexious

From the press release.

In the Lira Constellation, light years from Earth lies a Broken Planet. Long ago, its inhabitants discovered a powerful ability enhancing substance called Aleph. Today, this Broken Planet is home to the entire Universe’s intergalactic scum and criminal lowlife. All are here to wrest control of the Aleph and thereby control the Universe.

Raiders of the Broken Planet is a Multiplayer Online Asymmetric Adventure: Fight the invaders teaming up with other Raiders, or turn the tables and storm into battle with those invaders fighting at your side!

With its distinctive blend of shooting, brawling and thinking man’s strategy, Raiders of the Broken Planet is a mouth watering proposition to gamers looking for an immersive, cinematic story coupled with intense and epic action.

MercurySteam is also announcing that it will be self-publishing the game as an independent for the first time. The powerful story driven narrative will be delivered episodically, with each part selling at an extremely low and attractive price point. A company spokesman commented “We saw an exciting opportunity with this title to take advantage of digital distribution and offer the game at a much lower entry point than would otherwise have been possible. This model also allows us to work closely with gamers to create something that they can help shape too.”

With this in mind, the company is planning multiple beta programs where players can get in early and help drive the games development. The new teaser site launched today allows players eager to get involved to sign up for the forthcoming beta program and find out the latest information on the games development.

Pejo

Man, this bums me out more than I thought it would. I really liked the gameplay/vistas of the first Lords of Shadow game, I was hoping they'd get to do more things like that. I would have never guessed Evolve Jr.

Multiplayer vs. focused games just aren't my cup of tea. Ah well.

Ydelnae

This reveal is just to throw us off into thinking it's a new IP, but when you finish the first chapter it will be revealed that this is just a Playable Teaser for MGS5

S1BHL5T.jpg

#believe

jonno394

So, proper single player or does the press release just describe a situation where you can play with other players against the npc invaders or against other players alongside the alien invaders?

I worked on this.

I wish they showed more than this because I think people are definitely getting wrong impressions of what this really is.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The powerful story driven narrative will be delivered episodically, with each part selling at an extremely low and attractive price point.

I guess this is anti-marketing speak? Because it's making the game sound awful.

Top Bottom