• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Extraction Coming on Day One with Xbox Game Pass (Console/PC)

Lognor

Banned
Not in the slightest beyond it being an FPS. Even then Siege is better than Extraction by far, unless you only like playing against AI. Honestly it feels like an overpriced mode add on to Siege that was obviously made after Operation Outbreak.

Played the most recent test of the game and it's pretty lackluster. Didn't help that they had code watermarked on the entire screen which made it nearly impossible to see let alone causing headaches.
Okay, thanks for further details. Well, it's free so I'll probably download it and give it a shot. You did with the beta, right?

anthony2690

Banned
I don't feel this game has much excitement behind it, but now it's on game pass I'll probably try it out with some friends.

Game pass is pretty great at bringing an initial player base to a game, and if the game is decent, they will hang about.

& If it isn't, we all got to try out a game we may have been curious about, but not curious enough to drop £45 on and then struggle to convince friends to drop £45 each too. (If it is good)

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Okay, thanks for further details. Well, it's free so I'll probably download it and give it a shot. You did with the beta, right?
I played the technical test (called something else I think) with a friend and we stopped after only an hour as the watermark on screen was ridiculous. Unless you meant something else.

Last edited:
I played the NDA closed beta. Well tried because Ubisoft decided to cover the entire screen with text to avoid footage. Yeah this was pretty much waiting to be announced after me and my friends played it. Not a lot of people liked this game, the price tag even slashed down to 40 USD was an abysmal offering. The gameplay was fucking horrible beyond belief, with kind of a dumb AI, a shitty revive system, and just all in all boring ideas.
So basically this is a case of GamePass coming to the rescue of a mediocre game? Haven't played it myself, but there's been a decent number of other people saying they didn't like what they've played of this so far.

While it's a big get for the service in a sense, I do think it unfortunately paints a misconception with some people that the service is only a dumping ground for bad games. Because anyone who actually does a bit of research and looks at the totality of the games on it and their average MetaCritic scores would see it's generally a very well-curated service with a high amount of 85+ content (including a good few 90+) , and a good majority 75+ or better.

And that's in terms of genuinely good games. But yet still, there's some out there who don't see it that way and I wonder how much gets for new releases that might be big name but the games themselves not enjoyed by a sizable portion of would-be players, plays into that. Even so, this is an overall net positive Day 1 IMO.

Lognor

Banned
So basically this is a case of GamePass coming to the rescue of a mediocre game? Haven't played it myself, but there's been a decent number of other people saying they didn't like what they've played of this so far.

While it's a big get for the service in a sense, I do think it unfortunately paints a misconception with some people that the service is only a dumping ground for bad games. Because anyone who actually does a bit of research and looks at the totality of the games on it and their average MetaCritic scores would see it's generally a very well-curated service with a high amount of 85+ content (including a good few 90+) , and a good majority 75+ or better.

And that's in terms of genuinely good games. But yet still, there's some out there who don't see it that way and I wonder how much gets for new releases that might be big name but the games themselves not enjoyed by a sizable portion of would-be players, plays into that. Even so, this is an overall net positive Day 1 IMO.
Really? I've NEVER hard anyone say that Game Pass is a dumping ground for bad games. In fact, you are hard pressed to find a single bad game on the service! LOL.

If we're just talking about third day one launches, I can think of Outriders (good reviews), The Medium (good, not great, reviews) The Show (good reviews), The Gunk (good, not great, reviews). Stalker looks like it is going to be a good game.

Where have you heard this conception that Game Pass is a dumping ground for bad games? What are some bad games you can actually list that are on Game Pass?

LOL, I feel like I'm in bizarro world

Really? I've NEVER hard anyone say that Game Pass is a dumping ground for bad games. In fact, you are hard pressed to find a single bad game on the service! LOL.

If we're just talking about third day one launches, I can think of Outriders (good reviews), The Medium (good, not great, reviews) The Show (good reviews), The Gunk (good, not great, reviews). Stalker looks like it is going to be a good game.

Where have you heard this conception that Game Pass is a dumping ground for bad games? What are some bad games you can actually list that are on Game Pass?

It was just Sony fans trying thier best to discredit Game Pass as a worthwhile service by calling it a "dumping ground for mediocre games".

Ehhh...well the Hello Neighbor games are on it xD. Seriously though, I've seen it pop up multiple times as an (erroneous) talking point downplaying the service. Some simple research would show those using it as a talking point that, in reality, it's a very strongly curated library of content the vast majority of the time.

IMO I think STALKER 2 will review better than all of those games, especially The Medium and The Gunk. But some of those games, namely Outriders, squandered their good will with bad servers and changing their XP system for the worst. Provided GP gives Extraction a big boost, any changes made to the game should be good & sensible ones that build on top of good reception, not squander it.

Dude it's popped up a good number of times on GAF 🤣, a few other places too. There's been a lot of...hot takes...like that.

Usually always debunked, but at least for a little while a few months ago it felt like a trending talking point.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Already quite a lot of coop shooters on the market, guess it makes sense for Ubi like it did for Back 4 Blood and Outriders. Guarantees a bit of initial player base, hopefully the game is good enough to carry on from there.

OUTRIDERS didn't release on GP. Releasing R6E on the same date as everywhere else means you (should) have a healthy playerbase to entice people to try out this "weird R6S looking co-op thing."

. . .personally I am glad as the videos they have released for this show a co-op shooter that does the grind right (I guess it helps that they already have the foundation in place in R6S? Never really played the thing).

Chukhopops

OUTRIDERS didn't release on GP.
You mean PC GamePass? It was definitely a Day 1 release on console:
I think coop shooters and coop games in general are a good fit for GP, but the market is a bit saturated right now:
- Aliens Fireteam
- Back 4 Blood
- Second Extinction
- The Anacrusis
- R6 Extraction
- Remnant from the ashes
- Outriders
- World War Z
That’s just too much at this point.

I’m not jumping on the gamepass is for trash games bandwagon because I don’t agree with it and there are some pretty average reviewed games I would not of tried but actually ended up enjoying them

In saying that

Extraction is pretty bad when I played it during the beta….the main issue is it’s carried over the janky r6 siege movement but added in faster moving enemies or stuff which requires you to aim in all directions quickly….may not be an issue on pc but it sucked ass on the xbox when I played it and the beta still felt like a game mode on r6 siege instead of a standalone product

This game won’t review well

bender

What time is it?
Words don't do this news justice.

giphy.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OUTRIDERS didn't release on GP.

Yes it did.

WTF is that? It looks horrible? Is that the Rainbow Six game? WTF am I looking at? This is disturbing!

No idea where that's from but it's definitely not Rainbow Six.

So basically this is a case of GamePass coming to the rescue of a mediocre game?

I think this is a case of both Ubi and MS seeing the surge in popularity co-op focused games like Alien Fireteam, Avengers etc have received since coming on Game Pass.

On itself, this game doesn't look like it would have been topping the charts any time soon. With this way, the game has a built in community of millions of people who'll try it via Game Pass and maybe spend some extra money on in-game micro transactions. A win win for Ubisoft.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
You can give me Rainbow Six Extraction for FREE and it would be a waste of my SSD storage. I'm good.

Ozriel

M$FT
How can it be AAA when it’s 40$? GTA Online E&E is coming day 1 on PS Plus which has way more hype and is going to be more active.

The troubling part of this is that you’re actually serious.

Huge? There is a reason why no one cares for this game. It would be huge if the service gets third party AAA games, people care about but that’s not the deal for this service in general.

It had Outriders and MLB The Show day one last year.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You mean PC GamePass? It was definitely a Day 1 release on console:
I think coop shooters and coop games in general are a good fit for GP, but the market is a bit saturated right now:
- Aliens Fireteam
- Back 4 Blood
- Second Extinction
- The Anacrusis
- R6 Extraction
- Remnant from the ashes
- Outriders
- World War Z
That’s just too much at this point.

Yes, GP on PC. I've seen PC centric games not release on console (WH3 for instance) but didn't realize the reverse was true for console compatible games. Odd choice.

. . .as for the co-op shooter space, I think there's more than enough room for it. Other than B4B, the other titles on that list aren't really blowing up the charts and jockeying for space (the best of the released games was FIRETEAM, and that one has cooled significantly since release). I feel like the last co-op shooter of any consequence was BL3 and one hopes Tiny Tina and Extraction will be able to inject some much needed fun into the space (along with whatever the hell that DICE game is).

WTF is that? It looks horrible? Is that the Rainbow Six game? WTF am I looking at? This is disturbing!

This is DEATHVERSE, game set in the LET IT DIE universe. Instead of a roguelike (or lite - I dunno the difference) it is a survival multiplayer, so like RUST. . .I guess. Nothing at all to do with R6E and I think it's just a reaction photo. Excitement maybe?

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Who is this game ever aimed at? It feels like Ubisoft had no idea how to make a new coop shooter so instead they just turned terrorist hunt into zombies mode and killed off 2 of the players so the map feels bigger.

Didn't ubisoft promise to try and make unique games going forward? I think this confirms they are back to there old ways.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Who is this game ever aimed at? It feels like Ubisoft had no idea how to make a new coop shooter so instead they just turned terrorist hunt into zombies mode and killed off 2 of the players so the map feels bigger.

Didn't ubisoft promise to try and make unique games going forward? I think this confirms they are back to there old ways.

People (like myself) who like co-op class based game with a good progression system. There are numerous official videos out there going over what R6E is (both in how it stands apart and together with R6S and what the actual gameplay systems are) and why someone might be interested in the game.

When I first saw this game (and with every announcement on it) I rolled my eyes at an "obvious reskin." However the official videos they have been dropping up to the games release has got me sold on at least checking the game out now on Game Pass PC when it releases.

I’m not jumping on the gamepass is for trash games bandwagon because I don’t agree with it and there are some pretty average reviewed games I would not of tried but actually ended up enjoying them

In saying that

Extraction is pretty bad when I played it during the beta….the main issue is it’s carried over the janky r6 siege movement but added in faster moving enemies or stuff which requires you to aim in all directions quickly….may not be an issue on pc but it sucked ass on the xbox when I played it and the beta still felt like a game mode on r6 siege instead of a standalone product

This game won’t review well

Is this the kind of shooter where it feels like it was made with KB&M in mind and controllers were an afterthought? Sounds a bit like it from your description.

Yes it did.

No idea where that's from but it's definitely not Rainbow Six.

I think this is a case of both Ubi and MS seeing the surge in popularity co-op focused games like Alien Fireteam, Avengers etc have received since coming on Game Pass.

On itself, this game doesn't look like it would have been topping the charts any time soon. With this way, the game has a built in community of millions of people who'll try it via Game Pass and maybe spend some extra money on in-game micro transactions. A win win for Ubisoft.

Fair point. Co-op games are getting more popular in general, tho it'd help if more of the high-profile ones launched in a good state or didn't screw themselves up after the first month. We all know Avengers launched poorly, and Outriders fell off hard after a month due to bad servers and questionable changes. I think ironically enough games like It Takes Two are still the premier examples of how to do the co-op experience right, but it's not designed as a MP-centric or GaaS.

A great co-op experience could absolutely work well right off the bat in that framework but there aren't many recent examples I can think of. That's why I'm pretty interested in some of the 1P Xbox rumored ones like the Avalanche co-developed game; MP is one of Microsoft's strong suits in terms of game design and they clearly have the money to afford these kind of games the polish they need, as well as the in-house tech and resources. I'm hoping that game in particular is story-driven (or scenario-driven) to some notable level.

Arun1910

First big AAA game of the year and it's day 1 on gamepass

Best subscription service and it keeps getting better and better
It's on Game Pass because they know it's going to get mediocre reviews.

Nothing about this screams AAA. They had to even do a price cut because it's using the same engine that R6 Siege launched with.

This is a really weird cash grab from Ubisoft that is going to be in the low 70s on metacritic for sure.

Arun1910

It's on Game Pass because they know it's going to get mediocre reviews.

Nothing about this screams AAA. They had to even do a price cut because it's using the same engine that R6 Siege launched with.

This is a really weird cash grab from Ubisoft that is going to be in the low 70s on metacritic for sure.

73 on metacritic. Not surprising. Ubisoft definitely needed that MS cash.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game is now up on both console and PC Game Pass.

On PC you need to link your account to the Ubi service.

chixdiggit

Me and a friend were thinking of playing this or Aliens Fireteam for some mindless co-op fun. One better/worse than the other?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Me and a friend were thinking of playing this or Aliens Fireteam for some mindless co-op fun. One better/worse than the other?
As a filthy casual that just got XSX and installed 30 Gamepass games Fireteam is fuckton of fun. There is something in shooting xenomorphs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom