• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Extraction Review Thread

SkylineRKR

Its a great game to play in short bursts. And an ideal GP game at that. Just do a few runs now and then. Most players seem to be capable. I see lots of randoms pinging enemies and items or better yet scan the entire area before they act.

I have NYC and SF at 100%. Also beat the Protean a handful of times, but never got the achievement. Probably have to deliver the killing blow or do it in solo mode or something. Alaska is a bitch though. Did one succesful run so far. That mud is poisonous there, just what you need. But in general, if you scan everything and silently clear the area and barricade before you attempt an objective you should be fine. Gadgets and your stats become far better if you level operators up but keep tabs on their health bar, they only recover when benched for a while. Not to mention the tech development with the OP second drone that auto scans the entire area if you just zip around, or the belt for carrying 6 nades. RNG also plays a part, sometimes I get a rescue mission next to the LZ. Or you get 3 relatively easy objectives in general.

If you lose an operator, you can do a solo incursion on moderate to get him back, which is usually piss easy to complete. This is also a good way to powerlevel your unused operators, though I did all of it just by playing online.

For some reason I mostly wipe on the Abhorrant nest objectives. You just need to know where they are and destroy them all ASAP. The spawns are insane if you don't. The control panels objective is tough for this reason too.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Has to be 69, right?

Almost there.

cheeky GIF

Have about 10-12 hours in now. Still excited to play it, still find the atmosphere intense as f*ck, especially solo. Props to the randos out there too whom by and large take it slowly and play to the objectives. First coop game that that I’ve seen in which the community is on the same page when it comes to working together. I find myself jump scaring all the damn time when solo. Props to the devs on the technical side to as this thing plays smooth as butter and I’ve had no issues on the ps5. Pretty fantastic experience that only gets better as you unlock new devices and weapons. Going to dig into this for quite some time to come.

chixdiggit

Played a bit of the tutorial before game unexpectedly crashed. Seems all right.
This and Aliens Fireteam Elite are both on Gamepass. Need to decide what one to give my time to.

chixdiggit

After playing some more of this with a friend I must say it's pretty fun. Really like the co-op in this but could see it not bein as good solo or with randos. Also really like the idea of the MIA operators and having to extract them on another play through to use them again.

As fun as it is... it's pretty B tier. Graphics, animations, design, etc all seem to be below par for a game from a publisher like Ubisoft. Seems like this would be something from a small studio with an early access Steam release.

Does this scratch the same itch as l4d?
I would say no. It is definitely more of a planning and strategize type game as compared to guns blazing wiping out hordes L4D style.

cormack12

Gold Member
Its a great game to play in short bursts. And an ideal GP game at that. Just do a few runs now and then. Most players seem to be capable. I see lots of randoms pinging enemies and items or better yet scan the entire area before they act.

I have NYC and SF at 100%. Also beat the Protean a handful of times, but never got the achievement. Probably have to deliver the killing blow or do it in solo mode or something. Alaska is a bitch though. Did one succesful run so far. That mud is poisonous there, just what you need. But in general, if you scan everything and silently clear the area and barricade before you attempt an objective you should be fine. Gadgets and your stats become far better if you level operators up but keep tabs on their health bar, they only recover when benched for a while. Not to mention the tech development with the OP second drone that auto scans the entire area if you just zip around, or the belt for carrying 6 nades. RNG also plays a part, sometimes I get a rescue mission next to the LZ. Or you get 3 relatively easy objectives in general.

If you lose an operator, you can do a solo incursion on moderate to get him back, which is usually piss easy to complete. This is also a good way to powerlevel your unused operators, though I did all of it just by playing online.

For some reason I mostly wipe on the Abhorrant nest objectives. You just need to know where they are and destroy them all ASAP. The spawns are insane if you don't. The control panels objective is tough for this reason too.

Yeah this game is legit. I was skeptical at first but what it sets out to do, it achieves in spades.

Aberrant nests are shit mate. Easily the worst objective fucking hiding them as well. And defend the towers is also shit.

Community is solid so far. There are a few cod lone wolfs but I feel they quickly learn. Only complaint is not enough people are barricading on the tower defence really.

100% NYC and am onto San Fran now. I guess they can keep adding missions and mode types as they go on, but I've been pleasantly surprised overall.

jaysius

Banned
This game is hot garbage, there are too many objectives that the community doesn't understand how to do. Do you have an objective requiring STEALTH? LOL! GL! Do you have one that involves CAPTURING THE MONSTER? GL! LOL! Hell even the simple "plant the bomb on the nest" is too fucking hard for the general random community. Losing ANY HP is penalized by making your OP INJURED or the lost HP lasts for missions upon missions. Heaven forbid your ragtag shit squad fucks up badly and one of your operators go down, that leads you to a tedious "rescue the op" mission where the annoying thing that holds the op requires you to shoot random targets and then said targets respawn... take "too long" UHOH all that time down the fucking drain.

This thing is a timesink in the worst way.

The community is already dwindling, I tried to get a match of San Francisco and it took 3+ minutes.

This thing is dying already.

It's great that it's on Gamepass, but it'll need to go F2P in a few months to keep any kind of community, when all those shitty "buddy passes" dry up the community will shrink dramatically.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
This game is hot garbage, there are too many objectives that the community doesn't understand how to do. Do you have an objective requiring STEALTH? LOL! GL! Do you have one that involves CAPTURING THE MONSTER? GL! LOL! Hell even the simple "plant the bomb on the nest" is too fucking hard for the general random community. Losing ANY HP is penalized by making your OP INJURED or the lost HP lasts for missions upon missions. Heaven forbid your ragtag shit squad fucks up badly and one of your operators go down, that leads you to a tedious "rescue the op" mission where the annoying thing that holds the op requires you to shoot random targets and then said targets respawn... take "too long" UHOH all that time down the fucking drain.

This thing is a timesink in the worst way.

The community is already dwindling, I tried to get a match of San Francisco and it took 3+ minutes.

This thing is dying already.

It's great that it's on Gamepass, but it'll need to go F2P in a few months to keep any kind of community, when all those shitty "buddy passes" dry up the community will shrink dramatically.

You must be really unlucky dude with the matchmaking. I've had one ignore the trackers and just shoot them, and I've had a couple where they didn't understand to lead the elite back to arm the trap but that's it. Except when things just go wrong because of a genuine mishap or honest mistake.

Matchmaking has been sub 10 secs for me using crossplay on xsx. Sometimes it locks up though and need to restart the game otherwise it just hangs.

The tree is a shite imagining of a good concept but usually people start pulling before your cover has good position.

jaysius

Banned
You must be really unlucky dude with the matchmaking. I've had one ignore the trackers and just shoot them, and I've had a couple where they didn't understand to lead the elite back to arm the trap but that's it. Except when things just go wrong because of a genuine mishap or honest mistake.

Matchmaking has been sub 10 secs for me using crossplay on xsx. Sometimes it locks up though and need to restart the game otherwise it just hangs.

The tree is a shite imagining of a good concept but usually people start pulling before your cover has good position.
Every round is full of fucking duds, the only way I managed to capture a monster was that 1 idiot died and the other was off fucking a corner somewhere.

Also people don't just go into the fucking air lock right away, if you FAIL then just GTFO, they try to grind XP but you'll get far more XP if you just GET ON WITH THE NEXT OBJECTIVE.

Also people that just fucking IDLE at the select screen when they're not changing characters or loadouts, they're just WAITING for the fucking timer. I also got some matches with morons that try to idle the entire time.

It's at a point where I see a certain objective and I just laugh because I know it's an instant fail.

I'm also on XSX, and the wait times are horrendous for stuff like San Fran maps. But it's all crossplay so it doesn't matter what platform you're on.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Every round is full of fucking duds, the only way I managed to capture a monster was that 1 idiot died and the other was off fucking a corner somewhere.

Also people don't just go into the fucking air lock right away, if you FAIL then just GTFO, they try to grind XP but you'll get far more XP if you just GET ON WITH THE NEXT OBJECTIVE.

Also people that just fucking IDLE at the select screen when they're not changing characters or loadouts, they're just WAITING for the fucking timer. I also got some matches with morons that try to idle the entire time.

It's at a point where I see a certain objective and I just laugh because I know it's an instant fail.

I'm also on XSX, and the wait times are horrendous for stuff like San Fran maps. But it's all crossplay so it doesn't matter what platform you're on.
2f5964da8a32926b47ce757e6e3cdacfb560089b.gifv

R6Rider

Gold Member
What makes you say that?
I don't want to go to much into it since it's not really the topic at hand. For a general summary: He's hypocritical, censors comments when people point out incorrect info, complains about the most minor things. The last review I attempted to watch of his was MGSV. You an easily find out more of the bullshit (and more specifics) revolving around that channel on Google, but yeah, garbage reviewer.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I don't want to go to much into it since it's not really the topic at hand. For a general summary: He's hypocritical, censors comments when people point out incorrect info, complains about the most minor things. The last review I attempted to watch of his was MGSV. You an easily find out more of the bullshit (and more specifics) revolving around that channel on Google, but yeah, garbage reviewer.

So it's personal?

He's an independent reviewer that very rarely receives copies from publishers. His opinions are his own and he explains why he does/doesn't like things.

If people want to get personal with him for sharing his thoughts then he's within his right to do whatever the fuck he wants to comments and/or the videos he posts.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
WAB is terrible when their opinion is challenged. Dude made an entire video on why the community was wrong about enjoying SNOW RUNNER after good hilariously bad review (it was essentially "I'm bad at this game but because I can't say that I'll just say the gameplay itself is terrible."

Most honest review of this turd.

2/10 is even being generous with this one.

I hate doing this but it just sounds like you aren't good at the game (or at best aren't engaging with the mechanics the way they should be). Randoms at low level can be rough, but it takes two seconds to communicate to your team what they are or aren't supposed to do. If someone is killing biopsy targets why can't you type or say into chat: "Don't do that."

As for long wait times. . . yeah you're full of shit. Wait times are less than 30 seconds and I imagine it isn't takes that long because the servers need time to do their server-magic.

. . . honestly just sounds like you wanted to not like the game and tried it on GP to confirm.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I've played every day since launch, and I've only run into one game where one of the players was actively being a shithead; most games people are genuinly trying their best.

SkylineRKR

I think matchmaking was worst when I started out completely green. You probably match with people on level with your highest operators or just at Milestone level or something, they have played a fair bit. They also have the tools like the 2nd recon drone, recon nades and more armor and speed.

Most matches go decent to well, sometimes there is a fuckup. Its either on accident, like myself getting blinded and attracting a crowd, or not seeing an enemy in time. Or a shit objective like the nests. But I've beaten the Protean about 4 times with Randoms, and they had solid tactics. But it doesn't really matter, when it obviously doesn't pan out and you likely won't win, feel free to extract. Sometimes people fall prematurely, sometimes I fall. Most of the times they try to rescue you.

Monster capture failed one time in my games, and it was on me lol. I was cornered by it and just shot it. But still 2/3 of goals cleared. I don't care if one fails. It happens. What I hate most are guys grabbing 2 ammo, or guys not pushing the airlock button. That sort of thing.

Yeah this game is legit. I was skeptical at first but what it sets out to do, it achieves in spades.

Aberrant nests are shit mate. Easily the worst objective fucking hiding them as well. And defend the towers is also shit.

Community is solid so far. There are a few cod lone wolfs but I feel they quickly learn. Only complaint is not enough people are barricading on the tower defence really.

100% NYC and am onto San Fran now. I guess they can keep adding missions and mode types as they go on, but I've been pleasantly surprised overall.

They are the hardest by far. If you get a rescue, elite monster or capture a monster consider yourself lucky.

But the best way to deal with nests, it seems, is smoke grenades, and Fuze. And perhaps the poison nade guy. Generally something that can clear entire rooms. Its pretty cool to place wall bombs with Fuze around a nest area and see those kills rack up, tts my fave thing to do in fact. Tower defense is okay as long as you barricade and perhaps have someone with those wall projector grenades and stun mines etc. The tools are pretty good in general. But barricade really helps and everyone should do it.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Haha yeah, most conflict is deciding whether to airlock or exfil. When you have two team mates on 4 health with no Finka and the next objective is aberrant nests then you 99% have to exfil, but they will push on??!?!

SkylineRKR

Critical is impossible with randoms. You'll mostly lose your operators this way. I loaded up solo moderate 3 times to get my operators back, lol. I'll probably stay away.

Severe is okay ish, I did manage to complete quite a few of runs in quick play. Its mostly a case of pinging everything, clearing the area silently before you initiate an objective. Getting samples; stun them with stun nades, smoke or paralyze or something and R3. Smashers; stun and perform R3 on his back. Tormentors, I look at the ground and throw a stun in his trajectory and right before he emerges, he'll pop up and be stunned, R3.

Also, don't put silencers on your primary. The damage reduction is huge (like, nearly 50%) and you'll get into firefights anyway. Just use a silenced pistol and your sneaking skills for stealth kills (which shouldn't be hard if the area is pinged). With Lion's carbine with muzzle brake I can take down tormentors in like 3 headshots or so. Your DPS increases drastically during tower defense.

SkylineRKR

I managed to do some critical runs with randoms. It depends on the roll you get. I mean, fog + Aberrant + Sabotage + Singularity? Yeah no. But even then it still depends on the enemies you get. A bunch of Apexes at the start is generally bad news. But you can still delete them fairly easily. Esp. with a team. Idk why it fails so often as all you have to do is paralyze it, and focus fire with unsilenced weapons. Its dead within 3 seconds. Just ignore the spawning adds for a while.

But most wipes seem to be caused by a lack of recon, not prioritizing nests. Which is hard to do if you're swarmed lol. But enemies spawn endlessly if you don't.

My favourite Operator is probably Nomad. She has balanced stats, and a great weapon loadout. Personally I prefer the AK 47. And the .44 is awesome, but that would be 2 weapons without silencer lol. Her ability becomes devastating at level 7. You can just place it around and it instantly deletes all enemies that get into it except for the bigger 3 (smasher, tormentor and protean), but they still get knocked down I think. I also like IQ a lot, she's probably lowest tier but I like her design and comments. She can instantly ping tremor station objectives though.

While I didn't love the game overall I have to say I did think it got the shaft in weird ways. Overall it seems that most gamers are enjoying it.
According to some people here. Journalists such as you and me are shills because we like this game. Go figure lol.

Last edited:

Ywap

Such an amazing game solo on harder difficulties.

Ubi really doesn´t get enough credit for this awesome game. Truly a love letter to stealth/horror fans :messenger_heart:

And when the shit hits the fan: Pure chaos :messenger_horns: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom