• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege Rakes In A Billion Dollars, The Division 2 Fails To Meet Sales Expectations On Consoles

Mista

Banned
rainbowsixsiegeseason4800.jpg

Today Ubisoft held its quarterly earnings call and overall, things look pretty great for the company financially. The publisher reports that 2018 was its strongest year ever, supported by its service games as well as mostly strong release sales. Overall, Ubisoft brought in over 2.27 billion dollars, a 17% increase over the previous year.

A big bulletin in the report was Rainbow Six Siege (shown) bringing in over a billion dollars for the company since its launch back in 2015. Not bad for a game that many doubted thanks to its rough launch. Far Cry 5 is also the biggest-selling game for Ubisoft's current generational titles. The publisher also made sure to call out its engagement numbers, pointing to Siege's audience of 45 million players, a 40% increase since last year.

However, on the less rosy side of things, Ubisoft reports that the console version of The Division 2 didn't meet the company's initial sales expectations (though the PC version is performing well). Given Ubisoft's investment in service structures for its game, it'll be interesting to see how microtransactions affect The Division 2's profitability in the year to come.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Division 2 not performing well may not be a good sign of things to come for the game. Devs seem to be calling bad decisions for the game TBH, and with Breakpoint launching in October....

Its sad, because the game had a good launch in my opinion.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Jesus, I've never spent a single real life dollar on Siege since the base game and have every character unlocked easily with so much left over to spend on stupid shit if I ever wanted to. I've still never met someone who spends money on cosmetic DLC irl, I must be getting old.

Last edited:
I took a big break from siege and have gotten back into it recently. Man anyone else have crazy nostalgia with siege? It felt so chill playing it Christmas time (2016?)

So now that I am back into it I have some thoughts that might change.

-I kinda miss the simplicity and meta of the vanilla operators. This happens naturally with hero shooters. You can't expect the devs to not keep adding maps (less so annoyed with this) and operators. It's just that the meta has gotten so convoluted and sloppy. I sure hope I will acclimate. Hopefully. Also the old maps just seemed so simple, house, consolate, bank. You had them memorized and the fun was just how to out trick your latest opponent. Right now it just feels chaotic. Maybe they will add a vanilla og mode?

cryptoadam

Banned
I wonder if these looter shooters are starting to lose steam.

Have any of them meet expectations? Division 2, Anthem, Destiny 2 ?

I think the gaming audience is moving away from this type of game. I think one reason is publishers just got greedy and gave less game and more GAAS/MTX BS trying to suck as much money from their customers.

zeorhymer

Perhaps it's basically Division 1 but with all the bugs ironed out. Sounds like a Destiny sequel repeat. Or perhaps looter shooter loops aren't as great as advertised.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
I took a big break from siege and have gotten back into it recently. Man anyone else have crazy nostalgia with siege? It felt so chill playing it Christmas time (2016?)

So now that I am back into it I have some thoughts that might change.

-I kinda miss the simplicity and meta of the vanilla operators. This happens naturally with hero shooters. You can't expect the devs to not keep adding maps (less so annoyed with this) and operators. It's just that the meta has gotten so convoluted and sloppy. I sure hope I will acclimate. Hopefully. Also the old maps just seemed so simple, house, consolate, bank. You had them memorized and the fun was just how to out trick your latest opponent. Right now it just feels chaotic. Maybe they will add a vanilla og mode?

Not sure why there is always hatred towards new maps in shooters gaming. It may have to do with repetition. Australia is by far one of the best maps to date, and Italy/Turkey are very challenging as well.

Even Favela is good if you look at a risk-taking perspective.

Korea is the only map where you are out in the wild, and I love being in constant fear of not being warned about surrounding enemies.

I hear a lot of negatives about how chunky china map is but imo it still has its positives like being totaly like SOCOM maps, being mirroed just like old school shooter map layouts.... If there is something I can't complain in Siege is map design.

The only problem I see is that some oof them are very disorientating. Consulate and the College one are by far the biggest and they are the vanilla ones.

Funny because I saw this same trend on Uncharted 2 with its dlc packs, then down the line they were turned into vanilla fillers for Uncharted 3 and everyone loved them LOL

Last edited:

nikolino840

Siege It was cool in the beginning....now too sci fi and characters seems comes out from overwatch....

Last edited:
Division 2 is even more repetitive than the first game, believe it or not. They needed Survival and other modes at launch,... and the former hasn't even been announced yet.

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe they'll try a free to play model for Division 2 some day. I can't really see myself trying it otherwise.

Not really surprised at the PC shift because there was this moment...

(about the same time I switched) that Division became more a PC game than a console game.

Don't really focus much on the business side of gaming, but I can't imagine mtx via hardcore fans make up the difference.

It's pretty easy to farm the mtx.

Division 2 is even more repetitive than the first game, believe it or not. They needed Survival and other modes at launch,... and the former hasn't even been announced yet.

Yes! Survival will make a huge difference.

But also, it's like comparing apples to oranges at this point w/ the way Division grew and Division 2 is still kind of an infant.

Codes 208

Perhaps it's basically Division 1 but with all the bugs ironed out. Sounds like a Destiny sequel repeat. Or perhaps looter shooter loops aren't as great as advertised.
It’s pretty much exactly the same as D1, bugs included. It’s a relative grind and in some ways actually felt more basic than 1 so I ended up selling it a week later.

ethomaz

Banned
Was some bullshit PR from Epic. You were just redirected to the Ubisoft store to buy it.
It was a sarcasm reply because the other guy said it did bad in PC due Epic Store lol

The game indeed did well on PC and that was not related to Epic Store.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Even Favela is good if you look at a risk-taking perspective.

Favela was always good and should of never been taken off rotation. What I want to see, is more tiny mayhem maps around House size more than anything. And for these to be put into the competitive cycle. I understand why they don't but I want to see some more chaos and strats for those maps.

There's a reason these maps are so popular, House, Nuketown, IceWorld1.6... And we need more of them.

Last edited:
Maybe. I think PC will always (or at least for the time being) be where the hardcore come home to roost.

Consider Destiny. A PS4 game at one one point. But if you're hc Destiny, you're playing it on PC.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Rainbow six is great but casuals aren't drawn to it, bringing in a trillion dollars doesn't mean anything if you can't bring in the casuals who hover around the Call of Duties, Wow's etc.

PerfectDark

Banned
Everyone has different taste and opinons. But The Division 2 is a big game done wrong. The devs are dumb as a bag of bricks. I built a new gaming PC with my bro and we had our sights on Black Ops 4 we loved the last 3 and The Division 2. Both busted. The devs in The Division 2 are clueless. The end game is a mess and everything about the game from skills, and end game is underwhelming. They just don't make games like they use to. Every big game is a bust and mess They are rushed and feel like they are made to scam people to buy not to earn thier money by making a great game.

When I was waiting for end game in The Division to unlock Grim Dawn expansion came out and that is a great game out of nowhere. The I got invited to Secret Neighbor beta. Another amazing game.

The Division 2 sucks. It is ran by devs that will never put the game in the right path. They might be good at making a base game but they suck at everything else.

manfestival

Rainbow six is great but casuals aren't drawn to it, bringing in a trillion dollars doesn't mean anything if you can't bring in the casuals who hover around the Call of Duties, Wow's etc.
I am sure they are slapping their knees wishing they had 2 billion dollars in the quarter instead of one because the game doesn't have this casual appeal that you claim they need so much.

Mista

Banned
It got billion dollars + having an increase daily to the player base. That sounds alright innit?

So many copies of Division 2 are digital and they dont get taken into account, cdkeys was doing D2 at a decent price before launch and they sold out a few times.

iconmaster

Banned

For the people at the top, there's precisely one metric for a game's success; and Siege nailed it.

Top Bottom