• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege | Review Thread

Lupercal

Banned
That Polygon review, using half the review tot shit on the 'cosmetica DLC' and unlock system.

Played 4 hours and already have all operatives unlocked.
Guess they played it less.

cgaduck

Neo Member
I've been playing it since open beta and release. It's a solid game and i've had fun but the maps lack variety and its getting a little stale already...Got my eye on The Division Beta.

Super Bunnyhop: "An excellent game working in a rotten system"

He's referring to the netcode/disconnects, which the December release should fix to a large degree. We'll see! It is an excellent game, though.

Good summary, though:

After ten years of seeing the whole "squad-based FPS" schtick devolve into cover-shooting and Battlefield-ing, it feels like a breath of fresh air to see a big publisher like Ubisoft go small scale again. They're competing against Insurgency and Counter-Strike with this game, and it's a pattern I totally wouldn't mind seeing more of.

No lies detected.

Should be higher than that. R6 is the best entry into the franchise in a loooong time.

Can't disagree with that :) Seriously can't stop playing. There are so many gameplay options available, I often forget about some. I have to remind myself, "Oh yeah, I should try breaching from the ceiling this time" and stuff like that.

Beaulieu

That Polygon review, using half the review tot shit on the 'cosmetica DLC' and unlock system.

yeah, and the network issues are telling me that they based their review on the beta and not the fnal game.

network has been pretty smooth in the last week ++

I think this is just too strategical and repetitive for me to stick with. I'm glad some people love it, and I don't think it's bad by any means, but I haven't had any desire to play it since launch.

To each their own, I guess.

Raytow

Okay that has to be hyperbole, I played way more than 4 hours, and still missing like 4 or 5 operatives.

Mentok

Banned
Okay that has to be hyperbole, I played way more than 4 hours, and still missing like 4 or 5 operatives.

While I don't see it possible in 4-5 hours, it depends on how much Renown you are acquiring per round and on if you are purchasing attachments or not. If you're putting on a new scope, silencer and front grip for each Op, that's a good 500R per Op. I haven't unlocked each OP yet (level 26), but I've customized all the ones I have. I love how the cosmetics are the only thing that can cost money (I wished they reduced some of those Renown costs though, 10000 is quite a bit for a skin). That being said, I don't believe the reviewer saying that in 16 hours of play he only unlocked half of them.

I don't really get the argument from Polygon's review, a lot of games have an "unlock" system from ranking up, not just MOBAs. Also the comparisons to LoL and Heroes is ridiculous. Finally, I disagree with the "weak" map rotation, this is the first FPS in a while where I like almost all the maps! But opinions and all that I guess.

The thing about those expensive skins is that, once you have all operators unlocked, you're probably gonna be raking in a surplus of Renown.

Although someone in my group last night said the new Operators are just going to be the next highest cost tier...he was saying 2500 Renown. No source on that, though.

I don't see how anyone could agree with the bullshit Gies is spewing on the progression system.

But you're still going to be grinding to get everything in a way that seems much more punitive than the progression of games like Black Ops 3 or any recent Battlefield game.

lol

Battlefield 4 is one of the grindiest AAA shooters there is. You have to jump through so many hoops just to unlock guns that you've already paid for (Premium), plus you don't have ANY choice when it comes to unlocking attachments, forcing you to push through useless unlock after unlock until you get the one you want.

Gies is a douche. I agree with him once in a blue moon.

Not your typical shooter, so unfortunately it's an acquired taste.
I'm putting it on now though :)
It isnt the typical shooter at all it is rainbow six like it should be. Lockdown, Vegas and Vegas 2 were all terrible but Siege is back to where R6 should be. Anyone who is a fan of slower paced, tactical shooters needs to have this game. Every shooter also should be jealous of the destructible environments. It really is a game changing feature and I truly hope more games incorporate it.

Top Bottom