• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

If this actually get onto the eShop and it actually runs well, I might finally have a reason to sell my Nvidea Shield Portable.

I was hoping something like this would get made, but I thought I'd have to wait for the Switch to get homebrew support first.

Brofield

The controls would be ass given it's on joycons, but in theory I could play AoM: EE on a portable.

I mean, StarCraft 64 worked. Barely, but it worked.

PCGAF: "Give me 120fps or give me death"
Industry: "How about a way to play your games with inherent latency?"
PCGAF: "Excite!"

Puzzling.

That said, the point is moot as this will never see the light of day on Switch outside of homebrew firmware.

Lister

Banned
Because people would be playing games they bought on Steam or the App Store (also apparently streams mobile games) rather than games they bought from Nintendo.

Who are these people? The pc gamers that dont own a switch and would never own one if it wasn't for this, like me? People who might actually pick up a few switch titles now since will fuck i own the damn thing now?

People who own a switch and don't play games on their pc?

People who own both already and arw probably purchasing games on both a they always have?

Is this the same old, everyone would pc game if not for console exclusives Argument?

atr0cious

If this makes it through and allows button configuration, it could be a game changer, especially if they let you rebind the joycons.

Lister

Banned

Puzzling.

That said, the point is moot as this will never see the light of day on Switch outside of homebrew firmware.

I don't think pc gamers would say this replaces their ultra we ude gsynnc monitors. But some games would work fine with a little latency and from your bed.

MUnited83

For you.

Puzzling.

Nobody says that first thing, and people are fine with dealing with a bit of latency if they have the option of playing their PC library on the go.

Dremorak

Banned

Puzzling.

PCGAF:"Give me 120fps or give me death"
Industry:"How about a way to play your games on the toilet?"
giphy.gif

Cerium

"I want to buy an indie game on Switch, I'll just buy it on steam instead of the official release"

It's not the same as being able to take it on the train or on the plane. I don't think Nintendo needs to see this as some kind of significant threat. Vita remote play is a nice feature for example but it never caught on in a big way.

The unique attraction of buying a game on Switch is knowing that it works, without latency, anywhere, regardless of your connection.

Hilarion

Who are these people? The pc gamers that dont own a switch and would never own one if it wasn't for this, like me? People who might actually pick up a few switch titles now since will fuck i own the damn thing now?

People who own a switch and don't play games on their pc?

People who own both already and arw probably purchasing games on both a they always have?

Is this the same old, everyone would pc game if not for console exclusives Argument?

I think it's more like, "why buy Binding of Isaac for $40 from the eShop when I could get it in a Steam Sale for a quarter of that?"

Lister

Banned
I think it's more like, "why buy Binding of Isaac for $40 from the eShop when I could get it in a Steam Sale for a quarter of that?"

Because thats a gane were latency might be an issue even if its ok locally, you can play it in bed streaming on pc, but not while on the go.

Seriously, why did they develop it for mobile phones, the Switch, and the XBox1, but not the PS4?
Xbone probably because of uwp and self publishing for apps. Switch because it makes a lot of sense to have it supporting the tablet, and PS4 is out because likely it lacks both.

gngf123

If this actually makes it onto the eShop this is a game changer for me.

Unfortunately, I see Nintendo removing it the second they get wind that it could potentially be used to Stream emulated games.

Plum

I'm 100% certain on three things regarding this:

1) I would love to have this on the Switch and would pay a good price if they decided to sell it on the eShop
2) This will never, ever be available on the official eShop in its current form
3) The reaction thread when their eShop application inevitably gets rejected will be glorious

Tagyhag

While this sounds really cool (I could have totally used this during my MMO days lol) I have to see the application working first.

And THEN I have to see Nintendo actually allowing this.

But if it works as intended, and Nintendo is on board, this could be really great.

This is the same company that won't let youtubers make $6 on a 10/10 review because they used a 8 second clip of their game in motion, and charges you for mario every single time they release new hardware.

I have a knife and fork ready for crow, but something tells me I am safe.

atr0cious

Because the switch versions will mostly be made with the switch in mind, so something like Stardew will have coop that might work differently than pc, not to mention it's exclusive to the switch for a small period and then adding hd rumble and other things. Pretty much it'd be up to the devs to make it more enticing than the sale price. My guess for e3 is Nvidia might be doing the samething with the switch, as pc games aren't a threat to Nintendo's bottom line. If cemu was pixel perfect for the switch, then I could see Nintendo outright tossing it out, but the dev saying it's gonna be on eShop has me thinking it's already greenlit.

This is the same company that won't let youtubers make $6 on a 10/10 review because they used a 8 second clip of their game in motion, and charges you for mario every single time they release new hardware.

I have a knife and fork ready for crow, but something tells me I am safe.
Thank god these guys operate on PC, so even if Switch is dead for this you can use literally anything else.

MUnited83

For you.
Because the switch versions will mostly be made with the switch in mind, so something like Stardew will have coop that might work differently than pc, not to mention it's exclusive to the switch for a small period and then adding hd rumble and other things. Pretty much it'd be up to the devs to make it more enticing than the sale price. My guess for e3 is Nvidia might be doing the samething with the switch, as pc games aren't a threat to Nintendo's bottom line. If cemu was pixel perfect for the switch, then I could see Nintendo outright tossing it out, but the dev saying it's gonna be on eShop has me thinking it's already greenlit.

The MP is only console timed exclusive, PC is getting it at the same time. Playing the PC version on the Switch at least at home would be the better option thanks to modability.

Hilarion

I get where you're coming from. I just feel that since Indie Devs are one of the three content pillars for the Switch (along with the Japanese and Nintendo's in house stuff), doing something that might make Indies skittish about publishing on the Switch is seriously counterproductive. "Why make Switch versions when they'll just buy the Steam version and stream it?"

Top Bottom