• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

Ozium

people saying 'well why buy X on switch when I can just get it on PC and stream it" only works if people are only using their switch near their PCs...

it's a portable console you might not always have internet access around

also there are ppl who only own a switch

BiggNife

If this works as advertised then hell yeah I will totally buy it but I have a hard time believing Nintendo will allow this on the eShop

We'll see I guess

You need internet, just like Vita remote play and all the other streaming services.

It's not magic.
So why are people overreacting? Not everybody has internet everywhere. The Switch still has the upside to buy a game and play it anywhere regardless of having internet or not. This app means you have to have internet.

I'm speaking in the context of multiplat indie games that come to Switch and PC.

Now for bigger AAA third party titles this could be beneficial to Nintendo from the eyes of some customers because now they can play a game like the Witcher 3 on the Switch.

atr0cious

The MP is only console timed exclusive, PC is getting it at the same time. Playing the PC version on the Switch at least at home would be the better option thanks to modability.
Yes, but again the switch version could be different, especially with coop out the box. PC co-op has made strides but it's still not entirely pick up and play like the switch, even with steams controller config. The point is that these games don't hurt Nintendo since they're sharing a cut and getting more just because the person has a switch and Zelda. It's up to the devs to make them compelling and the switch does have features that could do this.

jwk94

people saying 'well why buy X on switch when I can just get it on PC and stream it" only works if people are only using their switch near their PCs...

it's a portable console

Isn't Rainway streaming over the internet? Why would you need to be close to your PC?

Nintendo would be dummies to not allow this...this could actually make some people buy a Switch that otherwise might not consider it.

Jodast

If it works well enough and is actually allowed on the eShop, gotta admit I would probably turn it into a sort of Nintendo Now service. Cemu, Dolphin, Citra and DeSmuME for HD quality "VC".

Would be a good replacement for my Shield portable too, minus the analogue triggers :-(

Isn't Rainway streaming over the internet? Why would you need to be close to your PC?
Lag. With a good home wifi setup, game streaming like with the Nvidia Shield Portable can be really solid since nice its all on your local network.

But once you add in streaming across distance it will have an effect on the lag. It's why OnLive and PS Now work better when you're closer to their servers.

I've heard the latency on a Steamlink even on wired connections can sometimes feel gross, and that's a local connection

I'll believe this when I see it

ggx2ac

Playing Melty Blood on a smaller screen would be nice considering the native resolution.

I don't know what the latency would be like though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Device streaming isn't crazy new and is pretty basic in core functionality. Ultimately it doesn't really matter that it's the Switch: I can stream my entire desktop PC to my S5. Stability and input emulation are the big issues.

So in the case of the Switch it's not like you get special magical hardware. You still need a PC doing all the grunt, on at times of use, and a stable LAN or Internet connection.

Remote desktop tools for console, basically. Both Wii and 3DS had homebrew tools to do the same.

wanders

PCGAF: "Give me 120fps or give me death"
Industry: "How about a way to play your games with inherent latency?"
PCGAF: "Excite!"

Puzzling.

That said, the point is moot as this will never see the light of day on Switch outside of homebrew firmware.

Or rather people are just excited about playing PC games portably....

Kinsei

Banned
If it works well enough and is actually allowed on the eShop, gotta admit I would probably turn it into a sort of Nintendo Now service. Cemu, Dolphin, Citra and DeSmuME for HD quality "VC".

Would be a good replacement for my Shield portable too, minus the analogue triggers :-(

That's exactly why they won't allow it.

Theswweet

I can see this happening on Xbone, and the Switch eShop is so new that I won't say it's impossible from the get-go. If this is really happening this is huge though.

While I doubt that Nintendo will approve this it would really be in their best interests to consider it as it would allow players to do most of the functions that they would have wanted from homebrew.

Add cloud saves and I'd personally be all set.

Xb1??
Switch??

What the fuck??

....what the fuck?

I have deep reservations both stores won't allow this app to be on their respective marketplaces for long.

That shut it down gif seems appropriate. By all means good on the devs for making tech like this, but I don't think it will survive long on consoles.

Theswweet

Xb1??
Switch??

What the fuck??

....what the fuck?

I have deep reservations both stores won't allow this app to be on their respective marketplaces for long.

That shut it down gif seems appropriate. By all means good on the devs for making tech like this, but I don't think it will survive long on consoles.

I can understand the skepticism with Switch, but I see no issues with this coming to Xbone. One of the best things about Xbox right now is just how open their storefront is, especially when it comes to UWP.

Kilau

Gold Member
If you want to use it at home on XB1 and PS4, wouldn't the Steam Link be a better option anyways?

Yeah, I wouldn't care if this was on Xbone or PS4, steamlink would be better than using my power hungry console to stream games to the living room.

Streaming to Switch is something else though.

While I doubt that Nintendo will approve this it would really be in their best interests to consider it as it would allow players to do most of the functions that they would have wanted from homebrew.

Add cloud saves and I'd personally be all set.
This is a good point. Obvs people will still want homebrew for portable emulation but for those lazy, this is a good solution.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So it begins...

This is the one feature I said would be game changing for the Switch. Its not from Nintendo or Nvidia but still.

Device streaming isn't crazy new and is pretty basic in core functionality. Ultimately it doesn't really matter that it's the Switch: I can stream my entire desktop PC to my S5. Stability and input emulation are the big issues.

So in the case of the Switch it's not like you get special magical hardware. You still need a PC doing all the grunt, on at times of use, and a stable LAN or Internet connection.

Remote desktop tools for console, basically. Both Wii and 3DS had homebrew tools to do the same.

Yea but still....this is nice. If its allowed.

On the one hand, if Nintendo were to allow this, they would open themselves to the risk of people simply not buying games for the Switch, reducing Nintendo's own potential profit margins.

On the other hand, this could encourage people who view the switch as a cool tablet, but aren't that big on Nintendo games, to buy the system anyway - which is still some profit of Nintendo, as I believe they don't sell these things at a loss. Plus once a system is in people's hands, then they can at least be coaxed to try and purchase exclusive titles.

I mean, this could be used to have the Switch supplant the GPD Win as a de facto, 'portable' (with the GPD Win being genuinely so) PC, which feels like it'd be a neat little place for the Switch to position itself.

If Nintendo allow it though.

wedca

My experience with gaming via remote desktop outside of my local area network is that it is OK for turn based games and not enjoyable for action games, the latency is just too much.

I think this is an interesting project and I'll be happy to have more options to play turn based games when I'm traveling.

Top Bottom