• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

So basically you can turn your Switch into a Wii U, but for PC.

WiiU had practically no lag in streaming and receive input controls from the gamepad. The gamepad streaming was even faster than most TVs with the screen output.

This is something different and I doubt that it will work even nearly that flawlessly. Sony tried it with console->Vita streaming but it was not reliable and only a fit for very slow games. If this will only realized with a browser app it will add even more lag than a native app.

Galava

WiiU had practically no lag in streaming and receive input controls from the gamepad. The gamepad streaming was even faster than most TVs with the screen output.

This is something different and I doubt that it will work even nearly that flawlessly. Sony tried it with console->Vita streaming but it was not reliable and only a fit for very slow games. If this will only realized with a browser app it will add even more lag than a native app.

You could just connect your Switch directly to your PC. Just make your PC a 5GHz WiFi hotspot instead of going to the router or through the net.

Necro900

Ed4LdEW.jpg

Direct remote play (or even via network) on PsVita works like a charm even with fast-paced games. Rainway will always work via network, but provided it's well optimized and you have a decent connection it will work as well as remote play.
Yes, there will be lag, but unless you need frame by frame precision (and I doubt you'll play fighting tournaments over the net) it will be perfect for most casual play.

Direct remote play (or even via network) on PsVita works like a charm even with fast-paced games.

Thats not true. Perhaps some people don't notice the lag and frame rate hiccups but if you change often between PS4 and remote play the difference is very noticeable and annoying even in slow games.

Digital foundry:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-vita-remote-play
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-ps4-remote-play-on-pc

Summary:
we've determined that the same six-frame (100ms) delay we encountered on Vita persists here on the PC. When coupled with the additional frame delay present in many displays, we're looking at a pretty significant lag to controller response. Games are not unplayable by any means but you will feel the difference.
Remote Play remains a cute feature that's very useful in some scenarios, but not quite the killer app we always hoped it would be.

Necro900

Thats not true. Perhaps some people don't notice the lag and frame rate hiccups but if you change often between PS4 and remote play the difference is very noticeable and annoying even in slow games.

Digital foundry:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-vita-remote-play
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-ps4-remote-play-on-pc

Summary:

"Games are not unplayable by any means but you will feel the difference. If you play competitive games, such as Street Fighter 5, you may struggle to perform at your best under these conditions."

Again, I'm not saying there's no lag, but saying that remote play is only good for "very slow" games downright false.

Also, I can't speak for remote play on PC (which relies on network, while Vita also has the benefit of connecting directly), but the first article about Vita is from 2013, and Remote Play has improved a lot since then: back then Vita couldn't even accept a 60fps stream.

Dismissing the technology as a failed experiment is baffling honestly, there's lots of fun to be had with remote play, even in frantic games (remote play resogun at 60fps is quite enjoyable, for instance), and I'm sure many people on this board can tell you that. Sensitivity to lag issues is also quite personal, provided latency doesn't reach crazy high figures anyone would notice.

People really fail to see how impressive the technology is in the Wii U.

Varvor

Need this in my life....

Aside from Zelda i got nothing else interesting me on my Switch so it now collects dust...

ramparter

Banned
People really fail to see how impressive the technology is in the Wii U.
Wii U has alsi great grip because it was never meant to be a handheld like Switch. I wish one day a company will produce a grip case for Switch that makes it bulky and tall like the Wii U gamepad when in portable form.
Meanwhile if the rainway guys make the app work on Wii U Im so there. Lying on my couch and letting the Wii U gamepad stand on my chest has been the most comfortable way to play games for me.

Top Bottom