• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ornstein & Smough are too hard for where they take place in the game, and makes all the Lord Soul bosses too easy. The pacing and difficulty curve are poor.

We doing this? Fine. After Skyrim I made a sacred blood oath never to buy a Todd Howard game ever again.

If MS funds a new Prey or Dishonored I'll respect them but I'm not counting on it. This acquisition was for the normals.

MS should have stuck with Kinect. My family still gets together to play Kinect sports. The only real mistake was forcing it on people with the Xbox One. They had a good product that just needed tweaking .

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Bethesda rpgs have always been trash. I for the life of me don‘t get the hype.
Monster Hunter World is a boring grindfest and fucking downright corny as hell. Massively overrated.
In my opinion, unless you must have the best of the best performance and some of the unique features of PC gaming right now, then the better value option is to purchase a console and then upgrade to a PC midway through the generation. The Xbox SX is probably going to be equivalent to a PC with an 8 core AMD CPU and an RTX 3060 for $500 US dollars. If someone offered me a PC with those specs compared to a PC with a RTX 3080 at double or even triple the cost, I would go for the PC with the 3060. The Xbox & PS5 should be able to offer up comparable graphics to the PC for the next 2-3 years and when they start to really lag behind in a few years, then I would upgrade to the latest PC hardware which will truly blow them away. Regardless of whether they have exclusives or not, the consoles are better value at this stage in the hardware cycle.
Turn based RPGs are not enjoyable to play. They completely miss the ebb and flow of combat that more action oriented games have.
Soulsborne games are borderline garbage.
Super Mario World is the worst 2D Mario game, including the New series. But not including Lost Levels I guess.

f22.gif

Pokemon games apart from the odd spin-offs are all the same.

Pick your starter, level them up, beat 8 gyms, complete elite four all whilst defeating the bad guys on the side.

It annoys me that they have a series that can be so much yet do so little with it.

teezzy

Banned
Most games are mostly terrible or just painfully average. The idea is to find the few games that appeal to you.

This. So much this.

Sometimes I feel like I've grown out of the hobby, then you find that one gem or two and you can't stop thinking about it while at work, away from home, whatever

You pour hours into it, all night long playing this game. You can't sleep.

Then you're like oh yea. this is why i started shitposting on GAF to begin with

Batiman

Banned
Fall guys is pretty trash. Was hyped for it when I first saw it. It looks like perfect fun nonsense. But it’s really just frustrating and not fun to play. It has a polished presentation but it’s jank galore. Controls like shit.

Soodanim

Gold Member
There's no such thing as a good Mario Kart game. They're all boring.

Xbox controllers and their clicky buttons are the worst on the market. I have never in my life thought "My inputs having outputs is not enough of a response, I wish I had a loud audio cue to let me know I pressed a button."

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
There's no such thing as a good Mario Kart game. They're all boring.

Xbox controllers and their clicky buttons are the worst on the market. I have never in my life thought "My inputs having outputs is not enough of a response, I wish I had a loud audio cue to let me know I pressed a button."
It really depends on your own experience; Mario Kart is a social game. I believe I have had a very fulfilling life so far and my memories playing Mario Kart against friends or my girlfriend rank among some of the best I have.

teezzy

Banned
Not controversial at all. As a side note, there was a car dealership here taking pre-orders on new car models arriving in December. It's a plague.

Yeah. Volkswagen ID.4 is already sold the fu*k out

I can see it with consoles though. Like if you dug PS4 and XB1 - there's slim chances you wouldn't have a worthwhile time with their successor.

1. Call of Duty Modern Warfare is the best shooter ever made.
2. Nintendo hasnt made a good console since snes
3. Gran Turismo is the worst sim racer
4. Souls games are clunky cheap looking boring games. Demon Souls remake on PS5 has potential to change that.
5. PS5 gamers will be playing less games than XSX gamers because gamepass>$70 a game

Soodanim

Gold Member
It really depends on your own experience; Mario Kart is a social game. I believe I have had a very fulfilling life so far and my memories playing Mario Kart against friends or my girlfriend rank among some of the best I have.
If only I had had a fulfilling life, maybe I too could have enjoyed Mario Kart.

Fuck 😞

Jeeves

The Twin Snakes is good (even though I never played the original version lol). I don't care that Ocelot is an easy fight, and the cutscenes seem perfectly in-line with the rest of the series. I like the voice-acting too.

EDIT: Is the hot/cold key shortcut only in that version? Because that's a great thing to have.

Last edited:

martino

The Twin Snakes is good (even though I never played the original version lol). I don't care that Ocelot is an easy fight, and the cutscenes seem perfectly in-line with the rest of the series. I like the voice-acting too.
Kitamura understood Kojima before he did himself.

Far Cry 2 is the best FPS game ever made.

Medal of Honor: 2010 is a masterpiece and the best military themed FPS campaign ever made.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is in the top 10 FPS campaigns of all time and is the best CoD from the PS4/XB1 generation of games.

DOSS216

I didn't like the first Bioshock. I hated the way the guns felt in the game. I thought they were weak and it turned me away from the game. Please roast me accordingly.

John2290

The last of us 2 isn't a 10/10

The last of us 2 isn't a 0/10

Breath of the wild is fairly bland and is only greater than a 7/10 at best if you're high.

Men creating female characters in a RPGs/MMOs looks to me like men playing with barbies.

LarknThe4th

I love the aesthetic and feel of Hotshot racing but, I am disappointed that a lot of races come down to having 3 or 4 boosts and using them on the last 2 turns to win a race no matter the difficulty

Still a blast to play though

This thread reminds me of a historical story.

In 1960s China dictator Mao prepared a trap. He loosened restrictions on press freedom. He asked all his opponents to criticize him. For months everyone was free to speak in public meetings, send in critical letters to the newspaper. And then they were all arrested. Their own words were used as evidence. All the counterrevolutionaries who had been hiding what they really thought for years were exposed.
Mao had read 1984. :messenger_smiling_horns:

So be careful because one day you will find yourself in a courtroom facing Todd Howard!

Belief: Indie games should only be 3-5 hours long. A, AA, and AAA games should only be 15-30 hours with some sort of replayability.

Controversial: If your game is over 50 hours long, you're definitely wasting my time in one way or another.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Belief: Indie games should only be 3-5 hours long. A, AA, and AAA games should only be 15-30 hours with some sort of replayability.

Controversial: If your game is over 50 hours long, you're definitely wasting my time in one way or another.
Games can be 300 hours long or 8 hours long, at end of the day it’s all about if the game can give us satisfying experience.

People who claim to like Japanese games are just doing so because they (wrongly) think it makes them seem edgy and cool.

Japan’s significance to gaming in 2020 is vastly overstated - no one actually cares about their weird, often creepy shit.
People who shit on Japanese games are just doing so because they (wrongly) think it makes them seem edgy and cool.

Aguero9320’s significance to gaming in 2020 is vastly overstated - no one actually cares about their weird, often creepy shit.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I have a shitty opinion/confession.

So About Sony's censorship. I'm starting to find the ani-tubers/anti-SJW channels/etc just as annoying as the SJW crowd. So a couple of niche Japanese games are skipping PS platforms and they're stating that Japanese devs are skipping that platform. Making it a bit of a blanket statement. They like to put those hyperbolic titles in their thumbnails. It confuses me sometimes because while XSeed isn't putting 'Uppers' on PS4 in the West, they're still publishing Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. Atelier Ryza 2 is another one. While their trailer on us ps account was the censored, the game itself isn't.

What I'm saying is those niche titles skipping isn't a big dub, unless the bigger publishers like Sega, Namco-Bandai, Capcom, SQEX, and etc start standing up to Sony, then yeah. Sony can't fuck off with this content policy but it's not enough for me to jump ship. Now, if Persona 6, Final fantasy 16 fall victim then maybeI will. I know where to go to play games like gal gun and the like. (I don't actually play those games anyways.)

Games can be 300 hours long or 8 hours long, at end of the day it’s all about if the game can give us satisfying experience.
Nah. Once I got older, I don't have time to play those super long games. I'd rather play through and finish 4 different games/experiences than grind out materials for 100 hours to get the Ultima Weapon in Kingdom Hearts or whatever I did when I was younger.

You did bring up the "8 hours," which is around what Resident Evil 2 (Remake) was. But again, I did mention "with replayability" such as new costumes, New Game+, etc. This also includes fighting games because their stories are usually only around 3-4 hours, but the actual "fighting" is the replayability.

I can see why people love games like Fallout: New Vegas, AC: Origins, Dragon Age, Diablo, etc., but I feel they're wayyyy too long for me and I find no joy in that regard. Tighten that shit up and get to the point.

But that's just my opinion. To each their own. Flame Shield still up.

Last edited:
The mass effect trilogy doesn't hold up today from a gameplay/mechanic/and animation standpoint making them nigh unplayable now despite their good writing.

The Witcher 3 is not a good video game.

The Batman Arkham games will likely never be topped not just as superhero games but just as third person hand to hand combat adventure games.

Halo's story telling and gameplay don't get talked about enough. Lightyears ahead of their times and better than a lot of stuff that comes out today.

Top Bottom