• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

LeleSocho

Banned
image.php

image.php

With the difference that i'm not japanese so i'm not blinded by patriotism.

Marlowe89

The "palette swaps" for enemies in the Final Mix versions of the Kingdom Hearts series almost always look unbearably fucking ugly and unfitting.

LosDaddie

Banned
With the difference that i'm not japanese so i'm not blinded by patriotism.

:lol I'm not blinded by patriotism. I only play games I enjoy. Fortunately, there are a ton of games on consoles that I enjoy.

It seems fitting someone with an anime avatar is whining about console gaming. :)

Epicman3

Neo Member
I hated Portal 2 to the guts

I don't like any of the FallOuts

I only like Call Of Duty for the multiple-player, I hate the campain mode on all of them.

Street Fighter 4 and Mortal Kombat were just flashy and great art, hated how it played though and just got annoyed quickly.

Mario needs to stop. There's never anything new it's been the same forever now.
Sonic... Don't even get me started...

There, I said it.

Oh, I also hate all of the Final Fanteises, they just never appealed to me.

There I'm done.

saucylion

gears of war and metal gear solid 4 were only considered good because they were the first "big" exclusives on their platform.

Metal Gear Solid has always had an god awful story, that thinks its being clever but really isn't.

The top 10 "hd" games of this generation were all multiplatform.

Anustart

Super Mario World is the worst mario game. Sure there's tons of levels, but man, I just HATE that game. Can't play it, and I feel a like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders after saying this.

people blaming 'lazy developers' for bad PS3 ports

you know who you should be blaming? Sony.
So how do you explain games like Darksiders, Arkham Asylum/City, Castlevania: LoS, or Dead Space 1&2 which compare favorably to even top tier 360 exclusives and run equally well on both platforms? Witchcraft?

Coolwhip

Banned
Mine:

Big budget, 'cinematic' games are terrible. I never enjoyed playing one. Games should first and foremost be about having fun. So far the fun part takes a back seat when game developers start to focus on voiceacting, realistic animations, story. Even when all of those are usually poorly executed. I prefer a Mario, Starcraft or Tetris over those.

(maybe they will get it right in the future, but so far, no)

Mine:

Big budget, 'cinematic' games are terrible. I never enjoyed playing one. Games should first and foremost be about having fun. So far the fun part takes a back seat when game developers start to focus on voiceacting, realistic animations, story. Even when all of those are usually poorly executed. I prefer a Mario, Starcraft or Tetris over those.

(maybe they will get it right in the future, but so far, no)

I remember being in some presentation of Max Payne 3 last year, in which they were bragging and gushing over Max' realistic animations and whatnot, while I was there sitting and thinking ,,I really don't give a shit about these things''.
I perhaps wouldn't mind these games if they at least went for more creative scenarios and art style instead of copying Hollywood summer blockbusters.
Character design is probably the worst offender. Were all the character designers in this generation fired? I can't put into words how much I hate ,,bald, grim looking guy'' and I won't buy a game that stars him on principle. Mostly, if the design is used in a games, it's pretty much totally uninteresting to me in every other aspect too.
I was never the greatest supporter of the big Western publishers, but they completely lost me in this gen.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Since there's currently a Final Fantasy thread...

Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game of all time.

The switch to 3D made this one of the worst looking games of all time (Limbo of the Lost is more graphically impressive.) There is absolutely no reason why the in-combat characters are made of high quality models where the out of combat characters look like Lego MiniFigs. The writing is terrible and it essentially all boils down to Sephiroth being the world's biggest emo who misses his dead mother. The only positive thing I can say about FF7 is that the Materia system was an interesting way of handling magic.

And don't get me started on FF8, I think Spoony has that well covered: The Spoony One's extended review.
I think they were trying to be consistent with the super deformed art style of the 2D games, but with the low polygon budget they gave themselves, it just ended up looking odd. With FFIX they were much more familiar with the PS1 hardware and finally got the concept right. Same reason why FFVI sprites look so "primitive" next to Chrono Trigger sprites, they could have made those sprites a lot more detailed if they wanted too. As for the higher quality battle models, I guess it's a carry over from FFVI bosses looking squat and tiny in the field and then super detailed in battle, only this time they did it with the player characters.

IzzyF3

Final Fantasy XII was a terrible game. Never had I have to force myself through a game. It was a single player wannabe MMORPG with a battle system where the player doesn't do anything because the gambit system has covered it all was beyond passive.

As if running through open and empty fields where the gambit system fought all my battles wasn't bad enough, the story was filled with ridiculously lengthy fetch quests that doesn't amount to any solid characters or relationships with the exception of Vaan and Penelo.

dc89

Final Fantasy XII was a terrible game. Never had I have to force myself through a game. It was a single player wannabe MMORPG with a battle system where the player doesn't do anything because the gambit system has covered it all was beyond passive.

As if running through open and empty fields where the gambit system fought all my battles wasn't bad enough, the story was filled with ridiculously lengthy fetch quests that doesn't amount to any solid characters or relationships with the exception of Vaan and Penelo.

I thought that too, until I went back to it this year after not playing it since launch.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So how do you explain games like Darksiders, Arkham Asylum/City, Castlevania: LoS, or Dead Space 1&2 which compare favorably to even top tier 360 exclusives and run equally well on both platforms? Witchcraft?

More interested in hearing how he would explain Final Fantasy XIII being better on PS3 than 360. Lazy developers, or are Microsoft to blame?

IzzyF3

StarCraft? StarCraft 2 you mean?

That game is probably more cutscene heavy than virtually any non-Metal Gear game.

Xenosaga says hi. I had a Logitech wireless controller at the time and the controller always turns off on me whenever one of those 15 minute cut scenes come on. Not that I mind, I love cut scenes when it's done well.

BigDes

Xenosaga says hi. I had a Logitech wireless controller at the time and the controller always turns off on me whenever one of those 15 minute cut scenes come on. Not that I mind, I love cut scenes when it's done well.

You must have hated when it happened in Xenosaga then

Yasae

Banned
More interested in hearing how he would explain Final Fantasy XIII being better on PS3 than 360. Lazy developers, or are Microsoft to blame?
Hard to say.

It's interesting to note that the resolution is identical for both versions of FFXIII-2, a notable departure from its predecessor. However, the 360 version definitely chugs more (generally from 2-6 FPS) during the big FPS drops the game sometimes has, and its video is noticeably more compressed. Considering how many FPS drops there are and how well FF XIII performed on both, I would say there's slop involved with the sequel, at least.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Hard to say.

It's interesting to note that the resolution is identical for both versions of FFXIII-2, a notable departure from its predecessor. However, the 360 version definitely chugs more (generally from 2-6 FPS) during the big FPS drops the game sometimes has, and its video is noticeably more compressed. Considering how many FPS drops there are and how well FF XIII performed on both, I would say there's slop involved with the sequel, at least.

Doesn't FF XIII-2 run better on the 360 than the original did, but worse on the PS3 than the original did?

NinjaBoiX

Dead space is terrible. The action is average at the very best, it's not very pretty, all scares are predictable and stupid as it throws them at you all the fucking time. Music is pretty good but everything else is really not that good. Really the reason for my strong hate is probably that there is a lot of potential, it's just so badly done.

Aw man, you used to be one of my favourite posters, you had to go and ruin it! :[

But seriously, you don't even rate the controls? I think they are utterly sublime, maybe my favourite TPS scheme this gen (vying with Vanquish), particularly with the sequel. And the graphics are rather impressive too IMO. I mean, if you don't dig the setting, and find the scares predictable (I can see that) then I can understand your dissapointment. But as a gamer, can you not appreciate the rock solid mechanics at least? Surely that makes it at least OK, rather than a complete write off.

Yasae

Banned
Doesn't FF XIII-2 run better on the 360 than the original did, but worse on the PS3 than the original did?
If we were to take resolution out of the equation: in terms of performance, it runs worse on both. There are quite a few noticeable frame drops in each version, though it is more severe on the 360 version.

I was really surprised by how many drops there were - about every other cutsene it's hitting low and mid twenties, over and over again (!!!) Honestly I'd take a lower resolution if it meant better FPS, I'm just not sure it would.

NBtoaster

Different engines that have different uses for the different strengths and weaknesses of the two consoles.

It's not as black and white as some people like to think. "Lazy developers" is just a garbage excuse in most cases, people work hard on games.

NinjaBoiX

gears of war and metal gear solid 4 were only considered good because they were the first "big" exclusives on their platform.

Metal Gear Solid has always had an god awful story, that thinks its being clever but really isn't.

The top 10 "hd" games of this generation were all multiplatform.

I dunno, wasn't Gears the best looking console game ever when it came out, technically speaking? And it remained so for quite some time. And the sublime and relatively unique cover mechanics, brilliant co-op, awesome weapons, enemy AI and variety, none of that had anything to do with it, right?

But yeah, MGS4 is garbage. Horrendous, robotic and restricive controls, awful, drawn out narrative, laughable sound effects (those death screams man, my god), ugly effects, the fire is some of the worst I've ever seen. The music is good, that's it for me. I fucking hate that game.

Yasae

Banned
Dead space is terrible. The action is average at the very best, it's not very pretty, all scares are predictable and stupid as it throws them at you all the fucking time. Music is pretty good but everything else is really not that good. Really the reason for my strong hate is probably that there is a lot of potential, it's just so badly done.
Eh, yes and no. I do think it falls into lots of sci-fi story contrivances and tends to be shallow and Hollywoodish in how it portrays characters and their arcs (not that would I expect different given the game's publisher and audience). That said, I would strongly disagree with the frequency of scares. They're occasionally jumbled too close together, but most are given ample theatrical space.

I would say this feature alone makes or breaks the game. You can easily destroy tension with repetitive jump scares. I don't feel Dead Space fell into that rut.

I don't care about "Day 1 DLC" and the perceived value of the "base game" in relation to it. You either think the base game is worth the money or you don't and you make a decision about it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

NinjaBoiX

I don't care about "Day 1 DLC" and the perceived value of the "base game" in relation to it. You either think the base game is worth the money or you don't and you make a decision about it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

This is exactly my point of view, regardless how much or how soon the DLC monster rears his ugly head, if you feel the content on the disc was worth the money, you have no cause for compliant.

Someone in the "Bethesda spend a week modding Skyrim" thread posted that all the awesome stuff they came up with should have been in the game in the first place. I couldn't believe it, he apparently felt short changed by Skyrim.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 are horrible and everything it does Eternal Darkness did better

-better controls
-better story
-better atmosphere
-better voice acting
-better camera
-better scary

Got another one. (Sorry if someone's already beat me to it.)

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are both on the same level. Trigger is an damn fantastic game, but it's absolutely not better than Cross.

Overdoziz

Banned
I dislike Mass Effect and Gears of War simply because the combat in those games doesn't work well. It's slow, clunky and incredibly awkward at close range. I always feel so limited in my movement and aiming that it ruins the games for me.

Also, holding A to sprint is terrible.

spekkeh

Banned
Eh, yes and no. I do think it falls into lots of sci-fi story contrivances and tends to be shallow and Hollywoodish in how it portrays characters and their arcs (not that would I expect different given the game's publisher and audience). That said, I would strongly disagree with the frequency of scares. They're occasionally jumbled too close together, but most are given ample theatrical space.

I would say this feature alone makes or breaks the game. You can easily destroy tension with repetitive jump scares. I don't feel Dead Space fell into that rut.
Can't speak for one, but I got soo tired from fighting monsters in every frickin small room in 2 that I just stopped playing altogether. There seems to be no pacing in that game whatsoever.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 are horrible and everything it does Eternal Darkness did better

-better controls
-better story
-better atmosphere
-better voice acting
-better camera
-better scary

Well, that bolded part is a huge reach, but definitely with you on the controls, voice acting, and camera. I do believe Silent Hill 3 has better atmosphere than ED, but ED is better than SH2 in the same regard.

One area Silent Hill crushes it in though is puzzles. SH3 had some devilish shit when it came to puzzles...

let's start with something easy

Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game ever, it's absolutely perfect

PH and ST are excellent games and better than Minish Cap in every aspect

the original LOZ bores me to tears

Danielsan

I actually enjoy Twisted Metal 3 and 4
Twisted Metal 4 was my first Twisted Metal game and I loved it. I later went back to Twisted Metal 2 and I didn't like it half as much.

All is fine in the world though because I consider Black to be the best in the series.

After trying to finish it today, I'm pretty sure that Final Fantasy XIII is the hardest game I've played this generation. I have played Demon's Souls and Super Meat Boy - those game have nothing on this.

spekkeh

Banned
After trying to finish it today, I'm pretty sure that Final Fantasy XIII is the hardest game I've played this generation. I have played Demon's Souls and Super Meat Boy - those game have nothing on this.
I think I actually agree with this one, although it has more to do with it being terribly obtuse, getting an insta-death ten minutes into a battle with a sudden attack you didn't encounter before.

I very much doubt that more than a small percentage of people finished that game without grinding or looking things up on the internet.

edeo

I dislike Mass Effect and Gears of War simply because the combat in those games doesn't work well. It's slow, clunky and incredibly awkward at close range. I always feel so limited in my movement and aiming that it ruins the games for me.

Also, holding A to sprint is terrible.

Everyone complains about Uncharted's gunplay, but Mass Effect's is much worse. I can't even switch shoulders to look over. I'll take cover behind a column but the game will refuse to let me peek out. Then I have to lumber from behind cover to even see an enemy and get shot to pieces (on hardest difficulty at least)

As for FFXIII, I think it's more about the difficulty being uneven. You'll handle random battles easily, but bosses will be much tougher.

nel e nel

The majority of gamers are willfully ignorant of the actual realities of game development.

Never underestimate gamers unconscious desire to be pandered to.

qq more

let's start with something easy

Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game ever, it's absolutely perfect

PH and ST are excellent games and better than Minish Cap in every aspect

the original LOZ bores me to tears

I'm not a huge Zelda fan but I agree that PH and ST aren't as bad as people made them out to be (especially ST) but ehhhhh I think MC is a much better game. But to each their own! (What did you think of MC overall though? Personally I love it)

And yeah I don't think I enjoyed the original LOZ much either. But for different reasons. You never start with FULL health after dying. Seriously, hate restarting with 3 hearts when I have 6 at maximum. Bad enough recovery hearts are kind of hard to get. I'd also like to mention the game is feels kind of too cryptic sometimes.

I shudder every time people want Zelda to go back to be like the original game.

If we were to take resolution out of the equation: in terms of performance, it runs worse on both. There are quite a few noticeable frame drops in each version, though it is more severe on the 360 version.

I was really surprised by how many drops there were - about every other cutsene it's hitting low and mid twenties, over and over again (!!!) Honestly I'd take a lower resolution if it meant better FPS, I'm just not sure it would.

FF13-2 drops only when it rains AKA bresha ruins 005AF , and the plains XXXAF during certains weather conditions..
Other than that i didn't see this game drop in frames .

Top Bottom