• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rakuten analyst ups his prediction, "PS5 will sell 200M-300M units in 5-6 years, data suggests 700M units long term is possible"

bender

What time is it?
I should look into an Anal job.

2956561-2603187-4262886689-25578.gif

Aidah

I mean at this point why stop at 700 million. Let's make it a cool 15 billion. 2 PS5s for every person on earth.

You know what, I'm on the analyst's side, I'm betting a whole penny on him being right.

Last edited:

Brofist

Someone didn't tell him people don't even buy regular home consoles in his country anymore (Nintendo not included)

Last edited:

Aidah

Someone didn't tell him people don't even buy regular home consoles in his country anymore (Nintendo not included)
Isn't Playstation 4 at around 10 million in Japan? Doesn't that make it 2nd after the US on a country level for PS4?

Of course I'm not defending this meth addict though, don't get me wrong.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Did he work for Microsoft in the past? Maybe he was the one who convinced them that the XBox One would sell 1 billion units, lol.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
If it was written as ""PS5.... will sell 200M-300M units ....in 5-6 years,.....data suggests .....700M units long term..... is possible....." then it would make sense.

Why exclude Nintendo?.
It's not a regular home console. Your statement is correct.

Ps5 will be lucky selling 10m in Japan.
The console is expensive and huge.
Cost reductions are not in sight. Maybe 4 years down the line

Kagey K

Banned
Why exclude Nintendo?.
It's not a regular home console. Your statement is correct.

Ps5 will be lucky selling 10m in Japan.
The console is expensive and huge.
Cost reductions are not in sight. Maybe 4 years down the line
Even just shrinking that motherboard is going to be a massive challenge without some serious die shrink breakthroughs. Unless they go ahead and brute force that bitch in half like MS did.

mistakable

Neo Member
200-700m.... 500m range?
Whoever is on the stats team there needs fired. That's an awful prediction. Shit, may as well move it back 200m and then you got all your basis covered.

I predict 0-500m consoles will sell.
Magic. :messenger_beaming:

ruvikx

Banned
lmfao what the fuck ever.
delusional level: 99

It's like economies here might be tanking, people are losing their jobs, Covid 19 is buggering up the west in multiple ways but in some parallel fantasy universe, Playstation will double its sales this gen even when games here now cost 80 freaking euros.

I'd politely say it's unlikely but everyone has an opinion etc.

Mokus

Reaching 150 million units sold would be a huge achievement. Anything else over that, is just crazy talk.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
That's not even credible. Even if we take peak Wii craze or Switch 2020 consistently for 5, 200 million would not even be reached.

Chastten

Banned
I can see a console doing 200 million if the competition completely tanks and you're the only one in the market. Both PS2 and NDS were in that situation and did 150 million. And I'd say the market now is bigger than it was back then.

Even so, I don't think Switch sales will slow down all that soon, and I doubt Xbox is gonna drop the ball as hard as they did last gen, so... doubtful.

I'm sure the PS5 will do a great and I can easily see it do 100-150 million though.

Tschumi

to be honest, this analyst sounds like a dude a couple years away from retirement trying to show he's still got it by flying by the seat of his pants into a hurricane :messenger_grinning_sweat:

turtlepowa

Banned
I don’t think they will. They have much more to lose than they can gain.

They are starting strong out of the gates, but I don’t think they can hold the momentum.
I also don't think they can beat PS4. In 2013 they had absolutely no competition because of Microsoft's mistakes and the price advantage and Nintendo was dead at that time. Now they have two serious competitors and neither the cheapest nor the strongest console.

hemo memo

Gold Member
200?? 300?? 700 million??????!!! “Chief Analyst”!!!

Is he high? What kind of “prediction” is this?

Top Bottom