• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2014 |OT| Return of 18 hour Fasting, From Dawn till Dusk. Hard Mode Redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugyjlJk.jpg

Welcome to the official Ramadan 2014 thread. This is the second official Ramadan thread on neogaf. Here's one from 2013. Since most of the FAQ stuff was already covered in the 2013 thread, I will shamelessly reuse the material.

I will use Colorado State University website to help out with the details

What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. The much-anticipated start of the month is based on a combination of physical sightings of the moon and astronomical calculations. The practice varies from place to place, some places relying heavily on sighting reports and others totally on calculations. In the United States, most communities follow the decision of the Islamic Society of North America, which accepts bonafide sightings of the new moon anywhere in the United States as the start of the new month. The end of the month, marked by the celebration of 'Eid-ul-Fitr, is similarly determined.
Why is Ramadan special?
Ramadan is a special month of the year for over one billion Muslims throughout the world. It is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Muslims think of it as a kind of tune-up for their spiritual lives. There are as many meanings of Ramadan as there are Muslims.

The third "pillar" or religious obligation of Islam, fasting has many special benefits. Among these, the most important is that it is a means of learning self-control. Due to the lack of preoccupation with the satisfaction of bodily appetites during the daylight hours of fasting, a measure of ascendancy is given to one's spiritual nature, which becomes a means of coming closer to God. Ramadan is also a time of intensive worship, reading of the Qur'an, giving charity, purifying one's behavior, and doing good deeds.

As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. Fasting is also beneficial to the health and provides a break in the cycle of rigid habits or overindulgence.
Who Fasts in Ramadan?
While voluntary fasting is recommended for Muslims, during Ramadan fasting becomes obligatory. Sick people, travelers, and women in certain conditions are exempted from the fast but must make it up as they are able. Perhaps fasting in Ramadan is the most widely practiced of all the Muslim forms of worship.
What are the requirements of fasting during Ramadan?
The daily period of fasting starts at the breaking of dawn and ends at the setting of the sun. In between -- that is, during the daylight hours -- Muslims totally abstain from food, drink, smoking, and marital sex. The usual practice is to have a pre-fast meal (suhoor) before dawn and a post-fast meal (iftar) after sunset.
Last 10 days of Ramadan
The last ten days of Ramadan are a time of special spiritual power as everyone tries to come closer to God through devotions and good deeds. The night on which the first verses of the Qur'an were revealed to the Prophet, known as the Night of Power (Lailat ul-Qadr), is generally taken to be the 27th night of the month. The Qur'an states that this night is better than a thousand months. Therefore many Muslims spend the entire night in prayer.

During the month, Muslims try to read as much of the Qur'an as they can. Most try to read the whole book at least once. Some spend part of their day listening to the recitation of the Qur'an in a mosque.
Food!!
Since Ramadan is a special time, Muslims in many parts of the world prepare certain favorite foods during this month.

It is a common practice for Muslims to break their fast at sunset with dates (iftar), following the custom of Prophet Muhammad. This is followed by the sunset prayer, which is followed by dinner. Since Ramadan emphasizes community aspects and since everyone eats dinner at the same time, Muslims often invite one another to share in the Ramadan evening meal.

Some Muslims find that they eat less for dinner during Ramadan than at other times due to stomach contraction. However, as a rule, most Muslims experience little fatigue during the day since the body becomes used to the altered routine during the first week of Ramadan.
During Ramadan, Muslims share meals with their neighbors, break fast together, and share delicacies as well. Neogaffers share what they eat during iftar and how their fasts are going. Most of the time, Muslim families cook and eat food they do not for the rest of the year. At Ohio State (the school I went to), we invited fellow non-Muslims to take part in fasting, early morning suhoor meals and iftar dinners. In this spirit, everyone is invited to try a day or two of fasting and see how it feels to be famished :)

Ramadan begins in less than a week. ISNA (Islamic Society of North America) has pegged 28th June 2014 as the start of Ramadan and the fast-a-thon. It's helpful to do tryouts before it actually starts so the body gets tuned when Ramadan actually starts, and you don't go crazy in your first day of fasting at work/school. This year will be the LONGEST fasting in maybe 2 decades, basically fasting from 3 AM to 9 PM in North America and most of Europe. Return of the 18 hour fasts.

Let your bodies begin the spiritual detox.

Edit: Oops, meant to write From Dawn till Dusk. Can a mod change the title :p

i am ready. I want more control over my behavior and language this year. Thanks for making thread. I really pray that all people stop fighting for the sake of Ramadan.

Sigmaah

I ain't ready, not even gonna lie. I'll try to stick with it as much as possible and not do "haram" things but I dunno. I haven't been very religious at all lately. We'll see what happens.

Matt_C

There are some Muslim coworkers that work overnight my shift, I wonder if they would also eat twice a day, before sunrise and after sunset too while fasting overnight and in daylight? I feel akward asking this to my coworkers since I feel that talking about religion is not polite but I hope the coworkers would see it as a "how do you celebrate the Holy month" kind of topic.

This is going to be brutal but I'm gonna try my best to fast as many days as possible. Ramadan is a very fulfilling month and ever day of fast feels like a major accomplishment.

Kisaya

Getting kinda annoyed with everyone telling me "are you ready for Ramadan??" I'm glad it ends right before August though since I'll be out of town and I won't feel like an asshole about it.

We'll all be okay. For me it's always been pretty easy to fast. What sucks is missing out on going out with friends and staying at home instead.

Zapages

I have to teach how to do dissections all Ramadan. Its going to be about 16 hours of no food and water. So looking forward to it. So not ready. :\

Not muslim but wish all you well during this time. Every day is like Ramadan for me as I usually only eat late in the evenings once a day. Hah. Not so hard but I guess if you aren't used to it maybe it is.

This is going to be my schedule:

12 AM: Go to bed
3-3:30 AM: Wake up to eat suhoor, pray Fajr and go back to sleep.
8:30 AM: Wake up, go to work.
5:30 PM: Return from work, go to sleep
8 PM: Wake up, pray Asr, get ready for Iftar and break the fast at Maghrib
10:30 PM: Pray Isha and pray the late night taraweeh prayers

Repeat. It's going to be crazy!

Salih

I am sooo mentally ready for ramadan. My body is also ready.

Inshallah I will stay awake every night, using most of that time for taraweeh prayer, qur'an recitation and learning surahs and sleep for 5 hours after eating suhoor and praying Fajr. I will spend most of my daytime at my university.

fasting is not the problem during ramadan. There are more inconspicuous ways that could break your fast. Don't argue with people during this month and watch your tongue. This is way harder than just not eating/drinking.

What up Ramadan-gaf, this year is gonna be tough, Fajr~3:30 am Magrib ~10 pm. I am thinking of getting an xbox one to pass the time during the day.

Whoooo
I'm going to have an excuse to stay in the house all day
Whoooo

NEver experienced winter fasts, summer is what I'm used to, that's how I started

I can just stay up all night and sleep all day
Although it probably won't end up working that way

2nd year of full on fasting no misses, 3rd of fasting most days

Btw, does anyone else experience no food not really being the hardest part by far, but rather the random times you just instinctively try to drink something, or in my case, chew on things like pens, springs, bite straws, etc.
some of you probably are horrified, just something I happen to do a bunch

EDIT: OH FUCK, I'm in India for this. SHIIIT
I always wake up at the first blackout of the day (10 or 11), my plan won't have any effect,

Btw, does anyone else experience no food not really being the hardest part by far, but rather the random times you just instinctively try to drink something, or in my case, chew on things like pens, springs, bite straws, etc.
some of you probably are horrified, just something I happen to do a bunch
The hardest part is what to do when you have nothing to do. We instinctively go to the fridge/kitchen and start eating and drinking, and suppressing that instinct is key. Other times when you are busy praying, working or studying, your mind does not go to the fridge. But that's the challenge you accept, and also win. This Friday the khateeb focused the sermon on fasting, and he said something very important. Ramadan is when you can prove that you are the master of your body, not the other way round.

Alhumdulillah.

Maghrib is just past 9 PM, Fajr is around 3:15 AM here in Toronto. Good thing is, the fasts will get shorter as the month progresses.

Won't be the case in a few years.

Thirst and hunger are not an issue at all for me after the first couple of days but the sleep schedule can become extremely hectic...especially considering that Isha salah is at 11 PM, with Isha+Taraweeh clocking in a good 2 to 2.5 hours. Probably finish salah at around 1-1:30 AM then have just over an hour and a half before the start of fasting.

Could've stayed in Chicago during Ramadhan for the slightly shorter fasts but then would miss out on the family experience. My family really needs to move down to Texas or something.

The hardest part is what to do when you have nothing to do. We instinctively go to the fridge/kitchen and start eating and drinking, and suppressing that instinct is key. Other times when you are busy praying, working or studying, your mind does not go to the fridge. But that's the challenge you accept, and also win. This Friday the khateeb focused the sermon on fasting, and he said something very important. Ramadan is when you can prove that you are the master of your body, not the other way round.

Yeah, typically I either just sleep, play with my cat, computer, and my backlog. Night is typically when I go to the masjid, do various religious things

Something funny, I remember my first year fasting, I sometimes watched the food channel in my spare time when I was really bored. Doesn't actually bother me unless I smell it, and even then that's not so much

Alhumdulillah.

Maghrib is just past 9 PM, Fajr is around 3:15 AM here in Toronto. Good thing is, the fasts will get shorter as the month progresses.

Won't be the case in a few years.

Thirst and hunger are not an issue at all for me after the first couple of days but the sleep schedule can become extremely hectic...especially considering that Isha salah is at 11 PM, with Isha+Taraweeh clocking in a good 2 to 2.5 hours. Probably finish salah at around 1-1:30 AM then have just over an hour and a half before the start of fasting.

Could've stayed in Chicago during Ramadhan for the slightly shorter fasts but then would miss out on the family experience. My family really needs to move down to Texas or something.

What, for the humid and hot summers? I mean, if you're staying inside the entire time, it's better, but still

Plus, when it's winter, you get the better deal

What, for the humid and hot summers? I mean, if you're staying inside the entire time, it's better, but still

Heat and humidity is only a real factor if you're in a field that requires strenuous outdoor activity.

Plus, when it's winter, you get the better deal

There's a hadeeth about this where 'Aisha radhiallaahu 'anha was asked why she preferred fasting in the summer (these are optional fasts) rather than the winter...

Linkhero1

I'm excited for this year. It should be great.

I'm working on bettering myself this year. I never went in with the mindset the previous few years but this year is different.

I think the important thing is that you carry on most of your daily activities as normal. I know of some people who sleep thru the day, wake up at 4pm, whine for a couple of hours before breaking their "fast" and then partying till 2am. If that's your normal routine, fine I guess. However, it's not - it shouldn't be!

Kraftwerk

My body is ready!

3 years of intermittent fasting has made me used to not eating, but the not drinking part is still tough.

Question;

I know if you have to take medication it doesn't break the fast, but you are supposed to take the medication without water correct?

Lamel

Banned
The workouts are going to be the hard part, particularly while working full time. Let's see how well I hold up.

My body is ready!

3 years of intermittent fasting has made me used to not eating, but the not drinking part is still tough.

Question;

I know if you have to take medication it doesn't break the fast, but you are supposed to take the medication without water correct?

As far as I know, any medication you take orally (with water or otherwise) will invalidate your fast (others can correct me). Most diabetic Muslims try to take their medication before or after fasting, under approval from their doctors.

As far as I know, any medication you take orally (with water or otherwise) will invalidate your fast (others can correct me). Most diabetic Muslims try to take their medication before or after fasting, under approval from their doctors.

my parents would take before and after fasting as well, so I'm not entirely sure

my parents would take before and after fasting as well, so I'm not entirely sure

I was reading about it earlier, but it's very important to keep the doctor in the loop. There is some risk associated with diabetes and fasting for long period of time.
Most Muslim religious authorities accept that if a person is advised by a trusted health professional (such as a doctor or nurse) that fasting is harmful to his or her health, then that person is exempted from fasting.4 The risks of fasting include hypoglycaemia, hyperglycaemia, and dehydration. The EPIDIAR study found that the change in eating patterns during Ramadan increased the risk of severe hypoglycaemia 4.7-fold (from 3 to 14 events per 100 people per month) in type 1 diabetes and 7.5-fold (from 0.4 to 3 events per 100 people per month) in type 2 diabetes. It also found a fivefold increase in the incidence of severe hyperglycaemia in patients with type 2 diabetes during Ramadan. A small observational study (n=41) conducted in 1998 found an increase in symptomatic hypoglycaemia,5 but other studies have not found a significant increase in the risk of hypoglycaemia during Ramadan in patients treated with oral hypoglycaemic medications or insulin.

Beyonce concert is the day before Ramadan starts, now I don't have to smuggle food in and feel guilty for singing along to Partition while fasting, yaaaasss. XD

My soul is ready my body is not. I quit all caffeine drinks this week so I don't have a blazing headache like every year in the beginning

The only trick that works is to keep your mind busy . The moment you get bored you get hungry and you start thinking of all the food you never thought of before.

Kraftwerk

My soul is ready my body is not. I quit all caffeine drinks this week so I don't have a blazing headache like every year in the beginning

The only trick that works is to keep your mind busy . The moment you get bored you get hungry and you start thinking of all the food you never thought of before.

Pretty much. Boredom is the worst when fasting. You ONLY think about food when you are bored.

I have a bunch of books lined up to read.

Best wishes, Muslim-Gaf.

I use to get through Ramadan with relative easy growing up in Dubai. However, in my time Stateside, I have found that I gain immense weight fasting that I no longer participate :( the last time I fast was 4 years ago and I hit 19 pounds in extra fat

Edit: 9, not 19.

I used to gain weight like you until I adjusted my strategy.

Ate 600 calories in the Sehri and 600 calories in Iftaari and then 200-300 calories an hour after that

The Sehri should comprise of medium carb, medium sugar and high protein food so you don't get thirsty and you have energy, don't overdo the carbs in the morning. Make up for the carbs at Iftaari and then eat the 200 calorie food as low carb, low sugar and high protein

orochi91

Beyonce concert is the day before Ramadan starts, now I don't have to smuggle food in and feel guilty for singing along to Partition while fasting, yaaaasss. XD

LMAO, you're lucky. I have a long shift at work the day it starts D':

I'm hoping for mild weather here in Canada this summer.

Best wishes, Muslim-Gaf.

I use to get through Ramadan with relative easy growing up in Dubai. However, in my time Stateside, I have found that I gain immense weight fasting that I no longer participate :( the last time I fast was 4 years ago and I hit 19 pounds in extra fat

Edit: 9, not 19.

I guess that can happen if you go to large iftars next to every single or every other day

Maybe try limiting that, try not to eat until you're entirely full

Pretty sure there's a hadith reccomending that in general, somethign about 1/3 air, 1/3 water, and 1/3 food should comprise your stomach's contents

And for suhoor, something like 1-2 sandwiches personally works for me. Long as there's protein of some kind in it, I'm good

LNBL

Funny to see certain users turning out to be muslim. I'm ready for it, though it's always the forst day that's going to be the hardest. I'm usually not that hungry during the days so i am going to try hitting the gym before iftar( anyone else familiar with workin out surinf this month?). My goals are certainly to eat less after iftar and turn down on the sugar as well.

orochi91

I know tons of people who gain weight during Ramadan. They get super excited during Iftar, and binge eat like crazy.

I used to gain weight like you until I adjusted my strategy.

Ate 600 calories in the Sehri and 600 calories in Iftaari and then 200-300 calories an hour after that

The Sehri should comprise of medium carb, medium sugar and high protein food so you don't get thirsty and you have energy, don't overdo the carbs in the morning. Make up for the carbs at Iftaari and then eat the 200 calorie food as low carb, low sugar and high protein

What we do at home now is cook actual dinner that lasts a couple iftars/sehris, whereas
in previous years we would devour a whole lot of fried shit.

What spurred us to change our diet during Ramadan was the ballooning waists of our family friends lol.

The Sehri should comprise of medium carb, medium sugar and high protein food so you don't get thirsty and you have energy, don't overdo the carbs in the morning.
What does all of that translate to desi food? :p I know no food will last more than 6 hours in your belly, but it's always good to know the better variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom