• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2017 |OT| Let the real Hunger Games begin!

Bastables

I know I've got spicy chicken in the fridge from me mum, plus coconut rice, but I keep playing out in my mind going out and getting some chicken Korma, or even getting some greek pizza.

Two hours chaps and I'm imagining what I could be eating. Inshallah I hope you're all doing better Ramadan Gaf.

orochi91

Think I'm getting ill already, good lord. Dry throat from hell considering the 17 hour fast.
I was dealing with that recently; green tea mixed with honey works wonders.

Drank a cup everyday during evenings, and my throat cleared up after several days of doing so.

NEO0MJ

To all of you guys: have you been playing any games recently? I basically play in the night time and because I go to Taraweeh, I've had no time to play :(. Yesterday I played a bunch since I didn't go to the mosque but besides that, I've been booked.

Persona 5 and Tekken 7 mostly.

Numb

Hey, welcome to the thread! Hope you guys are having a great Ramadan.

To all of you guys: have you been playing any games recently? I basically play in the night time and because I go to Taraweeh, I've had no time to play :(. Yesterday I played a bunch since I didn't go to the mosque but besides that, I've been booked.

Only Tekken 7
No time for anything else

Overwatch. By the time I've eaten there isn't much time to enjoy before praying and sleeping. Persona 5 if I get home a little early and feel like squeezing if in. Probably mix it up with Tekken during the week now though. To be fair I only play a bit during a normal work week nowadays anyways.

Yeah, generally my play time is shorter in Ramadan. I play Vanquish and Guild Wars 2 nowadays. I usually play as soon as I get home until Maghrib. Then after Taraweeh I could continue playing for like an hour or two. Taraweeh is not that long here, only 8 rakaat + 3 rakaat of witr which would take roughly 1 hour from Isha in average.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

How long is your Taraweeh? Here we started at around 7 and finished around 8.15 or so, and considering I always sleep at 11 or midnight I can sneak around game time 3-4 hours every night... guess I am lucky, haha.

As to what games I play, usually Ghost Recon Wildlands and Rise of Tomb Raider with a splash of Xcom2.

Anon67

How long is your Taraweeh? Here we started at around 7 and finished around 8.15 or so, and considering I always sleep at 11 or midnight I can sneak around game time 3-4 hours every night... guess I am lucky, haha.

As to what games I play, usually Ghost Recon Wildlands and Rise of Tomb Raider with a splash of Xcom2.

Eh what? Where do you live?? Taraweeh here in North Carolina starts at 10 and end at around 11:20PM. I usually go to bed once I get home at around 11:40 since I have work at 8AM the next day, so I don't play.

Actually, yesterday I played Destiny until 1AM because I am seeing if I can do this more often without falling asleep the next day at work...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Eh what? Where do you live?? Taraweeh here in North Carolina starts at 10 and end at around 11:20PM. I usually go to bed once I get home at around 11:40 since I have work at 8AM the next day, so I don't play.

Actually, yesterday I played Destiny until 1AM because I am seeing if I can do this more often without falling asleep the next day at work...

Indonesia. We also only need to fast for only around 13 hours or so.

Aki-at

Someone says this every year. :p

It was my alternate account! :p

So get them one gift for their birthday and say it's for both occasions and so is twice as good as two gifts. Bam, awesome uncle status (and wallet) maintained.

This feels like such a politicians answer haha.

They're young enough to still be tricked though!

Get them half a fidget spinner on their birthday and another half on Eid.

My nephew showed this off to me and I don't know why this is so popular.

Trying to clear my backlog so I've been going through Ni-Oh but I ended up buying Fate Morgana the other day and Vanquish. Just when I think I'm clearing it another few games come to eat my time up.

Tizoc

I saw those apinner things for the forst time yesterday when my nephews came to visit

Qaranqasho/Gergai3an is soon

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think I'm gonna have cornflakes for iftar today. I need something else besides pakoras and have been craving either cornflakes or fried chicken for iftar.

I'm moderating my iftaars. I'm only eating date and drinking lemonade because on the weekends I get to iftaar parties where there is just too much food to resist. Samosas, pakoras, dahi vada, etc. Then there is biryani. If I ate that everyday I'll easily gain 10 lbs despite fasting.

Fruit and fiber sehri plan has been working really well so far, don't feel hunger pangs that much and going to work helps as a distraction.

I've been to 4 iftar parties already STAHP lol, j/k they're fun.

BaasRed

Banned
I'm moderating my iftaars. I'm only eating date and drinking lemonade because on the weekends I get to iftaar parties where there is just too much food to resist. Samosas, pakoras, dahi vada, etc. Then there is biryani. If I ate that everyday I'll easily gain 10 lbs despite fasting.

Yeah, that's how I gained weight in Ramadan before. Now im all mango and oranges!

Kickz

2 work lunches this week at buffets, and I am skipping both.

I guess explaining myself is a form of da'wah.

Grug

At the start of the term I promised my grade 7 remedial math class a pizza party in our last lesson of the Semester if the class met their behaviour goals. It's been the absolute core of my behaviour management policy all term!

Last day of semester is Friday 23rd. I only realised 10 minutes ago that Ramadan doesn't end until the 24th. three of my 16 students are Muslim. A few other students have been asking me almost daily "are we still having a pizza party on the last day" and I've kept saying yes. We even did a budget and order sheet (pizzas, drinks, garlic bread, candy etc) as a class maths exercise 3 weeks ago.

Oh dear. I am trying to think of the best way to handle it.

I might have to try and move it to next semester but all our remedial classes rotate then.

Then there is the "do I tell the class why?" decision. Could be a very good teachable moment about culture and tolerance but at the same time I would be devestated if they started blaming our Muslim students, and grade 7s can be very immature and petty. Think it is much safer to err on the side of making up a fake reason.

If anyone can think of a more obvious solution that I am not seeing, please weigh in. I know Ramadan is about sacrifice but all my students have worked hard and I want to reward them as a cohort.

Kickz

At the start of the term I promised my grade 7 remedial math class a pizza party in our last lesson of the Semester if the class met their behaviour goals. It's been the absolute core of my behaviour management policy all term!

Last day of semester is Friday 23rd. I only realised 10 minutes ago that Ramadan doesn't end until the 24th. three of my 16 students are Muslim. A few other students have been asking me almost daily "are we still having a pizza party on the last day" and I've kept saying yes. We even did a budget and order sheet (pizzas, drinks, garlic bread, candy etc) as a class maths exercise 3 weeks ago.

I might have to try and move it to next semester but all our remedial classes rotate then.

Then there is the "do I tell the class why?" decision. Could be a very good teachable moment about culture and tolerance but at the same time I would be devestated if they started blaming our Muslim students, and grade 7s can be very immature and petty. Think it is much safer to err on the side of making up a fake reason.

If anyone can think of a more obvious solution that I am not seeing, please weigh in. I know Ramadan is about sacrifice but all my students have worked hard and I want to reward them as a cohort.

Just let them have the party and don't eat, as it was promised.
If anyone asks any questions then explain

BaasRed

Banned

Keep the party plans. If the muslim kids fast at that age they can take some slices home with them for iftar (breaking the fast).

Grug

Keep the party plans. If the muslim kids fast at that age they can take some slices home with them for iftar (breaking the fast).

Hey, that could work. I'll bring containers in and they can get their share of the pizza and snacks and dump them in my staff-room fridge until home time.

Knew there was something obvious I was missing in my mild liberal panic!

And yeah, I forgot that they don't all necessarily fast at that age. I know that at least does for sure because her parents gave me a heads-up today in case she seemed a bit sluggish in class (that's when it clicked for me).

Just didn't want anyone to feel left out! This will work.

Thanks! :)

Singling out the students does not help, in my opinion. I always feel bad if people make special accommodations for me, or try to go out of their way to make me feel included. Saving them a slice for iftar is the best choice, cancelling the pizza party will make the students feel responsible.

Keep the party, take home food. They'll probably be more than fine with that and don't want to be the reason it was cancelled. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Trader Joes making surprisingly good samosas is a problem for me now. Before I would have to wait until my mom made them and I got a chance to visit home to eat samosas. Now I can binge eat samosas whenever I want.

Ughh 😡

Sai-kun

Banned
Trader Joes making surprisingly good samosas is a problem for me now. Before I would have to wait until my mom made them and I got a chance to visit home to eat samosas. Now I can binge eat samosas whenever I want.

Ughh 😡

trader joes has kind of crazy good frozen food stuff. my partner turned me on to their dumplings awhile back and i swear to god they were drug-laced.

Ughh 😡

I've never had any of Trader Joes food, but I always hear that it's good.

Packaged food is not my thing, especially during Ramadan. Even if I don't have the time, homemade food is a necessity.

trader joes has kind of crazy good frozen food stuff. my partner turned me on to their dumplings awhile back and i swear to god they were drug-laced.

DUDE, yes. I've had their samosas, pasta, dumplings, shrimp, you name it. They've all been delicious. I dont know how they do it but their frozen foods are shockingly great.

Though the chicken tikka serving size is laughably small, its pretty damn good for frozen food.

I've never had any of Trader Joes food, but I always hear that it's good.

Packaged food is not my thing, especially during Ramadan. Even if I don't have the time, homemade food is a necessity.

Theyre really good and you can whip em up in a pinch. I'd highly recommend the dumplings and the coconut shrimp. The shrimp is divine :droool:

Kisaya

Just grabbed a ticket for my city's Eid festivities! I always get excited to see what the booths at the bazaar have to offer >;)

Theyre really good and you can whip em up in a pinch. I'd highly recommend the dumplings and the coconut shrimp. The shrimp is divine :droool:

Thanks for the recommendation. If I get the chance to going to a Trader Joes, then I'll try these out. I live in Montreal, so I would have to go to Vermont.

Just grabbed a ticket for my city's Eid festivities! I always get excited to see what the booths at the bazaar have to offer >;)

I've never been to an Eid Festival, what are they like? Where I come from, it's a huge family gathering, with lots of food.

Kisaya

I've never been to an Eid Festival, what are they like? Where I come from, it's a huge family gathering, with lots of food.

My extended family all live overseas, so we always had to depend on outside activities with the community. In Brooklyn, a local Islamic community normally just gets a permit and will do something something at a park. It starts off with the morning prayer and then activities follow. For example, they get a petting zoo, rides, bouncey house for the kids, and then a bazaar for the adults to shop around. Families set up picnics, etc.

Where I live now in Chicago, they rent out a conventional hall at Navy Pier and it's basically the same minus outdoors. It's an "Eid Expo" haha.

This feeling when you got to choose between suhoor and the final circle of Battleground...

lFNP1hB.png

BosSin

This year fasting seems to have taken a toll on my body. Have had pains in my left knee and lower back soon after I started. I feel like an old man.

Saw the Snapchat story about Ramadan today. I didnt know there was a halloween-esque celebration where little kids dress up and eat candy on the 14th day?

Top Bottom