• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramblings (warning.... rabbit hole up ahead, do not fall down it)

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
FIrst off, you are going to have to bear with me as I was a little stoned while writing this. After I finished, I stepped away for a couple of hours to come back and realize that this was nowhere near as cool as I thought it was when came up with it. I'm sure many of have similar thoughts, but maybe someone will find some entertainment in reading my stoned ramblings.

I was holding my newborn and reflecting on what it meant to exist. As someone who generally views the supernatural as something that is not real, I was weighing the probabilities of how a universe, full of possibly infinite arrangements of matter, finds itself in a particular arrangement where my daughter and I exists. This got me thinking of purpose and if purpose is needed for my daughter and I to exist. If purpose is needed, then something has had to instill that purpose, which necessitates the existence of a "God" to exist.

If purpose is not a prerequisite of existence, then we are here due to presumably infinite rolls of the dice. In this game of chance, where an infinite number of variables are changing, a universe that finds itself in an arrangement where everything we have ever and will ever know exists, must eventually happen. As always, this thought led to another. I began to think of how those little bits of energy, that the make up the arrangement of our universe, and how are they are composed. While I may know a lot of the physics jargon and high-level concepts, when it comes to what it actually going on with concern to the elementary particles, I have fuck all understanding of it. The idea of an electron cloud, particle interactions, weak force, strong force... it's all just vague concepts. I understand that these things happen under what seems to be a set of rules, but I really don't understand what is happening.

Finally, I was thinking of what it would be like if one could exist and perceive the universe as an elementary particle. Would time work the same? I reckon, the shortest amount of time that a human being could ever perceive, is the time it takes to create a single thought. But that single thought happens because of an orchestrated cascade of particle interactions and transfers of energy. These processes happen in a particular sequence, so some amount of time must pass. So, if I could perceive the world as an elementary particle and was one of the particles responsible for that single thought, how long would it take. Does that cascade of interactions end up taking a long time? Does the macroscopic world move at a snales pace to the elementary particle, almost frozen in time? To the particle, could that process take the equivalent of a 100 years?

With this line of thought going, if there was a creature in our world where a single thought would take a traditional 100 years. To us, this creature would be inanimate, but to the creature, we would be a sea of movement and interactions. To such a creature, we would be the equivalent of the electron cloud, weak force, strong force... just vague concepts to the laymen.

Last edited:

badblue

Ice Cube Smoking GIF

KrakenIPA

Congrats on the new kid! Parenthood is a journey into the known and the unknown! As far as thoughts being represented as particles, that is some reeeally deep stuff, but I believe introspection is rarely dangerous. It has been a while since I was a parent but I think the idea is to exercise all potential avenues to embarrass your child, no matter the cost, until the end of time.

Based on your creation of this thread (and your pfp), you're gonna do great!

Good luck new Dad!

Last edited:

Aesius

With this line of thought going, if there was a creature in our world where a single thought would take a traditional 100 years. To us, this creature would be inanimate, but to the creature, we would be a sea of movement and interactions. To such a creature, we would be the equivalent of the electron cloud, weak force, strong force... just vague concepts to the laymen.
I've heard of certain alien life forms theoretically being like this. That perhaps they move so quickly or so slowly that we can't perceive them. Just as certain things are too big or too small for us to perceive (unaided), perhaps things also exist within the realm of time to a degree that we can't perceive.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I've heard of certain alien life forms theoretically being like this. That perhaps they move so quickly or so slowly that we can't perceive them. Just as certain things are too big or too small for us to perceive (unaided), perhaps things also exist within the realm of time to a degree that we can't perceive.
I think I might have came across that idea before. I have found myself thinking of such things, and I'm left trying imagine what such a creature would look like.

We are prisoners of our evolution (or creation). It's fascinating how we use technology to probe realms of the universe that are normally inaccessible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom