• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rambo V: Last Blood OFFICIAL Trailer (different to the Cannes version)

I have seen it. I liked the film overall but it felt very different to the other Rambo's, and if you have watched all the trailers and tv spots, you have literally seen 99% of all the action and kills in the film, literally.
The film is slow and the action ending is about 10mins long.
I'm guessing it was budget related.
That story leak from about a year ago, was much more action packed and epic than the final film.
The film is more like a standard Sly film, and without the little bits of classic Rambo music scattered about, you wouldnt know it was a Rambo film.

I give the film a 6/10.
Rambo films in order for me -

Rambo 2
Rambo 3
First Blod
Last Blood
Rambo 2008.

If you're someone like me who loves the pure none stop action of Rambo 2 and 3, Last Blood probably wont hit that spot for you.
Yeah it felt really off pacing wise.
Not a bad film but not a great one also

LMJ

The reviews thus far just prove that these so called reviewers are so out of touch with the average person that it's just pathetic...

I've read 3 and watched 4 and almost every single one of them whines and moans about so called misogyny, racism and violence We are truly living in clown world when people are upset about violence In a freaking Rambo film lol

MayauMiao

I have seen it. I liked the film overall but it felt very different to the other Rambo's, and if you have watched all the trailers and tv spots, you have literally seen 99% of all the action and kills in the film, literally.
The film is slow and the action ending is about 10mins long.
I'm guessing it was budget related.
That story leak from about a year ago, was much more action packed and epic than the final film.
The film is more like a standard Sly film, and without the little bits of classic Rambo music scattered about, you wouldnt know it was a Rambo film.

I give the film a 6/10.
Rambo films in order for me -

Rambo 2
Rambo 3
First Blod
Last Blood
Rambo 2008.

If you're someone like me who loves the pure none stop action of Rambo 2 and 3, Last Blood probably wont hit that spot for you.

How is the gore when compared to Rambo 2008?

kunonabi

Just got back from it. As a standalone action flick it delivers the goods. As an actual Rambo film it's kind of weak and really isn't nearly as good an endpoint as Rambo was. Totally worth seeing for the action though.

Fun fact: My whole auditorium was Mexican aside from myself and the annoying Russian guys sitting next to me and everyone seemed to have a blast. That reminds me of a great moment when Rocky Balboa came out. I saw it opening night and when Paulie made the crack about Italian food cooked by Mexicans everyone burst out laughing and cheering and this one guy yelled " You damn right!"

Last edited:
IGN: 4.5/10

*Reviewer was upset because it was too violent and didn't like the way the mexican criminals in the film were portrayed - "irresponsible and offensive stereotypes".

hhmsYeK.gif

Kacho

Gold Member
These Rambo reviews just highlight why entertainment is so bland and boring these days. They want everything to feel safe and conform to their worldview.

Guardian gave it a 1 star.

I think I will actually go see this in a theater now.

This review is so dumb, it's honestly the best advertisement for Trump.
If I can't enjoy a Rambo movie as a lefty anymore, guess I'll have to become republican.

Stuart360

I think reviewers need to watch some cartel vids off CrazyShit.com and TYNC etc, if they think they have been portrayed badly in this film lol.

kunonabi

The crazy thing is Rambo has never been super jingoistic and nationalistic not even in this one. The closest it gets is First Blood 2 and even then the government is still part of the problem.

These people are working backward from a conclusion based on nothing but preconceived notions.

The crazy thing is Rambo has never been super jingoistic and nationalistic not even in this one. The closest it gets is First Blood 2 and even then the government is still part of the problem.

Indeed, Rambo always had a decisive anti-war message, especially First Blood.

I mean, I'd much prefer if my left-leaning friends would remove their sticks from their bums and simply let a good action flick be a good action flick, but if push comes to shove... I'll stick with Rambo. Ain't nobody gonna take away my silly love for 80s action flicks, where men could still be manly men and impale mustachioed net-shirt wearing baddies with steam-pipes. Frikkin' hell, leftist media critique has just become so utterly miserable and pitiful.

Kreen101

The more those leftist reviewers deplore the film's "racism and mysoginy", the more I'm inclined to see it: it might mean it's actually a real, manly action film the way they used to make them.

GV82

Ltto: this is a stupid question I’m watching Rambo (4) for the first time (is the footage at the start of the movie real war stock footage or is it made for the film? The very first thing that pops up on screen?) If it is real war footage it was kind of crazy to see real dead bodies footage onscreen then 😯

kunonabi

Ltto: this is a stupid question I’m watching Rambo (4) for the first time (is the footage at the start of the movie real war stock footage or is it made for the film? The very first thing that pops up on screen?) If it is real war footage it was kind of crazy to see real dead bodies footage onscreen then 😯

It's real footage.

Cleared_Hot

So weird this is the movie he went with when the Creed sequels were still fucking well done
This film is getting slaughtered in reviews.
LMAO
What? Can't we have Vietnamese/Afgan/Mexican bad guys anymore,
I mean they literally started the franchise with shitty white guys as the villains... So what's their problem? Rambo gives everyone a chance to be killed

Dontero

Banned
I thought it will be bad judging by premise but since SJWs are up in arms about it, it seems like it will be good movie in the end.

Also love how they talk about bad potrayal of Mexico like mexico doesn't actually have fucking army on street today and thousand of dead due to cartel wars and gov wars with cartels.

Saw it last night, thought it was pretty great, very brutal. Maybe not the greatest film, or the greatest Rambo film, but it was very entertaining. I got some Home Alone vibes from the ending too, which I didn't expect.

sol_bad

Yep, great Rambo flick. I can't decide whether 4 or 5 is the better film. Pretty darn brutal, not sure I can say it's that gory, so much of the violence are extremely fast shot, blink and you'll miss it.

kunonabi

So apparently the reason the movie feels so truncated is because the studio chopped off like 12 minutes right before release. Several territories still got the complete version but I think the US and UK did not.

I thought it would have been from the 2nd act but apparently it was from the opening of the film with Rambo involved in some sort of rescue operation during a hurricane.

Last edited:

Airola

I'm more of a first blood/08 fan so that works for me. Probably smart to go a little more character focused instead of trying to top 08's final skirmish or the action heavy entries especially at his age.

My favorites are First Blood and 08, and this was really good.

It's a vigilante movie with a hint of the survival aspect of First Blood and quite a bit of the brutality of 08. It's not like Rambo 2 or 3 at all. And it was really well made. It's a revenge fantasy and it doesn't apologize that at all.

I really liked it but it could've been better if the bad guys would've been shown to be even more cruel. In its current state what it shows Rambo doing to the villains is overboard comparing to what they show the villains do to their victims. A lot of what the villains do are only implied so it feels like they shy away a bit from showing their cruelty but they show what Rambo shows no holds barred. You kinda have to know what the worst Mexican drug and sex trafficing criminals have done in real life to really appreciate the revenge fantasy. That's the only criticism I have for the movie. Other than that it was a blast. I even shed a couple of tears for both reacting to sad things and vengeful things.

So apparently the reason the movie feels so truncated is because the studio chopped off like 12 minutes right before release. Several territories still got the complete the version but I think the US and UK did not.

I thought it would have been from the 2nd act but apparently it was from the opening of the film with Rambo involved in some sort of rescue operation during a hurricane.

The opening rescue is perfect IMO. It's basically a short movie that says a lot about where the character is 10 years after returning to America. It affects him throughout the movie. Cutting it is stupid.

kunonabi

So.. what's with this word "trumpian" they're often using in the reviews.

Video on it here.

I don't know where any of the Trump stuff is coming from. The movie kind of highlights how ineffective the border is but that's about it.

My favorites are First Blood and 08, and this was really good.

It's a vigilante movie with a hint of the survival aspect of First Blood and quite a bit of the brutality of 08. It's not like Rambo 2 or 3 at all. And it was really well made. It's a revenge fantasy and it doesn't apologize that at all.

I really liked it but it could've been better if the bad guys would've been shown to be even more cruel. In its current state what it shows Rambo doing to the villains is overboard comparing to what they show the villains do to their victims. A lot of what the villains do are only implied so it feels like they shy away a bit from showing their cruelty but they show what Rambo shows no holds barred. You kinda have to know what the worst Mexican drug and sex trafficing criminals have done in real life to really appreciate the revenge fantasy. That's the only criticism I have for the movie. Other than that it was a blast. I even shed a couple of tears for both reacting to sad things and vengeful things.

Rambo 08 showed how terrible the villains were in more detail but there were fewer personal stakes so it was a little more necessary there. I think Last Blood is also trying to show that Rambo is just as messed up as those he kills. When he talks about the evil in man he's including himself in that.

I do agree that fleshing the villains out a bit wouldn't have hurt though.

Last edited:

Airola

I think Last Blood is also trying to show that Rambo is just as messed up as those he kills. When he talks about the evil in man he's including himself in that.

Yeah, this was one of the reasons I really liked the movie. There's zero apologies, only brutal honesty.

For some reason I found these villains very easy to hate, even more than the guys in the previous movie.

I think one of the henchmen was in Apocalypto.

Airola

How is the gore when compared to Rambo 2008?

It was REALLY nasty at some points. There's less gore than in 08 but the violence feels more sadistic. It's a mix of 80's slasher kills and those parts of 08 where the violence was more personal (like in the throat ripping scene of 08). My gf counted there were 27 kills in the finale. I don't remember how many there were before that. There are two particularly nasty scenes.

kunonabi

It was REALLY nasty at some points. There's less gore than in 08 but the violence feels more sadistic. It's a mix of 80's slasher kills and those parts of 08 where the violence was more personal (like in the throat ripping scene of 08). My gf counted there were 27 kills in the finale. I don't remember how many there were before that. There are two particularly nasty scenes.

Best part was the people sitting on right in the theatre was a nuclear family with a dad, mom, teen daughter, and preteen son. I dont think the kids had any idea what was coming but they sure enjoyed it.

Why would anyone need more proof the dudes who use women as sex slaves and dope them up until they overdose are bad? Like what the actual fuck. It shies away from showing violence done to them because it doesn't want you masturbating to such violence, the violence you see mostly is the violence they are glorifying, and they don't want to glorify the abuse of innocents.

Anyways, fantastic movie, perfect franchise... the best action franchise?

kunonabi

BTW where did you guys hear other regions get a 12 minute longer cut?
I heard about it at blu-ray.com and sirkicksalot appears to have seen the full cut himself.

Edit: a bit more context for the cut opening

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I thought it was pretty good. I've been following the Cartels for quite a few years and felt it was somewhat accurate on how they are portrayed. I don't see how it was racist.
Anyone here who's watched it already knows WHY this isn't racist. Don't want to spoil anything. SJWs should just chew on a dick rather than give a verbal review on Youtube, as they are more suited for that line of work, rather than giving a genuine opinion on movie that couldn't be yanked from the depths of their own ass.

Last edited:
Alternate opening spoilers:

A rescue operation during a heavy storm in the mountains at night. The rescuers are called off because a flash flood is approaching. Someone asks where's that guy with the horse.

Cut to Rambo looking all cool with a hat on the horse. He finds a dead woman. Pushes forward and finds a guy and another women, tells them to get on the horse. Guy asks about his wife, Rambo says he found her dead. Guy runs off to find her despite Rambo warning him.

The flash flood barrels down the mountain towards Rambo and the girl. He ties the horse to a rock, then ties himself and the girl to another one, facing the opposite direction to the flood. They're covered by water - cut to the rescuers and Sheriff.

A body is.loaded in an ambulance. Rambo arrives with the horse and the woman, has a short talk with the Sheriff about the guy. The guy is one of those dead bodies. Sheriff says Rambo tried to save him, Rambo mournfully agrees.

Some other guy talks to the Sheriff about Rambo, Sheriff delivers exposition: Vietnam did a number on him, he keeps to himself but sometimes volunteers for search and rescue because he's one hell of a tracker.

The context of that entire first act is informed by the rescue operation. It's a weight on Rambo's shoulder. I think there's a short flashback to it (or at least he remembers.some.lines) but I'm not sure.

I can't imagine the movie without it... It sets up the character really well, even without the Sheriff's exposition dump. Some of what Rambo says about the world echoes those events. There's an obvious parallel between the dead guy and the going to Mexico talk. I guess he sounds like a grumpy old man in the American version, but in my version all that stuff about learning the truth later was clearly meant to reference the opening.

Airola

Why would anyone need more proof the dudes who use women as sex slaves and dope them up until they overdose are bad? Like what the actual fuck. It shies away from showing violence done to them because it doesn't want you masturbating to such violence, the violence you see mostly is the violence they are glorifying, and they don't want to glorify the abuse of innocents.

Anyways, fantastic movie, perfect franchise... the best action franchise?

I can't tell what others think but for me a revenge fantasy works the best the more you know about the details of what should be avenged.
The more horrible things a bad guy has done, the more cathartic it is to see that bad guy getting beaten up.

I don't understand that masturbation comment. I didn't watch the film to laugh at all the violence Rambo did or to glorify it.

The thing is that we know what terrifying things Mexican cartels are doing in real life. It is way worse than what was shown in this movie. What they do in real life is more in line with what Rambo did in this movie.

Now that said, I think that not showing it works thematically pretty well. Rambo is in a mission of revenge. He hasn't actually seen much at all of what the bad guys do. He doesn't know it in detail. He just cares for the girl he feels is like a daughter to him. Rambo doesn't know the actual details but chooses to go beyond "eye for an eye" and wants to kill them as savagely as possible and sometimes physically and emotionally as sadistically as possible just to show them how he is feeling. So to make us think about the concept of revenge more deeply it can be good for the story to not show too much of what Rambo is avenging because Rambo himself doesn't know that much either.

But still, for me, seeing someone having a revenge for something is more effective if more is known about the bad things that might deserve a revenge. For example in the movie Wolf Creek I wouldn't have hated the bad guy as much as I did if they wouldn't have shown the horribly mutilated corpse and shown the bad guy tell in detail what terrifying fate waits for the girl he just caught.

In real life I wouldn't feel as much hate towards drug cartels if I only vaguely knew that they do some bad things somewhere. But the more I read about what they have actually done, the more it feels someone should go all rambo on them. So for a revenge movie it would've been more effective if they'd made the bad guys look even worse by either showing them doing worse things or showing the girls getting even worse treatment. Don't get me wrong, what they showed was very bad already. I'm just saying I would've felt Rambo's certain super sadistic actions more justified if they had gone just as much all the way with the actions of the bad guys too.

Not that it breaks the movie. I loved it and thought it was fantastic. But one way for it to be even better for me would've been if the violence by Rambo would've been a bit better balanced with what the bad guys did. But then again as I mentioned above, if one of the movie's purpose was to also comment on the concept of revenge and let Rambo be a man with broken soul whose mind is torn by war and whose actions shouldn't be completely glorified, showing more of the cartel's victims might hurt that purpose.

Top Bottom