• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News Rand Paul tests positive for Corona-chan

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Oh no, Rand Paul caught something and he'll have to drink water and take cold medicine or something and then be better by April. Time for mandatory stay home marshall law with soldiers on the street.

Reactions: Spokker

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Rand Paul would vote against anything if the bill is either unconstitutional or doesn't have provisions indicating how it is paid for.

It's called having principle, and it's a damn shame one of the few critters in our Congress that votes said principle even when he knows he will get dragged through the mud for it gets dragged through the mud for it.

I hope he remains asymptomatic [he has lung damage from that neighbor attack], and I hope Ron doesn't get it.

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Rand Paul would vote against anything if the bill is either unconstitutional or doesn't have provisions indicating how it is paid for.

It's called having principle, and it's a damn shame one of the few critters in our Congress that votes said principle even when he knows he will get dragged through the mud for it gets dragged through the mud for it.

I hope he remains asymptomatic [he has lung damage from that neighbor attack], and I hope Ron doesn't get it.
Over the last couple years, Rand Paul has sold out every principle he's had, so maybe he should pick his battles a little.

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Oh no, Rand Paul caught something and he'll have to drink water and take cold medicine or something and then be better by April. Time for mandatory stay home marshall law with soldiers on the street.
Let's not learn the wrong lessons here. Just because the disease is only serious for a fraction of people does not mean it's "no big deal." Look at Italy and then look at Germany; a 7% fatality rate or a 0.2% fatsloty rate. Same disease, only difference is the government response. One country got ahead of the game in testing and lockdown and the other didn't.

This disease is manageable and doesn't have to be a big danger BUT it fucking will be of we downplay the need to respond.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Let's not learn the wrong lessons here. Just because the disease is only serious for a fraction of people does not mean it's "no big deal." Look at Italy and then look at Germany; a 7% fatality rate or a 0.2% fatsloty rate. Same disease, only difference is the government response. One country got ahead of the game in testing and lockdown and the other didn't.

This disease is manageable and doesn't have to be a big danger BUT it fucking will be of we downplay the need to respond.
The difference is also where it strikes first and the overall health and culture of the population.

In the US our death count spiked because it hit a nursing home, where the common cold or a UTI or any other minor infection is deadly. Those people were lost almost as soon as they got infected. In Italy it hit elderly communities first, and smoking is far more common than in Germany.

If you keep it away from elderly and other vulnerable populations the death toll will stay low.

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
The difference is also where it strikes first and the overall health and culture of the population.

In the US our death count spiked because it hit a nursing home, where the common cold or a UTI or any other minor infection is deadly. Those people were lost almost as soon as they got infected. In Italy it hit elderly communities first, and smoking is far more common than in Germany.

If you keep it away from elderly and other vulnerable populations the death toll will stay low.
Look, all of these are factors, of course, but Germany's approach to testing and fast, foreceful lockdown are also huge factors. We are way behind in testing and people are laregley not taking distancing seriously, so while we see the spread slowing in other countries, it's only getting worse here.

And the danger to the healthy escalates the worse this gets, because degree of exposure matters. The amount of of viral load, as well as mutations and attacks by multiple strains can make this far worse and then it stops being "no big deal" for the young and healthy. This wiped out a whole family of four in NJ. A lot of young people are dying in Italy now too.

It isn't enough to just avoid elderly and immunocompromised people, we need to take this seriously because it's going to get a lot worse. Just stay inside. It doesn't have to be a big deal but it will be.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
right now the USA is being driven by NY. Also they just dumped 12K cases so thats a huge spike. Washington and NY are also carrying the load on deaths.

I think it could be entirely possible that less effected areas in the states can get this under control and stamp it out in their communities, but I bet we don't see cross state travel for a very long time. Once a city/state gets their Corona Chan problem solved they sure as hell aren't going to want people from NY coming in and reinfecting them.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Look, all of these are factors, of course, but Germany's approach to testing and fast, foreceful lockdown are also huge factors. We are way behind in testing and people are laregley not taking distancing seriously, so while we see the spread slowing in other countries, it's only getting worse here.

And the danger to the healthy escalates the worse this gets, because degree of exposure matters. The amount of of viral load, as well as mutations and attacks by multiple strains can make this far worse and then it stops being "no big deal" for the young and healthy. This wiped out a whole family of four in NJ. A lot of young people are dying in Italy now too.

It isn't enough to just avoid elderly and immunocompromised people, we need to take this seriously because it's going to get a lot worse. Just stay inside. It doesn't have to be a big deal but it will be.
Interesting from an article

Indeed, one notable feature of the coronavirus outbreak in Germany so far is the high number of relatively young patients: according to data from the Robert Koch Institute, more than 80 per cent of all people infected with the coronavirus are younger than 60.

and Also

German laboratories are now conducting about 160,000 coronavirus tests every week — more than some European countries have carried out in total since the crisis started.

But there are still warnings its not all chocolate and gum drops

Hans-Georg Kräusslich, a professor of medicine and the head of virology at the University Hospital in Heidelberg, said: “In most cases the illness is mild and shows few symptoms, and we assume that the detection of such mild cases varies from country to country. In statistical terms that leads to a difference in case fatality rates.” However, Prof Kräusslich cautioned that the picture in Germany was likely to change in the weeks and months ahead: “We are still at a relatively early stage in the outbreak in Germany. The overwhelming share of patients became infected only in the last week or two, and we will probably see more severe cases in the future as well as a change in the fatality rate.”

If we take Germany's word, then test test test, and keep it away from old people.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

The deaths in that family were with older people as well:

Grace Fusco, 73, died after being diagnosed. A son, Carmine, and daughter Rita, in her mid-50s, died earlier. Another son, Vincent Fusco Jr., died Thursday, Paradiso Fodera said. He was in his early 50s.
And, to be blunt, were not exactly the healthiest looking bunch, though you can't tell who is who. So just backs up what I said.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
And oddly enough they were Italian.

But interesting that the headline says 4 family members and it instantly makes you think of of a dad mom in there 30-50's and 2 kids, maybe one pre teen and one teenager.

Reactions: infinitys_7th

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Interesting from an article

Indeed, one notable feature of the coronavirus outbreak in Germany so far is the high number of relatively young patients: according to data from the Robert Koch Institute, more than 80 per cent of all people infected with the coronavirus are younger than 60.

and Also

German laboratories are now conducting about 160,000 coronavirus tests every week — more than some European countries have carried out in total since the crisis started.

But there are still warnings its not all chocolate and gum drops

Hans-Georg Kräusslich, a professor of medicine and the head of virology at the University Hospital in Heidelberg, said: “In most cases the illness is mild and shows few symptoms, and we assume that the detection of such mild cases varies from country to country. In statistical terms that leads to a difference in case fatality rates.” However, Prof Kräusslich cautioned that the picture in Germany was likely to change in the weeks and months ahead: “We are still at a relatively early stage in the outbreak in Germany. The overwhelming share of patients became infected only in the last week or two, and we will probably see more severe cases in the future as well as a change in the fatality rate.”

If we take Germany's word, then test test test, and keep it away from old people.
Just keep away from everyone for a little while. This thing spreads like wildfire even in asymptomatic people.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Just keep away from everyone for a little while. This thing spreads like wildfire even in asymptomatic people.
Yes, but especially from the elderly. If to many elderly get it your hospital system is game over.

Compare Germany with 20% over 60, and Italy 55% over 60 and it becomes pretty clear why Italy has fallen apart. They only have about double the confirmed cases but like 58 times the deaths. Even if we take into account Germany tests more, that is still a huge magnitude of more deaths, and IMO its directly correlated to how this has ravaged the old population.

People talk about flatenning the curve so we can spare the hospitals from collapse, well step 1 should be to keep this away from the elderly because if not your hospitals will be finished faster than me with an Asian with huge boobs.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I was reading he went swimming and hit the gym while waiting for his test?

True or just RDS?

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Ron Paul's son must be protected at all costs.

Also lol @ you laughing at him, the modern left folks...
its only jokes man. Or at least thats the response I got from a game dev saying we should send Mike Pence to Wuhan to check out the virus first hand, and then he can give what he learned directly to Trump.

Original tweet was deleted though.

Last edited:

DarkMage619

Jun 19, 2004

Did he have those same principles when the Republicans passed that massive tax cut? I read that cut is causing huge deficits.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
its only jokes man. Or at least thats the response I got from a game dev saying we should send Mike Pence to Wuhan to check out the virus first hand, and then he can give what he learned directly to Trump.

Ironic coming from him of all people.

Smedley has always been garbage.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Did he have those same principles when the Republicans passed that massive tax cut? I read that cut is causing huge deficits.
Um... without checking, I can almost guarantee Rand Paul voted for cutting funds to the Federal Govt.

You have it backwards. Tax cuts do not cause deficits, spending causes deficits. This is the entire problem with the progressive line of thinking on taxes - they see no issue with increasing spending because they simply want to increase taxes to 'avoid' the deficit, when in fact the only way to solve the deficit is to massively cut funding to many departments and programs. And one step in doing this is cutting taxes to fund these extraneous programs.

So... yes, he voted yes. And that is 100% in line with his principles. Unless the bill had some clause that was full of bullshit. Lemme check.... yep, voted yes.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018
East USA
Um... without checking, I can almost guarantee Rand Paul voted for cutting funds to the Federal Govt.

You have it backwards. Tax cuts do not cause deficits, spending causes deficits. This is the entire problem with the progressive line of thinking on taxes - they see no issue with increasing spending because they simply want to increase taxes to 'avoid' the deficit, when in fact the only way to solve the deficit is to massively cut funding to many departments and programs. And one step in doing this is cutting taxes to fund these extraneous programs.

So... yes, he voted yes. And that is 100% in line with his principles. Unless the bill had some clause that was full of bullshit. Lemme check.... yep, voted yes.
Thank you. Rand Paul is one of the only principled Republicans out there.

May 22, 2018
Who has joked about Demonrats getting Kung flu?

And yes I get that Romney isn't a Democrat, but the attitude behind the gesture is the same. Trump is joking about Romeny being sick because he does not agree with Romney or his opinions. Grown ass adults should not be celebrating or joking about this. Its not a joking matter regardless of the politics held by the person in question. This entire situation needs to be taken serious by everyone. This is not the time to crack jokes or downplay the sickness of others regardless of whose "team" is affected.

Nobody should be flippant towards anyone affected by this potentially fatal disease.

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
#FreeBrap

And yes I get that Romney isn't a Democrat, but the attitude behind the gesture is the same. Trump is joking about Romeny being sick because he does not agree with Romney or his opinions. Grown ass adults should not be celebrating or joking about this. Its not a joking matter regardless of the politics held by the person in question. This entire situation needs to be taken serious by everyone. This is not the time to crack jokes or downplay the sickness of others regardless of whose "team" is affected.

Nobody should be flippant towards anyone affected by this potentially fatal disease.
"Romney's in isolation?" Trump said during the daily White House briefing after being asked about the senators in isolation.

"Gee, that's too bad," the president added.

Asked if there was any sarcasm in his remarks, Trump said, "None whatsoever."

Where’s the joke? Seems to me that you’re doing that equalising thing again where someone on your side does something wrong so you virtue signal and drag everyone down to your level.

May 22, 2018
"Romney's in isolation?" Trump said during the daily White House briefing after being asked about the senators in isolation.

"Gee, that's too bad," the president added.

Asked if there was any sarcasm in his remarks, Trump said, "None whatsoever."

Where’s the joke? Seems to me that you’re doing that equalising thing again where someone on your side does something wrong so you virtue signal and drag everyone down to your level.
I know you aren't stupid enough to believe there was no sarcasm in Trump's response. Trump doesn't give a damn that Romney is ill.

Mar 18, 2018

What a cunt. The man who helmed the destruction of Star Wars Galaxies is a punk ass bitch... imagine that.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Oh fuck off. If Trump died of this you would be celebrating

Mar 18, 2018
All these twitterati people Should stop watching CNN and MSNBC. Stop reading the LA and NY Times. Turn on CSPAN and stop being brainwashed.

Holy shit the amount of idiocy they spew forth is detrimental to their loved ones.

Reactions: Cybrwzrd

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Who cares about Trumps joke on Romney, given the back and forth they've had over the last couple years.

It's all posturing. Who gives a damn. Democrats don't care.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
Even Republican senators were angry at Paul for not self-quarantining after his test... Now he's possibly infected other members of Congress...

Y'all calling this fake news but other Republicans are mad at him, just like "demonrats"

Mar 18, 2018
Even Republican senators were angry at Paul for not self-quarantining after his test... Now he's possibly infected other members of Congress...

Y'all calling this fake news but other Republicans are mad at him, just like "demonrats"
? He self quarantined after he tested from the reporting I watched. He was just cavalier with doing workouts in shared spaces.