• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random Unheard of Blog Rumor: Portal 2 To Have Cross Platform PC & Ps3 Coop?

Xater

Well Valve did say a while back that they would try to get it in. Looks like they made it. Cool if you ask me.

spats

The source makes it look like a hitgrab article, but I hope they end up implementing it. Could be a lot of fun.

iceatcs

Well the site is obliviously look for some hits.

It will make a sense because what else can the steamwork do on PS3.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I can see the PC player getting mad because the lack of mouse controls on the PS3.

Portal 1 PC play was crazy. Just cant do it on controllers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I thought this was old news?

iceatcs

Metalic Sand said:
I can see the PC player getting mad because the lack of mouse controls on the PS3.

Portal 1 PC play was crazy on PC. Just cant do it on controllers.
Of course everything can't be satisfied

shwimpy

Metalic Sand said:

It's a fucking shame that mouse/keyboard support isn't optional in all FPS.. especially since it worked without a hitch in UT3.

Stitch

Gold Member
but people on psn are using cheats
vSVIe.png

ShockingAlberto said:
I'd probably prefer a co-op player that isn't using a controller, personally.

Well I'd prefer a co-op player that's comfortable on a couch looking at a big screen plasma so nyah.

1-D_FTW

Gabe did mention this. Nothing new and I'm sure he didn't leak the exclusive confirmation to them.

Metalic Sand said:

If it's as good as it looks, I'll be playing with the Razer Hydra.

Net_Wrecker said:
Well I'd prefer a co-op player that's comfortable on a couch looking at a big screen plasma so nyah.

You're excited about the Hydra too, huh? Cool. We can be Razer buddies.

Emitan

I've played through Portal 1 on PC and 360. Unless they have bonus crazy challenge maps, it hardly matters whether you're on a keyboard or controller for something like Portal. Relax guys, I'm looking forward to playing with my misguided PS3 friends.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
snoopeasystreet said:
Hopefully you'll be able to a see if a player is playing on console before joining the game.

Would you really want to play this game with complete randoms, anyway? At the very least you can join up with fellow Gaffers.

I really don't see this being a problem.

Hopefully this does well and takes off.. So many missed opportunities with ps3 and PC.. Where'd my key board and mouse options go!?

There's no reason at all why it wouldn't. PSN is an open platform, it allows this to happen with ease. It's co-op, not competitive MP, so there's no disadvantage problem as far as the different controllers go. It's already using steamworks.

I can totally see this being true.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Would you really want to play this game with complete randoms, anyway? At the very least you can join up with fellow Gaffers.

I really don't see this being a problem.

Well, it's possible it may obscure the platform behind a Steam username.

I'll probably be banned from PSN so this comes out, so I'm seriously considering the PC version.

Microsoft, I probably would have bought this on 360 if you allowed Steamworks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
gregor7777 said:
Well, it's possible it may obscure the platform behind a Steam username.

I don't see how that undermines my point. If you play with Gaffers, you'll know who's on what platform. If you play with complete randoms... well I can't see why you'd want to do that with this game. Might just be me.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I don't see how that undermines my point. If you play with Gaffers, you'll know who's on what platform. If you play with complete randoms... well I can't see why you'd want to do that with this game. Might just be me.

Mostly, yeah. I simply meant that you wouldn't know for sure what platform they were on if everyone looked like a regular Steam account. It wasn't meant to undermine your point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Metalmurphy said:
There's no reason at all why it wouldn't. PSN is an open platform, it allows this to happen with ease. It's co-op, not competitive MP, so there's no disadvantage problem as far as the different controllers go. It's already using steamworks.

I can totally see this being true.

The question isn't whether it is true or not--developers said since E3 that they'd try to get that done--it's whether or not a blog post by GAMEZNEBULA.TRIPLEGAMER.RU actually constitutes confirmation of it :p

Spotless Mind said:
I'd probably pick it up on PS3 if it meant i got a Steam copy. Any chance Valve would do that?

It would be funny if they did to entice PS3 players to try out Steam for the PC.

Emitan

Spotless Mind said:
I'd probably pick it up on PS3 if it meant i got a Steam copy. Any chance Valve would do that?
I would so do this too. I think Sony would love it. I'd buy the PS3 version if it meant I also got the PC version. But if buying the PS3 version only gets me the PS3 version, I'd rather buy it on Steam.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Spotless Mind said:
Well, the PS3 version is supposed to have Steamworks support unless something has changed.

I doubt it will come with a PC copy though.

Emitan

Nirolak said:
Well, the PS3 version is supposed to have Steamworks support unless something has changed.

I doubt it will come with a PC copy though.
When I buy a game on Steam I want to start seeing "Steam Play: Windows, Mac, and PS3" on games.

tok said:
Perhaps the PC player could wear oven mits to help simulate the gamepad experience.
see? I'm telling you, opposable thumbs will totally compensate for that webbed claw you have. You'll finally be able to use a lighter too.

edit: I really am just having fun, not trying to get personal.

gregor7777 said:
It would be funny if they did to entice PS3 players to try out Steam for the PC.
That was my thinking. It seems like something Valve would do. I won't give my hopes up, but it would be an amazing precedent.

If Portal 2 is a success, it would be pretty cool if Valve did a PSN or maybe even retail re-release of TF2. I reckon they could make a killing off it. It would make up for the shoddy Orange Box port at least.

Spotless Mind said:
That was my thinking. It seems like something Valve would do. I won't give my hopes up, but it would be an amazing precedent.

If Portal 2 is a success, it would be pretty cool if Valve did a PSN or maybe even retail re-release of TF2. I reckon they could make a killing off it. It would make up for the shoddy Orange Box port at least.

Valve developing Portal 2 for the PS3 by definition means that Valve are porting Source to the PS3. The sky's the limit.

Emitan

BritBloke916 said:
Valve developing Portal 2 for the PS3 by definition means that Valve are porting Source to the PS3. The sky's the limit.
Source is on PS3. The Orange Box ported to PS3 by EA.

Billychu said:
Source is on PS3. The Orange Box ported to PS3 by EA.

EA likely owns that codebase though. And given that there have been so many changes to Source since then, I wouldn't be surprised if Valve started fresh.

Normally I'll take a game whenever I can get it, but PS3 Steam and say a game like LFD1&2 I don't think I'd go for it even though I've been wanting to play it for a long time. It's such a release heavy year and I'm not looking back as much at games I've missed. This goes for many of the HD ps2 collections as well. I'd have to see the price and package though.

Emitan

gregor7777 said:
EA likely owns that codebase though. And given that there have been so many changes to Source since then, I wouldn't be surprised if Valve started fresh.
They could just have the PS3's TF2 (we're pretending Orange Box doesn't exist on PS3) run on Portal 2's Source Engine. Half-Life 2 now runs on the Orange Box Source Engine on PC. Why not update TF2 for PS3?

Billychu said:
They could just have the PS3's TF2 (we're pretending Orange Box doesn't exist on PS3) run on Portal 2's Source Engine. Half-Life 2 now runs on the Orange Box Source Engine on PC. Why not update TF2 for PS3?

Because EA likely owns that codebase. What is there to upgrade? EA would have to be involved or Valve would have to buy the EA code.

Top Bottom