• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford only has time for Colonial Marines praise, [losing money on Aliens]

dmr87

While the Internet at large still waits for Randy Pitchford -- or anybody -- from Gearbox to come clean and explain what went wrong with Aliens: Colonial Marines, the studio CEO has decided his best course of action is to display contempt for those who felt cheated when they bought his stinker.

A number of Twitter accounts, which were only set up recently and seem spectacularly preoccupied with Gearbox and Gearbox products, are lavishing Pitchford with praise for Colonial Marines, and they are now the only people worthy of his time. Anybody with criticism -- not just the insults and threats he mentioned last time -- is to be ignored or outright blocked.

Even if you like Aliens: Colonial Marines, it's undeniable something went wrong with its development, and Gearbox needs to tell people why they allowed customers to keep believing the game looked much better than it actually did. For Pitchford to refuse to talk for a week, then do nothing but publicly lap up praise for his gigantic, Facehugger-shaped shit, is absolutely astounding.

All we need now is for him to do what he did with Duke Nukem Forever and start making argumentum ad populum statements to really showcase how little respect he has for the game industry's long-term credibility. Of course, I'd prefer someone involved with this mess actually grow a spine and address the issue directly, but apparently that's as extravagant a request as asking for a decent Aliens game.

Randy Pitchford said:
Randy Pitchford ‏@DuvalMagic

@Weemanjoe I'm afraid it looks like I will lose a huge amount of money. We pay for our education...

https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic
https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/303736075866734592
https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/303735760455073793
https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/303735035742269440
https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/303734698868363264

http://www.destructoid.com/randy-pitchford-has-only-time-for-colonial-marines-praise-245943.phtml

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
He believes in positive reinforcement.

I have very little respect for Randy Pitchford and how he's handling this debacle.

However, insult or threaten me and I want nothing to do with you. Expect block/ban/whatever I can do.

This reminds me of a temper tantrum. Very immature.

Trumpets

I always suspected he was a massive tool, even before Borderlands was released. Too many shit haircuts for a sane man.

Izick

Come on, guys.

Of course he's not going to answer negative stuff, at least not this early after the game's launch. Anything perceived as negative can be a potential sale loss, and I know that is business talk but Randy's PR control is one of their points of business at this point. He's not going to say yeah, "hey, yeah we completely fucked up with Aliens," a week after the thing comes out.

Wait for a year to go by or so, and then we'll see an honest answer in a proper publication.

GhaleonEB

I kinda love the mess that it has become in a way. I don't think any piece of tech in the entire history of man has outed so many famous or influential people as delusional assholes.

It's going to be a sad day when PR people make keeping clients the hell off Twitter standard practice.

OT, but I'm looking forward to the next generation of politicians running for office and having embarrassing 10-15 year old Twitter and Facebook posts unearthed. Everyone will be tainted.

Needless to say, this is a situation I'm not intending to just forget when Gearbox tries to change the subject.

Explanations be due.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
He better not admit shit about this game before knowing if this is going to have legal ramifications.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Pitchford is probably going to say he didn't look at their profiles. I'm glad Sterling reported on this, pretty shady if you ask me.

strafer

But what if that guy really likes the game? What are you going to do about it?

It's opinions man.

Like, I hate FFX but love X-2.

Floex

Come on, guys.

Of course he's not going to answer negative stuff, at least not this early after the game's launch. Anything perceived as negative can be a potential sale loss, and I know that is business talk but Randy's PR control is one of their points of business at this point. He's not going to say yeah, "hey, yeah we completely fucked up with Aliens," a week after the thing comes out.

Wait for a year to go by or so, and then we'll see an honest answer in a proper publication.

But the Twitter accounts look fake as hell. Hardly any tweets, no profiles, it's really quite pathetic.

ultron87

"Displaying contempt" seems like pretty strong words for ignoring stuff on Twitter. Not to say there isn't something pretty slimey about this whole mess.

Come on, guys.

No one is expecting that. But if you deliver a product like Aliens, which is way different from what you shown the previous years and then say you have always spoken the truth. And after that ignore the criticism but go and answer the positive praise, it just makes you look bad. The better move is to just keep quiet.

Come on, guys.

The whole purpose of a public Twitter account is to communicate with his fans. By sticking his fingers in his ears and crying "I'M NOT LISTENING, I'M NOT LISTENING," he insults anyone who has legitimate concerns with the game by COMPLETELY dismissing them.

I've always profited from criticism and, thankfully, I have never been in short supply.

Har har Randy.

If he didn't want the heat, he shouldn't have maintained an active, public Twitter account in the first place.

He's probably trying to take another publisher's money right now for his next title. Trying to keep public admittance of management failures on the down low.

Top Bottom