• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford only has time for Colonial Marines praise, [losing money on Aliens]

codhand

Now that i think about it; if the reason Borderlands 2 is so good, is the same reason that Aliens is so bad, then I am ok with this whole thing.

Megasoum

Banned
LMAO one of the reply to that glass half-full tweet.

Lemonslabs ‏@_Slabs_
.@DuvalMagic what if I repeatedly promise to tweet something positive but it turns out to actually be a big pile of shit?

On one hand, his work is being lashed at, that would make me angry to. On the other hand, Gearbox released a poorly realized product under their banner.

I've always liked Randy's enthusiasm, but Mister Pitchford needs to reap what he has sown. Easier said than done I know, but I, and I imagine some of you, would regain perhaps a modicum of respect for the man.

Haunted

A number of Twitter accounts, which were only set up recently and seem spectacularly preoccupied with Gearbox and Gearbox products, are lavishing Pitchford with praise for Colonial Marines
holy shit

Are they implying what I think they're implying?

m3dRdad.png

Telling us that our product was bad = injury.

codhand

why would you block jim sterling? that's like starting a rap battle with eminem, he's fresh out of fucks to give and will totally blow-up your spot, thereby drawing out more attention

BigDug13

-Game took 6 years to come out.
-Randy promises awesome game.
-Shows E3 demo that looks awesome or at the very least decent. Randy makes a ton of claims in the E3 demo walkthrough, none of which are in the retail product.
-Game releases to terribad reviews.
-Nothing shown in the in-game demo was actually in the retail game apart from some assets and similar locations. Everything looks incredibly bad compared to E3 demo. Gearbox pretty much just created the demo to impress press and trick consumers.
-Turns out game was outsourced and treated like shit by Gearbox, all the while rumored to have spent Aliens: CM development money on Borderlands development.
-Sega seemingly becomes lax on Gearbox once Borderlands comes out and doesn't check in on Gearbox until it's too late. They ended up with outsourced shit and Gearbox finally came in to help develop and fix any game breaking issues at the last minute once they realize what ass the game is.

This is some of the shit I heard off NeoGAF/reddit since release, from sources like Sega to actual game testers.

I could go on and on but I'm on my phone. Gearbox treated the game like shit and pretty much lied to consumers about it. Everyone wants to know what the fuck went wrong and they've just been ignoring the situation seemingly creating fake positive twitter posts. Everything points to the terrible stories being true and Gearbox is like a deer in the headlights now that the cat is out of the bag.

Hopefully they make an official comment so we know what actually happened. I hope not all of the nasty rumors/stories are true but things don't look good.

Then they treated their Borderlands fans like shit by outsourcing its DLC so that they had time to throw some perfume on this Aliens turd, pissing off the Borderlands fans that expected DLC that would match the quality of the main game. It was a lose/lose way to do it.

Randy Pitchford said:
You're welcome to say whatever you want, of course. Know that I will tend to block users who I believe are not offering value, but injury.

Randy Pitchford said:
So basically you're putting your fingers in your ears about a poor product your company shipped? Real mature.
No - we have countless paths for feedback and are learning many lessons. My personal twitter is my own. Also, blocked...

The more this guy says, the more he digs his own grave.

ruttyboy

There's no doubt that Gearbox and SEGA have (and continue to) deceived a lot of people however I am also appalled at the amount of people who are complaining who bought the fucking thing!

Consumers, educate yourselves!

Don't pre-order games, it's insane to buy things sight unseen!

Then they treated their Borderlands fans like shit by outsourcing its DLC so that they had time to throw some perfume on this Aliens turd, pissing off the Borderlands fans that expected DLC that would match the quality of the main game. It was a lose/lose way to do it.

The last DLC wasnt as good for sure, but the pirate and Tourge DLC's were fantastic.

BigDug13

The last DLC wasnt as good for sure, but the pirate and Tourge DLC's were fantastic.

I wouldn't say "fantastic". They were decent. But according to Randy's direct words, he said that we can expect "Knoxx-level" of quality for EACH of the DLC's. but he didn't reveal that they were outsourced. Gearbox did Knoxx, so how can you tell us to expect outsourced companies to match your own game's develop,ent studio in quality? He knew it was a lie as the words left his mouth.

They're still worth the $10, but they're not each Knoxx-quality.

web01

Randy has been a complete dick for a long time but its nice people are finally realising it.
You would only have to see how he reacted to the Borderlands DLC backlash on twitter over the last months to realise this.
Basically once he has your money you can fuck off until he is ready to give you PR spin for his next game.

Coolwhip

Banned
As much as I think he is usually full of it, he should just have ignored all the tweets. Sure there will be some constructive critisism, but 90% of the tweets will be vile and deaththreats. People can't handle being anonymous.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol Pitchford being a true bitch, and showing it! I heard about a press trip like last year at Gearbox studios, they didn't show anything of the game and Randy Pitchford stayed in his little office typing shit on his computer, while journalists were waiting 3/4 hours to have an interview with him that never happened.

This studio man..

sephi22

I'm starting to think Borderlands 1 was a fluke. BL2 was just more of the same. (Both were great)

You used to be cool Randy. News of Gearbox doing DNF and A:CM were met with adoration. Now look at you.
I'm boycotting the shit outta you Gearbox. Meet me when BL3 comes out. Maybe.

Remmy2112

I like Pitchford and Gearbox, I really do, but this shit is nuts. It doesn't diminish my love for their past games, or future content, but it does make me more leery.

Say what you will about Peter Molyneux, but his overblown promises, his enthusiasm all come from a good place, and he seems to be a genuine person. I'd take that misplaced naivety any day of the week over Randy Pitchford's cynicism and knowing manipulations.

I'm starting to think Borderlands 1 was a fluke. BL2 was just more of the same. (Both were great)

You used to be cool Randy. News of Gearbox doing DNF and A:CM were met with adoration. Now look at you.
I'm boycotting the shit outta you Gearbox. Meet me when BL3 comes out. Maybe.
Brothers in Arms was also great, but went downhill after Road to Hill 30. Still hoping for a sequel in the franchise. I don't think the actual studio is bad, but the quality control on their outsourced stuff definitely is lacking...

yup. didnt play the third yet, but i have no qualms with my season pass.

Me either. Tourge is probably one of my favorite DLCs for any game. I really think all this A:CM backlash will make them go even bigger for the last BL2 DLC.

I wouldn't say "fantastic". They were decent. But according to Randy's direct words, he said that we can expect "Knoxx-level" of quality for EACH of the DLC's. but he didn't reveal that they were outsourced. Gearbox did Knoxx, so how can you tell us to expect outsourced companies to match your own game's develop,ent studio in quality? He knew it was a lie as the words left his mouth.

They're still worth the $10, but they're not each Knoxx-quality.

I agree that he did oversell them then, but I think that is a regular thing for any developer. They are always going to try and make their stuff sound amazing, and it is up to people to look into it and make sure that they are getting their moneys worth.

5ld2iNR.jpg

he is saying something though.

Wait, I don't understand this.

He is looking in to why the game is different from the demo?

Wouldn't, like, the publisher be looking in to that? Or is he saying he has no idea what goes on beneath him and will only look in to it after the game had already shipped?

wrowa

I'm sure that he would love to tell us his side of the story, especially since all of the recent rumors put Gearbox in a very bad light. Do you think he likes the harm done to the reputation of his company?

I think we can safely assume that there's a special kind of tension between Sega and Gearbox at this point, so of course he'll will try to avoid doing anything that makes matters even worse. A lawsuit or something similar will be the last thing Gearbox wants to happen. The lack of trust they are encountering is already bad enough, they don't want to jeorpadize the fate of the whole company over this.

ChaosXVI

This guy seems like a sleazebag to be honest. Sure OK, he talked up Duke Nukem like no tomorrow, but it was just one of those things where everyone already knows it's going to be crap, as though we were all just somehow in on it, so I let it go.

However, this is just downright wrong...and it seems inevitable now that we'll be hearing about SEGA putting its foot up Gearbox's ass for this. Legally speaking.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fake twitter accounts. Oh, Pitchford... this is sad and hilarious.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait, I don't understand this.

He is looking in to why the game is different from the demo?

Wouldn't, like, the publisher be looking in to that? Or is he saying he has no idea what goes on beneath him and will only look in to it after the game had already shipped?

I thought it was pretty straightforward, what are you having problems understanding?

He/Gearbox are "looking into" why fAliens is different from the E3 vertical slice.

How much of that is true since the story is Gearbox knew what they were getting but shipped it to Sega to avoid being sued... who knows.

antitrop

Creator of shitty game responding to fake Twitter accounts lavishing praise upon the first unanimously "terrible" game of the year?

2013 has only just begun.

Truant

They know exactly what happened. They're looking into how they can present the story to the public without screwing anyone over.

Top Bottom