• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford only has time for Colonial Marines praise, [losing money on Aliens]

Burger

mrBgone1155 said:
@DuvalMagic I'm a huge @GearboxSoftware fan. Love Borderlands, but DNF was my favorite game u put out. Enjoying Aliens. U guys are awesome.

Randy Pitchford said:
@mrBgone1155 And this is why the world is awesome! Varied tastes, varied choices. I would be sad to only make one type of game forever.

Never mind it was critically panned and looked worse than what you used to sell it... If 6 people on twitter like it then people simply have 'varied choices'.

If SEGA sues Gearbox we might not get a new Samba de Amigo game you guys need to think this through
Or the proceeds from winning might fund a new Samba de Amigo game.

Think of the possibilities!

This. Nobody forced you to buy the game.
My girlfriend preordered it for me on Steam for Valentines day based off of the false advertising.

She was pretty upset when she realised how bad the game was she bought me.

There's a lot of people who buy based off previews and advertising who are going to be really disappointed.

Coolwhip

Banned
This. Nobody forced you to buy the game.

Randy is adding fuel to the fire though. He should have just left his Twitter account alone for a few weeks. In the meantime think of a way to sort out this mess. Maybe promise a patch that fixes most of the errors (if that's even possible).

I feel like anyone calling for Sega to sue Gearbox is suffering from some real bad Tall Poppy Syndrome and are looking to feel some sweet sweet schadenfreude. It's a bad game, it had troubled development, it happens, I know litigation is the answer to everything in the US but jeez, lay off.

Revven

Wow leave the guy alone already. So much drama for a bad game.

The issue isn't that "it's just another bad game", the issue is how Gearbox strung along all the "gaming journalists" and consumers to believe what they saw at E3 and other events (not to mention the screenshots, which are still being used to falsely advertise the Wii U version) would reflect the final game. All the lies they spouted throughout the whole time pre-release.

It shouldn't be something that's swept under the rug just because it's another licensed movie game that's bad. It's the practices that went into feeding information to the journalists and consumers about the game before it released.

If this were an actual popular gaming franchise and much bigger dev studio, you wouldn't be saying what you just said.

I feel like anyone calling for Sega to sue Gearbox is suffering from some real bad Tall Poppy Syndrome and are looking to feel some sweet sweet schadenfreude. It's a bad game, it had troubled development, it happens, I know litigation is the answer to everything in the US but jeez, lay off.
Tall Poppy Syndrome - "a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers."

I had to look that up, but I don't feel that description fits what's going on here. What they released was obviously devoid of any genuine merit or achievement. It was genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played, I've played games from 15 years ago with better A.I.

AvP 2010 was an average game when it released and it shits all over Colonial Marines.

I resent them because they sold a game based on lies.

MormaPope

Banned

Gearbox used money Sega gave them to work on Borderlands 1&2 instead of developing Aliens: Colonial Marines themselves. Has that happened before in this industry? Yep. Should companies get away from that when they're caught? Fuck no.

Marcel

The issue isn't that "it's just another bad game", the issue is how Gearbox strung along all the "gaming journalists" and consumers to believe what they saw at E3 and other events (not to mention the screenshots, which are still being used to falsely advertise the Wii U version) would reflect the final game. All the lies they spouted throughout the whole time pre-release.

It shouldn't be something that's swept under the rug just because it's another licensed movie game that's bad. It's the practices that went into feeding information to the journalists and consumers about the game before it released.

If this were an actual popular gaming franchise and much bigger dev studio, you wouldn't be saying what you just said.

It wouldn't be the first and won't be the last time game journalists are used to prop up a dead-on-arrival turd.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
He was better off saying nothing.

He had the right idea starting out, but this is quickly becoming the wrong play... he should go radio silent immediately.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ROFL.

Honestly this playground stuff just cracks me up. Gearbox (specifically Randy Pitchford) are the bad guys, whilst SEGA who supplied the license, the backing, the QA, the marketing, the disc-pressing are the goodies here ?!?

WTF!

Delivering a game to a publisher isn't like handing in an unfinished homework assignment and shuffling it down to the bottom of the stack in hopes Teacher doesn't notice... there's no way its quality is going to sneak under their radar!

If there was a case to sue, they would have done so prior to publishing! Or more reasonably demanded fixes and changes prior to signing off on the final master...

FStop7

Banned
twitter is such an onerous curse on modern discourse. horribly fragmented debates broadcasted from behind a 190 character firewall which basically gives you a license to put out the most abbreviated, vapid statement possible and call it a day; all the while selectively recirculating only the most reassuring of commentary from your pre-verified clique of supporters.

it's a pedestal for cowards.

I like you

Revven

It wouldn't be the first and won't be the last time game journalists are used to prop up a dead-on-arrival turd.

It's not that I was referring to (which I'm aware happens kinda often), instead it sounded like even the journalists didn't know the game is what it is right now before it came out. The way all of them reacted prior to the embargo being lifted on the reviews sounded like they couldn't wait to publish their reviews of the game because of how bad it was vs what they had been shown for the last several months.

Personal update, I've been accused by Mr. Pitchford of attempting to do nothing but vilify and injury for the purposes of grandstanding, and was told I should have sent private questions.

Trouble is, last time I asked questions through official channels, I got told Aliens: Colonial Marines would ship with next-gen lighting in an interview I now cringe at the thought of.

That's a problem inherent in "game journalism," such that it is. You're a "shoddy journalist" for not taking part in the big PR Rube Goldberg machine -- very much like how Eurogamer got called out for announcing Borderlands 2 before Game Informer got its big exclusive reveal -- despite the fact that such a machine is exactly WHY a situation like Colonial Marines is allowed to happen.

Maybe I am indeed showboating a little, but y'know, when we serve an audience, how are we doing right by them in asking the questions privately?

Speaking about the bullshots and questionable videos, its not like this is a new thing. It seems Gearbox and Sega are just the first people to be called out on it. Numerous other companies do the same thing. Ubisoft is probably the worst offender of it. I think targets should be switch from directly at Gearbox and instead at the entire industry as a whole.

jett

D-Member
Dan ‏@Extremely_Moist
@DuvalMagic So basically you're putting your fingers in your ears about a poor product your company shipped? Real mature.

Randy Pitchford ‏@DuvalMagic
@Extremely_Moist No - we have countless paths for feedback and are learning many lessons. My personal twitter is my own. Also, blocked...

hahaha What a douchebag.

Personal update, I've been accused by Mr. Pitchford of attempting to do nothing but vilify and injury for the purposes of grandstanding, and was told I should have sent private questions.

Trouble is, last time I asked questions through official channels, I got told Aliens: Colonial Marines would ship with next-gen lighting in an interview I now cringe at the thought of.

That's a problem inherent in "game journalism," such that it is. You're a "shoddy journalist" for not taking part in the big PR Rube Goldberg machine -- very much like how Eurogamer got called out for announcing Borderlands 2 before Game Informer got its big exclusive reveal -- despite the fact that such a machine is exactly WHY a situation like Colonial Marines is allowed to happen.

Maybe I am indeed showboating a little, but y'know, when we serve an audience, how are we doing right by them in asking the questions privately?

That's the point Pitchford is missing; you shouldn't have to ask them privately. People who feel they got screwed want answers.

SJRB

Gold Member
Randy seems to be living in a whole other dimension than the rest of us. Someone at Gearbox should tell him to stop using his Twitter account, this entire situation only got worse since he started tweeting again today.

rObit

Banned
I get it if he wants to keep his Twitter separate from his professional life, but he already linked those two worlds when he started handing out shift codes through his personal Twitter. You can't have it both ways, Randy.

Jim Sterling's Twitter said:
Jim Sterling ‏@JimSterling
I won't apologize for criticizing Gearbox publicly. I serve an audience. If A:CM did likewise this would never have been a situation.

Jim Sterling ‏@JimSterling
You're a bad journalist if you don't ask questions via official, PR-controlled channels, yet such channels are HOW A:CM got so misleading.

At least this whole mess has put Jim Sterling on my radar.

#TEAMBIGJIM

What a child. Too bad there's still people who'll give him money when Borderlands 3 eventually releases, purportedly on the backing of another publisher's money.

BigDug13

Speaking about the bullshots and questionable videos, its not like this is a new thing. It seems Gearbox and Sega are just the first people to be called out on it. Numerous other companies do the same thing. Ubisoft is probably the worst offender of it. I think targets should be switch from directly at Gearbox and instead at the entire industry as a whole.

But they took it to a new level. They basically provided a demo room for journalists with a carefully crafted demo experience running on a far flashier engine with better AI. They let these journalists play the demo so they would lavish praise, knowing that the demo was nothing like the game they were making. The missions and events in the demo weren't even present in the final game, other than some familiar level assets. They also listed out all these features that would be in the game, while not putting those features in. I don't recall any company going this far to misrepresent their game.

Evolved1

They have no problem with the attention and journo enthusiasm when it's positive... "oh yes please write a fluffy preview for us, based on this IP you're excited about and the disingenuous PR materials we've provided, really".

"Oh yeah, okay... so we kinda lied there a bit, but um... can't we talk about this privately, hopefully ignoring you long enough for the internet to move on and this be old news?"

Randy Pitchford is obviously the veteran of many flame wars.

/ignore

He really learned some lessons after Halo...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Keep it up, Jim! I think it's safe to say that a lot of people here appreciate the fact that someone is trying to stand up to this type of behavior. It shouldn't be forgotten so quickly.

But they took it to a new level. They basically provided a demo room for journalists with a carefully crafted demo experience running on a far flashier engine with better AI. They let these journalists play the demo so they would lavish praise, knowing that the demo was nothing like the game they were making. The missions and events in the demo weren't even present in the final game, other than some familiar level assets. They also listed out all these features that would be in the game, while not putting those features in. I don't recall any company going this far to misrepresent their game.

Yeah, this is way beyond the typical "bullshot." at least when Ubisoft shows Connon spearing some guy with his Tomahawk, ..you can actually go buy Assassin's Creed 3 and kill a guy with a Tomahawk.

I noticed Stephen over at Kotaku joined Jim's crusade on questioning the idea of previews. I kinda hope that becomes a trend.

Evolved1

Keep it up, Jim! I think it's safe to say that a lot of people here appreciate the fact that someone is trying to stand up to this type of behavior. It shouldn't be forgotten so quickly.

Idk... after Bethesda PS3 Skyrim, I believe these damn big-money companies are seemingly impervious if they just play their cards right.

Though as a gamer and enthusiast, I do very much appreciate what Jim has been doing here.

Marcel

I noticed Stephen over at Kotaku joined Jim's crusade on questioning the idea of previews. I kinda hope that becomes a trend.

Uh, Totilo is like the Anti-Sterling. Guy is clinical/dull as hell and wouldn't come near bucking the system outside of flat lip service.

LOL nobody is getting sued.

If SEGA were that unhappy about the quality of the work they wouldn't have published it
We are talking about a company that published Sonic 2006, they know about the quality of the game, they just run out of time and ecided to throw the title trying to recover some of the money they invested.

We should all make it our goal for Randy to block us.

"Hey Randy, what's your favorite color?"

"How dare you even ask that. Blocked..."

JABEE

You don't do it privately. If you have criticisms of the game, it is your duty as a journalist to expose the public to what you believe is a deceitful preview process. Sometimes the truth hurts, and it may hurt Destructoid in the end, but it's better than just letting them get away with it. The only power the media has is as a voice for those who have reasonable criticisms that can't be heard. It's one of the only protections consumers have.

Top Bottom