• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford only has time for Colonial Marines praise, [losing money on Aliens]

FyreWulff

Tons of game have used the cel-shaded style though. Crackdown1 and 2 and a Robotech game last gen just to name a few. I have honestly never heard anyone complain about games having similar art styles before. There was some TPS that came out of Japan a few years that looked just like Gears of War and I dont think anyone got upset.

Gearbox offered work for the author of the film and then suddenly dropped him. And used his style anyway.

antitrop

I have seen a ton of people do this on gaf... Do I think they are a joke? Not at all. They simply want to tell the person "hey guess what, you are ignored now, get off my case"
Yes, I actually do.

Makes the person look like a huge attention whore. If you're going to ignore someone, just do it. They don't need to know about it, and you don't need to tell the world you are doing so.

B-Dex

It's true that they took the art style from an animated film, as well as the opening bus scene. I don't really have a problem with that. They saw a way to improve their game and ran with it, and it worked. Taking inspiration from other art is fine, especially if it's implicit praise. Borderlands is full of references and allusions.

I dont agree with the implication that the novelty of combining loot and FPS gameplay explains BL's popularity. If the core mechanics were poorly implemented Borderlands would not have sustained such positive word of mouth.

Also, I mostly play Borderlands single-player. And the story is nothing to write home about, no doubt. But they're slowly improving on that front.

Keyword INSPIRATION not blatant plagiarism. I didn't know about this short film but after seeing it and the shot for shot screencaps from the game and film I am shocked they didn't get called out by more outlets for their bs.

If another movie used the same opening and art direction and shot for shot scenes it would be ripped to shreds. But gearbox got a free pass because games journalism doesn't do their job.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I just think it's slimey.

I have been pretty jaded towards Gearbox ever since Hell's Highway. When this stuff with A:CM happened, I was like... yeah, what's new? Same shit, different game. Just this time it was sooo blatant that the media finally called them on it.

He means it will lose Sega tons of money, no?

Randy is possibly referring to future projects. Gearbox reputation is broken. Publishers will rethink future contracts with Gearbox, knowing that they are willing to cheat, lie, bait-n-switch them without any remorse.

If the stories are true that Sega was unaware of what was happening, I am pretty sure Sega will sue near the end of the year. This will give Sega time to determine what the damages are.

Dizzy

Banned
lol what a douche. His tweets seem like one of those fake kaz or reggie twitter accounts.

Glad I got Borderlands via PS+ and BL2 with my new GPU. I feel better having not paid for his games.

lol I'm so happy his shit company is getting so much negative press. Honestly, Gearbox sucks and got super lucky with it's success with Borderlands. Wtf else have they done besides that, that amounts to anything actually worth playing?

The university I go to has a game design program and it seems like everyone there wants to work at Gearbox and circlejerks over anything Claptrap, Borderlands, Gearbox related.I guess it's cause Gearbox HQ is super close to my school, but still, I just absolutely do not understand the praise these guys get.

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/11/12/pound-of-flesh/

BH: To be absolutely clear – I have never created or designed anything for Gearbox or Borderlands. Gearbox saw my work and decided to reproduce it – make it their own – without my help or my consent. The hardest part for me when this happened was understanding why they wouldn’t ask me directly. We were already talking about doing some work together – it made no sense.

My opinion of Gearbox is very, very, VERY low at the moment.

Yes, I actually do.

Makes the person look like a huge attention whore. If you're going to ignore someone, just do it. They don't need to know about it, and you don't need to tell the world you are doing so.

You actually do what? I don't believe I asked you anything.

his tweets ARE pretty funny, and telling that he's trying to hide the real lack of "drive" his team had with Aliens. putting the blame on consumers is an awful idea though.

btw:

was that retweet about Pitchford putting the pulse rifle in borderlands 2 real?

thumb

Banned
Keyword INSPIRATION not blatant plagiarism. I didn't know about this short film but after seeing it and the shot for shot screencaps from the game and film I am shocked they didn't get called out by more outlets for their bs.

If another movie used the same opening and art direction and shot for shot scenes it would be ripped to shreds. But gearbox got a free pass because games journalism doesn't do their job.

You don't think this is meant as an allusion to Code Hunters? Borderlands is chock full of this stuff. In BL 2, you even go on a mission that is full of stuff from the movie Top Gun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I just think it's slimey.

I have been pretty jaded towards Gearbox ever since Hell's Highway. When this stuff with A:CM happened, I was like... yeah, what's new? Same shit, different game. Just this time it was sooo blatant that the media finally called them on it.

:lol Anyone that played Boredlands 1 should've known Gearbox didn't have the talent to back up anything they did that was "new" and should've stuck to ports like Halo PC or DLC expansions like HL:Blue-Shift.

I'm trying to pull out of my memory the time that someone (maybe Eurogamer?) broke the story on Borderlands 2 and Pitchford called it shoddy journalism, implying they should be ashamed for claiming they had knowledge of that game existing.

And then they announced Borderlands 2 the next day.

I'm trying to pull out of my memory the time that someone (maybe Eurogamer?) broke the story on Borderlands 2 and Pitchford called it shoddy journalism, implying they should be ashamed for claiming they had knowledge of that game existing.

And then they announced Borderlands 2 the next day.

Apparently, "You're actual journalists and not just a mouthpiece for us." = "Shoddy journalism."

Pitchford saying people should go through the official channels bugs me far more than anything and highlights everything wrong with this industry.

thumb

Banned
Not sure what your point is here.

Borderlands is a mish-mash of references to other video games, movies, and pop-culture. Whatever the value of this approach, that is its MO. One of the properties Borderlands alludes to is Code Hunters, both in art style and opening cinematic. I find this no more offensive than if the opening shots of Borderlands were taken from the original Star Wars. The intent is to reference a broad base of media that the developers enjoy and think can be remixed into something different.

Well after the CODEHUNTERS plagiarism shit that Pitchford and Gearbox tried to pull off and subsequent denials then admitting used as "artistic inspiration" I'm surprised anyone takes a word that comes out of this guys mouth honestly.

For your perusal if you not aware of how Borderlands "unique" art style is pretty much a cut and paste. How Gearbox is still in business is beyond me.
http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/11/12/pound-of-flesh/

The art style was a genuine stroke of brilliance...looking back OF COURSE it was simply too good for a piss pot, shitty little grotbag studio like gearbox to come up with.

Incredible.

Borderlands is a mish-mash of references to other video games, movies, and pop-culture. Whatever the value of this approach, that is its MO. One of the properties Borderlands alludes to is Code Hunters, both in art style and opening cinematic. I find this no more offensive than if the opening shots of Borderlands were taken from the original Star Wars. The intent is to reference a broad base of media that the developers enjoy and think can be remixed into something different.

References or humorous homage are a tad different from contacting an artist, ripping off his work wholesale and telling him there's no work for him.

You don't think this is meant as an allusion to Code Hunters? Borderlands is chock full of this stuff. In BL 2, you even go on a mission that is full of stuff from the movie Top Gun.
Borderlands didn't appear to steal Top Gun's art style, though. There's a big difference between a jokey reference, and theft.

Someone in another thread recently linked to a thread from a few years ago (I think) about viral marketer who posted a bizarre thread piling praise on Borderlands. Once he was rumbled, scorn was poured all over the shop, and someone who apparently worked at Gearbox turned up to deny that it had anything to do with them and they'd never do a such a thing - which appeared to be accepted.

The last week or so of ACM stories cast that in a somewhat different light.

Also, everyone knows what Star Wars is. That's why that reference or homage would work. Almost no one knew or knows what Code Hunters is.

eshwaaz

I can't believe it's taken this long for things to explode in Pitchford's face. His brand of PR has been utterly shameless for many years now.

thumb

Banned
Also, everyone knows what Star Wars is. That's why that reference or homage would work. Almost no one knew or knows what Code Hunters is.

And a lot of the kids playing Borderlands may have never seen Top Gun. A reference or homage need not be grokked by everyone to be meaningful for the developer, and some may be quite obscure. In any case, my point is that this is not so cut and dry.

AkuMifune

Banned
And a lot of the kids playing Borderlands may have never seen Top Gun. A reference or homage need not be grokked by everyone to be meaningful for the developer, and some may be quite obscure. In any case, my point is that this is not so cut and dry.

Randy, you old dog you!

And if you don't get my reference, it's because references only work if they are based on something a lot of people understand. Otherwise it's stealing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But somehow I can't hate Gearbox.

They made Opposing Force, Brothers in Arms and BiA: Earned in Blood.

I don't hate him. I'm just really disappointed that this guy lied to Sega and everyone else to line his pockets. He raised our hopes that we would finally get the game that the Aliens movies deserve and instead farmed it out so he could work on his own pet project and continued to lie to Sega about the state of the project and ultimately was forced to delivered this turd rather then get sued by Sega for delaying it further.

Actually now that I come to think of it. I do hate him.

Effect

He means it will lose Sega tons of money, no?

Unless Sega possibly gave them the option of paying them their money back or not and Sega takes them to court and tires to bleed them dry. It also could mean they've actually been losing contracts for other games or just financial backing in general.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They probably should have just let this game die back in 2008 when they could have gotten out without the blowback. Yeesh.

Although, maybe all they need to do is make a new Clap Trap video and all will be forgiven?

Top Bottom